As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EUIV] Reducing the Reduced reduction in cost of reducing war exhaustion for some NI's

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    If they don't attack you for the provinces, that means your alliance network is too strong for them to take on.

They might attack you in a situation where your AI allies might dishonor the call (this unfortunately now happens rather frequently). If you're willing to give the provinces away in a peace deal, this is generally no problem (you can also offer peace deals). Otherwise you can try taking them on, just try to prevent them from landing in Britain.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So this is probably a silly question, but what is the best way to get rid of the extraneous french provinces as England? I chose the surrender in the first hyw event, but it only gave the french maine, and they don’t seem really to care that much about trying to war me for the rest.

You can also refuse in that Surrender of Maine event, which starts a war that you can immediately surrender giving up the French Provinces (minus Calais for the reason already mentioned)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So this is probably a silly question, but what is the best way to get rid of the extraneous french provinces as England? I chose the surrender in the first hyw event, but it only gave the french maine, and they don’t seem really to care that much about trying to war me for the rest.

You can also refuse in that Surrender of Maine event, which starts a war that you can immediately surrender giving up the French Provinces (minus Calais for the reason already mentioned)

Since the Blue Blob can be a thing, I usually like to sell them on the cheap to Austria or Castille if I'm playing a colonist England. That helps to slow down the inevitable French continental domination.

• Options
    With furnaces, my income sits now at around 1500 ducats per month

My CNs are additionally all at 0 Liberty Desire

15Nq1Yg.jpg

• Options
    crgnpAr.jpg

A couple other achievements before Dharma

Hessian mercenaries
    KZIPdXV.jpg

Sun Invasion
    CGJaLAf.jpg

Good King René
    hWZ2yrK.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Massena wrote: »

Since the Blue Blob can be a thing, I usually like to sell them on the cheap to Austria or Castille if I'm playing a colonist England. That helps to slow down the inevitable French continental domination.

I usually just ignore the mainland and sink the troop-filled ships that try to invade England proper with until Burgandy et al jump on them. Though they are usually able to eck out a win or white peace at the end, the lost of manpower and debt from the two or three-day war they just fought usually keeps them from blobing until Catille/Spain and/or Austria can pose a legitimate threat.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Purbia Rajput regiments have +10% Discipline, +10% Fire Damage and a drill modifier on top of that, that power creep is insane (at least they consume manpower when they reinforce)

Also a warning, the Mughals lost their Religious Unity bonus and the +3 Tolerance of Heathens was moved to the Indian Sultanate government - which you lose if you switch away from a Muslim religion

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Wow, had ai Norway convert to orthodox somehow, sweden took them over and converted the provinces to reformed but orthodox Norway lives on as a colonial exilarchy based in iceland with colonies in the Virginia area.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    The rage over the missionary/state changes on the official forums are both highly amusing and somewhat disturbing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I've never played any serious India campaigns before, or heck anything east of the Ottomans, really, and this DLC is the perfect time to start.

I started out with an (admittedly easy) game of Timurids, and boy the steamrolling is real. Get back your cores, integrate all your vassals, use your mission tree to get exactly what you need to form Mughals, and go from there.

I think my next game is going to be Mewar, or one of those other mid-size Indian countries.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    The rage over the missionary/state changes on the official forums are both highly amusing and somewhat disturbing.

Fans of Paradox games are some of the worst people. One day they'll complain that something isn't historically accurate enough then the next day decry something for being too historically accurate. If you didn't know any better it would appear that every single person has a PhD in *country/region* history specifically from 1444 to 1821.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Corruption was a shitty mechanic from the start which already drove people away from the game in its first iteration

World conquest hasn't really become more difficult, you're now just even more locked into picking Humanist and conquering ridiculously overpowered trade company land

Platy on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

What's a paraphrase of the changes?

• Options
    You can no longer send missionaries to territories - territories which aren't part of a trade company will however still impact Religious Unity

You can only have as many territories as you can have states, otherwise each extra territory is going to add to your yearly Corruption - the slider only allows you to root out 1 Corruption per year however, so there are going to be situations where there is going to be an inevitable buildup

Trade company territories are of course exempt from that rule

So, in short, always conquer trade company land

• Options
    Humanist Ideas weren't changed, so it's really only Religious which was nerfed

Humanist was never dependent on missionaries, this leaves Religious in a very bad spot and also screws with religions like Orthodox where the bonuses from Patriarch Authority only apply in converted provinces (compare for example with Legalism which is global)

The worst thing is really that they did nothing about the need for Asian countries to move their capital to Africa or Oceania so they can benefit from trade companies

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    Humanist Ideas weren't changed, so it's really only Religious which was nerfed

Humanist was never dependent on missionaries, this leaves Religious in a very bad spot and also screws with religions like Orthodox where the bonuses from Patriarch Authority only apply in converted provinces (compare for example with Legalism which is global)

The worst thing is really that they did nothing about the need for Asian countries to move their capital to Africa or Oceania so they can benefit from trade companies

Yeah, I was half-expecting for a change in the finisher or a Religious policy that would get around that, but nope, any reason to pick Religious over Humanist outside of conversion-based achievements pretty much no longer exists.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Making your first game of Dharma a conversion where CK2 got massively out of hand is... exciting. Start the game with +.80 corruption/year with no real way to stop it except spending a ton of ducats. Hm. I think I have things stabilized if I don't fund my army. Also the Renaissance spawned in Chengdu so I had to trigger one of those myself. Maybe at some point I can actually start conquering my way to unite my lands! I won a crusade for Greece and made that my heir's traditional holdings and they basically took Anatolia, then one of them married the queen of Nubia...

