As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bojack Horseman: Free Churros

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Actually, I think it’s the one where Bojack helps Todd with his rock opera. It encompasses a lot of the show’s underlying points while still being damn funny.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    So much of what makes the latter seasons amazing is built from the start.

But as @pyromaniac221 said above the stealing the D sign is a pretty good one from the first season. The best way would be watching the first four or so episodes in a row, but that might be a harder sell!

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Also once you know what the show is, upon rewatch season 1 is a completely different beast.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I decided to rewatch season 1 (more like podcast it). Wow. Just episode 1. That’s why I tell new people to skip ahead a bit

Also I guess they didn’t get the miscarriage thing down for PC yet.

Kadoken on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I decided to rewatch season 1 (more like podcast it). Wow. Just episode 1. That’s why I tell new people to skip ahead a bit

Also I guess they didn’t get the miscarriage thing down for PC yet.

Probably, but now there's a possibility that she actually did get pregnant at some point but miscarried before telling BoJack about it.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    The show kind of begins its groove by episode 2, imo. Still has early awkwardness but the pacing and dialogue starts to fit closer to what it becomes.

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    There's a great quote at the end of Season 10 of Red vs. Blue that's basically the Bojack jogging speech, but goes a little further (since it's not by a neutral figure), which I find interesting, and is especially fitting for the latest season of Bojack:
    Carolina: "Epsilon, what you and I were involved with - the things we helped do - I'll be honest, I don't know if we can ever get all the way back to good. But I think that we have a chance to do better. And if we wake up every day and try to make things better? Eventually we might find that better is good enough.
    Epsilon: "Good enough."

What's this, a crossover episode?

Incenjucar on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ep 6
    I see you joke was foreshadowed by UCLA

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Because I value my sanity I have only watched this bit by bit.

As someone who got out of the crab bucket episode five hurts.

Aaaaaaand I have to stop two minutes in to episode six

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    In hindsight I regret not streaming my blind reaction to 6.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    I got part way through the eulogy and had to stop again. I’ll try some more tomorrow.

This fucking show.

Mine would have been boring because pretty sure I just stared mouth agape at screen for 20 minutes, pausing once when I thought dang we gotta be like 5 minutes in right? and it was almost over and I was just mesmerized

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Mine would have been boring because pretty sure I just stared mouth agape at screen for 20 minutes, pausing once when I thought dang we gotta be like 5 minutes in right? and it was almost over and I was just mesmerized

Mine was more
    Oh he must be talking to Diane or Gina . Oh no is that a ? Oh no. Oooooh no not at the funeral . Noooo! Then mouth agape for 20 minutes

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Carving out one episode of the show to stand on its own and sell the series feels much like trying to do the same for Achewood - you just gotta get stuck in

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I would just tell the person to watch the first three episodes and if they're still not sold, maybe the series isn't for them.

In the first three you get introduction to the characters, you get Bojack's ranty and self-destructive behaviour, and then Sara Lynn comes in to really raise the roof.

It's three 20 minute episodes, not the world's biggest time commitment.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I would just tell the person to watch the first three episodes and if they're still not sold, maybe the series isn't for them.

In the first three you get introduction to the characters, you get Bojack's ranty and self-destructive behaviour, and then Sara Lynn comes in to really raise the roof.

It's three 20 minute episodes, not the world's biggest time commitment.

I'm not sure you quite get the depth of what the show would become in those episodes though. Early on it is kind of nihilistic feeling.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Ya I find it's the Dr.Hu episode that first starts revealing what the actual show is

They’re gonna pull a Dinner with Andre aren’t they

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Well

That happened

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Just finished season 5.
    I don't know if the Cordovia clock being off in minutes was a call-back, but it was a nice season long gag.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I've gotta say this season was a great Bojack take on #metoo, especially building up to the final episode.
    Gina's request, and Bojack's near-complete failure to understand it, was a devastating reminder that even when Bojack is trying to Do the Right Thing for others, unconsciously it's all about himself.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I've gotta say this season was a great Bojack take on #metoo, especially building up to the final episode.
    Gina's request, and Bojack's near-complete failure to understand it, was a devastating reminder that even when Bojack is trying to Do the Right Thing for others, unconsciously it's all about himself.
    He only really understands personal change in terms of self-destruction, so even when he honestly wants to change he only knows how to go about it by tearing himself down.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It feels weird not having an announcement for Season 6 yet. I have to wonder if Netflix decided to drop the series because of the Comedy Central deal.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Short of major behind the scenes issues I don't see that happening.I could see them wanting to go out on a high note or actors wanting to move on to other things but when that happens I think they'll wrap things up with an actual ending rather than just dropping it between seasons.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    It feels weird not having an announcement for Season 6 yet. I have to wonder if Netflix decided to drop the series because of the Comedy Central deal.

What's the Comedy Central deal?

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

What's the Comedy Central deal?

Comedy Central is showing Bojack.

If anything, that deal sounds like a sign of confidence all around.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    i can't wait to occasionally watch random episodes out of order and at inconvenient times

broken image link
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    episode 6
    I don't think I've ever openly weeped at a television show before.

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    episode 6

Yeah, I mean, who gave them permission to write the episode like that. I don't know that could have ever made it on broadcast television but I would really like to think that it would.

Because the world would have ended.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    episode 6

Yeah, I mean, who gave them permission to write the episode like that. I don't know that could have ever made it on broadcast television but I would really like to think that it would.

