As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heaven 'n Hell, Plug 'n Play (Super NES Classic, etc.)

1939495969799»

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    An N64 with high res would be great.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I was sure Nintendo would do a Game Boy Classic before they did N64. I hope they'll do it after this, because I'd love a Game Boy Micro Classic at some point. I missed like, the entire GBA library.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    I was sure Nintendo would do a Game Boy Classic before they did N64. I hope they'll do it after this, because I'd love a Game Boy Micro Classic at some point. I missed like, the entire GBA library.

I still think the logistics of making a Game Boy Classic are the same as making a new handheld from scratch (screen, battery, storage device, all small enough to fit in the case). Not an impossible feat by any means. But not the inexpensive build that the other Classic's are. And I would expect the thing to be $150 or so because of it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Wow, so Walmart sold out of their preorders already. (PlayStation Classic)

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I mean the 2DS sells for $80, so the parts wouldn't be that high with most of the target specs being even lower. I know there's some R&D costs regardless, but it'd be using existing tech. The internal hardware of the NES/SNES is already tiny and plenty powerful enough to emulate GBA. They wouldn't need 4K OLEDs in these things. I'd expect $90-100.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Amazon sold out of theirs yesterday just a little while after my order went through. Still wondering if I'll get it though. How good is amazon when it comes to getting preorders for stuff like this?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Glad I snagged one. Can't remember who shared the link, but thank you very much to the person who did.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. Best Buy is out of them. I snagged a pre-order yesterday.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I was going to buy a PS Classic, but I think I'll put the money towards replacing my OG PS3 instead. I already have all of the PS1 games I care about on my account, plus a bunch of unfinished PS2 RPGs besides.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I couldn't bring myself to preorder one. Too many unknowns at the moment. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get one once it launches (provided that it's good). Sony tends to be better than Nintendo at stocking, so I'm not too worried.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »

Amazon sold out of theirs yesterday just a little while after my order went through. Still wondering if I'll get it though. How good is amazon when it comes to getting preorders for stuff like this?

They must have put up some later on in the afternoon since I managed to get one.

Although given their track record with pre-ordering fulfillment on Transformers does not make me warm and fuzzy I'll get one at launch. That's if they oversold their allocation.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    I really hope they announce some more rpgs for this thing. PS1 has some of the best rpgs of all time and I will always buy something that allows me to play them in some way.
    The PS1 library has a similar "problem" to the SNES one (but probably even worse in the PS1's case) where the console was far and away the best for RPGs of its contemporaries and has a large amount of awesome ones, where if you're trying to curate a list of 20 games that will have broad appeal for a large variety of gamers, you can't just have half -- or, hell, all 20 -- of the games be RPGs, even though you easily could and there wouldn't be a game in the bunch that wasn't great. These things are pretty much necessarily going to be limited to at most 4 or 5 RPGs to keep the balance of genres reasonable, which means everyone is going to have a favorite that they won't see on it.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    That's ok with me. I'd just like to see a couple more besides FFVII and Wild Arms, which are great don't get me wrong. But I'm also a big fan of racers and platformers too, so either way I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Also, this thing needs to give us the authentic childhood PS1 experience by only giving us the equivalent of one 15-block memory card for game saves, and we are forced to constantly agonize over which game data to get rid of because "I guess I probably won't play that one again...".

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Also, this thing needs to give us the authentic childhood PS1 experience by only giving us the equivalent of one 15-block memory card for game saves, and we are forced to constantly agonize over which game data to get rid of because "I guess I probably won't play that one again...".

Followed with murdering your siblings for deleting your save that was right before you beat the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I'm undecided on this one. If the PSC has Suikoden 2 or some other fantastic game I never played, then I'm definitely going to buy it. If not, well ... I actually still have a PS2 that's in semi-working conditions. Thanks to the arcane assumptions about backwards compatibility, I could theoretically still play it. Hell, I still pop Symphony of the Night in every so often. So I'd consider getting one, but it's more a "whenever" buy.

When do you think we'll get the full lineup?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Maybe it'll have Deathtrap Dungeon and I can have my brother play it again so he can get frustrated so much that he'll kick the PS1 and break the memory card in half, destroying my FF7 and Castlevania saves.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Thrill kill or we riot.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    I couldn't bring myself to preorder one. Too many unknowns at the moment. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get one once it launches (provided that it's good). Sony tends to be better than Nintendo at stocking, so I'm not too worried.

To be fair Sony (and everyone else) now knows the market for mini consoles has gone from "occasional impulse buy at the drug store" to "cultural phenomenon."

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!