As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Fucking hell I hate Fancy Nancy.

It's not Caillou bad but it's close

Yeah, it's really bad, and the graphics are deep enough in the Uncanny Valley to be distracting, unlike slightly older shows like Doc McStuffins.

From the one episode I saw, it was bad enough to make me re-evaluate and retroactively hate all the books. Turns out she's just a little shit that always gets what she wants and doesn't suffer any consequences for her actions.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Benjamin Jude Joel is here!

Strong first name choice. He'll be handsome, smart, and successful. Not biased or anything...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Speaking of sleeping. Our kid is still rolling over on his stomach when he sleeps, causing him to wake up screaming. I'm not getting much sleep and am feeling stressed and helpless.

We've got constant white noise playing, which seems to have helped a little bit. He's wearing mittens because he scratches his face when he gets fussy. I've tried putting him down when he's drowsy and not asleep so he can learn on his own, but it isn't sticking. It's like, "Come on kid, just don't roll all the way over. This isn't rocket science!" *rolls over on face again*

Anyone have any protips? I'll try anything at this point.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Could you try just holding him 'till he's asleep, then putting him down? At least until rolling on his stomach doesn't freak him out so much. Obviously you want him to be able to sleep on his own, but there's always time to try that later since it seems like you're not getting really any sleep now.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Is he getting rollover practice /tummy time during the day?

It's a sucky period, I remember. That was about when we started using sleep sacks. Maybe that might help keep him on his back?

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    Could you try just holding him 'till he's asleep, then putting him down? At least until rolling on his stomach doesn't freak him out so much. Obviously you want him to be able to sleep on his own, but there's always time to try that later since it seems like you're not getting really any sleep now.

We can get him down no problem by holding him sideways against our chest. The problem is once we put him in the crib, the crying starts up again. Sometimes he stays on his side and is good, but often times he rolls over and is set off. The worst is when he looks like he's going to sleep, but then does the "spooked" thing and wakes himself up. It's so frustrating.
    So It Goes wrote: »

It's a sucky period, I remember. That was about when we started using sleep sacks. Maybe that might help keep him on his back?

We were using wraps for a long time, but he grew out of them. I thought they were dangerous once they could roll over to their stomach. Maybe if his arms were free? I'll look into it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Your experience may vary, but you could consider something like the Merlin SleepSuit. They do suggest transitioning out of it once baby starts rolling, but I don't think it's critical the way it would be for a swaddle. Our lazy non rolling 7 month old is still in it, and it definitely seems to provide a good deal of comfort, and may dissuade him from rolling in the first place.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    whoops wrong thread!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

We can get him down no problem by holding him sideways against our chest. The problem is once we put him in the crib, the crying starts up again. Sometimes he stays on his side and is good, but often times he rolls over and is set off. The worst is when he looks like he's going to sleep, but then does the "spooked" thing and wakes himself up. It's so frustrating.

Just as a sanity check :) , I've heard (and this seems decently accurate from experience) that it can take ~20 minutes for a baby to actually fall into a deep sleep. Are you holding him after he's "fallen asleep" for that long before putting him in the crib?

We were using wraps for a long time, but he grew out of them. I thought they were dangerous once they could roll over to their stomach. Maybe if his arms were free? I'll look into it.

Yes, you need their arms out. There are sleep sacks for babies specifically for this, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Wearable-Blanket-Bunnies-Months/dp/B076J1DSH2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1537303410&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=baby+sleep+sack&psc=1. (I just grabbed the first one I saw on Amazon that was similar to what we have.)

It seems to help ours sleep, though. Gets you the secure swaddle feeling without actually being confined or whatnot. Plus, as you aren't supposed to use blankets, it's a nice way to keep warm now that winter is coming!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

Just as a sanity check :) , I've heard (and this seems decently accurate from experience) that it can take ~20 minutes for a baby to actually fall into a deep sleep. Are you holding him after he's "fallen asleep" for that long before putting him in the crib?

Yes, you need their arms out. There are sleep sacks for babies specifically for this, for example: https://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Wearable-Blanket-Bunnies-Months/dp/B076J1DSH2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1537303410&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=baby+sleep+sack&psc=1. (I just grabbed the first one I saw on Amazon that was similar to what we have.)

