As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    A big part of me hopes that Elias Toufexis gets a moderately big role in this game. I liked him as Adam Jensen, and it was no fault of his own that Deus Ex had the falling out it did. Giving him an unrelated role in the next big cyber game I think would be neat.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    If I ever have money again should I buy nier?

The game constantly goes on sale on every platform, which is good, because it's a Square Enix game and they love putting a premium price tag on games that are even 20+ years old. NieR: Automata regularly sees a 50% discount on a Playstation Flash sale, or if you're inclined, on Steam for PC. Fair warning about the PC version, it's buggy as hell and I believe requires a few mods?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    A big part of me hopes that Elias Toufexis gets a moderately big role in this game. I liked him as Adam Jensen, and it was no fault of his own that Deus Ex had the falling out it did. Giving him an unrelated role in the next big cyber game I think would be neat.

Given the number of completely random pop culture references they put in Witcher 3, a Deus Ex reference is a near certainty.

sXXjb1B.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Given the number of completely random pop culture references they put in Witcher 3, a Deus Ex reference is a near certainty.

I hope it is something like his character eating at a restaurant and the waiter hands him his plate of food and he replies with, "I never asked for this!"

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »

I hope it is something like his character eating at a restaurant and the waiter hands him his plate of food and he replies with, "I never asked for this!"

That or he's some crazy smoked out hobo talking about Illuminati and how there was time to prevent this... but it's all over now.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    How pointlessly tragic.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

That or he's some crazy smoked out hobo talking about Illuminati and how there was time to prevent this... but it's all over now.

I could get behind an 84-85 year old Jensen who talks about how he could have brought down the Illuminati if it weren't for the Enix corporation.

As an aside, I find it really weird that a real life Jensen would already be 25 by now.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    How pointlessly tragic.

Yeah, rip

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/13/17854886/transphobia-in-game-marketing-cyberpunk-2077-twitter

So I guess they're in hot water for making a transphobic joke and then making a non apology. There a bummer too, since we'd been discussing how cyberpunk should just be post fixed gender identity anyway. I wonder if the creators can truly appreciate the punk part of cyberpunk or are just looking for a cool shooter.

What is this I don't even.
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/13/17854886/transphobia-in-game-marketing-cyberpunk-2077-twitter

So I guess they're in hot water for making a transphobic joke and then making a non apology. There a bummer too, since we'd been discussing how cyberpunk should just be post fixed gender identity anyway. I wonder if the creators can truly appreciate the punk part of cyberpunk or are just looking for a cool shooter.

They did apologize for that. The writer of the article seems to be just mad they didn't grovel enough.

• Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    It was the usual "sorry if anyone was offended" non-apology. Disappointing.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I get that everything on the internet is under constant scrutiny but really? A throwaway joke the tweeter probably didn't think much of gets an entire article written about it? The internet, ladies and gentlemen!

Big Classy on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    It was a slow news day. Also, Polygon will write and update an article about anything and keep it on the front page for months.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    If I ever have money again should I buy nier?

The game constantly goes on sale on every platform, which is good, because it's a Square Enix game and they love putting a premium price tag on games that are even 20+ years old. NieR: Automata regularly sees a 50% discount on a Playstation Flash sale, or if you're inclined, on Steam for PC. Fair warning about the PC version, it's buggy as hell and I believe requires a few mods?

A lot of the bugs in Nier: Automata on PC have been fixed--but not all of them. It requires mods in the sense that visual quality is kind of terrible for the hardware it requires.

I'm playing it on XB1X (the best looking console version)...and while I'm enjoying it way more than any other Platinum game I've played thusfar, visually it's a tired, dated, and rather inefficient engine that's used to do some really cool, good looking stuff from time to time when you're not running into invisible walls.

Still better way to play it than on PC though.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I get that everything on the internet is under constant scrutiny but really? A throwaway joke the tweeter probably didn't think much of gets an entire article written about it? The internet, ladies and gentlemen!

A tweet that happened over a month ago no less.

edit- and literally already had the whole "controvesry" part play out back then.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    It was a throwaway joke, insulting trans and gender fluid people.
    The apology was wishy washy and easily seen as "sorry you could not take a joke".
    I don't think it was intentional, which kinda does not make it any better, but yes, old news, calling it anyone being in hot water is kinda stretching it, that water is at most room temperature by now.

