As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everybody get up, it's time to Ham now [Overwatch]

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The players "represent" a ton of different places but don't have any actual ties there which is I think one of the big things about real sports that esports (or at least the OWL) has failed to replicate

I became a fan of the Montreal Expos because (of faint proximity and) I liked watching a group of players that played for them at the time, one each from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and Columbia

Those guys all moved to montreal though, they're from a lot of different places (which is entirely positive) and then became residents of and thus a part of montreal, OWL teams are in no way a part of the cities that people pay to name them after (except the LA teams I guess)

having them play in local arenas is part of the plan, though?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The players "represent" a ton of different places but don't have any actual ties there which is I think one of the big things about real sports that esports (or at least the OWL) has failed to replicate

I became a fan of the Montreal Expos because (of faint proximity and) I liked watching a group of players that played for them at the time, one each from the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and Columbia

Those guys all moved to montreal though, they're from a lot of different places (which is entirely positive) and then became residents of and thus a part of montreal, OWL teams are in no way a part of the cities that people pay to name them after (except the LA teams I guess)

Then thats good!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I look at all-Korean and mostly-Korean teams the same way I do hockey. Canada may not be quite as dominant in hockey as South Korea is in Overwatch, but we produce so many top level players that even though 23/31 teams are based in the US, most of their players are still going to be Canadian. I have never seen anyone suggest that American teams should start recruiting only American players though.

(I have seen people suggest that Canadian teams should recruit only Canadian players, but those dudes suck and need to go away)

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    It seems like many people think that players are automatically representing their country like in the World Cup and, the inverse, that the cities need to be represented by their own people. Neither of these things are true or necessary for the league to be successful.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I look at all-Korean and mostly-Korean teams the same way I do hockey. Canada may not be quite as dominant in hockey as South Korea is in Overwatch, but we produce so many top level players that even though 23/31 teams are based in the US, most of their players are still going to be Canadian. I have never seen anyone suggest that American teams should start recruiting only American players though.

(I have seen people suggest that Canadian teams should recruit only Canadian players, but those dudes suck and need to go away)

That's pretty amerocentric point of view.
    On this side of the pond, the World Championship is the real deal and NHL are bunch of assholes that keep our best players from participating in the most important contest.

I, for one cheer for the teams with great Finnish players (Gladiators, Fuel).

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options

That's Really unfortunate. Imagine having half your games on Euro/Korean timezone and half of them on American timezone. That's a huge advantage for the home team.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    jammu wrote: »

That's Really unfortunate. Imagine having half your games on Euro/Korean timezone and half of them on American timezone. That's a huge advantage for the home team.

I would honestly be surprised if this ever came to pass anyway. It's such a massive undertaking, the ability to maintain a consistent audience for enough games and seasons to make it worthwhile seems unlikely to me, and like you said the travel alone would be an absolute killer. It just feels unsustainable right out of the gate.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

I assume teams will play most games within their conference, and play inter-conference games all in a row on Eurasian/American road trips

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

That's pretty amerocentric point of view.
    On this side of the pond, the World Championship is the real deal and NHL are bunch of assholes that keep our best players from participating in the most important contest.

I, for one cheer for the teams with great Finnish players (Gladiators, Fuel).

That is totally fair, I felt a twinge of irritation that Canada’s first real world class soccer star in a long time (maybe ever) is almost certainly leaving to play in Europe next year.

Thank you for Kasperi Kapanen though, he is so much fun to watch

• Options
    World cup is back!

Sweden vs China is looking really tight match. Really great match-up although:
    China keeps C9:ng. Still much better than Shanghai team.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    It is extremely rare for any player in any sport to have the opportunity to play for their own hometown team, and when it does happen it's kind of a big deal.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Australia vs. Denmark is on. Not sure what's up with the sound. The casters are super low in the mix and then replay sounds are deafening.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Australia vs. Denmark is on. Not sure what's up with the sound. The casters are super low in the mix and then replay sounds are deafening.

They had major audio issues through like half the games yesterday too, although I thought they had it ironed out by the end. Sucks that it looks like it's coming back.

• Options
    It seemed to be fixed by the end of the first map.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

I would honestly be surprised if this ever came to pass anyway. It's such a massive undertaking, the ability to maintain a consistent audience for enough games and seasons to make it worthwhile seems unlikely to me, and like you said the travel alone would be an absolute killer. It just feels unsustainable right out of the gate.

yeah I will believe that is actually happening when I see it, talk is cheap and it is far from certain that overwatch esports has the kind of legs that would pay back such an investment.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Since I have no regard for space or time I'm chilling at home tonight and watching OWWC, and holy shit this Thailand/China game is only on the second map and it has been hot shit so far. I expected a stomping from China but at least so far it's been super close and really entertaining.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I thought Sweden would definitely make it past the group stages, but they’ve been getting trounced. Poor Reinforce. He finally gets another shot at playing in a pro setting and this happens...

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Not one of my most efficient ult uses, but one of my more entertaining ones.

https://youtu.be/MH_1SeiD63c

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »

Well they played their hand too early to say this Blizzcon obviously is Diablo themed

I actually do kinda think they'll at least put out a teaser for Diablo 4 this year

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Man, I ain’t even play sombra and I want that skin kinda bad....

