As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who is this a picture of? (The Mystery Thumbnail)

Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts.Registered User regular
I listen to a lot of audio books while I'm driving, mostly downloaded from Audible. No matter what book I'm listening to, this is the thumbnail that accompanies it:

03ijhcb63a6y.jpg

I'm pretty much completely out of touch as far as current popular music is concerned so I'm kind of expecting an immediate recognition from another forumer. The picture doesn't bother me -- they're smiling and I'm happy to have them along for the ride -- but it's driving me nuts that I don't know where it's from or why it appears there.

I was actually happy to live with it until I saw a video recorded from inside someone else's car and the exact same thing is visible on their dash, so I know I'm not the only one.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    White hat lady reminds me of missy elliot back in the 90s.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    That pops up in my car on digital radio streams, when they don't have enough info to show me a picture of the actual artist or album

I find it hilarious and I'm betting it's a stock photo of some kind

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Google image search comes up with https://www.geniolandia.com/13143754/como-ser-una-mujer-rapera which gives credit to the photo as Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images.

So yeah, stock photo.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Google image search comes up with https://www.geniolandia.com/13143754/como-ser-una-mujer-rapera which gives credit to the photo as Digital Vision./Digital Vision/Getty Images.

So yeah, stock photo.

Well done! Thank you!

Can I ask what magic you used in image search? GIS gave me a ton of crap not even remotely close to the original photo.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    And searching Getty for "female rappers digital vision" gets:

https://www.gettyimages.ca/license/dv1488006

so it is "Two Smiling, Young Women Standing Against a Brick Wall".

For searching, I can just right-click on the image in Chrome and do 'search for this image', and I get three hits, one of which is the geniolandia one.

• Options

For searching, I can just right-click on the image in Chrome and do 'search for this image', and I get three hits, one of which is the geniolandia one.

Man, that's maddening. If I do the exact same thing in Chrome on my phone, it guesses "hip hopper" but finds no matching images.

Same result on the desktop. WTF?

• Options
    Okay, now I'm way more agitated than I ever was about the original mystery because I don't get why GIS would produce different results for the same photo.

Here's what I get on the desktop:

3id9v25xdz8n.jpg

• Options

Man, that's maddening. If I do the exact same thing in Chrome on my phone, it guesses "hip hopper" but finds no matching images.

Same result on the desktop. WTF?

I did almost exactly the same thing, but I hit Search Google for image.
    Let's see if I can paste my page clipping in here . . .
    aiijqp12zwyw.png

Yup! So anyway, I went to a page that also had it, and there was the info. Don't know why it didn't turn up for you.

• Options
    Google, I guess. Grrr.

Thanks!

• Options
    @djmitchella, I notice your link to Getty is a .ca address. I'm in the US. Maybe the difference is regional?

@chromdom, are you in the US?

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Yes, I am in Canada -- but I'm also getting different results now than I was previously, for some reason. This time, I get two hits, for 'hip hopper', both searching google.ca and google.com. Not sure what's going on, but yeah, most likely it's The Mysteries Of Google at work.

• Options
    USAian here. But I just tried searching it here at home, and didn't have the "Pages that include matching images" section

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yup that was the issue I ran into too, reverse google search turned up bumpkis with "hip hopper" is the image and it didn't include pages that had the image either.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I tried again this morning. This time, it doesn't even guess "hip hopper". The guess is "JPEG" and the search finds one match: this thread. :D

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I tried again this morning. This time, it doesn't even guess "hip hopper". The guess is "JPEG" and the search finds one match: this thread. :D

And thus, the Internet became sentient.