It seems to help ours sleep, though. Gets you the secure swaddle feeling without actually being confined or whatnot. Plus, as you aren't supposed to use blankets, it's a nice way to keep warm now that winter is coming!

68wy5f0vftc8.png

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Yep arms will be free, like in the ones kime linked

We have a very nice Merino wool one which is good for winter

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I am...

not going well. I'm really not coping with this 2.5 year old hating me.

I know it's a stage. I know it's just a thing that she'll eventually grow out of. But the constantly being pushed away, told to go away, told she doesn't like me and then the almost immediate asking for hugs and kisses and cuddles and then the 'i luff you mom' is just.

just.

fuck, man. I dunno.

On top of the general feelings of inadequacy being brought about because all my girlfriends are doing the SAHM thing and I'm very much not and maybe i"m just not the right kind of tired to justify being tired. Or maybe she'd be more attached if I did SAH. But I'd be miserable and impossible to live with and wouldn't that be worse for her and me and all of us in the long run?

I'm very fortunate to live in a country where being a SAHM is possible, at least for my friends. But I am just not made for it. And does that make me weak?

But seriously. The emotional toll that a 2.5 year old can have on you is not something to be underestimated.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    :bro:
    I'd like to say it gets easier, but I think kids just come up with different ways to emotionally get you as they get older

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    @lonelyahava it absolutely in no way makes you weak. Being a SAHP is really freaking hard and not everyone is suited to it. And even the people who are suited to it want time off from that job. I know I do pretty frequently and I bet good money that if you ask your friends who SAH they will tell you the same. There are days where I give serious consideration to going back to work because omg if this kid screams one more time I’m going to go insane! Having the self awareness to know what is best for both you and your baby is a strength that many people do not possess. Be proud that you do.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    A wild babby appears!

S6gJspQl.jpg

joshofalltrades family uses SNUGGLE

JEAlfval.jpg

It’s super effective!

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oh my gosh the squishy!!!

Mazel Tov my friend! A blessing on your house and family!

May you have a lifetime of happiness, little one.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My Tov has never been Mazel’d before! I’m so happy!

• Options
    The wife’s first day back to work after her maternity leave has ended. The kids decided to celebrate in their own ways.

Luke surprised me by not sleeping more than 20 minutes from 4am on. Abigail thought waking up early at 7am would start the day off right. Once mommy woke up, both kids played nice and ate breakfast.

The moment she left though, they turned it up to 11. Luke was screaming non-stop if I wasn’t holding him AND walking around. No sitting for you! Abigail kept doing things she shouldn’t because I wasn’t able to watch her full-time. By the time I found her, she’d already dunked mommy’s slipper into the dogs water bowl.

Speaking of the dog, at the height of the screaming and insanity, she decides to have an anxiety attack she’s been having recently. Non-stop panting, barking to go out, not going out, and constantly following around and climbing up my leg.

I just dropped off Abigail with grandma at the gym. Luke is sleeping in the back seat. I’m writing this post to calm myself down before hitting the road. I’m exhausted, sore, and my back is killing me.

Just need a few deep breaths. It’s all good. This will all pass eventually. I’ll make it, right?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I think we get stronger, assuming we manage to make it to the other side alive and not insane. Which honestly seem like pretty big assumptions to make right now, and might just be the sleep deprivation talking

My third little guy just went from the four month sleep regression straight to the six month sleep regression, and I think we managed to squeeze three whole nights of decent sleep out of the whole damn two months. Daddy's little sadist

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Now that the weather is turning fine again and Kees has started school we've started walking to school in the mornings. Previously his preschool was just to far and he was too small, but his school is stupid close and simple to get to so now that we've had a week of fine weather we can just walk out the door, go past my train station, turn the corner and drop him at the gate. Sometimes we take the dog, sometimes we just amble along ourselves, looking for ducks and pukeko in the stream.

When we're done I can just loop back to my train station and head into the office. All it takes is heading off 10-15 minutes earlier, and Kees seems to value getting some 1-on-1 time with me in the morning more than cartoons right now. I'm sure that will change in a week or two once the shine wears off, but for now we're taking an enjoyable walk in the morning and hopefully I can instill in him some of my own love of walking before the next exciting new thing comes along.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Abigail: Pancakes!
    Me: You want pancakes?
    Her: Yea!
    *I make pancakes*
    Her:
    piur2zwv1yba.jpeg

Me: Might be time to add afternoon naps back in.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    She's just sad you broke the pancakes

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Look, MNC, I know what you're trying to do but it won't work, I still think she's adorable.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    She's just sad you broke the pancakes

But that’s how she likes them.