Because the world would have ended.

Now imagine it with commercial breaks for the next South Park and "Comedy Roast of [non-comic actor here]!"
    The attempted mood whiplash would throw me out of my chair.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    just finished S5

whole season spoilers
    I started a binge watch but stopped halfway through ep 7 (bobo the angsty zebra) for a while, then came back and powered through 8-12 in the last 2 days.

I feel like ep 11 this season was the least gutpunchy of all of the penultimate episodes. I wasn't particularly gutted or devastated the way I have been in the past. The strangulation was bad, but he was also in the midst of a drug addiction. I think intentionally pursuing sex with a minor daughter of an old flame is way way worse. Sara Lynn is way way worse. The opioid problem was heavily, heavily foreshadowed, and while I liked Gina a lot, the breakup of a relationship bojack has only been in for part of a season, one he isn't entirely sure he wants to be in, doesn't hit as hard for me as previous rifts between him and princess caroline, or todd, or herb, or mr peanutbutter, or diane etc.

That one gripe aside, this feels like a more consistent season than the others. The Todd zaniness is probably at its least grating, and I even got some huge laughs out of todd's sex robot and the clever #metoo angle tying it to the main plot.

And their statement episode: the eulogy in episode 6 was amazing.

Rehab is great, but I hope Bojack the show and Bojack the character don't settle into a rut of 2 steps forward 1 (or 2) steps back. Rehab fixes a problem bojack has had for a comparatively short time. Not sure it gets to the root of his issues, though obviously admitting he needs help is a huge step forward for him.

I really liked Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter's storylines this season. I liked Gina, I liked this season's take on brooding male antiheros and their connection to #metoo misogyny. The visual puns might have hit their height this year as well.

Overall good season, less depressing but more consistent than usual, eagerly awaiting a season 6.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The thing that really gets me about this show is that at the end of every season Bojack looks like he might be finally taking some steps to change. He wants to change. The people that care about him want him to change. We, as viewers, are hoping he'll change. And every season it looks like he's on the path towards progress.

But then he doesn't. He slips back into his old damaged ways. He pushes those people who care for him further and further away. Over. And over. Again.

And that is a far more uncomfortably realistic depiction of self destruction than a show about a horse has any right to portray.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    The thing that really gets me about this show is that at the end of every season Bojack looks like he might be finally taking some steps to change. He wants to change. The people that care about him want him to change. We, as viewers, are hoping he'll change. And every season it looks like he's on the path towards progress.

But then he doesn't. He slips back into his old damaged ways. He pushes those people who care for him further and further away. Over. And over. Again.

And that is a far more uncomfortably realistic depiction of self destruction than a show about a horse has any right to portray.

That he's still awful shouldn't be interpreted as he's not making change.
    The Bojack we see in Season 5 is far more capable of maintaining and developing normal relationships than in Season 1, for instance. Until addiction overtakes him he has a reasonably healthy and normal relationship with Gina and is unselfishly happy for her success. He's working on a relationship with his half-sister, stumbling though it may be.

He's also largely moved on from his parents, especially with his mother's death and the events of Season 4.
    S5 is notable in that his honestly sympathetic substance abuse drives a lot of his failures rather than his mental illness turning him to substance abuse. Bojack at is at least moving towards being ok until he hurts himself.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Finished S5. Man, everyone in this show is a huge piece of shit with the exception of Todd. I hope they bring back his sex robot and it gets appointed to the supreme court. That won't be remotely topical by the time S6 rolls around but it was in the back of my mind the whole time watching sex robot antics this season.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    For some reason the sex robot worked for me more then any other Todd shenanigans have in the past.

Maybe because he was aware of how awful it was more then those around him? I don't know.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Finished S5. Man, everyone in this show is a huge piece of shit with the exception of Todd. I hope they bring back his sex robot and it gets appointed to the supreme court. That won't be remotely topical by the time S6 rolls around but it was in the back of my mind the whole time watching sex robot antics this season.

That might be overly optimistic.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Burnage wrote: »

That he's still awful shouldn't be interpreted as he's not making change.
    The Bojack we see in Season 5 is far more capable of maintaining and developing normal relationships than in Season 1, for instance. Until addiction overtakes him he has a reasonably healthy and normal relationship with Gina and is unselfishly happy for her success. He's working on a relationship with his half-sister, stumbling though it may be.

He's also largely moved on from his parents, especially with his mother's death and the events of Season 4.
    S5 is notable in that his honestly sympathetic substance abuse drives a lot of his failures rather than his mental illness turning him to substance abuse. Bojack at is at least moving towards being ok until he hurts himself.
    This is why it feels weird to me that the creators of the show were afraid that people might be too sympathetic towards BoJack or identify with him too much. They said that in interviews and alluded to it in the show, but BoJack's downfall in this season wasn't even really his fault. Princess Caroline had him put on painkillers and Diane made him paranoid by broaching a sensitive topic in the shittiest way possible.

The guy needs someone who cares about him consistently, but the only person like that is Hollyhock and BoJack doesn't want to get her involved and screw up her life. Everyone else is either too busy with their own lives to help or isn't inclined to.

I do wonder a bit why BoJack was so resistant to therapy.

Hexmage-PA on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Therapy can be incredibly uncomfortable because you are basically prodding old wounds all the time, and that's without getting into the stigma mental health has.