As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tales of] Your Mom - Best Dog Is Back

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Berseria was so thoroughly enjoyable to me. Like, it's gotta be one of my favorite JRPGs ever. How does Vesperia compare? I thought Berseria's story was really good, and the combat was phenomenal. I also loved pretty much every character in the game. The playable characters anyway.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Vesperia is much happier in tone. The story is standard fare instead of Berseria's "all terrible people", though Yuri is more mature than other Tales protags at least.

Vesperia has a dog as a party member. He is a good boy.

Combat system is a bit simpler. Less per-character nuances. Runs on TP instead of the CC style system used in Berseria. You don't have to bother with enemy types and crap, just elemental weaknesses (AI is good about this) and a direction (use lots of one direction arrow to set up a breaking hit, fairly simple and happens without trying anyways).

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    One of the biggest differences is the world design. It's hard to describe, but Xillia and onward have simple, relatively flat environments, with flat graphics as well. As gorgeous as the character models are, the actual world feels like it was made on a budget.

Vesperia and its contemporaries have more elaborate, "hand-crafted" environments, with visuals reminiscent of a painting.

Arteen wrote: »
    One of the biggest differences is the world design. It's hard to describe, but Xillia and onward have simple, relatively flat environments, with flat graphics as well. As gorgeous as the character models are, the actual world feels like it was made on a budget.

Vesperia and its contemporaries have more elaborate, "hand-crafted" environments, with visuals reminiscent of a painting.

It's because of the shift away from an overworld and then dungeons/towns as separate maps.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So I just beat Berseria yesterday. My first tales game since Symphonia, which I barely remember, other than knowing I was real tired of it by the end.

Played it due to all the good word of mouth I was seeing it get on these boards. There's nothing I can really add about the characters or story, everyone knows they're good, so I'm just going to fanboy over Eizen for a bit.

Eizen feels like someone on the Tales staff had an OC in their back pocket for like 10 years, just waiting until they could get high enough in the ranks to get him in a game.

He is a punch wizard pirate with a dragon install. He lives for centuries and travels the world just learning, so he's smart as hell. He is cursed with bad luck so he can be an edgelord all the time and call himself THE REAPER.

Did I mention he is a punch wizard? Because I found him the most fun character in the game to play as because of it. Just fists and magic flying everywhere. His break souls were the most fun in the game to me. Dude dragon installs and shoots fireballs in the air then swoops around. And then you get his last break soul in the last dungeon (why are they in the last dungeon?) and it's a freaking angry anime explosion which was RIGHT UP MY ALLEY.

And then to top it all off he also has my favorite mystic artes in the game. Also the best named. PERFECT MAYHEM? HOWLING DRAGON? Hype every single time. Don't even get me started on the last one. I literally punched 3 bosses into space.

So yeah, Eizen is the best. And the combat in this game actually surprised the hell out of me with how much I enjoyed it, I actually found myself switching characters a bunch and finding them all fun. Except the spellcasters.

In conclusion, I bought the Tales of Xillia 2 pack because I saw that the first game has a punch boy in it. And because I see people being down on Zestiria a lot.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    DeMoN wrote: »
    So I just beat Berseria yesterday. My first tales game since Symphonia, which I barely remember, other than knowing I was real tired of it by the end.

Played it due to all the good word of mouth I was seeing it get on these boards. There's nothing I can really add about the characters or story, everyone knows they're good, so I'm just going to fanboy over Eizen for a bit.

Eizen feels like someone on the Tales staff had an OC in their back pocket for like 10 years, just waiting until they could get high enough in the ranks to get him in a game.

He is a punch wizard pirate with a dragon install. He lives for centuries and travels the world just learning, so he's smart as hell. He is cursed with bad luck so he can be an edgelord all the time and call himself THE REAPER.

Did I mention he is a punch wizard? Because I found him the most fun character in the game to play as because of it. Just fists and magic flying everywhere. His break souls were the most fun in the game to me. Dude dragon installs and shoots fireballs in the air then swoops around. And then you get his last break soul in the last dungeon (why are they in the last dungeon?) and it's a freaking angry anime explosion which was RIGHT UP MY ALLEY.

And then to top it all off he also has my favorite mystic artes in the game. Also the best named. PERFECT MAYHEM? HOWLING DRAGON? Hype every single time. Don't even get me started on the last one. I literally punched 3 bosses into space.

So yeah, Eizen is the best. And the combat in this game actually surprised the hell out of me with how much I enjoyed it, I actually found myself switching characters a bunch and finding them all fun. Except the spellcasters.

In conclusion, I bought the Tales of Xillia 2 pack because I saw that the first game has a punch boy in it. And because I see people being down on Zestiria a lot.

I liked Xillia and Zestria just fine. Just as a heads up, Zesteria is actually in the same world and time-line as Berseria but is something like 1000 or 10,000 in the future relative. You actually get Edna and Zaevid as characters and find out what happens to both Eizen and Laphicet, although they aren't focal points of the gameplay story.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That said if you played Berseria first then Zestiria is completely unnecessary, because Berseria makes Zestiria better retroactively but I don't think it works as well if you're coming from Berseria into Zestiria and Mr. Goody Two Shoes Protagonist.

Oh man, Zaveid's a party member? Now I'm kind of interested.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

Punch boy Jude's personality is pretty much the opposite of Eizen's, though they're both smart. Jude is an absolute sweetheart.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    I can't recommend Zesteria, but I imagine it's more enjoyable if played after Berseria.

