As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Attention to Orders: Penny Arcade's [Military Thread] is Open!!!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    You'd still have to take the DLAB but interpreter is definitely your best bet as far as enlisted if officer doesn't work out. Unless you have a big interest in coding or something.

I enjoyed the coding classes I took in highschool and coded up a tiny videogame for fun a couple years back, so my interest in coding is definitely non-zero.

Then it's a bit of a toss up. Various cyber operations are an option and CTIs can absolutely go that route but it's not a guarantee. I won't be coding (thank god) but I'm expected to knock out some certifications in the near future despite specifically trying to avoid anything with computers. I don't know anyone that's had trouble getting in to cyber.

For CTNs breaking other people's computers are their bread and butter. For some it means coding and for others it means training on advanced software.

Both of those with the caveat that there's always exceptions.

Quid on
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Of the two I might recommend CTN in this case. Shorter training cycle, better pass rate, and you already have some computer background.

Far be it from me to disparage linguists, but the language training is long and difficult. Even if you make it to the end you may not pass the test, and by that point it is usually to late to start another complicated training program. I know all too many people who are being...underutilized.

I don't want to scare you off but I also wish someone had told me this stuff. I got out of DLI feeling like I had just dodged a gigantic bullet. If you've already got some computer aptitude, the CTN rate is well worth considering.

Both are good jobs but Dip's right. CTI A-school is brutal. Depending on language it has one of the highest washout rates and while it's likely, there's no promise you'll get a different CT rating.

I can't speak for CTN A-school but I know it's rough. They've got a decent washout rate but it's gone down since they've stopped grabbing anyone with a pulse.

• mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    God, I wish I would’ve gone CT. You get the best parts of a deployment cycle (the missions) and mostly none of the nonsense that goes into being stationed on a ship or boat

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
    Unless you’re a CTN.

Then just don’t deploy at all problem solved.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The recruiter did mention something about like, being a CTI on a sub? Not sure if that sounds neat or awful to be honest.

We can go on subs but we’re not actual submariners. If you were put in a sub billet you’d work in an office and go out on a sub for missions.

Mosssnack mentions it above, you skip past all the boring work ups, drills, and training and go straight in to doing your actual job. Once the mission is over you get off, fly home, and the rest of the crew keeps doing sub stuff without you.

I’ve done it before and it’s boring af to be honest. Linguists are pretty much useless on a boat 99% of the time.

edited August 2018
    "Oh we don't care at all if you don't shave while you work here."

Quid on
    Watch the Navy decriminalize beards just because they find your revelry unseemly.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm being held back from going to a PME l wanted. While its not entirely because of this, they said my OPRs imply I suck. I thought I was improving.

I'm going to see my physician to see if there's a way to improve my energy levels. I thought the thyroid treatment was the transformation I needed (I lost 12 lbs and my energy skyrocketed) but I think I'm still coming off as a weirdo. No pill can change that.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    I have been incredibly lucky thus far in my career.

Unfortunately today one of my guys got a DUI.

Dammit.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Dammit.

The expectations that supervisors are babysitters is a burden I will never understand.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Navy Recruiter mentioned something like, because I am interested in enlisting if I don't become an officer, I should consider enlisting while my officer stuff is pending, that way I am in the system, and if the officer stuff goes through then poof, I will hop out of being enlisted and be an officer.

But this smelled of shenanigans to me.

• mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Nope nope nope

If you’re gonna enlist, wait until all the doors to officer country are closed. First of all, that sounds like total bullshit to me. I’ve never been a recruiter, but I’ve never heard of any policies/programs like that.

There’s no hurry to enlist. When you end up making that choice, any navy recruiter would be more than happy to take you and your asvab to meps for processing

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Navy Recruiter mentioned something like, because I am interested in enlisting if I don't become an officer, I should consider enlisting while my officer stuff is pending, that way I am in the system, and if the officer stuff goes through then poof, I will hop out of being enlisted and be an officer.

But this smelled of shenanigans to me.

That's a line recruiters tell you to fill their quota. Don't buy it.

Cantido wrote: »

Dammit.

