As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Natural Disasters] Talk About Your Heavy Weather Here

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    LoisLane wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    Chimera wrote: »
    0lwzofobhqh8.jpg

This is not a river. This is I-40 in North Carolina right now.
    First time I've even seen I-40 not choked with traffic.

So are gators an actual concern or has TV poisoned my mind. I am not ashamed if the question is dumb.

Not that far north, no.

Edit: it’s within their historic range, certainly, but populations in the Carolinas are tiny and confined to endangered wetlands. The flooding is not.

Edit edit: for further context that is a highway through a forest not a river through a swamp. Normally there would be no standing water in that photo.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    From what little time I spent in the South, I always just assume that every puddle big enough to hide a gator had a gator. They are everywhere. It'd be like in the PNW every tree had a gator in it.

I might exaggerate a bit. But they are plentiful in that area for sure.

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Meeqe wrote: »
    From what little time I spent in the South, I always just assume that every puddle big enough to hide a gator had a gator. They are everywhere. It'd be like in the PNW every tree had a gator in it.

I might exaggerate a bit. But they are plentiful in that area for sure.

FL rule of thumb - if you can't see the bottom, there's a gator in it.

96058.png?1619393207
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I won't say that there are no gators in eastern NC, except the swamplands, but of bigger concern are poisonous snakes.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Yes but there are also sometimes catfish
    You won't know until you noodle

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I won't say that there are no gators in eastern NC, except the swamplands, but of bigger concern are poisonous snakes.

I've spent a fair amount of time in swamps in Eastern NC, and I will say I can count the number of gators I have seen on one hand. They are a lot more common as you head south, though.

Poisonous snakes are everywhere, not uncommon to see copperheads just hanging around in residential neighborhoods. The water mocassins are the ones you really need to worry about though.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Might be snapping turtles around too, but I'd worry more for the turtles in all that pollution.

Anyway, a map I found.

MetStormLive_72h_ARI_20180917_1300UTC.jpg

An over thousand year flood over maybe a fourth of North Carolina and some of South Carolina too. And that water is taking a long time to drain.

• ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Turtles are an issue and are snakes but the real danger is the rafts of fire ants! Those things are like literally totes the worst. They just float around in the flood and god help you if one bumps into you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ZysgGAABw

Chimera on
  • ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    0lwzofobhqh8.jpg

Sadly looking at 40 out my office window here in OKC and it is dry and filled with awful traffic. :(

Yeah but everything in Oklahoma is dry and filled with awful traffic.

Bazing!

Yeah well.... Your face is dry and full of traffic! D:<

fair!

(I lived in Lawton for 8 horrible years)

Ewwwww... yeah that place suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I don't mind the Wichita Mountains though and I have seen some nice storms around Lawton including one where the tire plant got hit by a tornado.

I spent a ton of time up in the Wichita Mountains for the Army.

We got a few glimpses of some twisters living in the area, including a rain-wrapped twister (which we couldn't see, but we could feel it rumble the ground as it rolled on by).

Yeah? Wich ones?

Nothing big. We saw one skip over the house the same day Moore got ravaged during that outbreak and a couple out west of town on 40 (Synder 2015 especially). We felt the Goodyear one in 2013.

Haha, I was on the Goodyear one! I got robbed at a Stripes that day while pumping gas. Some people pulled up next to my car while the tornado sirens were going off and grabbed my camera out of my car before I could stop them.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    0lwzofobhqh8.jpg

Sadly looking at 40 out my office window here in OKC and it is dry and filled with awful traffic. :(

Yeah but everything in Oklahoma is dry and filled with awful traffic.

Bazing!

Yeah well.... Your face is dry and full of traffic! D:<

fair!

(I lived in Lawton for 8 horrible years)

Ewwwww... yeah that place suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. I don't mind the Wichita Mountains though and I have seen some nice storms around Lawton including one where the tire plant got hit by a tornado.

I spent a ton of time up in the Wichita Mountains for the Army.

We got a few glimpses of some twisters living in the area, including a rain-wrapped twister (which we couldn't see, but we could feel it rumble the ground as it rolled on by).

Yeah? Wich ones?

Nothing big. We saw one skip over the house the same day Moore got ravaged during that outbreak and a couple out west of town on 40 (Synder 2015 especially). We felt the Goodyear one in 2013.

Haha, I was on the Goodyear one! I got robbed at a Stripes that day while pumping gas. Some people pulled up next to my car while the tornado sirens were going off and grabbed my camera out of my car before I could stop them.

Sounds like Lawton, through and through.

edited September 2018
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Might be snapping turtles around too, but I'd worry more for the turtles in all that pollution.

