As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bug Identification Help, Please

SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!!Registered User regular
edited September 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
9uggkts6gjlw.jpg

What exactly are these bugs? They look like fruit flies, but they seem to only be interested in the bread on my counter (in a sealed bag; ignoring any other food that may be out, including fruit) and also seem to congregate in my bathrooms.

They've been persistent in my new house for about a month now. I've cleaned the shit out of my counters and cupboards and they just don't go away. They're about the size of half a grain of rice and typically reddish in color (the white bugs are red, just illuminated by lights in my bathroom where I took the picture).

Thanks in advance.

SeñorAmor on

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    This should really be in the official bug identification thread (which at this very moment is right at the first page of threads), but it looks like some kind of fermentation fly (that it likes your bathroom also points to this). Not all fruit fly relatives are that attracted to fruit.

My suggestion if you want to get rid of it. Clean your drains, and use the strong stuff. You need something which murderizes organic material. Most likely you have some sort of fermenting fungus in your drains that it (and its larvae) absolutely loves.

P.S: Clean your drains every few days for two weeks and the problem should go away unless you have something around that's fermenting in a little corner. A second tip is to take a small glass of vinegar, mix in honey and a few drops of dishwashing liquid, mix it around and leave it on a counter (the soap will ensure that they'll drown). That will reduce the adult fly population and you should see dozens of flies in the glass the next morning. If the vinegar/honey mix doesn't attract them, then my theory is wrong.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Apologies, I was unaware of a bug ID thread. I'll go post there, too.

@ceres Can you lock this, please and thanks?

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I sure can. Hey @Fiendishrabbit no metamodding :p But it is a pretty cool thread though.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.