As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender/Korra] This Decade-Old Thread is Closed

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    All I want is for Sokka to have the right amount of snark. He made the original show for me.

And his complicated relationship with the moon.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Sorce wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why they're doing it in the first place. By the time they finished both series, Mike and Brian came just short of saying they hated working on the property. Now, that's generally because of all the stress involved with the work that goes into the making of the show and dealing with the network overlords, and not because they legitimately hate the characters and story and whatever, but going back to the well a third time just to remake the first series doesn't seem like a smart idea.
    Quid wrote: »
    I remember them saying they were tired of it at the time but weren’t opposed to going back after a break. Konietzko has been posting Avatar art on his tumblr for a long while now.

I suspect working under Netflix instead of Nickelodeon also makes it more attractive.

Yeah, they're working under Netflix is the big thing. Netflix's extent of involvement will probably be to back up the money truck to the studio and let them do their thing because Netflix knows how big Avatar's install/viewership base is.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    All I want is for Sokka to have the right amount of snark. He made the original show for me.

And his complicated relationship with the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPpwMRH7Kbg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If we're talking visuals, GitS was a damned good live action adaptation. But that was Hollywood blockbuster dollars.

I'm not super stoked about seeing the same story told again but with real people, but i'm definitely going to give it a shot. Since it's free, and all.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I admit to mixed feelings regarding whether or not a live-action adaptation can successfully be done.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I've been meaning to take a look at Avatar +Legend of Korra but unless the Live action show gets absolutely amazing reviews I really don't see myself watching it over the animated shows.

I'll admit this is said by someone with only a cursory knowledge of the source material. But a good adaption should allow the material to do something that couldn't be done in the original. And I get the feeling the switch from animated to live action will be the reverse.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Call me crazy, but I would almost rather it not be the original creators writing the new show...? I know that brings up memories of the film-which-shall-not-be-named, and I could be wrong about this, but it felt like their style was well-suited to an animated show and might come across as corny in a live-action setting.

But maybe they can adapt themselves to fit the medium and I'm worrying over nothing. I'll definitely give it a shot provided the reviews aren't terrible.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd super prefer that they move on to the next Avatar, but what the hell, I'm down.
    Given the advances between Aang and Korra, the Earth Avatar would probably be happening in virtually present day technology (computers, internet, etc), and the Fire one would be actual sci-fi with this relic of the past using elements instead of lasers.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I admit to mixed feelings regarding whether or not a live-action adaptation can successfully be done.

My feelings are not very mixed - I am overwhelmingly on the "Avatar is right in the middle of the venn diagram for stuff animation does better than live action" train of thought. I'm open to being proven wrong, but I don't expect it in the slightest.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'd super prefer that they move on to the next Avatar, but what the hell, I'm down.
    Given the advances between Aang and Korra, the Earth Avatar would probably be happening in virtually present day technology (computers, internet, etc), and the Fire one would be actual sci-fi with this relic of the past using elements instead of lasers.

I’d honestly really dig a modern day Avatar, imagine a metal bending gun fu guy, or seeing huge spirits floating beside an aeroplane, or gang warfare with people that still regularly practice martial arts. What about the new air nomads? Are they abusing that power? How? Is the vast Earth Kingdom still one nation? Do spirits interfere with technology, or meld with it? Have any humans crossed over to the Spirit World with heavy artillery and staked a claim?

Eh, I’m just gonna have to let this one go.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Someone's probably thought a lot about what is possible given that they decided to pick it up for a live action adaptation, I suspect it'll look fine. At least from what I've seen they don't put out a lot of bad looking live action stuff on Netflix.

BUT

What if they throw Altered Carbon medium-sized-country-gdp money on it? That would be so fucking cool.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I will not believe in a Netflix-series until it is good enough to kill me.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I think going a bit into the future would be even better. Combine Avatar with some neon cyberpunk. I'd prefer that to be animation, too, though.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I'd much rather we get a past Avatar than a future one. Something I love about A:TLA is the pace and the emphasis on landscape and all the unpredictable, untamed wilderness. I would much much prefer that that got more time to breathe.

