As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

television: maybe you shouldn't watch it. i dunno.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Man...now I just want film/tv versions of all Borges's stuff. A good "Death and The Compass" would be wild and a fun mystery twist that I don't think I remember seeing ripped off or replicated.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Has anyone seen the new Lost in Space series on Netflix? It worth checking out? I'm trying to get back to watching like, actual scripted sci fi tv and movie stuff. I still feel like there isn't a good replacement for the parts of the X-Files I liked best, which was the episodic case-of-the-week sort of thing.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Has anyone seen the new Lost in Space series on Netflix? It worth checking out? I'm trying to get back to watching like, actual scripted sci fi tv and movie stuff. I still feel like there isn't a good replacement for the parts of the X-Files I liked best, which was the episodic case-of-the-week sort of thing.

I liked it a fair bit! It felt like it could have been sandwiched in a lineup in a nineties sci-fi block with stuff like seaQuest DSV and like Earth 2. And I mean that in the best way. It can be a bit meat and potatoes at points, but the cast is great and its a very well put together show. Frankly, it's refreshing to see the problems introduced at the beginning of an episode solved in fairly clever ways by the time the credits run. Even the serialization feels more "what happens next?" than the mystery box alternative.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    yeah, I still haven't finished it, but it reminded me of mass effect andromeda, of all things, a game which I also didn't finish. but I mean that in a positive way! the trappings and man vs. environment aspects of sci fi are doin a fair bit of that lifting, but MEA and it both share some DNA with the charms of the middling-yet-watchable 90s sci fi of my youth

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I really liked the new Lost in Space.

The family dynamic is really well done, the robot is cool, and Ally Sheedy Parker Posey is really good.

I recommend it to basically anyone.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    Yeah Robot was really cool. As much as I wish it kinda hearkened a bit more to the classic B9 I loved it by the end. Also solid suit work.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Lost in Space was fine. But after I finished the fifth episode and took a break, I didn’t really feel compelled to keep going. Part of it is that their version Dr. Smith really strained my credulity.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I enjoyed the new lost in space, but I did feel like it dragged in a couple spots. Though that’s typical of Netflix dramas, and maybe just more noticeable when you binge a series.

rhylith on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm late but we finished Castle Rock last night and I liked it! It was a good show.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Okay, my wife and I were watching all of Person of Interest, so we were late in watching Luke Cage: Season 2, and so that became our new nightly show to watch.

We enjoyed that, and literally the last day of watching Luke Cage, Iron Fist: Season 2 came out.

Well...might as well.

It is markedly better than the first season, though Joy has like the second-flimsiest villain motivation I can think of (trailing only behind the comic version of Eddie Brock). Though at least Misty calls her on it.

Anyways, Misty is a main character in this show as well, which is good since she's great. As in Colleen. And the newly-added Mary. Additionally, the female characters get a pretty big focus this season, and Danny kind of takes a bit of a backseat.
    Especially since he has the Iron Fist powers stolen from him like a third of the way into the season, and then shortly after that he gets his leg broken.

Also, he doesn't get the Iron Fist powers back from Davos...
    Colleen does. She even gets the big super-hero punch where her and Davos punch each other's glowing fists for a giant shockwave.

As soon as they started talking about stealing the powers back from Davos, my wife and I were joking that Colleen should get them instead of Danny. Then that actually got brought up in the show.

We were like, "No way, they might try to give them to her but Danny's going to get his powers back."

Then they start the ceremony. "Well, she might have them for a little while, but it'll turn out they're killing her or something and Danny will have to take them back."

Nope, she beats the villain and keeps the powers. And also learns how to channel them through her katana.

(Granted, the very last second of the show seems to indicate Danny also got his powers back, though that may just be related to the weapons he's holding)

My only real complaint is when Mary's plotline gets to where you're expecting it to the entire season...it just ends. Kind of a "haha, hope we get another season so you can see this revelation come to fruition."

Though there were also two smaller things that annoyed me:

*Nobody ever mentioned the Punisher in relation to Davos's whole "kill the bad people" thing.
    *No Luke Cage. Just a quick mention at one point. I seriously thought Misty was going to get him at one point but nope.

