As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The only reason the Street Fighter Storytelling Game failed is White Wolf probably then released Exalted, which is the culmination of ridiculous martial arts and storytelling (re: anime) tropes taken to the infinite degree.

But yo, I would love to roll 9d10s and beat my opponent up with a roundhouse kick.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I liked how Pai-chan worked in DoA. Put the VF cast in more things.

Put them in Smash U.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Nappa is very good in the theoretical situation where you can get someone into the corner, then safely tag in Nappa

Having to do neutral with Nappa is fuckin lmao shit

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Any idea if 17 is included in the season pass?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    He is the 8th character.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I might have to actually try and learn DBFZ now.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    17 looks great. Hopefully the stage is free or a part of the season pass. The base game really doesn't have enough stages.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Fig-D wrote: »
    17 looks great. Hopefully the stage is free or a part of the season pass. The base game really doesn't have enough stages.
    A free update for Dragon Ball FighterZ will be released alongside the Android 17 add-on in late September. It will include the new stage “Space Arena” on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (and presumably PC—V-Jump does not cover PC titles). The Switch version of the stage will be released at a later date.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The hit-effects in SNK Heroin bother me a lot. I can't tell what is what. They all seem ambient and disconnected. It just looks like twenty weird projectiles spawning out of nowhere every few moments.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    they're busy in a way that obfuscates the actual hit connecting

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I got my MVC2 shirt.
    HxeGKpy.jpg

Crap picture because I can't keep my tablet steady. Looks good in person.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    So there's an elephant in the FGC right now, and it's Infiltration, so I wanna rip the bandaid off and discuss it here

To make a long story short, South Korean redditors have assembled a pretty fucking damning face-value situation for the dude. Here's what I know, after plumbing the whole situation, spoilered for domestic abuse triggers:
    It has gotten out that Infiltration is allegedly in the midst of court proceedings involving domestic abuse against his ex-wife. I want to keep saying "as far as I know", so just assume that prefaces everything. My current understanding of events is that he regularly beat his ex, that she has won one court case against him (so far, there are more to come), and that there is a recording of him beating her, into the bargain. The transcript is very gruesome and very difficult to read, so I'm not keen on posting it here, but you can find it very easily with some key words.

The gist of the transcript is that he starts hurting her, then finds out she is recording it all, and tells her that it won't matter before hurting her again. It's a really fucking brutal read.

So far, there is no confirmation one way or another, and no statement from Infiltration himself. Panda Global has begun its own independent investigation, ostensibly to decide whether or not to fire him. I have seen several bigtime TOs, commentators, and players weigh in on this with the general sentiment being that he should be barred from competitions until more is known. A lot of people have also weighed in, asserting that he is innocent until proven guilty, or that this is some SJW scheme, so on and so forth.

One of the most interesting takes on this that I have seen comes from a native Korean who tells us that they have been very surprised at how well Infiltration has been adopted as a cult of personality by foreigners--non Koreans. They basically state that Infiltration speaks in a way in Korean that is equivalent to the way The Jersey Shore interprets English, and that they are baffled at so many people cosigning someone that, to them, sounds like a total douchebag.

Another Korean insight I have gleaned from all of this is that domestic violence, as far as Korean society and courts are concerned, is on some 1920s shit as far as Americans are concerned. It is very biased towards the husband, and the aspect of the Family Breadwinner affords a South Korean man with a great deal of legal latitude. The conventional wisdom, according to these Korean internet people, is that this is something that--even if true--he will skate past with smal consequence in his home country.

That's about as an objective accounting as I can muster. The rest of this post probably won't be as objective, or be that at all.

It bums me the fuck out, personally. Infiltration has always been the quintessential softboy of the FGC, who seems to get along with everyone and is universally well-liked. Much like Nick Robinson, I have seen a hard turn against him in some twitter circles, but also like Nick Robinson, a lot of the big names are either quiet or obsequious about it. It should not be omitted that Infiltration is a really fucking horny dude on social media, and all of this makes me deeply uncomfortable re: women in the FGC.