I read the article, and i think it was decent, and i don't think there is enough discussion about casual transphobia and other bigotry in gaming. Cyberpunk 2077 was not really the main thrust (i think, though it was large part of it) of the article, but more about corporate pr machine courting customers in not always great ways.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm just increasingly convinced that the shitty parts of Witcher weren't setting related and fixed in time, based on the playthrough we saw. I'm concerned the game is going to have more casual misogyny. My cyberpunk has more punk than that, which means subversion of power and feminism.

What is this I don't even.
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I'm just increasingly convinced that the shitty parts of Witcher weren't setting related and fixed in time, based on the playthrough we saw. I'm concerned the game is going to have more casual misogyny. My cyberpunk has more punk than that, which means subversion of power and feminism.

Yes, it's more a reflection that as a polish studio their cultural take on feminism, LGBT issues, and many other things is very different than what the coastal blue areas of the US thinks. In the real world various punk and outsider scenes that feel cyberpunkish are heterodox on issues like feminism or race relations - see https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jul/03/punk-has-a-problem-with-women-why, so i don't know it makes much sense to try to define what is and isn't truly "punk" in this context as those communities don't have agreement on that. Two separate issues though, of course, how GDPR feels about american culture war issues and how it portrays those culture war issues. You'll probably be unhappy on both fronts given how the witcher was. All the pokeman-tinder mashup seduction bits of the Witcher feels sophomoric to us but is fairly normal cultural stuff east of the oder river.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »

I could get behind an 84-85 year old Jensen who talks about how he could have brought down the Illuminati if it weren't for the Enix corporation.

As an aside, I find it really weird that a real life Jensen would already be 25 by now.

This is still really weird because my name in real life is Jensen* and I'm technically six years older than that guy.

(*it's one of my two first names**)

(**long story)

yes playing that game was very weird (also I didn't get out of Detroit because I didn't want to kill anyone in the police station and the controls just made it a pain)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

This is still really weird because my name in real life is Jensen* and I'm technically six years older than that guy.

(**long story)

yes playing that game was very weird (also I didn't get out of Detroit because I didn't want to kill anyone in the police station and the controls just made it a pain)

Jimmy John Jensen?

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

(**long story)

If you don’t have a deep noire ish detective voice and awesome sunglasses then you have let us all down.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

(**long story)

If you don’t have a deep noire ish detective voice and awesome sunglasses then you have let us all down.

look, it's the name he was given

he didn't ask for this

edited September 2018
    kaliyama wrote: »

Yes, it's more a reflection that as a polish studio their cultural take on feminism, LGBT issues, and many other things is very different than what the coastal blue areas of the US thinks. In the real world various punk and outsider scenes that feel cyberpunkish are heterodox on issues like feminism or race relations - see https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/jul/03/punk-has-a-problem-with-women-why, so i don't know it makes much sense to try to define what is and isn't truly "punk" in this context as those communities don't have agreement on that. Two separate issues though, of course, how GDPR feels about american culture war issues and how it portrays those culture war issues. You'll probably be unhappy on both fronts given how the witcher was. All the pokeman-tinder mashup seduction bits of the Witcher feels sophomoric to us but is fairly normal cultural stuff east of the oder river.

Basically I know that whatever CDPR makes isn't going to break any barriers when it comes to social diversity, but as long as they aren't outright mocking the various movements, then I think I'm okay about them being 'silent but respectful' about what's happening elsewhere. I mean, even CDPR kinda knows how to bring it to the table in a game and feel like it belongs without putting a big neon sign over it. There's a mission in Witcher 3 early where you meet a hunter, Mislav, who helps you find the griffin during the White Orchard tutorial. If you talk to him enough, he explains he's there because he was the lover of the local lord's son, and was outcast when the lord found out. Harsh but not out of the question, and more than realistic for the time period the game represents.

This isn't exactly new, it's just not something we've seen that often outside of really well known pockets of social restraint like Japan.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I'm absolutely positive that the game will have casual (and accidental) misogyny.
    Not because the devs, setting, or Poland, are somehow especially misogynic, but because world, in general, is kinda casually misogynic, transphobic and plain old bigoted. We are getting better, but we are nowhere near where we need to be.
    Unless they really screw it up, i'm still going to buy the game, enjoy it, and then criticize it for its flaws.
    Just like with the tweet, or the game it is based on having humanity stat that gets lowered for people who go through a sex change (unintentional bit of transphobia there), important part is to not declare the devs, authors, etc, bigoted monsters, but to point out the flaws, explain why they are flaws, and then react to their response.

This is the problem right here. A joke disparaging trans folk has become so ubiquitous that it's considered part of casual human conversation. Jokes like this are the kind of thing certain garbage internet subcultures would read and think, "Yes, CDPR is one of us!" I would rather the marketing team of a major video game developer were not part of the problem. I encourage you to read the article in question, because it goes into this in more detail.