Anyway, a map I found.

An over thousand year flood over maybe a fourth of North Carolina and some of South Carolina too. And that water is taking a long time to drain.

The big issue right now in eastern NC is that we are getting hundred/thousand year floods every four or five years.

A bit of an exaggeration maybe, but since 1999 there have been three catastrophic flood events in less than 20 years.

Jealous Deva on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Anyway, a map I found.

The big issue right now in eastern NC is that we are getting hundred/thousand year floods every four or five years.

A bit of an exaggeration maybe, but since 1999 there have been three catastrophic flood events in less than 20 years.

It's almost like some kind of systemic change is going on to make guidelines set between the 1750s and 1950 less useful in forecasting future events. Some kind of change to the overall climate which will place a massive burden on red states like the Carolinas and Louisiana. I'm sure people there will soon take notice, and vote in their own interest to keep themselves safe from this new "environment change" phenomenon you and I have just discovered. It will I'm sure be a unifying force in US politics.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Turtles are an issue and are snakes but the real danger is the rafts of fire ants! Those things are like literally totes the worst. They just float around in the flood and god help you if one bumps into you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2ZysgGAABw

100% percent this.
    100%. I can't agree hard enough.

The Carolinas: North America's Australia.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Brock Long, FEMA director, is under a corruption investigation

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/18/politics/fema-official-suspended-investigation-brock-long/index.html
    A senior official at the Federal Emergency Management Agency has been suspended without pay related to a Department of Homeland Security inspector general investigation into whether FEMA Administrator Brock Long used government vehicles for personal reasons, according to an administration official.

tbloxham wrote: »

Anyway, a map I found.

It's almost like some kind of systemic change is going on to make guidelines set between the 1750s and 1950 less useful in forecasting future events. Some kind of change to the overall climate which will place a massive burden on red states like the Carolinas and Louisiana. I'm sure people there will soon take notice, and vote in their own interest to keep themselves safe from this new "environment change" phenomenon you and I have just discovered. It will I'm sure be a unifying force in US politics.

A good review on this:

https://www.theguardian.com/weather/ng-interactive/2018/sep/11/atlantic-hurricanes-are-storms-getting-worse

TLDR, while it is a bit too short term to make sweeping conclusions, it does seem like hurricanes have gotten worse in the last 20 or so years in several metrics and it appears this is probably the new normal.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Man Flo just starts tearing ass as she approaches the coast, slams into NC and just stops...then finds an 11th gear working out over the North East and dissipates.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Anyway, a map I found.

A good review on this:

https://www.theguardian.com/weather/ng-interactive/2018/sep/11/atlantic-hurricanes-are-storms-getting-worse

TLDR, while it is a bit too short term to make sweeping conclusions, it does seem like hurricanes have gotten worse in the last 20 or so years in several metrics and it appears this is probably the new normal.

It may be too complex to make sweeping claims about Hurricanes, it is definately NOT too complex to make sweeping claims about sea level rise.

The sea levels have risen. By about 6 inches. Higher seas mean higher coastal flooding from the same storm surge strength, and higher coastal flooding means longer lasting and higher inland flooding. So hurricanes could remain the exact same strength, and simply higher sea levels would mean more damage to low lying coastal states like the ones I describe.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The sea levels have risen. By about 6 inches. Higher seas mean higher coastal flooding from the same storm surge strength, and higher coastal flooding means longer lasting and higher inland flooding. So hurricanes could remain the exact same strength, and simply higher sea levels would mean more damage to low lying coastal states like the ones I describe.

How much of the sea level rise is attributable to which sources? Glaciers have obviously retreated significantly (I've visited a few and the pictures from, say, 1910 vs. the terrain you say today is unbelievable). Is the bulk of it from Greenland or Antarctic melting or what?

• LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Thanks to everyone for answering my question!

As a note, while the official range of alligators is mostly around the wilmington area, there have been sightings as far east as Johnston and Wake counties within the past few years, to the point where wildlife officials have been requesting people watch for them and send photos so if there really is an expansion of territory they can study it.

It's thought that at least some of the sightings have been escaped animals from reptile facilities (zoos, study enclosures, etc) but they have been frequent enough to call the range into question.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, over on our side of the Atlantic, Storm Ali has been storming away. We seem to have come through it unscathed where I am, though I’ve seen quite a few fallen trees and dented cars, and our Electricity Supply Board say about 20,000 people have lost power.

Sadly, there have been two fatalities. A woman in Galway was killed when the caravan she was camping in blew over a cliff, and a man in Northern Ireland was hit by a falling tree.