If I'm being totally honest, I believe this, and I think the dude can go fuck himself, but I am curious what other folks think. I am curious what this means for the FGC moving forward, since it is, as an unmitigated whole, the community that has glossed over people like Noel Brown and Marn. I expected this to be a huge deal by now, but it's still something I see being addressed very carefully, even by people like Honzo Gonzo. I'm addressing it more carefully than I feel like I should, myself. I'm not sure how to end this post. I'm not sure what happens next.

THESPOOKY on
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Marn is such a heel that even dumpsters like r/Kappa think Marn is a rubbish human being.
    I am sad to hear the story of Infiltration. Indeed he comports himself well in foreign settings, so much so that I think many felt that he was a good professional role model for professional gamers; I know I did! Certainly I think in the English-speaking internet nobody knew about the court proceedings that were going on.

But man, what a fall from grace if all that is true. I don't think anybody will be able to look at him the same way afterwards, not fans and not sponsors.

Don't beat your significant others because you're angry! It's not hard! Wtf!

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    when I heard about it I instinctively thought it was highly plausible to the point where I'm a little surprised nobody has called the Korean authorities responsible for this and tried to ask if he's actually under investigation... my understanding was that he has already been to court, if that's true then someone must know about it (apparently there's a contention that his legal name is basically "John Smith" in Korean, so there's a potential for false positives in court records)

but he got married, was very public about it, his wife was on stream even at certain stages, and then suddenly total disappearance, rumors of divorce, some extremely dramatic tweets from the apparent ex-wife, etc that all spelled "something bad happened", this was months before these allegations came to the surface. it parses.

it's a pretty fatiguing revelation just as a fan of the sport, because it really seems sometimes like it's 99% shitheads. I mean.. Marn... bruh.... did anyone watch the last Excellent Adventures he was on where he basically confesses to extorting the women he employs in Vietnam into fucking him so they can keep their jobs while Gooteks and Mike grin and chuckle

I'm kinda glad Mike retired because I don't want to find out that he's actually some insane asshole or something too. Let me keep the memories.

But short of extreme examples, I read & follow social media accounts from high profile people in that circle and I'm like... man... some of these guys are actually insane losers, albeit just short of being a true social criminal

Jasconius on
  • Options
    The idea that we should now be afraid of everyone we enjoy in the FGC is far and away the most troubling part of this to me. I was discussing this amongst some fg pals, and this paraphrased tidbit came up: "Tasty steve is the best thing that's happened to the FGC lately. I hope he isn't trash."

I think that we will inevitably find the absolute truth about Infiltration, given the amount of sleuthing that is now in motion, but giving OTHER plausibly safe FGC figures a glance is where I think this gets the most hairy. Tasty Steve, in particular, is one of three known folks I decided to bother at Final Round '18, and he seemed like the absolute nicest dude I've ever met. But does he kick the shit out of his S/O?

That's a totally rhetorical question, but it's the kind of spooky wonderment that I am afraid of. I don't want to have to wonder about every cool player/commentator I see. Further, I don't want to see the future where this is confirmed true and Infiltration is, in hypothetical fact, a wife beater, but no one cares. And if the trend follows that IS what will happen.

Again, I feel like I should have some sage Dan Rather shit to end this post, but I'm just worried. 2018, I guess.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Honestly it isn't so much a case of everybody being a shithell as much as folks knowing who the shithells are and keeping them around because they're popular or friends with someone who is popular.

Like I'm all for second chances when folks visibly make the effort and think some people can learn from their mistakes that said there are a few folks who've been trash for years and should have been gone.