I also don't like sci-fi in general so that's part of it heh

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'd also be happy with a show about Kyoshi.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    I'd also be happy with a show about Kyoshi.

Or the Fire Avatar before Roku. See what cultural rifts might have lead to the decision to attack other Nations.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If we're cobbling together wish lists, what I would really love is a Disney-quality movie in that universe. The two series were beautiful for their budgets, but a high quality treatment would be stunning.

But that ain't happening.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I wonder how much it'll change, plot-wise.
    It would be a real tragedy to lose classics like The Great Divide.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I imagine it’s gonna be heavily truncated and probably cap around ten or so episodes.

• Options
    I imagine it’s gonna be heavily truncated and probably cap around ten or so episodes.

So long as they keep some of the key episodes. Tales of Ba Sing See...

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I would love to see a multi million dollar live action take on The Drill.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m just being silly now, but a man can dream.

Having read this thread I’d actually love an era and avatar per episode, using it to discuss life, love and change, how there is always a big bad guy and heroes out to stop them, big philosophical stuff. Make the Aang episode be the events in Ba Sing Se, have Korra’s episode be the finale of season one.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I’m just being silly now, but a man can dream.

Having read this thread I’d actually love an era and avatar per episode, using it to discuss life, love and change, how there is always a big bad guy and heroes out to stop them, big philosophical stuff. Make the Aang episode be the events in Ba Sing Se, have Korra’s episode be the finale of season one.

I could buy this as a season. Episode is not long enough to establish characters that are interesting, much less real themes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah a really underestimated part of what makes the original series so good is that it revolved entirely around character development, rather than the standard DragonballZ MOAR POWAH plot. Like, when you actually analyze the show, a hugely inordinate amount of time is spent on things like character dialogue/interactions or introspection - things that most other shows, even adult live-action ones, do not give a lot of screen time.

If they're just going to do a typical 10-episode Netflix series then it's going to be very watered down on the things that actually made the original show great, and they will feel compelled expend a lot of time and budget on the special effects. This is the biggest thing that has me concerned about a live-action show.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Count me on the "would rather have another animated series" train. I just don't see the upside to live action but who knows. Also redoing TLA just seems to invite criticism. Do something else.

I just rewatched these shows, finished them like two weeks ago and started reading the comics for the first time. Weird timing.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I want TLA as narrated by old Toph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y910FVrywFU

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I think going a bit into the future would be even better. Combine Avatar with some neon cyberpunk. I'd prefer that to be animation, too, though.

With neon being a gas, would that come under airbending? Because I can imagine some trippy visuals.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »

With neon being a gas, would that come under airbending? Because I can imagine some trippy visuals.

Inert? Maybe

When active? I think it's a plasma at that point, so Fire bending, Lightning bending specialization

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I like Sokka.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    I like Sokka.

He appreciated the truly important things in life. Meat. Activities. Space swords.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    They need to keep the Toph blind jokes in.

Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWw9g7nSesQ

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    First look at the ATLA funko pops! *buys 1000 Appas*

f8kktcxfy9221.png

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    If you want Appa stuff, I got my wife this for our first Christmas while we were dating.

https://smile.amazon.com/Nickelodeon-Universe-Avatar-Appa-Plush/dp/B004O27E36/
    It's still on our bed

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    SECRET TUNNELLL!
    SECRET TUNNEEELLL!!

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »
    If you want Appa stuff, I got my wife this for our first Christmas while we were dating.

https://smile.amazon.com/Nickelodeon-Universe-Avatar-Appa-Plush/dp/B004O27E36/
    It's still on our bed

Already have one.

And a Momo.

And a Naga.

And a Pabu.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I kinda want that Appa. First Funko I'd buy ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    All of the Pops:
    97if31j8z9421.jpg

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I have never understood the draw to those things

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Zuko's scar is on the wrong side. /EmberIslandPlayers

Joke aside, I kinda want the Appa and Iroh ones. Very tempting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I have never understood the draw to those things

The Apu one just looks like Apu.