As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Marvel Comics Thread Featuring Caving to Neo-Nazis and Wrongful Termination!

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »
    Damn, I haven’t watched one of these since Luke Cage s1 (which I enjoyed overall), but I bailed when I heard IF was real bad.

I should catch up someday.

I have not finished Cage season 2 or JJ season 2. JJ felt like a big letdown from S1 but Cag’s S2 has a fantastically charming villain that I need subtitles to understand.

I didn't dig JJ S2 for the first few episodes. Stopped watching for like 2 months, but I went back and I thought the last half was a lot better

Yeah, it definitely gets better as it goes

JJ S2 spoilers
    I know a lot of folks were disappointed that it was focusing on an element of Jessica's past again in the form of her mother, but once it gets past some of the initial setup of that I think it goes to some really interesting places.

Plus I loved both the Tragedy of Trish Walker and the Tragedy of Jeri Hogarth
    Trish was the worst

She didn't do a single likeable thing the entire season. I get they were going for "hitting rock bottom" but damn, she got done dirty

Still JJ S2
    Okay so yes, she was the worst, but I really liked that.

I think there's something really interesting in comparing seasons one and two of Jessica Jones. Season one Jessica is a mess - her personal life's a mess, her career is in rough shape, and the main antagonist of the season is essentially just personal trauma in the shape of a man. But she manages to claw her way through it, partially through the assistance of her slightly less messy friends, particularly Trish, who has her issues but is overall fairly well put together.

Jessica is still a bit of a mess in season two, but on the whole, things are going better for her. And because things are going better for her, she is leaning less and less on other people. She claims that it's because her "case" is personal, but is it really that much more personal than Kilgrave? While she is overall doing better, her friends meanwhile are falling apart - Jeri and Trish especially. They break down very differently from one another, and intersect with Jess occasionally during the process, but it's a divergent process rather than the convergent one of the first season.

I dunno, I guess that's all there really is to it, but I liked it.
    I didn't mind Jeri's storyline

I think my problem with Trish was that they spent the entire season showing her being an absolutely shitty person, blaming everyone else, etc, and then at the very end "oh now she has exactly what she wanted" (superpowers)

Jeri was shitty, but she at least knew it and had an actual problem she was trying to solve.

Next season will probably be about
    Trish realizing that super powers aren't a magical cure all that will fix all her problems and insecurities. Having powers won't make her a hero, and she has to work to become a better person.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Someone pointed out that they could potentially finish out the Agent Carter series via these streaming shows Disney is rumored to be doing.

Dear god please do that.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Someone pointed out that they could potentially finish out the Agent Carter series via these streaming shows Disney is rumored to be doing.

Dear god please do that.

As much as people like to say the Netflix Marvel shows feel like they're spending half each season getting to the plot, Agent Carter felt like both seasons were spinning the wheels for about two or three episodes of actual story stuff.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Dear god please do that.

As much as people like to say the Netflix Marvel shows feel like they're spending half each season getting to the plot, Agent Carter felt like both seasons were spinning the wheels for about two or three episodes of actual story stuff.

I mean, I'm more talking about how they ended on a pretty significant cliffhanger. Even a tv movie to finish out the plot would be appreciated.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Season 1 was written as a standalone miniseries but then season 2 was written as an ongoing show that then immediately got cancelled

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I just noticed something, looking at a couple photos of upcoming Captain Marvel action figures

tumblr_pfd0t0mKuT1tla6r1_540.jpg
    tumblr_pfd0t0ODBC1tla6r1_540.jpg
    tumblr_pfd0t1padL1tla6r1_540.jpg

The build-a-figure looks like it's a Kree Sentry robot.

417833f0292171e67d6be03604463558.jpg

Which is kind of neat to me. Carol Danvers' first appearance was literally standing in front of one.

tumblr_mwsof8yzqx1rixv2zo1_540.png

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Zdarsky's final issue of Spectacular Spider-Man is out next week and hes also drawing it
    YGOr5Xd.jpg?1
    ihmC5dI.jpg
    sLmgFGg.jpg
    ItQYoqs.jpg

I'm really gonna miss him, he was easily the best Peter Parker writer we've had in like a decade and he got the character so well

The whole "nervous stream of consciousness babbling to yourself" thing hits just perfectly. He manages to capture all the elements of Pete that I identify with, that make him my favorite.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am genuinely shocked that one is actually happening

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Interesting that the word is Ikaris is the main character. I almost thought they'd go with Makkari, like in Gaiman's Eternals series.

