As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I used to use Yaourt when I used Arch, but I'm pretty sure it's not in active development any more.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Linux is indeed the way and the light.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I used to use Yaourt when I used Arch, but I'm pretty sure it's not in active development any more.

Nope. When I was looking at AUR tools in the last couple of weeks not only is it no longer being developed, it's moved from one of the best AUR tools to the worst. Funny how quickly something can be supplanted so quickly by other utilities that do the same thing.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Thinking about giving desktop Linux another shot now that Steam Play is making significant advances. Last time I used Steam on Fedora, a whole bunch of games assumed that they would be running on Ubuntu, and I had to install/symlink libraries and stuff to make them work. Is Ubuntu still the best Steam distro, or have developers gotten better about that sort of thing?

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

Nope. When I was looking at AUR tools in the last couple of weeks not only is it no longer being developed, it's moved from one of the best AUR tools to the worst. Funny how quickly something can be supplanted so quickly by other utilities that do the same thing.

(I'm being lazy...) What happened to it? Why'd it drop off so quickly in terms of being a good replacement/supplement for pacman?

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular

(I'm being lazy...) What happened to it? Why'd it drop off so quickly in terms of being a good replacement/supplement for pacman?

No idea, actually. It looks to me like a whole bunch of other AUR tools ended up being developed that are better for various reasons. IT'S IN THE ARCH WIKI. SEARCH THAT FIRST.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Frem wrote: »
    Thinking about giving desktop Linux another shot now that Steam Play is making significant advances. Last time I used Steam on Fedora, a whole bunch of games assumed that they would be running on Ubuntu, and I had to install/symlink libraries and stuff to make them work. Is Ubuntu still the best Steam distro, or have developers gotten better about that sort of thing?

Steam OS is based on Debian 8, so for the best experience you'll probably still want to use something from the Debian tree (Ubuntu/Mint/etc) and not the Red Hat (Fedora/CentOS) one. They have different philosophies about how things ought to be done and aren't always easy to reconcile.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    Frem wrote: »

Manjaro works fantastically as well.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    Pacman has suplanted apt for me.

I thought Pacman was okay, but I got a bit daunted by the AUR stuff.

Solus' eopkg is currently my favorite package manager.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I'm setting up a new PC and I find myself in the position of "I'm not paying $140 for a Windows 10 Home subscription." Debated for a few days between Mint Cinnamon and Manjaro, and I went with Mint since I'm very much a Linux noob and the reviews online are telling me Mint is ever-so-slightly more stable than Manjaro due to the different release models.

I'm not averse to command lines - hell, I started with MS-DOS - but I'm pretty terribad at learning new commands and syntax. I'm gonna be popping into this thread a lot in the near future - prepare to be annoyed.

• Options
    You'll find that wikis provide a lot of the commands you'll need and you can copy/paste them right into Terminal. And that'll only happen is you feel the need to muck about in term anyway. Generally you can do anything you really need to in the UI if you don't want to type.

Then again, if you didn't want to feel like a hacker in term, you wouldn't have joined us cool guys using Linux.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    r/linuxmint is usually pretty good if you want help with how to do/fix something.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I'm having a hell of a time installing Manjaro on my Lenovo laptop. The installation seems to run fine, but when the BIOS tries to boot from the internal hard drive it doesn't recognize it as a bootable volume. It skips it in the automatic boot process and goes right to PXE boot.

I've tried booting both in UEFI and legacy mode and neither seems to make a difference...

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I'm having a hell of a time installing Manjaro on my Lenovo laptop. The installation seems to run fine, but when the BIOS tries to boot from the internal hard drive it doesn't recognize it as a bootable volume. It skips it in the automatic boot process and goes right to PXE boot.

I've tried booting both in UEFI and legacy mode and neither seems to make a difference...

This is me half remembering something from like three years ago, but you might need to switch off the Quick Boot setting in your BIOS.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I would start turning off the different extra boot stuff one item at a time until you figure out which one eis breaking it.

Secure boot is a possibility also.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    I'd turn them all off and reinstall. Fast boot in particular. Having them on can stop the uefi boot loader installing. You can turn them back on once it's working. Loading some drivers with secure boot on might require enroling keys and such but Mint at least and I'm guessing other distros has a prompt for that (it's a bit of a hassle with setting temporary passwords and rebooting and stuff but not too difficult).

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Oh and if you do go through the key enroling stuff write down the temp password. On my current laptop the bios was asking for particular characters from the password ("enter character 3 of password", "enter character 8 of password", etc).

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Okay so after hours of troubleshooting (and changing every possible boot option) I just gave up on Manjaro and installed another distro. I think Manjaro was messing up the GRUB loader setup or something like that, cause it worked first try with another distro.

• Options
    There's always been an element of "I use this distro because it installs on this hardware" to Desktop Linux.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I like Antergos better than Manjaro because Manjaro comes with a bunch of stuff I don’t need or want.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Did a fresh install of Mint on my new PC, and it appears to be working really smoothly! Definitely fewer installable games in my Steam account, but hopefully I can fix that with WINE or something. Also gotta figure out if I can start transferring some files from two of my old NTFS hard drives without having to convert stuff.

My enthusiasm definitely got tempered a bit with the news that Microsoft is letting Windows 10 run Android apps natively, though. :P

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Linux can read NTFS just fine. Writing I am not sure. I haven't tried it in ages because of NAS.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    You'll find that wikis provide a lot of the commands you'll need and you can copy/paste them right into Terminal. And that'll only happen is you feel the need to muck about in term anyway. Generally you can do anything you really need to in the UI if you don't want to type.