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I've got a vassal I'm going to integrate in a few years. They're muslim, I'm catholic. Is it a good idea to enforce religion, knowing that will bump their liberty desire up over 100%?

When your vassal doesn't get rebellious, enforcing religion makes them send their missionary around, but maybe if they're rebellious they won't? Will they go rebellious if their opinion of me is +250? Will being rebellious stop me integrating them?

It's times like these I hate playing with Ironman mode, and I hate that achievements require Ironman.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    If you hover your mouse over the liberty desire in the vassal tab view, you can see what the current modifiers to desire are, so if it's at 0% you can see if it's actually at -15% or something.

That said, I think that enforcing heathen religions (e.g., catholic->sunni) is always a +100% liberty desire bump, no matter what. Opinion doesn't have much say in that +100% bump, it just means you may end up with +95% liberty desire instead of more.

If liberty desire is over 50%, integration halts.

Edit: Even if rebellious, they'll still convert their provinces. I've used this trick before on some of the Berber nations. Get one as a vassal, force conversion, knowing that it's going to be decades before I can integrate, but let them take care of converting all those sunni lands. Bonus if you find a vassal that already took religious.

Syphyre on
  • Options
    The problem with a disloyal vassal is that they'll get support from your rivals and they'll form alliances with your other vassals, thus making everyone under you disloyal

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm glad I snuck in Byzantine One Faith before the patch.

• Options
    NdEMptj.jpg

This took some careful maneuvering and engineering!

Too bad you can't have Manchu Banners at the same time

• Options
    Turns out the Shogun can't move capital and thus I can't have trade companies in Asia. I could put vassals everywhere but I wouldn't be able to get the trade money without merchants.I think this might be the point where I feel actual frustration at the game's design direction.

• Options
    Platy wrote: »
    Turns out the Shogun can't move capital and thus I can't have trade companies in Asia. I could put vassals everywhere but I wouldn't be able to get the trade money without merchants.I think this might be the point where I feel actual frustration at the game's design direction.

Yeah, they needed to add upstream bonuses for controlling trade nodes about 4 DLCs ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So my first real game of EU4 just ended with a coalition against me as Milan only just shy of forming Italy. I just had to wait for the core timer on Rome... oh well. RIP Milanese Republic, 1444-1556.

So what should I look into doing next? I have everything except Dharma

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I recently played as England and had a good time. Colonised the new world, integrated france, conquered spain and portugal, became HRE, conquered Scandinavia, conquered most of Africa and a bite of India... but I think if I play England again I'd rather have France, Spain, and Portugal as vassals. Is something like that feasible? I guess what I'd like is to hold the British isles and no other provinces, while still bringing the world's wealth back to London. But if I do that I'll have about 20 vassals, meaning no diplo mana and high liberty desire, so I'm not sure I can.

I would like if trade companies worked a bit more like colonial nations, a bit more independent but still not taking a relations slot. Incidentally, relation slots bug me; I can have an alliance and royal marriage with austria, give them permission to move through my land and get permission to move through theirs, or I can get permission to move my troops through this OPM, and they both take one slot?

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    So my first real game of EU4 just ended with a coalition against me as Milan only just shy of forming Italy. I just had to wait for the core timer on Rome... oh well. RIP Milanese Republic, 1444-1556.

If you have rights of man, Great Britain is fun with the mission tree.

• Options
    I recently played as England and had a good time. Colonised the new world, integrated france, conquered spain and portugal, became HRE, conquered Scandinavia, conquered most of Africa and a bite of India... but I think if I play England again I'd rather have France, Spain, and Portugal as vassals. Is something like that feasible? I guess what I'd like is to hold the British isles and no other provinces, while still bringing the world's wealth back to London. But if I do that I'll have about 20 vassals, meaning no diplo mana and high liberty desire, so I'm not sure I can.

I would like if trade companies worked a bit more like colonial nations, a bit more independent but still not taking a relations slot. Incidentally, relation slots bug me; I can have an alliance and royal marriage with austria, give them permission to move through my land and get permission to move through theirs, or I can get permission to move my troops through this OPM, and they both take one slot?