As for Infiltration, if it's true(and its possible given him being missing from a lot of recent tourneys) I would hope to see him banned, top player or no.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I don't like the idea that people need to be background checked before being allowed into tournaments because I've known people with convictions and after having punishment meted out onto them from the justice system, I wouldn't want them further ostracized from society. I say that even though I know full well that somebody who is a convicted murderer I would feel uncomfortable around if I knew that they were a convicted murderer and had no other personal connection to them.

I don't like the idea that every single person who is a capable professional needs to pass whatever my own value judgments are in order to be admissible to <thing> or for them to be worthwhile at their profession. I don't feel comfortable with being the arbiter of that, and I don't like how that means I'd have to be paranoid and feel retroactive guilt over anything I later discover was done by a not-good person. But I also don't want to support people who do scummy things. I sure don't want to see Marn winning anything ever, though that's clearly a bit of hypocrisy from me.

I don't overall feel like it's a different situation from other fields, like music/pro sports/movies/etc., but because it's in an area I'm so much more closely involved with, it feels a lot more uncomfortable. It's relatively easy for me to choose to not watch somebody's movies, or to say "well, he was good in that movie, even though now I know he's a terrible person"... but in the case of fighting games, I've just been in this scene for so long that it feels much more deeply troubling to just say that I'm going to cut ties with this or with that. In some ways, I think it's because of that closer connection that I feel much more unsettled with rendering those kinds of judgments because the fact that the perpetrator is a human being is something much more appreciable, as opposed to <person in entertainment field I will never be a part of>.

But I also don't want to keep company with unrepentant wife-beaters.

Oof.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The thing i keep coming back to is something honzo tweeted:

Correct me if i dont have the most up to date info. Has infil made any public comment yet?

Sometimes people we admire turn out to be shitbags. Not a concept thats unique to the fgc, thats just life. Not about to stop playing fighting games or anything, but I hope a message is sent that this isnt tolerated by sponsors or the community.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Oh yow... https://www.twitch.tv/ capcomfighters banned the word "infiltration" across their chat globally

man this is fucked up and bad from every angle

Brolo on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    why? e: oh

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    pretty stoked for 17

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    In not horrible, depressing, or anime news:

• Options
    but you repeat yourself

alt post: soul calibur isn't anime???

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    No

No

• Options
    so it's not not anime?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    so it's not not anime?

Of course not

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Man...I can't wait for SC.

Also how the hell do you fight Bryan. He's all...safe attack, safe attack...you tried to approach...Haha safe launcher orbital.

I hate him.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i wish the network test beta thing was lobbies but only ranked huh?

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Also how the hell do you fight Bryan. He's all...safe attack, safe attack...you tried to approach...Haha safe launcher orbital.

My experience with fighting against Bryan is this:
    - making him whiff opens him to getting launched. That's true with everybody, but he's got a bunch of big moves that are safe on block that you can bait out, as well as having combo starters that you can bait out.
    - he has many launchers that are counterhit launchers or are high.
    - orbital heel is a really, really good move: super evasive, crushes lows, safe on block, hard to punish in general, comically difficult to counter hit... I really have nothing to say that others haven't already. The question to ask is "What would make Bryan choose NOT to orbital heel, given that it just seems to do it all?"
    - jet upper is like josie's d/f+2 except safe on block.
    - Bryan has lots of safe mids, but many of the moves that give him frame advantage are awkward, often coming with big startup. What this means is that when you are both at neutral, successfully blocking Bryan usually means he "loses" his turn... I qualify the "loses", because he always wants to invite you to attack so that he can have a chance at a big CH launcher.
    - block snake edge and punish it. I say this, but I can't do it well at all because I'm pretty bad.

So if your Bryan is pestering you with safe attacks, the question should be how should you best seize the initiative after having successfully blocked.
    The next question is, given that Bryan has such strong CH tools, how can you attack him in ways that are difficult for him to CH?
    Lastly, if the Bryan is trying to play very offensively, is he doing so in a way that is sloppy and actually exposes him to being duck jabbed or just plain ducked? Is he just throwing up his big plus on block moves? Can you make the big plus on block moves whiff? What high crushing moves do you have?