Then again, if you didn't want to feel like a hacker in term, you wouldn't have joined us cool guys using Linux.

Ubuntu was kind of a disappointment in that respect. Once I got EVE sorted, everything else just... worked. I was all keyed up for a big learning curve - I'd specifically put two days aside for climbing that curve - but apart getting used to a somewhat different GUI and running the updater through the terminal there was nothing else to do.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Linux can read NTFS just fine. Writing I am not sure. I haven't tried it in ages because of NAS.

It can write ntfs just fine too.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Darklyre wrote: »
    Did a fresh install of Mint on my new PC, and it appears to be working really smoothly! Definitely fewer installable games in my Steam account, but hopefully I can fix that with WINE or something. Also gotta figure out if I can start transferring some files from two of my old NTFS hard drives without having to convert stuff.

My enthusiasm definitely got tempered a bit with the news that Microsoft is letting Windows 10 run Android apps natively, though. :P

This is the information that you're looking for right here. That link will show you how to enable Steam Play for all of the games in your Steam library. You'll likely have issues with a few (I've had issues with Frost Punk and Divinity II) but otherwise it has worked perfectly.

Descendant X on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I am probably getting off Manjaro on my work PC.

I am going to give KDE Neon a shot that or Fedora 29 KDE spin.

I want to love gnome 3 but it's messaging center is hot garbage if you're using it for work and need visible notifications on multi-monitors.

Seidkona on
  • Options

I want to love gnome 3 but it's messaging center is hot garbage if you're using it for work and need visible notifications on multi-monitors.

Are you not able to install KDE Neon as a WM alongside Gnome 3 on Manjaro?

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I think KDE Neon is the KDE project’s flagship Ununtu distro now because the KDE guy or maybe just the Kubuntu guy had a fight with Canonical, but Kubuntu is still coming out, or something.

Linux is real dumb huh.

• Options

Are you not able to install KDE Neon as a WM alongside Gnome 3 on Manjaro?

The reason I am swapping away from Manjaro is because I would like to get away from a rolling distro on my Work PC. I would like some more stability there.

Home Workstation is staying Manjaro.

• Options
    I went with KDE neon for the work PC.

I figured I should go as stable as possible while still getting enough new toys on the GUI front to keep me happy.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I've always liked KDE.

• Options
    Neon is neat. It is Ubuntu LTS with a repo for the latest KDE Plasma stuff on top.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I am always surprised by how lightweight KDE actually is when compared to how heavy it looks.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    There's a lot of KDE software that I like a lot, and I like the aesthetics of it a lot. But sometimes I'm just thrown for too much of a loop by the rest of it. So Neon sounds really interesting to me.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    LD50 wrote: »
    I've always liked KDE.

I don't know. KDE 4 was pretty terrible.

KDE 5 on the other hand is pretty great.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Welp.

KDE Neon updated to 5.14.0 today and then immediately broke on me in the middle of a work emergency.

So word of warning.

Luckily I can ctl-alt to a new terminal and then run the hidden cmd line VPN client to get into work.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Tomorrow night will be spent installing fedora

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Sorry for the quad post but over half the time I think I could just run without xwindows. It's only ever DE's that break on me.

Just terminal everything and run tmux for multi terms.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Hey Guys

I am hoping somone with Linux experience can point me in the right direction with an issue I am having on a Raspberry Pi (but I am more inclined to believe it is my lack of Linux knowledge that is the issue).

For a project I want to do at work we have a Pi, and need it to communicate to multiple subnets vLANS.
    • The Pi is on a static 10.20.128.60 /22 address, and can ping & navigate to devices on that same subnet
    • We have other devices on a second subnet with 10.20.144.x /22 addresses
    • The firewall is set to allow traffic freely between both subnets
    • Other devices on the 10.20.128.x /22 range can talk to devices on the 10.20.144.x /22 range without issue
    • The Pi however can not ping or connect to anything on the 144.x /22 range

For the Pi the ethernet adapter was set to
    IP: 10.20.128.60
    Router: 10.20.128.1
    DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
    DNS Search: <blank>

As it dosn't seem to be the firewall or network that is blocking the Pi talking to the secondary vLAN - can anyone point me in the right direction for what I have messed up / failed to do?

Khade97 on
  • Options
    Khade97 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I am hoping somone with Linux experience can point me in the right direction with an issue I am having on a Raspberry Pi (but I am more inclined to believe it is my lack of Linux knowledge that is the issue).

For a project I want to do at work we have a Pi, and need it to communicate to multiple subnets vLANS.
    • The Pi is on a static 10.20.128.60 /22 address, and can ping & navigate to devices on that same subnet
    • We have other devices on a second subnet with 10.20.144.x /22 addresses
    • The firewall is set to allow traffic freely between both subnets
    • Other devices on the 10.20.128.x /22 range can talk to devices on the 10.20.144.x /22 range without issue
    • The Pi however can not ping or connect to anything on the 144.x /22 range

For the Pi the ethernet adapter was set to
    IP: 10.20.128.60
    Router: 10.20.128.1
    DNS Server: 8.8.8.8
    DNS Search: <blank>

As it dosn't seem to be the firewall or network that is blocking the Pi talking to the secondary vLAN - can anyone point me in the right direction for what I have messed up / failed to do?

Despite what I am reading, that really sounds like a gateway config issue to me. Can you traceroute and see if your router (10.20.128.1) shows up as a hop? If it does, it's not a gateway issue. If it doesn't, it's a gateway issue. For some reason it's either not reading your ethernet config correctly, or it's mis-configured.