I decided not to wait for an answer, grabbed the Rule Britannia DLC and started it up. Oh look, the missions require directly controlling most of France, and Gibraltar. So I guess I'm going to try for a tall England that also owns all of France, and briefly owns Gibraltar before giving it back to its spanish subject?

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular

I think that would be pretty trick to achieve due to the liberty desire. Would breaking the nations up help with the liberty desire?

• Options

I think that would be pretty trick to achieve due to the liberty desire. Would breaking the nations up help with the liberty desire?

With vassals, liberty desire combines. That's why having too many vassals are harmful. The reason why everyone loves PUs is because the liberty desire of a PU partner is only based on their power, not the combination of everyone's power.

You don't get income from PUs but you still get all the other benefits.

• Options
    Syphyre wrote: »

There are a couple bugs related to England/GB events atm. No event to get Henry Tudor after the War of the Roses, can't ever get out of English Monarchy without switching government type in Dharma, only can by going Parliamentarians without ('cause going Royalists in English Civil War no longer switches you to despotic monarchy or reform, and switching back to kingdom after Cromwell dies sends you right back to English Monarchy in Dharma)

Personally waiting for the next update before doing another England run, after doing somewhere in Poland since that's what the mini-update is going to be focused on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I don't play all that much EU4 anymore (the occasional binge now and again) but I think I'd prefer a focus on Italy and the HRE first. As they're not adding any new mechanics I think the HRE is rather poorly covered for flavour considering its importance in European history.

• Options
    edited September 2018

There are a couple bugs related to England/GB events atm. No event to get Henry Tudor after the War of the Roses, can't ever get out of English Monarchy without switching government type in Dharma, only can by going Parliamentarians without ('cause going Royalists in English Civil War no longer switches you to despotic monarchy or reform, and switching back to kingdom after Cromwell dies sends you right back to English Monarchy in Dharma)

Personally waiting for the next update before doing another England run, after doing somewhere in Poland since that's what the mini-update is going to be focused on

Are these bugs when that showed up in the 1.26 patch and Dharma expansion? Because that was all working in 1.25.1. I'm glad I knew this because I was going to try a Great Britain game soon. At this point I will wait until the next patch is out.

there is a lot of good that came along with 1.26 but boy there is a pile of bugs that need to be worked on

Syphyre on
  • Options
    I don't play all that much EU4 anymore (the occasional binge now and again) but I think I'd prefer a focus on Italy and the HRE first. As they're not adding any new mechanics I think the HRE is rather poorly covered for flavour considering its importance in European history.

I actually think they're might be some rage over doing a mini-update on the HRE.

Mainly because most people seem to want DLC for it. Not even an "Immersion Pack" like Third Rome or Rule Britannia that might be focused on it, but a Dharma or CoC-sized update.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    II guess what I'd like is to hold the British isles and no other provinces, while still bringing the world's wealth back to London. But if I do that I'll have about 20 vassals, meaning no diplo mana and high liberty desire, so I'm not sure I can.

If you want to do something ahistorical but really fun you could try taking over the Shogunate - but you'd need to find a way out of English monarchy first

Alternatively, look up atwix's Personal Union guide on the forums and try to get as many PUs as you can, then feed them the land you want to control on the continent - the English mission tree can give you France for a start

If it's just the world's wealth you want and you're okay with having colonies, you can easily get 2000+ ducats income from setting up a colonial empire and raising tariffs, look at my tall Japan game

Platy on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I just managed to get a personal union over Aragon and Castile as Portugal and I have no idea what to do with that now. How do these things work?

Help?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Keep your relations up with them, if your relations drop below 0 and your monarch dies, the Personal Union will be dissolved

PUs mostly work like vassals, except they're more loyal due to calculating their individual strength against you (I'm not soure how that works with two PU subjects who ally each other though)

If you have the needed DLCs, the easiest way to keep a subject loyal is to develop their provinces - with PUs there is an interaction in the vassal tab called "Support Loyalists" which will decrease their Liberty Desire for money

PUs are special in that you can "inherit" them with high enough Diplomatic Reputation, that means they will be instantly integrated. The chance is a random percentage and higher for smaller countries. Generally you can keep a large PU around until the very late game, although I would maybe integrate a PU like Castile earlier so I can get direct control over their colonial empire upon integration.

Platy on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    A funny thing which happens right now is that a lot of European countries who never picked Exploration or Expansion will charter trade companies in India and then declare wars without being able to ferry or walk troops to India

Platy on
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Is there any way to cheat in EU4 without disabling achievements? This bug is really annoying me, it'd be great if I could open the console and change government types or something.

Edit: googling has got me the console, but no way to use the console to change government. I can also edit my save file, but can't then load it in ironman. Reading the save file and the disaster_eng_civil_war.txt event file is giving me an idea on why the event is broken, but unfortunately that doesn't help me fix it.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    You can mod the files directly by mirroring them in a mod folder, but this will disable achievements

You can use the console to change government, but you will have to trigger an event which changes your government form