I think mentally, Bryan players tend to come in one of two flavors: the kind that just can't resist all the big damage and sweet combo starters he has and go super aggressive with him, and the ones that play... I guess the way I imagine Lee plays? They poke at you a bit and try to counter hit you, and don't get really aggressive until they have you at the wall.

Now, if Bryan has you at the wall, his offense suddenly becomes super threatening because he can do a LOT of damage at the wall, and no longer needs counter hits to start combos with his highs but while we're at it jet upper still does great damage at the wall, he could taunt combo you (even without TJU, just a basic string from taunt does damage you can't ignore!), etc. Bryan at the wall is... I dunno, good luck. I don't know the answer to this, either. @Knob please enlighten us. Maybe tell us tactics for orbital heel, too.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Watching TGS and god Zhi and Majin Obama are like my version of commentator hell.

• Options
    You can jab bryan out of orbital heel on reaction and get a float combo. Its linear too. You should use a lot of lateral movement against bryan on your approach since his good keepout tools are mostly linear. Step well and all you really have to stress about on the approach is mach kick, which is highly whiff punishable. Orbital should only ever tag you if you were already committed to something that he read.

Um. Mostly just let him do df+1 shit. You're gonna feel like a goof when he stops the string short and gets extra pressure from negative frames, but you'll feel worse when you get CH by a delay. Every hit of df+1,1,1,1,1,2 is delayable.

This is kinda a meta strategy, but since bryan is a backsway char, spend a couple seconds checking if the opponent can move very well with him. If they can't, then play against that. Make him come to you and dont stress as much about whiffing because he's going to be bad at feinting advances. If he runs up and sways back, hang him for it.

Bryan is actually kind of shit at creating + frames for himself. b+1 is really the only super useful tool he has for that, and due to how slow it is its only useful at a certain range. Get in that range and backdash out and watch a big whiffed b+1 or 3+4.

His panic moves aren't the best. I know it hurts like hell eating a big counterhit, but he shouldn't really be getting them when you're in his face unless your pressure is sloppy. His payoff moves are all pretty slow, and he doesnt really have any quality panic moves. Like, no hopkick, in order to combo off a CH 4, he has to commit to 4,3. Stuff like that.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Also I wanna talk about 'turns' in fighting games. I think SFV was the game that really popularized this way of thinking, and its a good way of thinking because its the simplest way to explain to new players when and why they can/should press buttons.

But while this is a great way to think of SFV particularly, it can break down in other games. In SFV, if I block something that leaves my opponent point blank at -2, i can retaliate with a 5f medium attack and it will beat every option the opponent has except block or high risk reversal (usually costing resources). Its a binary situation, where one of the choices has such abysmal risk/reward that we can basically table it. Since the opponent's options have been so severely pared down, we can confidently press our button and start our sequence. Its our turn because the opponent can't say shit about it even if they wanted to.

Now take a situation in tekken where we've blocked something that is in the -6/-7 range. I see a lot of cats on the twitters and reddits and such saying 'this move is safe but you give up your turn' about these kind of situations. Dangerous way to think, because our opponent still has hell of options here. They can safely attempt to backdash any high or mid and possibly get a whiff punish if successful or simply block if unsuccessful. They can attempt to crush a high or a low, and many characters have pretty low risk/low commitment crush options available to them. They can still step or walk anything that doesn't track well to that side.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't press your advantage in a plus frame situation, and I'm not saying that you should always try and steal momentum when you're negative, but both of those situations carry risk that doesn't usually exist in 2d fighters. We cannot confidently say, 'It's My Turn!' and slap our button, because the opponent is not out of options. We still have to play the game.

Knob on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    A very good tutorial video i watvhed when getting in to tekken talked about how tekken is, if not entirely non-turn based, much less turn-based than other fighting games

This discussion has been closed.