• Options
    Interesting that the word is Ikaris is the main character. I almost thought they'd go with Makkari, like in Gaiman's Eternals series.
    Yeah but Ikaris is historically the lead Eternals dude so it makes sense

They absolutely should adapt some version of Gaiman's mini, it is easily the best Eternals thing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I love Gaiman's Eternals, but it's not a story to start the series with. I just hope they don't use Chuck Austen's Eternal series as a starting point, obviously.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    I love Gaiman's Eternals, but it's not a story to start the series with. I just hope they don't use Chuck Austen's Eternal series as a starting point, obviously.
    I think it is a perfect starting point?

It was literally designed as such. It launches with a clean slate, explains who the Eternals are and how they work and gradually reveals their history and role in the world

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/AlrWRttLTkg

I'm saying this as someone who liked The Rider a bunch

How do you go from that to Eternals

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Did anyone else read Edge of Spidergeddon #3?

Cause I dunno if it wasn't clear or I was being dumb, but I was confused
    So I guess Spider-Ben is dying, then get shot trying to get his pills, and gets the blood transfusion from Peter that gives him powers.

And then eventually Ben forbids Peter from being Spider-Pete?

Was that it? For some reason it came off as Peter died or something.

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

So I guess Spider-Ben is dying, then get shot trying to get his pills, and gets the blood transfusion from Peter that gives him powers.

It looked like the stuff with Ben at the bar is set in the "future" and everything else is him telling the bartender his story and it is implied Peter died at some point after the Kraven incident but before the bar

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    It looks like its a tie in to a mainline spidergesson issue

That isnt out yet??

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    It looks like its a tie in to a mainline spidergesson issue

That isnt out yet??
    It isnt really a tie in

He just mentions that he got involved in Spider-Geddon and that's it

Everything else is unrelated

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

It looked like the stuff with Ben at the bar is set in the "future" and everything else is him telling the bartender his story and it is implied Peter died at some point after the Kraven incident but before the bar

Ahh okay. That makes sense.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Hey y’all, if I wanted to catch up on modern Spider-Man, what should I check out? The PS4 game has me in a Spidey mood.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Hey y’all, if I wanted to catch up on modern Spider-Man, what should I check out? The PS4 game has me in a Spidey mood.
    Spectacular Spider-Man by Chip Zdarsky

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

Ultimate Spider-Man

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Charles Soule confirmed that teaser was for The Death of Daredevil, running through issues 609-612 with art from Phil Noto

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    While the story itself I'm skeptical of, I actually really love this announcement because it breaks the usual announcement cycle

609-612 were already solicited

They just had vague solicit texts and none of the story arc trade dress on the covers

So rather than a big THE DEATH OF DAREDEVIL coming in like 4 months it starts in like 3 weeks and the whole story has already been solicited and open for order by the time they reveal the true nature of the arc

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I put aside my "No buying marvel comics" rule to get the Captain America annual

Tini Howard is so damned good and her letter at the end made me tear up something fierce.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I got a subscription form recently that had Nova on it. Is Nova coming back or was that a mistake?

• Options
    I got a subscription form recently that had Nova on it. Is Nova coming back or was that a mistake?
    Nothing I've seen about it but maybe post Infinity Wars?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rich got some good panel time in All-New Guardians and Infinity Countdown, plus the Darkhawk mini. Also he's in the teaser image for Cates' Guardians.

• Options
    Rich got some good panel time in All-New Guardians and Infinity Countdown, plus the Darkhawk mini. Also he's in the teaser image for Cates' Guardians.

I mean it literally had an option for a subscription to a Nova comic.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    This is actually a super-secret comic they were going to make just for you, but now you've gone and leaked it to the whole Internet so you get nothing.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    This is actually a super-secret comic they were going to make just for you, but now you've gone and leaked it to the whole Internet so you get nothing.

Nooooooo...

• Options

I mean it literally had an option for a subscription to a Nova comic.

Oh dang. Did it mention the creative team at all?

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Any other titles that looked out of place?

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Any other titles that looked out of place?

Unfortunately it had my address on it so I shredded it. (Less about paranoia and more about an excuse to use the shredder) I recall GotG on there though.

No creative teams.

Honestly I think it may have just been an out of date form that got mailed to me.

• Options
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Avengers 4
    Having a hard time picturing Cap getting a new costume made after the events of 3

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Avengers 4
    Having a hard time picturing Cap getting a new costume made after the events of 3
    Calling it, prototype suit Tony made gets automatically deployed to him as part of the "Avengers Disassembled" protocol.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    AzraithAzraith DON'T Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Avengers 4
    Calling it, prototype suit Tony made gets automatically deployed to him as part of the "Avengers Disassembled" protocol.
    There's something a little hand-wavey about Tony having a contingency for everything, but that was a literal and integral plot point in the evolution of his films, so I'd like to think he has all of these nutso one-off things waiting with some kind of specific trigger in place.

kgefLUA.png
    Steam Live: Azraith PSN: AzraithDeMitri
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Avengers 4
    time shenanigans making the 'present' different?

This discussion has been closed.