Also, 10 minutes later:

bglc8xpkmojv.jpeg

Called it!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Well my niece is certainly doing a thing. I guess she's finally picked up on "chicken nuggets" having the word "chicken" in it. And what sound do chickens make?

Now she calls nuggets "bok bok."

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Edit: can’t post my pic, so imagine two 16mo twins exceptionally upset that they’ve managed to climb into their toybox and now can’t get out. The perils of being independently mobile.

pezgen on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    18th month checkup and our "little boy" is in the 98th percentile for height. Good grief we breed some giants.

He's also learning from his brother and sister. Started pushing chairs up to counters to access things he shouldn't months ago. I don't think my older two did that till they were 2 years old.

• Options
    My baby’s sleep routine:

Step 1: scream uncontrollably
    Step 2: acquire binky and calm immediately
    Step 3: wait 10 seconds then savagely pull binky from mouth
    Step 4: go to step 1

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Throw out of crib, cry because it got thrown out of crib...

• Options
    Baby boy's poops are strong like bull, now that he's eating solids. I am going to have to figure out something better than sunlight to deal with the stains on his cloth liners.

But it's ok, I forgive him, he did a stellar job of dealing with nap-laddering yesterday.

• Options
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dang, how did this happen? How did I suddenly have a five year old running around the house?

We're all exhausted from this weekend. He had a birthday party at a soft-play place on Saturday so we spent pretty much the whole day making the buffet for that, then on Sunday we went to Alton Towers where we walked about 10 miles doing all the rides he wanted. I got to sneakily nip onto the Smiler and Wicker Man during down-times so that was fun.

It's his actual birthday today so obviously after a busy weekend the thing to do is invite all local family round for dinner.

I just want to not walk anywhere for a bit but because we were out all weekend I've got to go to the shops over lunch. Sigh.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Baby boy's poops are strong like bull, now that he's eating solids. I am going to have to figure out something better than sunlight to deal with the stains on his cloth liners.

But it's ok, I forgive him, he did a stellar job of dealing with nap-laddering yesterday.

Nap-laddering?

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    dunno if any of you guys follow truck tunes in your family homes - the greatest youtube channel in history, kid-focused or otherwise - but the latest tune, 'ice cream truck', may be the best one yet

caution: the bass is phat

https://youtu.be/osIjXAIkQmk

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Ranlin wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »

Nap-laddering?

A 1.5 hour nap 2 hours after wake up time in the morning, then another 1.5 hour nap with a 3 hour gap, then a 4 hour gap until bedtime.

It did not work as well yesterday.

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    dunno if any of you guys follow truck tunes in your family homes - the greatest youtube channel in history, kid-focused or otherwise - but the latest tune, 'ice cream truck', may be the best one yet

caution: the bass is phat

https://youtu.be/osIjXAIkQmk

That's gotta be the nicest look ice cream truck I've ever seen.
    All the ones in my area (outside DC) look to be older than I am. Paint so faded you almost can't make out the menu any more.

We have a silly songs CD that has "Turkey in the Straw" on it, so my kids have been listening to the "ice cream song" for a long time. They've only recently connected it to the truck though.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Kid just found a package of pepper flakes.....

Two cups of milk later, she's totally fine, but man, she hasn't drooled that much since she was an infant.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    There's an ice cream truck in my neighborhood (usually comes around to serve the construction crews) that parks about 50' away from the bus stop when the kids are coming home from school.

As one of the parents usually at the bus stop, I'm simultaneously annoyed at his predatory practices and impressed with his business acumen.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    There used to be an icecream truck that parked in front of my kids' playground. This summer, they weren't there. Usually, I was fine with that.... But sometimes I missed it. Thankfully, random guy with a cart would show up with icecream and Italian ice occasionally. Plus, his was a lot less expensive.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Ayyyy Siglet got lice

I don't think I have lice after combing my hair a bunch but

:rotate:

This discussion has been closed.