The expectations that supervisors are babysitters is a burden I will never understand.

Thankfully my immediate boss has his head on straight and isn't holding me or his supervisor responsible.The dude was 150 miles away, didn't call anyone because it was the day after a night out and he thought he was good. Unfortunately the legal limit here is 0, so anything constitutes a DUI.

Investigation is pending, but yeah, bad day for that guy.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Dammit.

Thankfully my immediate boss has his head on straight and isn't holding me or his supervisor responsible.The dude was 150 miles away, didn't call anyone because it was the day after a night out and he thought he was good. Unfortunately the legal limit here is 0, so anything constitutes a DUI.

Investigation is pending, but yeah, bad day for that guy.

Yeah thats what they always say until you end up with a mandatory 4am on a saturday smoke session followed by a 3 hour briefing about not being a moron, that will end with an impromptu sensing session where command will insist they dont do collective punishment for individual mistakes.

• BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Have been super busy so haven't posted on the forums in a while, but I finally made the SFC list (3rd look). Sucks being in a small and competitive MOS sometimes, but the variety of jobs makes it worthwhile.

Have a super low sequence number so should get pinned Oct/Nov 1st.

Now to finish the MEB stuff so I can be retired at 15 years...... fucking Army I tell you what.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
    Was all signed up for the OAR, showed up, but their computers were down. Rescheduled for a later date that week, but the computers were STILL down. Put on indefinite wait but I sent a follow up email this week and got scheduled for an exam maybe for realsies next week. More time to study at least.

Had a thought today though:

Obviously if I go career going in as an officer makes the most sense by far. But, having a non-technical degree if I go in as a Navy officer I'm pretty much looking at just logistics of Surface Warfare. Now, if my plan is to just go in for minimum duration and then transfer to a civilian career, I wonder how well those transfer as opposed to something like a CTN where I could get into networking/IT for a company.

Thoughts? I have a feeling I am just getting impatient about the test + 8 month officer waiting time thing and just want to get going now, but figured I'd bounce it off of y'all first.

Logistics transfers very well. I know a lot of folks who get out and go work for UPS/FEDEX/Amazon and all kinds of places.

Surface warfare, I imagine, somewhat less transferable.

Bloodycow wrote: »
    Have been super busy so haven't posted on the forums in a while, but I finally made the SFC list (3rd look). Sucks being in a small and competitive MOS sometimes, but the variety of jobs makes it worthwhile.

Now to finish the MEB stuff so I can be retired at 15 years...... fucking Army I tell you what.

What what! Congrats!

Logistics transfers very well. I know a lot of folks who get out and go work for UPS/FEDEX/Amazon and all kinds of places.

Surface warfare, I imagine, somewhat less transferable.

Looking at logistics manager jobs, the pay seems decent (maybe I should be looking at something else?) but it definitely seems less than what I could make if I do something like 3d1x2 or 1b4x1 for the air force.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Both those are enlisted fields. Also what you do while you're in matters some but you can pivot to something else if you pursue it enough. I did satcom/rf stuff and now do cyber security stuff. Not a big shift, but it's certainly possible to make larger shifts. But also if a com job interests you then maybe get some certs to shore up the lack of technical degree. Or talk to a recruiter. Might not be a hard and fast requirement.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
    Worth noting that logistics and surface warfare officers, and officers in general, have a bit more latitude in negotiating their billets if they have demonstrable skill in a particular field. I’ve had more than a few JOs I worked under transition to intel after their first tours because they proved capable during missions. Another knocked out a bunch of certs which convinced the Navy to move him over to a better suited billet.

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I did buy into the line from the recruiter about enlisting first. Ultimately, it worked out in my favor. I benefited from the experience and became an officer a few years later.

I don't know how it works in the Navy, but Army side if you are joining 'as an officer', you are really just enlisting as a 09S. You go to basic and then go to OCS. If you don't make the cut, they find something else for you to do.