As a note, while the official range of alligators is mostly around the wilmington area, there have been sightings as far east as Johnston and Wake counties within the past few years, to the point where wildlife officials have been requesting people watch for them and send photos so if there really is an expansion of territory they can study it.

It's thought that at least some of the sightings have been escaped animals from reptile facilities (zoos, study enclosures, etc) but they have been frequent enough to call the range into question.

Supposedly one of the chasers in Wilmington sighted a gator after the storm! Sadly I didn't see any.
    Meanwhile, over on our side of the Atlantic, Storm Ali has been storming away. We seem to have come through it unscathed where I am, though I’ve seen quite a few fallen trees and dented cars, and our Electricity Supply Board say about 20,000 people have lost power.

Sadly, there have been two fatalities. A woman in Galway was killed when the caravan she was camping in blew over a cliff, and a man in Northern Ireland was hit by a falling tree.

You know parking next to a cliff in a camper is likely not a good idea when you have a windstorm forecasted to hit.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Supposedly one of the chasers in Wilmington sighted a gator after the storm! Sadly I didn't see any.

You know parking next to a cliff in a camper is likely not a good idea when you have a windstorm forecasted to hit.

There are a ton of 12 to 15 footers that hang out by the battleship in Wilmington. The waterway running through the marshlands around and behind the battleship (between the Brunswick and Cape Fear rivers) is called Alligator Creek for a reason - hundreds of them out there. The entire southeast North Carolina region is heavily populated by alligators, but they thin out by the time you get to the state line. Even then, there are a lot of alligators in the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge near the Virginia border.

There are a ton of 12 to 15 footers that hang out by the battleship in Wilmington. The waterway running through the marshlands around and behind the battleship (between the Brunswick and Cape Fear rivers) is called Alligator Creek for a reason - hundreds of them out there. The entire southeast North Carolina region is heavily populated by alligators, but they thin out by the time you get to the state line. Even then, there are a lot of alligators in the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge near the Virginia border.

That's pretty cool! We only have them in a tiny area down in southeast Oklahoma and the population there is really small.

It was the sort of caravan that’s left in one place for long periods, so far as I can tell. I expect she assumed she was anchored enough, since the West coast doesn’t exactly lack for storms.

It was the sort of caravan that’s left in one place for long periods, so far as I can tell. I expect she assumed she was anchored enough, since the West coast doesn’t exactly lack for storms.

So like a mobile home?

So like a mobile home?

From what I can see, yes. Still very flimsy, especially considering shipping containers were toppled in this storm, but I expect she was already on the cliff and just didn't click that the caravan would be in danger and she needed to get it moved or leave it.

"One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water." -Donald Trump commenting on Hurricane Florence during his trip to North Carolina to survey the damage.

As opposed to what, a dust storm? Breaking news, WATER MAKES THINGS WET!

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    "One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water." -Donald Trump commenting on Hurricane Florence during his trip to North Carolina to survey the damage.

Or does the water get things instead? Nobody knows.

edited September 2018
    Fencingsax wrote: »

BREAKING NEWS! WATER IS WOKE, GETS THINGS!

Chimera on
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    I mean, if water is saying "damn, that's wet," that's really saying something.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

From the standpoint of water, is everything wet or is nothing wet?

Couscous on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Size of the entire hurricane, man.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Trump thinks finders keepers might apply to yachts that washed up in the hurricane.

NYT reporter:

My brain.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump thinks finders keepers might apply to yachts that washed up in the hurricane.

NYT reporter:

My brain.

Oh, that's not the worst.

That would be him basically saying "hey, is my golf course okay?"

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

NYT reporter:

My brain.

The dog's name is "Orange Asshole," BTW.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

NYT reporter:

My brain.

Oh, that's not the worst.

That would be him basically saying "hey, is my golf course okay?"

I would place good money he already asked that. Of several people. And that he had to be convinced firmly that he NOT say it in public.

There's no way that isn't his first response to any severe weather in an area he has property.

EDIT: Dammit. It was apparently fourth. Though I call for a push based on this being reported remarks in a meeting, not his first questions in private.

Brett Kelman is a reporter for The Tennessean, among other works.

"Trump’s storm “briefing” in N.C. was surreal. First, nobody briefed him; politicians mostly just thanked him. Second, he praised local officials for their “talent.” Third, he said we have the strongest economy ever. Fourth, he asked about Lake Norman, where his golf course is."

MorganV on
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    The Carolinas: North America's Australia.

I mean, it is like the only place on earth with plants that have actual mouths.

This discussion has been closed.