Claire also doesn't get a cameo this time. Turk still does, and it might be the first time nobody punched him or broke his stuff?

Anyways, give me a Colleen/Misty show. And stick Mary in one of the Marvel shows (or give her her own) if Iron Fist doesn't get another season.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'd be cool with a Daughters of the Dragon show, yes.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    CheersWatch, Season 8

An observation
    Rebecca, talking to Sam about a shitty burger joint she's become obsessed with (her rich scumbag of a boyfriend "spontaneously" seduced her there, as we shortly learn he's done to several other women), says "you know, this place might seem like a real dive, but to me it's something special," and it cuts to Sam's face, and he just has this distant, heartbroken look

And knowing the series ends with the acknowledgement that Sam's one true love is Cheers, it just made that tiny little moment into something really special

I don't think the writers intended that (maybe they did--it's pretty close to the show's ending, and the season-long arc has been Sam trying to buy chack Cheers from this corporation), but it was a moment that really hit me

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    The montage at the beginning of this week's Better Call Saul was beautiful.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i am like 4 episodes behind on better call saul this season with bo urgency to get caught up

i'm just so bored of mike

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Sup, my name's Bo Urgency.

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I was saying Bo Urgency

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    bo urgency: small town private eye

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    bo urgency's detective agency

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    i am like 4 episodes behind on better call saul this season with bo urgency to get caught up

Yeah this is where I am too. I'm probably gonna wait for the whole season to drop at this point

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

This season had the problem that most seasons of Saul have in that there just had to be tire spinning because it's a prequel and they can only move so far, so fast.

But the closer we get to BB and the more seasons they order, the more spinning has to happen. It's about episode 4 or 5 this season where it finally feels like they're moving forward with something actually happening this season.

I enjoy watching Saul but I am almost always at least lightly frustrated by all the concessions that need to be made due to it's prequelness.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Better Call Saul assumes you treat the lore of Breaking Bad as a sacred text that must be ahered to strictly

What they did not foresee is I would much rather this become a complete elseworlds, it would be way more interesting if he just never became Saul Goodman

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Fuck yes.

• Options
    Excited for this. Of all the shows to revive Twilight Zone is good because we could use more trippy anthology serieses that aren't Black Mirror

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So this is what, some kind of American remake of Black Mirror?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I am not excited that it's coming to CBS All Access.

jgeis on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    black mirror is one of the more baffling high praise tv shows ive seen

maybe i just watched the wrong episodes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Could be! I think it's generally very good, occasionally exceptional, and occasionally bad.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    I am not excited that it's coming to CBS All Acess.

As long as it airs at the same time as Discovery, so I can get by with 3 or 4 months of All Access a year.

• Options
    I will always be excited for more anthology shows. Give me as many as there are stars in the god damn sky

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Black Mirror is a show with a very high coincidence of cruel skewering and ebullient praise from both viewers and critics

• Options
    Oh, well it's still cool they're reviving it, even if they've chosen not to actually release it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    i was so, so sure you made one of those words up

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    I will always be excited for more anthology shows. Give me as many as there are stars in the god damn sky

Where are my revivals of Tales from the Crypt and The Outer Limits?

WHERE?

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

There are some rough ones and also some very good ones, like most sci-fi anthology shows.

Check out San Junipero, Nosedive, Hang the DJ if you don’t want to get quite as bleak as some of the other eps.

• Options
    i was so, so sure you made one of those words up

"coincidence" means two events that seem at first glance to be related but in fact came about independently

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I don't make stuff up for free

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I liked Black Mirror before it was cool, because now every season is surrounded by endless thinkpieces proclaiming its genius and brave, brave souls on Twitter saying "actually its bad"

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I watched up to the end of Season 2 and I thought it had some genuine high points (as well as some pretty middling stuff), but the bleakness started to get to me and I haven't had the psychological fortitude to go back. Especially after the Waldo episode.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    tynic wrote: »
    I watched up to the end of Season 2 and I thought it had some genuine high points (as well as some pretty middling stuff), but the bleakness started to get to me and I haven't had the psychological fortitude to go back. Especially after the Waldo episode.

The Waldo episode is notable because it used to be an awful, slight episode that felt like it was written in a day, and now it's genuinely harrowing.

This discussion has been closed.