As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Laptop Replacement/Suggestions Thread: Bring out yer dead laptops!

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You just missed all the back-to-school sales, so you may need to wait a month or two for another round of sales.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Any big things to look at or ingore? Such as i5 vs i7. Are amd''s even an option anymore?

Seems like a Leenova y570 is a good baseline to compare aainst as it's right around $1,000 and seems to be a decent game machine.

*edit*

Also what are some good sites to look at and ones to steer away from? I remember stuff from bestbuy being pretty much junk, and it's always nice to be able to customize something at dell. I've never looked at newegg before but used to get PC parts from there. Also, is iBuypower pretty much crap? They popped up on google and I remember them being ok for PC's way back when.

RickRude on
    edited September 2018
    I'm hoping to order one in the next few weeks unless there's any sales/new tech coming out that will lower prices soon. Any and all help is appreciated. Even a $500 laptop would be a huge upgrade and a 17" screen is what I'm mostly looking for. in the past I've spent $750-$1100 and gotten one that will last 4-5 years

*EDIT* I was waiting on some money, it actually just came through. So, I could and would love to buy tomorrow, but I'm hesitant until I feel informed . If I was to do this search, any ideas on what to stay away from or are good deals? I think one of the biggest things I'd like is a big screen as that's what I hate about my current one the most.

https://www.amazon.com/s/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_n_intended_use_bro_2?fst=as:off&rh=n:172282,n:541966,n:13896617011,n:565108,k:laptop,p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2289792011,p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:3012497011,p_n_intended_use_browse-bin:9647497011&keywords=laptop&ie=UTF8&qid=1537268311&rnid=9647496011

**EDIT**

Is this a really good deal or is somethingwrong with it?

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-G3779-7934BLK-PUS-Gaming-Laptop-Display/dp/B07BXWHSRW/ref=sr_1_10?s=pc&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1537269156&sr=1-10&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin:2289792011,p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin:3012497011,p_n_intended_use_browse-bin:9647497011,p_n_size_browse-bin:7817234011,p_n_graphics_type_browse-bin:14292273011,p_36:70000-115000,p_85:2470955011

RickRude on
    For Dells, you can get better prices by going directly to their site. There are many coupons that will lower the price via their site vs. going through a portal like Amazon. Dells are still very good.

The one you linked is fine, but I would prefer to see more RAM (this is an easy upgrade you can do yourself, as long as you can confirm that you have access to both RAM slots when you crack it open). Personal preference for me: I'd rather see a larger SSD and completely drop the 5400 RPM drive. Again, this is something you can easily replace (at the very least, look for a 7200 RPM replacement or possibly a SSHD, if you don't want to spend money on a larger SSD). What price does this show as if you spec it out at Dell's site?

Also, for Amazon links in general, you do not need to add the "ref=..." portion of the link. I know you were just quickly copy-pasting, but it's good to remember going forward.

Check other retail sites like Newegg, Fry's, Best Buy, or even Walmart. They tend to have sales regularly. If you're willing to be patient, you will see more sales soon, closer to Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and Christmas. Also, if you live near a Microcenter, go in and see what they have available. Their in-store deals are very good.

There's also this, which is similar to what you linked:

https://slickdeals.net/f/12003067-dell-g3-17-laptop-g3779-7934blk-pus-799-after-price-match-b-m-ymmv (not sure if the link works)

edited September 2018
    Mugsley wrote: »
    There's also this, which is similar to what you linked:

https://slickdeals.net/f/12003067-dell-g3-17-laptop-g3779-7934blk-pus-799-after-price-match-b-m-ymmv (not sure if the link works)

The links working but it shows it for $1100 at Sams club for me oddly.

I'm looking at the Dell G3 17 Gaming at Dell right now, and with coupons, it's down to $1149. I'm trying to see if the 10% discount veterans stacks with other offers. Even if not, it still might get it lower.

Is this a good deal? It's an open box for $799
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154830R

*edit* and as much as I'd like to order it now, I may hold off a bit and rethink what I'm looking for. I currently have an old ideapad with a gefrce gtx660M, and an old I7. So anything will be a huge upgrade. The games I mainly play are league of legends, tabletop simulator and magic arena right now. I like more graphic intense games, and not sure I don't play them on my pc because it can't run them, or if I just don't play many pc games now. I've been looking at laptops with a 1050 video card minimum, but I could save some cash getting a cheaper video card, that would still blow my current system out of the water. I think the big thing I want is a 17" monitor. I'm going to have to measure mine, maybe it's 13" so a 15" would still be huge to me. But that just seems like it'd be nice to have. *edit*

***EDIT Again*** and actually doing some reading, maybe I want to get a 1060 as it's not too much more, offersa big performance boost, and more importantly, the machine would be VR capable if I ever chose to do that. Something I would love to do and actually thought about building a PC for. And maybe I should just build a PC but I've gotten used to the portability of a laptop the last few years ***EDIT**

RickRude on
    So I'm thinking of maybe getting this even though it's slightly more than I originally intended. I figure it being VR ready really future proofs it if I ever go that way, so it's either go with the 1060, or rethink things and go ore $600-$800 range. Either 1060 or a more budget video card. It's a dell G3 17 Gaming. The only shitty thing is a 5400 HD, and it's 2TB. Maybe I'll have to look at configurations I'd rather either a faster 1TB drive, or to save some money and go with 1TB. It's $1149 right now, and tomorrow I'm going to verify my veteran status hopefully for another 10% off. Or, it'll replace one coupon, and make it closer to $1100. Details spoiled for long

Dell G3 17
    Dell G3 17-3779

Processor
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English

Memory
    16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

Hard Drive
    256GB Solid State Drive (Boot) + 2TB 5400RPM Hard Drive (Storage)

Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with NVIDIA® Max Q Design technology, 6GB GDDR5 video memory

LCD
    17.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

Color Choice
    Black

Wireless
    802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth

Primary Battery
    56 Whr, 4-Cell Battery (Integrated)

Keyboard
    English Backlit Keyboard - Blue Print

Power Supply
    180 Watt AC Adapter

Cable
    Power Cord US

Business Support
    Dell.com Order

Documentation/Disks
    Documentation, English-French

Packaging Label
    Dell.com Order

PalmRest Labels
    Palmrest Label for FHD Non-Touch Config (English)

Additional Software
    Additional Software

Processor Branding
    Intel® Core™ i7 Label

Packaging
    Shipping Material

E-Star
    Energy Star

Shipping SKU's
    Shipping Information

Systems Management
    System Driver, Windows

Placemat
    Placemat Documentation

Driver
    Intel Wireless-AC 9462 Driver

Operating System Recovery Options
    Operating System Recovery Media Not Included

FGA Module
    LOKI-G-17CFL1901_207/US/CA/MX/BTO

PalmRest
    Black Palmrest without Fingerprint Reader for NV 1060

Wallpapers
    G3 Blue Wallpaper

Label
    Regulatory Label,180W

Hard Drive Software
    Info Mod for SSD

Games
    Includes free digital downloads of Tomb Raider & Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hardware Support Services
    1 Year Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis

Microsoft Application Software
    Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial

Protect your new PC
    McAfee LiveSafe 12 Month Subscription

$1,498.99
    Hide savings

Dell G3 17 Gaming price includes $249 instant discount
    Details

Save $100 off Select PC's $999.99 or more
    Details

12 months special financing
    Details
    - $349.00
    Item Total:
    $1,149.99

I'm going to look around more, but it has everything I want and should last 5 years like my previous laptop.

Thoughts are very appreciated though.

edited September 2018
    I don't see any red flags there. You can swap out the HDD yourself at a later date; there should be some solid deals in the next 2-3 months (admittedly, there are a few floating around even now).

I recommend you use the Win10 install-via-USB-key to clean out the add-in cruft that always comes with retail laptops. You don't need to do it right away, but it should be done before you get yourself fully up and running so that there isn't a lot of files or folders you need to try to keep. Do a Google search; I do not have a link (it'll be a direct MS link/site)

My main philosophy when it comes to laptops is to get the best you can afford on everything you can't upgrade yourself: display, CPU, GPU, size. The rest can be mitigated with add-ins (e.g. mouse) or can be upgraded by yourself later. (Yes, I know you can connect an external display, but then that eliminates the portability aspect)

It's probably worth a quick run through the Dell G3-specific posts over at http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/dell.4/ just to see how well the model is received. I want to warn you, though, that site can turn into a giant, deep rabbit hole very quickly. Don't let it suck you in and get you overwhelmed with information.

Mugsley on
    edited September 2018
    Ordered that dell. Seemed like a really good deal and that $250 off coupon and the $100 off coupon were expiring soon. Has everything I want, so why not.

Edit

Anybody had recent experience with Dell ship times? My guaranteed delivery date is October 16th. That seems long.

RickRude on
    Yeah, 3.5 weeks seems a bit long. When I ordered my GSync monitor through them it took a while, too. I don't recall how long, but I believe in that case it was related to the fact they were backordered. Maybe give them a call and see what they say?

Well that was their guaranteed delivery date. I know it's shipped as soon as it's built, I was just curious if anyone had recent experience and how quick it was in actuality.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Well that was their guaranteed delivery date. I know it's shipped as soon as it's built, I was just curious if anyone had recent experience and how quick it was in actuality.

From Canada here, just bought a set of Latitudes from them this month, they showed up about 5 days ahead of schedule. Ships as soon as their built, in most cases.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Ordered that dell. Seemed like a really good deal and that $250 off coupon and the $100 off coupon were expiring soon. Has everything I want, so why not.

Edit

Anybody had recent experience with Dell ship times? My guaranteed delivery date is October 16th. That seems long.

The 5-6 things I've ordered directly from Dell in the last 6 months or go always arrived prior to the date they said it would.

EDIT: I had some network disconnect issues until I remove that crap SmartByte Network garbage.

Bigity on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    So I'm thinking of maybe getting this even though it's slightly more than I originally intended. I figure it being VR ready really future proofs it if I ever go that way, so it's either go with the 1060, or rethink things and go ore $600-$800 range. Either 1060 or a more budget video card. It's a dell G3 17 Gaming. The only shitty thing is a 5400 HD, and it's 2TB. Maybe I'll have to look at configurations I'd rather either a faster 1TB drive, or to save some money and go with 1TB. It's $1149 right now, and tomorrow I'm going to verify my veteran status hopefully for another 10% off. Or, it'll replace one coupon, and make it closer to $1100. Details spoiled for long

Dell G3 17
    Dell G3 17-3779

Processor
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English

Memory
    16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4, 2666MHz

Hard Drive
    256GB Solid State Drive (Boot) + 2TB 5400RPM Hard Drive (Storage)

Video Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with NVIDIA® Max Q Design technology, 6GB GDDR5 video memory

LCD
    17.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display

Color Choice
    Black

Wireless
    802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth

Primary Battery
    56 Whr, 4-Cell Battery (Integrated)

Keyboard
    English Backlit Keyboard - Blue Print

Power Supply
    180 Watt AC Adapter

Cable
    Power Cord US

Business Support
    Dell.com Order

Documentation/Disks
    Documentation, English-French

Packaging Label
    Dell.com Order

PalmRest Labels
    Palmrest Label for FHD Non-Touch Config (English)

Additional Software
    Additional Software

Processor Branding
    Intel® Core™ i7 Label

Packaging
    Shipping Material

E-Star
    Energy Star

Shipping SKU's
    Shipping Information

Systems Management
    System Driver, Windows

Placemat
    Placemat Documentation

Driver
    Intel Wireless-AC 9462 Driver

Operating System Recovery Options
    Operating System Recovery Media Not Included

FGA Module
    LOKI-G-17CFL1901_207/US/CA/MX/BTO

PalmRest
    Black Palmrest without Fingerprint Reader for NV 1060

Wallpapers
    G3 Blue Wallpaper

Label
    Regulatory Label,180W

Hard Drive Software
    Info Mod for SSD

Games
    Includes free digital downloads of Tomb Raider & Rise of the Tomb Raider