I know it works a bit different between branches and even more different if you count ROTC. We had a few OCS washouts in AIT when I was there. And those who washed out of my OCS class either were ultimately separated (for medical?) or chose a MOS.

furbat on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Bloodycow wrote: »

We're twins. I made Captain with a double digit sequence number. Gonna be pinning 1 October and simultaneously PCSing from JBLM at the same time.

furbat wrote: »
    I did buy into the line from the recruiter about enlisting first. Ultimately, it worked out in my favor. I benefited from the experience and became an officer a few years later.

I don't know how it works in the Navy, but Army side if you are joining 'as an officer', you are really just enlisting as a 09S. You go to basic and then go to OCS. If you don't make the cut, they find something else for you to do.

I know it works a bit different between branches and even more different if you count ROTC. We had a few OCS washouts in AIT when I was there. And those who washed out of my OCS class either were ultimately separated (for medical?) or chose a MOS.

ROTC (for the Air Force anyway) works the same way.

When I went through, you could do the first two years without contacting, but day 1 of junior year you had to sign.

Unless you had a scholarship, you had to sign to receive a scholarship.

It didn't happen to anyone I know personally, but I have met a few people who failed out of college and were forced to enlist to serve out their commitment throughtout my time.

Took the OAR this morning, was very nervous during the whole test, lots of trick questions, multi step stuff and real vague answers.

Got a 75 and was like “Dang, a C” and then the proctor came over and was like congratulations it’s out of 80 and this this is the highest test score I’ve ever seen.

So that bodes well!

Congratulations on the high score!

My sympathies as you spend the next several years working with people who scored much, much lower.

Thanks!

So the recruiter got back to me, and informed me it’s time to get alllll the medical records ever related to my ankle, so lots of visits in my future.

Also: due to my age apparently the intelligence community is the only officer field I qualify for in a non-reservist capacity. So, looking into that now. I’m trying to get a sober assessment from my recruiter of what my odds of getting into this community is, I was hoping to be able to apply to multiple ones at once to essentially up my odds of getting accepted.

edited September 2018
    FWIW getting in to intel as an officer is one of the the most lucrative options post military and will potentially give you the chance to work on certs and coding.

Quid on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Orders got published. Was a Captain since 02 September.

Hmm. At least I get back pay. /shrug

• furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Sigh... still waiting on a seat for flight school. My whole life is on hold until I get a date. Forecast is likely within the next 6 months. I found out I branched aviation over two years ago at this point.

furbat on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Orders got published. Was a Captain since 02 September.

Hmm. At least I get back pay. /shrug

You deserve it!

EH28YFo.jpg
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I wasn't sure where else to post this. It seems interesting; though it's mostly high-minded "maybe we'll do this" type of policy talk.

https://federalnewsradio.com/dod-personnel-notebook/2018/10/services-willing-to-bend-rigid-standards-to-grab-more-cyber-talent/
    ...if I want to have an offensive operator, I don’t necessarily need that guy to have a bachelor’s degree or that gal to have a bachelor’s degree or a degree at all” Barrett said. “I need them to think a certain way, think like an adversary, think sneaky, think devious, right? Maybe the best way is to bring the best gamers in. How do I get those guys in?”

Relaxed grooming standards and pot.

I'll accept direct deposit for my stellar consultation.

Air Force OCPs to be referred to as "Pumpkin Spices." Pass it on.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular

Canadian Armed Forces has done exactly this.

It has had a positive morale impact... I know what I'm doing when I get home from my sail.

Comahawk wrote: »

It has had a positive morale impact... I know what I'm doing when I get home from my sail.

Oh we're aware.

First Class mess over here is livid with this nonsense.

• ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Comahawk wrote: »

Oh we're aware.

First Class mess over here is livid with this nonsense.

I was honestly a little surprised with how reasonable it all was too. The rules for who can and can't use cannabis are pretty fair, and I suspect like most rules they will slacken a bit after a couple years once we re-evaluate and realise that some don't really make sense or are not really enforceable.

Then BeardFORGEN came out and everyone was happy as hell. Can't wait to grow a beard... Apparently they are also revamping the personal grooming standard too, potentially relaxing the restrictions on hair. It is going to be interesting to see how this all rolls out.