And it's not even a particularly fresh or relevant joke to make in terms of current internet humor. They could have made a honey badger reference and it would have been just as relevant.

sXXjb1B.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

This is the problem right here. A joke disparaging trans folk has become so ubiquitous that it's considered part of casual human conversation. Jokes like this are the kind of thing certain garbage internet subcultures would read and think, "Yes, CDPR is one of us!" I would rather the marketing team of a major video game developer were not part of the problem. I encourage you to read the article in question, because it goes into this in more detail.

And it's not even a particularly fresh or relevant joke to make in terms of current internet humor. They could have made a honey badger reference and it would have been just as relevant.

Yup. Casual transphobia is hugely widespread, but the only way to change that is for people to call it out when they see it and try to educate those they have influence over. Calling people out over twitter and writing informative articles is the perfect response to this kind of shit.

An illustrative example from a video I watched recently; People didn't stop using the n word publicly because everyone suddenly stopped being racist, they stopped using it because they couldn't get away with it anymore.

Minor edit

Vic on
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

(**long story)

V1gqoVj.jpg

Don't have an audio recording tho. I can get the husky noir detective thing down if I work at it, but my normal speaking voice is... just kinda normal. So... 1/2? And a nice coat and hat? :P

*edit* one sec while I fix the file size, didn't realize it was so Hueg.

*edit2* fixed

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Andrzej Sapkowski is suing CDPR for 6% franchise royalties, which apparently would be $16m off Witcher 3 alone.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Andrzej Sapkowski is suing CDPR for 6% franchise royalties, which apparently would be $16m off Witcher 3 alone.

I feel like waiting for two additional games to come out, each being a bigger success than the previous one, before suing may negatively damage your case.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

From the wording of the article it sounds like he's been stewing over his bad initial decision for some time and has decided he's going to try and take more. Classy.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Yeah, my initial read is that he's being a money-grubbing jerk.

Could be wrong, though.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    “I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch,” Sapkowski said at the time. “They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, ‘No, there will be no profit at all — give me all my money right now! The whole amount.’ It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn’t believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn’t”

What a dick

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Peas wrote: »
    “I was stupid enough to sell them rights to the whole bunch,” Sapkowski said at the time. “They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, ‘No, there will be no profit at all — give me all my money right now! The whole amount.’ It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn’t believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn’t”

What a dick

Man, the CDPR lawyer is just going to come in extremely hung over and smash this suit

Fencingsax on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Maybe he's claiming mental incompetence, otherwise I don't see how that doesn't get dismissed immediately.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Moridin889 wrote: »

I feel like waiting for two additional games to come out, each being a bigger success than the previous one, before suing may negatively damage your case.

yeah good fucking luck buddy. He had 2 games to address this, and only got pissy when it became successful. Come on.

Although frankly the fact that a super old guy is a curmudgeonly crab-apple who wants others to pay for his own mistakes is not really a surprise to me nowadays

I mean he literally admits his reasoning was that he was "stupid". Thats not exactly a solid reason for a contract to be retroactively rewritten well over a decade later

Whats more is that i get that feeling that CDproject would have been more than happy to negotiate this privately with him and cut him in, but not at that ridiculous percentage, and especially not now that hes publicly suing them

Prohass on
  • Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Actually I think it was CDProjekt who made it public. Lawyers came after them saying how it would be best to privately settle rather than risk spooking stockholders.

Given that CDProjekt have rejected that, I'd say they're pretty confident.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Just gonna say guys but a bunch of cis posters complaining how casual transphobia isn't news worthy and is overwrought to smear the game is uh, not a good look.

But to be honest between that, their weird phrasing around the humanity discussion and the Witcher's whole thing it's being super obvious that 2070 wasn't going to be a particularly progressive or interesting take on the subject past it's huge budget.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If he wins that case, presumably Fox will sue George Lucas for the merchandise rights to Star Wars, on the basis that that turned out to be a terrible decision by them?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Andrzej Sapkowski was offered a percentage of the sales initially but demanded a fixed sum instead.

And now after 3 popular games and CDProjekt getting ready to release another highly anticipated game that he's trying to grab more money.

The guy can fuck off.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    If he wins that case, presumably Fox will sue George Lucas for the merchandise rights to Star Wars, on the basis that that turned out to be a terrible decision by them?

If it's polish law, it's polish law. Is Disney based in Poland?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg