As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    The way I think of Tekken is that everything in Tekken is flaky AF and unless you are literally being juggled, there's always something you can do other than block that might be a good idea.

In most 2D fighting games, offense is a lot more "solid", and ESPECIALLY in anime games where projectile-backed offense is super strong, there are a lot of times where your only real option is to block and wait until your opponent is pushed out and has a gap where they need time to get back in.

Funny thing for me is that the "turns" idea was something that I mostly heard about from Tekken! The phrase "stolen turns" is entirely a Tekken-ism to me (I think Aris talks about "turns" more than any other commentator I know for any fighting game), and the first 2D game I heard of where the designers formally expressed this idea was UNIEL, where in a design interview they talked about how the GRD system was there to make it explicit when the defender was guaranteed a chance a taking a turn.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    All it really means is theres no such thing as putting your opponent in a ten second long blockstring with 3 frame traps, a high/low and a throw mixup in it.

Each engagement in tekken is its own event.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    My current favourite thing that I will never land in an actual match with Feng is:

opponent at wall
    fully charged f,f+1+2, d/f+2,2 wallbounce 4, 1,3, b+1+2
    102 dmg

An opponent getting hit by a fully charged f,f+1+2 puts them in a zillion frames of hitstun, but often Feng is too far away to capitalize on all of hit because of the extreme pushback of the hit. But if the opponent is at the wall, they are close enough that you can land all kinds of things in a true combo, such as d/f+2,2. Since the opponent is not considered in an aerial state, you get the wallbounce from d/f+2,2. If you have rage, you can use the rage drive for even more damage:
    fully charged f,f+1+2, d/f+2,2 wallbounce 4, b+1+2 (rage drive), 1,3, b+1+2
    121 dmg

Odds of landing that fully charged f,f+1+2 on a grounded opponent are nearly zero, though. A LOT has to go right in order for your opponent to actually get hit by that! Even if you manage to successfully hard read certain moves and get that to hit, if they aren't grounded, you can't get the wallbounce.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    SFV AE is coming to the Arcade. Will have all the DLC seasons. And USB ports for pads/sticks.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Angrybird wins european regional finals with zeku, let's fucking go.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    SFV AE is coming to the Arcade. Will have all the DLC seasons. And USB ports for pads/sticks.

wait was the "arcade edition" part of the title "street fighter five arcade edition" a lie

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

wait was the "arcade edition" part of the title "street fighter five arcade edition" a lie

Well, it did add arcade mode.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Welp. Mecha Gief is being added as a build-a-costume. Time for me to acttually do one of those things.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    my boy's got dandy step

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    That right there looks like a dope character that will be too complicated for me, but I'm gonna try anyway.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    since I don't think 17 can do his rekkas in the air, it seems like he will be a very groundbased character like Hit, but with raw damage instead of mixup potential

his dandy step nonsense seems very susceptible to getting 2H'ed

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    since I don't think 17 can do his rekkas in the air, it seems like he will be a very groundbased character like Hit, but with raw damage instead of mixup potential

his dandy step nonsense seems very susceptible to getting 2H'ed

Feints with assists covering it might set up some juicy shenanigans though.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Preloading for the Xbox and PS4 network tests of SC6 is supposed to be available today. Not sure what time.

But yeah, keep an eye on the respective stores in case you have a slower internet connection and need more time to download. The beta unlocks tomorrow.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Preloading for the Xbox and PS4 network tests of SC6 is supposed to be available today. Not sure what time.

But yeah, keep an eye on the respective stores in case you have a slower internet connection and need more time to download. The beta unlocks tomorrow.

Pre-load is Now o’clock

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Well, I mean... She's fully dressed, that's something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUH2l7z9ius&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Skull oh mamma! :P

Turns out it's May Lee in disguise.

maylee-2k1.gif

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Should've just been regular Skullomania but in a cheesecake outfit.

Not that that would've solved every other problem with that game.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    There was a combo video showcase on Shoryuken earlier this week for SNK Heroines. I remember watching one combo and having to check the time stamps. It took 31 seconds to land a 42 hit combo. I think if that happened to me blind I would be outraged at the pace for it to be neither infinite or a kill combo. :P

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Hello fighting games thread

They finally brought back my boy Lei and buffed Asuka, so I’m playing Tekken again. Still just a shitty casual, but I’m having fun so yay.

I have t say though, my previous Tekken experience was 3 and Tag at the arcade in the mall I worked in at the time, so while I enjoyed Lei, I was pretty much just figuring him out as I went along and hoooo boy is he a lot more complicated than I realized at the time.

Soulcalibur 2 (on the GameCube) was my other favourite fighting game back in the day, so I’m excited to try the network test for 6 this weekend

• Options
    Yes, play tekken, this is the proper thing to do

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    @Fearghaill what system

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    PS4!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    oh hell yeah, you can be Geralt in the network test

now I'm not gonna need to buy the game!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    oh hell yeah, you can be Geralt in the network test

now I'm not gonna need to buy the game!

correction: Geralt, and Soulcalibur 6, may actually be super goddamn fun

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Max is playing the beta on stream right now and he's saying, at least from his limited experience so far, the netcode seems fantastic.

HNNNNGGGGHHHHHHHH! Why am I stuck at work today!?!?!

EDIT: caveat - the netcode is fantastic compared to previous SC games. How it stacks up to games that are touted for good connections, he hasn't said.

Undead Monkey on
  • Options
    Ranked online is the only mode available for the beta.

No labbing with homies. Bummer.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    So Soul Calibur is pretty fun, but these rude people won't let me learn my moves! I didn't even know how to crouch at first.

I think I'll buy it, as long as no disastrous issues pop up.

• Options
    IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    only got one game in before work it was rather choppy. forgot about the block button instead of back block. but it was good to be back. alot of sophie is still there

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Deans wrote: »
    So Soul Calibur is pretty fun, but these rude people won't let me learn my moves! I didn't even know how to crouch at first.

Are you new to SC? It's my absolute favorite fighter, and I'd be glad to explain anything.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Fighting EX Layer just got announced for PC

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Are you new to SC? It's my absolute favorite fighter, and I'd be glad to explain anything.

Yeah but I think I get the basic mechanics now, just need to find an actual movelist somewhere.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

Yeah but I think I get the basic mechanics now, just need to find an actual movelist somewhere.

I haven't seen anything comprehensive, but I dropped a post from ATP in Discord: http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2018/1/29/basic-soul-calibur-6-gameplay-characters-guide.html

The part that I especially appreciated was the Soul Charge moves

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Hahaha Ivys command throw inputs are still the stupidest thing in the universe

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Hahaha Ivys command throw inputs are still the stupidest thing in the universe

Ivy's new jumping corkscrew thing that I keep getting when I hit 9B+K is the dumbest thing. This game feels like Tekken 7 to me in so many ways and I can't think of higher praise for a fighting game than that.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Geralt is honestly the first guest that feels immediately at home in this world.

I also like that one of his intro quotes is "Medallion's humming" because all the SC fighters are absolute monsters.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    I'm having a real hard time finding matches but hopefully that changes as people get home and hop online.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
This discussion has been closed.