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    https://www.pcgamer.com/sombras-demon-hunter-skin-will-be-available-without-a-blizzcon-ticket/
    If the main thing that’s tempting you to purchase a BlizzCon virtual ticket is the promise of that brilliant Sombra Demon Hunter skin—I don’t blame you—you might want to close your wallet and wait for a few months.

Spotted by PCGamesN, the fine print at the bottom of Blizzard’s post that advertises the ticket and all the in-game stuff that you can get for Overwatch, StarCraft II, and StarCraft: Remastered notes that they’ll all be made available separately next year.

be free from compulsive behaviour, learn to wait and be rewarded

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    https://www.pcgamer.com/sombras-demon-hunter-skin-will-be-available-without-a-blizzcon-ticket/
    If the main thing that’s tempting you to purchase a BlizzCon virtual ticket is the promise of that brilliant Sombra Demon Hunter skin—I don’t blame you—you might want to close your wallet and wait for a few months.

Spotted by PCGamesN, the fine print at the bottom of Blizzard’s post that advertises the ticket and all the in-game stuff that you can get for Overwatch, StarCraft II, and StarCraft: Remastered notes that they’ll all be made available separately next year.

be free from compulsive behaviour, learn to wait and be rewarded

but I want the marshmallow now

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/_EkOKj1pvEQ

I've been playing a little more D.Va again in the last couple of weeks, so I threw... Sorta kinda a highlight together? Some of it's specific highlights, but I tried to put some longer gameplay clips in there demonstrating all of D.Va's kit.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Haha that poor Reaper.

Makes me want to play some DVa for sure, good stuff.

• Options
    I am so happy you got the part where you take a punch for me.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

Did you happen to get that one sleep dart recorded from the other day , the 100% guessed one as ulting mercy came flying in the window on lijang?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    We recorded a dev update last week to coincide with a PTR release we had planned for Wednesday 9/19. We ran into issues with the PTR build and are working on getting something stable up and running. Unfortunately, the current ETA is now Friday but that could slip if the problems persist. Everyone here is working very hard so hopefully we can get something out this week.

hmmmmm, ptr patch with a dev update video?

New Torb maybe? Something bigger than just a normal patch at any rate, presumably. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Baidol wrote: »

Did you happen to get that one sleep dart recorded from the other day , the 100% guessed one as ulting mercy came flying in the window on lijang?

https://youtu.be/P5pmYoUFRHE

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    We recorded a dev update last week to coincide with a PTR release we had planned for Wednesday 9/19. We ran into issues with the PTR build and are working on getting something stable up and running. Unfortunately, the current ETA is now Friday but that could slip if the problems persist. Everyone here is working very hard so hopefully we can get something out this week.

hmmmmm, ptr patch with a dev update video?

New Torb maybe? Something bigger than just a normal patch at any rate, presumably. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

New Torb and possibly some tweaks to Pharah.

... which, in retrospect, makes the fact that they said they were tweaking Pharah at all make more sense. If they're buffing Captain Autoaim, Pharah's going to need some help.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    it depends on what torb's rework actually does to his turret

symmetra's changes de-emphasized area denial because of how mobility-based the game is now, and it's quite likely that torbjorn will see a similar shift in focus

• Options
    I doubt Pharah's changes are related to the Torb rework. It'd be kind of weird for them to make changes to one character based on simultaneous untested changes to another character. More likely they'd wait to implement Torbjorn into live, make adjustments as necessary, and then make changes to other characters based on that.

I'm still having trouble imagining what kind of changes they could be making to Pharah. If it was just small number tweaks I dunno why they'd mention it ahead of time, but I guess we'll see.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Make it so you can't used pharahs boost again until you land on the ground

Same cooldown but the ability wont activate until after she touches solid ground again (so sliding on roof tops wont do it)

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I doubt Pharah's changes are related to the Torb rework. It'd be kind of weird for them to make changes to one character based on simultaneous untested changes to another character. More likely they'd wait to implement Torbjorn into live, make adjustments as necessary, and then make changes to other characters based on that.

I'm still having trouble imagining what kind of changes they could be making to Pharah. If it was just small number tweaks I dunno why they'd mention it ahead of time, but I guess we'll see.
    It's not just buffed Torb turret (they've said that one of the changes is probably deploying a level 2 turret without having to hit it), the falloff buffs to McCree and Soldier and the nerf to Mercy's healing have made playing Pharah a lot more painful.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

It's not just buffed Torb turret (they've said that one of the changes is probably deploying a level 2 turret without having to hit it), the falloff buffs to McCree and Soldier and the nerf to Mercy's healing have made playing Pharah a lot more painful.

Yeah those make more sense for giving her some tweaks. Although a Pharmercy is still super strong, but her survivability without a dedicated Mercy is pretty rough right now. I'm not really sure what they might do to address that, though. They're not gonna make her hitbox smaller, they're not gonna give her more HP. She definitely doesn't need to do more damage. I guess they could just lower her cooldowns for better movement/escapes but I dunno how big an impact that will actually have on her success/pick rate (as someone who plays her a lot though, bring on the buffs).

• Options
    technically symmetra's E and ult switched places

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    technically symmetra's E and ult switched places

Well, yeah, but that's still them putting her ult on E. Just like they did with Mercy, and now Torb.

Which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, it's just kind of a funny trend.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    no wall climb for torb?

uninstalled

uc3ufTB.png