Hardware Support Services
    1 Year Hardware Service with Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis

Microsoft Application Software
    Microsoft Office 30 Day Trial

Protect your new PC
    McAfee LiveSafe 12 Month Subscription

$1,498.99
    Hide savings

Dell G3 17 Gaming price includes $249 instant discount
    Details

Save $100 off Select PC's $999.99 or more
    Details

12 months special financing
    Details
    - $349.00
    Item Total:
    $1,149.99

I'm going to look around more, but it has everything I want and should last 5 years like my previous laptop.

Thoughts are very appreciated though.

I have an open box Inspiron that was the precursor the G series, and I am very happy (caveat - for the price point). It was a big big upgrade from my old ASUS with a GTX 670M.

Bigity on
    Here's a question, with the specs mentionef, anyone know if it's VR capable or not? I thought it was and have been posting in the VR thread, but I guess it depends on the hdmi port. If it's not, I'm going to wish I had either spent a little more, or went the other end and spent a lot less.

According to people in the VR thread it should be.

Of course, like any sane person, I've been totally patient and haven't checked my order at all.... I lie. I check it multiple times a day.

Today it said something like custome build complete. It made it sound like the build was done. Now it doesn't say that. I'm probably reading into things, but I'm hoping that means it's built and ready to ship out next week. We shall see. Odd that it said something and now it doesn't , and for all I know, it was just referring to my order.

So excited. Debating on whether to get this $100 VR headset someone posted or Occulus and go all in.

• OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Just ordered this for my wife as a graduation present. She wants to be able to play stuff like The Sims and WoW (maybe at medium settings if necessary), but doesn't have any gaming needs more demanding than that. Did I do okay?

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    Just ordered this for my wife as a graduation present. She wants to be able to play stuff like The Sims and WoW (maybe at medium settings if necessary), but doesn't have any gaming needs more demanding than that. Did I do okay?

I think you did fine. Quad core with a dedicated gpu for 600 isn't bad at all. It's a little out of date gpu wise, but that shouldn't be an issue for the things your wife is likely to play.

Yeah, I was hoping for at least an MX150, but I couldn't find anything under 700 which had all the other specs I was looking for (touchscreen, quad-core, relatively small/lightweight in case she has to tote it to work later on). Hopefully the 940MX will cut it on casual titles like she plays.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    My laptop shipped from Dell today so I expect it should be much sooner than the October 16th guaranteed date.

I'm excited

My laptop shipped from Dell today so I expect it should be much sooner than the October 16th guaranteed date.

I'm excited

So update. Unless fed ex is tripping, it's scheduled to be here today, saturday. I didn't upgrade any shipping and had standard. That's a pretty quick turn around. So far pretty excited about the price and turn around.

Now to decide on VR or wait with the quest announcement. Not sure if my 1060 is better than what will be in that unit.

Enjoy!

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I'm excited

So update. Unless fed ex is tripping, it's scheduled to be here today, saturday. I didn't upgrade any shipping and had standard. That's a pretty quick turn around. So far pretty excited about the price and turn around.

Now to decide on VR or wait with the quest announcement. Not sure if my 1060 is better than what will be in that unit.

Dell is pretty good most of the time. They likely have the high guaranteed date because they may have to build a new laptop to meet the specific specs you requested. If they already have one on hand that meets that configuration, then bingo bango bongo, it's on it's way to you.

Once you're happy with the machine, make sure you do a clean install of Windows to clear out the crapware.

I've been building my own PCs for so long now--out of curiosity, what is the process for doing a clean Windows install without having to buy a new license key on new laptops/prebuilt computers these days? Do they usually come with a USB boot drive or whatever?

You use the USB tool via Microsoft, and just use the key that comes with the system. You'll still need your own USB key.

My older Lenovo has a separate (small) partition that can be used to get back to a clean install, but most don't use a feature like that anymore (to my knowledge)

Just came in and the thing is beutiful. The backlit keyboard looks amazing as does the screen. Huge upgrade.