I found Zesteria to be a bland and unmemorable experience, so I had forgotten most of the lore by the time I got to Berseria. Knowing how Berseria plays out would add some much needed depth to Zesteria's straightforward story.

Xillia and Xillia 2 are aces.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

Don't be. Zestiria is baaaaaaaaad. Playable, but not good.

Frozenzen wrote: »

Don't be. Zestiria is baaaaaaaaad. Playable, but not good.

I don't think it's any worse than the rest of the games.

steam_sig.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I don't disagree that Eizen is awesome, but any statement about Berseria's characters that isn't "Magilou is the best" makes me go hmmm :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Don't worry, she's a solid number 2.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I really like the Xillia games. They were the best post-Vesperia ones until Berseria came along IMO.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    If I had to rank Tales games of the ones I played...its like.

Faves: Eternia, Vesperia, Xillia series, Beseria

Good: Abyss

Decent: Graces f(I would actually put this in the good category but Asbel gave me a headache), Symphonia, Legendia, Phantasia.

Meh: Zestiria, Symphonia 2

Dragkonias on
    The Graces F postgame is nice. The best part is the character cloning that lets you run a party of 4x Pascal and it needs to come back.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    In Vesperia's favor it does have Yuri, Da Best Protag.

The game itself is certainly up there as one of my favorite in the series.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Axen wrote: »
    In Vesperia's favor it does have Yuri, Da Best Protag.

The game itself is certainly up there as one of my favorite in the series.

Before Berseria I'd be inclined to agree, but Velvet is at a minimum right behind him.

I'll see how I feel after getting the rerelease for my Switch though, because Judith is delightful to play (death from above!).

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I'll dreading having to unlock all those outfits in Vesperia again...some were a pain. Especially Yuri's True Knight one.

Dragkonias on
    I really need to go back to Berseria.

I didn't really care too much for Zestiria and when I played Berseria it felt like more of the same. However I only put in maybe 10 hours in to Berseria before I stopped, which for a Tales game is practically still the tutorial.

Since I'm seeing a fair bit of praise for Beseria and dislike for Zestiria here, often from the same people no less, I suppose I will give it another whirl.

Beseria fixed a lot of the problems I had with Zesteria(bad camera, uneven difficulty, suicidal AI) so I had a much more enjoyable time with it.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Symphonia is like $5 on steam? And Berseria is also on sale. If you haven't played them and are reading this thread debating about it, Symphonia in particular is a steal for $5. It shows its age a little bit, but...$5.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I picked up berseria and i'm a few hours in, my last tales game was vesperia. The gameplay here is definitely a bit improved but the story/characters just aren't grabbing me nearly as much as vesperia did. Hopefully it picks up =/

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    I'm glad Vesperia is getting a re-rez or remake or whatever because I never got a chance to play it.

steam_sig.png
    McMoogle wrote: »
    I'm glad Vesperia is getting a re-rez or remake or whatever because I never got a chance to play it.

Including the extra content from JP is the big draw for me, even if I know I'm just going to use Judith's one spear bomb over and over on everything.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    So the next Tales of game has been announced... for iOS and Android. Tales of Crestoria.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/11/tales-of-crestoria-announced-for-smartphones/

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I wouldn't mind mobile games so much if they weren't so grind/microtransaction heavy and if they picked control schemes that were suited to the control inputs available. I've had some great mobile games experiences with stuff like Ghost Trick and Monument Valley. I have little faith that this game will avoid either one...but we'll see, I guess!

The posters look cool. Riffing a bit off of Persona 5? But if more games had half the style Persona 5 has, we'd live in a better world.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I expected an update to the OP for Velvet.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I expected an update to the OP for Velvet.

Something like, "Velvet wouldn't as she is only interested in shotas"

Yuck.

Not sure how much addition dialogue they added(would think quite a bit since there are two new party members) but this seems annoying.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    Not sure how much addition dialogue they added(would think quite a bit since there are two new party members) but this seems annoying.

Part of me thinks that maybe they went with discount soundalike Matthew Mercer since Troy is much more popular and probably expensive than he was when ToV originally was released. Wouldn’t be the first time.

If there is new dialogue of course.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Part of me thinks that maybe they went with discount soundalike Matthew Mercer since Troy is much more popular and probably expensive than he was when ToV originally was released. Wouldn’t be the first time.

There is at least the Patty stuff that was added to the JP-only PS3 version that needed new voice lines during localization. Totally sucks they didn't get Troy Baker back to reprise his role. I hope it won't make the Patty scones too jarring with English voices.

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
    That certainly dampens my excitement.

edited September 2018
    skeldare wrote: »

Yeah, it sounds like Mercer. Similar, but just slightly higher-pitched. I like him, but it sucks that they didn't even contact Troy's people to see if they could cut a deal.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Troy's popularity has exploded since Vesperia first came out, I never for a second thought he was coming back. I figured either the new stuff wouldn't have recorded dialogue for it, or they'd be doing something like this. I'm only surprised they didn't even bother to reach out to him to get a price tag on it, but I don't know how that works and it could have feasibly all gone to and stopped with an agent.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I like Hearts R too

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    7 minutes of new Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncGvWRUH91g

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I am so excited to get to play through Vesperia again. Back in the day, I didn't have my own box 360 and borrowed my brother's, meaning I had to speed through it pretty quick to get through it. But its a game that, like Symphonia, I would love to pore through a few times.