There's also a sticker that says coulis ready and I may have ordered that ;)

Need to do a fresh winows install, will probably do that later in the week and clean my old one for my gf

You use the USB tool via Microsoft, and just use the key that comes with the system. You'll still need your own USB key.

My older Lenovo has a separate (small) partition that can be used to get back to a clean install, but most don't use a feature like that anymore (to my knowledge)

Gotcha, thanks. I think the last computer I built I still installed from a Windows 7 DVD. It's, uh... been awhile.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Are there any other 2-in-1s (or at least convertibles) that have a dedicated graphics card? The surface book 2 is....a bit pricey

steam_sig.png
    Hm. Maybe HP or Lenovo? Does the Yoga count? I'm not sure if you can get a version of that with a discrete card and have it not cost $Texas.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Quick google search brings me to this page: https://www.ultrabookreview.com/2218-top-ultrabook-convertible/

Did a find in page for "nvidia" and it revealed a few options.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    A coworker reminded me of another alternative. Does anyone have any anecdotes about using a thunderbolt GPU with a laptop? (and maybe even hooking it up to my desktop too?)

steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Okay, laptop thread. I have a relative who is looking for a new laptop. She wants to put together a site for selling vintage clothes, linen and lace. Also, of course, emails, internet banking and (i'm going to assume) light web browsing. Nothing smaller than 15", 17" is also an option as it won't be getting carted around constantly but I think 15" is the sweet spot.

So, we're not looking for an ultimate powerhouse of a machine, but she does want something reasonably snappy if at all possible, with a good few years of useful life.

Given the main focus of her usage, I thought prioritising a quality display was a good idea; something with at least a 1080p resolution and reasonably accurate colour reproduction.

The budget is quite modest; £500 UK, ideally, but can go up to £600 absolute maximum if the upgrades are worth it. (That will also have to include VAT.)

We first discussed this a couple of months ago and honestly I thought she'd got it all in hand; apparently not, so initial looks at the Dell Outlet store (usually my first port of call) are making me wonder if I can find a suitable machine, so I thought I'd turn to you guys while I continue to poke around. It looks like prices are already on the rise here compared to even a couple of months ago, which complicates matters. I'd hoped to find something with a decent CPU, 8GB of RAM so Win10 isn't choking and ideally an SSD, to future-proof it at least a bit, but I'm starting to feel that that's asking a lot within the budget, especially the SSD.

Jazz on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    When I was looking for a new laptop a couple of months back there are a few i5 8250u and ryzen r5 mobile 15" laptops with 8gb ram around that price range.

Might be difficult to find everything you want in that price range. Not sure though. I'm just roughly converting what I remember Australian prices being.

A lot of them around that price you had to compromise between screen resolution and storage. Lots of 1366x768 screens with 250+GB ssd and lots of 1080p displays with just hard drive or 128GB ssd and hard drive.

I ended up going above that range (~£700) to get a 15" asus vivobook s with 1080p and 512GB ssd. Actual price in the UK is probably a little cheaper than that though.

Also look carefully at memory if you're browsing online for models. I saw a lot quoting system memory rather than ram in the short descriptions but upon inspection that system memory was ram + optane.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

Jazz wrote: »
    Okay, laptop thread. I have a relative who is looking for a new laptop. She wants to put together a site for selling vintage clothes, linen and lace. Also, of course, emails, internet banking and (i'm going to assume) light web browsing. Nothing smaller than 15", 17" is also an option as it won't be getting carted around constantly but I think 15" is the sweet spot.

So, we're not looking for an ultimate powerhouse of a machine, but she does want something reasonably snappy if at all possible, with a good few years of useful life.

Given the main focus of her usage, I thought prioritising a quality display was a good idea; something with at least a 1080p resolution and reasonably accurate colour reproduction.

The budget is quite modest; £500 UK, ideally, but can go up to £600 absolute maximum if the upgrades are worth it. (That will also have to include VAT.)

We first discussed this a couple of months ago and honestly I thought she'd got it all in hand; apparently not, so initial looks at the Dell Outlet store (usually my first port of call) are making me wonder if I can find a suitable machine, so I thought I'd turn to you guys while I continue to poke around. It looks like prices are already on the rise here compared to even a couple of months ago, which complicates matters. I'd hoped to find something with a decent CPU, 8GB of RAM so Win10 isn't choking and ideally an SSD, to future-proof it at least a bit, but I'm starting to feel that that's asking a lot within the budget, especially the SSD.

I've been pretty happy with my dell. If they have any good coupons going, which you can frequently find, yhou should find something in your price range with the specs you want.

It sounds silly, but go with something that has a cheap spinning drive; then use upcoming Holiday sales to nail down a replacement SSD for a cheaper price. The final outlay may be slightly more, but you won't be hamstrung on your budget because of the SSDs.

In my experience, laptop OEMs *still* place a premium on SSDs, even though the price per GB is about 1/4 of what it was 18 months ago. (i.e. they put in 128GB or 256GB drives and charge over 200 Lizzylus extra)

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 15 5575, that's the model with the Ryzen 5 2500u. I'm pretty happy with it, but I also recommend upgrading it right out of the box. As it is configured in the US, it comes with 2x4GB of DDR4 and a 1TB 5400RPM HDD. Apparently some of the overseas markets come with a single stick of RAM, which caused me to have a lopsided 12GB co figuration after upgrading, but that's plenty of RAM for my needs. The HDD is really slow though. However, the laptop has an open M.2 slot for an SSD, so I bought a 480GB XPG SX8200 SSD on sale and with that drive the laptop is super responsive.

Downsides have been that it runs a bit warm (mitigated entirely by using a cheap cooling pad with a fan) and that the screen, while 1080p, is a bit washed out.

I paid about $460 for the laptop on sale, and spent another $180 on the SSD and 8GB stick of RAM. Not sure what pricing is like in the UK, or if the laptop is even available there.

jgeis on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hey folks I am having a really hard time deciding between getting either a XPS 15 or the new Lenovo X1 extreme over here. I've heard that the new XPS have a big problem with heat so I was wondering if anyone in here have any experience with the laptop itself. Also 4k screens, are they worth it for that price?

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It sounds silly, but go with something that has a cheap spinning drive; then use upcoming Holiday sales to nail down a replacement SSD for a cheaper price. The final outlay may be slightly more, but you won't be hamstrung on your budget because of the SSDs.

In my experience, laptop OEMs *still* place a premium on SSDs, even though the price per GB is about 1/4 of what it was 18 months ago. (i.e. they put in 128GB or 256GB drives and charge over 200 Lizzylus extra)

I think you're right about pricing, and it's a pretty good idea. The difficulty with that is that this relative lives on the other side of the UK and I'm only over there maybe once a year at best. I'm not sure if she could find anyone else to do that upgrade, but I guess that's a possibility; I know unfortunately she's not "techie" enough to do it herself.

There's one model in particular that's caught my eye, the Dell Inspiron 17 5767, especially as it apparently sports a genuinely good 17" display which a lot of the 15" models seem to skimp on in this price bracket, and I can get one with an i5-7200U and 8GB well within budget; but it seems to be lacking an M.2 bay, and the idea of cloning and replacing the HDD with a 2.5" SSD is a bit beyond my tinkering comfort zone. But at least it's a possible upgrade path if needed.

I'll suggest it to her, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks for all your input, guys, suggestions are still welcomed :)

Jazz on
    If you're getting it before she gets to play with it, you can straight swap in a SSD and load fresh Win10 on it. No need to worry about cloning. In fact, you could even buy the SSD, have it shipped to your place, load fresh W10, then do a physical swap the next time you get together. After that, you just need to (re)install any programs and copy over files. It's pretty straightforward.

Otherwise, depending on OEM, they have their own cloning programs (the Samsung works quite well, but only plays with Samsung drives as the "destination" obv) or spend a small amount and get a retail key for Acronis True Image.