As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBOX controller to PC questions.

So I need a new joystick for my PC. I'm trying to verify that I could use my currently gathering dust XBONE controller with it if i have the right connection.

Will any wireless bluetooth dongle provide the connection I need or do i need the specific one they sell for the xbox controllers? Is every controller/bluetooth connector i see on the shelf that says xbox okay or do i need one specifically that says xbox one?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    You should be fine with any old Bluetooth dongle, IF (big "if") your controller is one of the ones that supports Bluetooth. If it's an older one you'll need the official wireless adapter (or run wired with a micro USB cable).

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if it came with an XBOX S or later then it'll be fine with any old blutooth thing, otherwise you'll need the official stuff.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    How old is your Xbox controller? The early generation controllers don't have BT built in. You need either the Xbox wireless adapter (that plugs into a USB port), or a Micro USB cable (which turns it into a wired controller).

The 2016 generation controllers have BT built in. At this point, most controllers belong to that revision or later. They work with any BT 4.0 device, and they have the previously mentioned functionality.

(Bluetooth also comes with a tiny bit of latency that the Xbox's proprietary RF, or a wired connection, doesn't, but normal humans would almost never notice. It's the same if you use a Dualshock 4 with PS4/PSFro, so practically a nonissue.)

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    early generation Xbox One. definately not an S.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    early generation Xbox One. definately not an S.

Official adapter or a wire, then.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Yea, you can just use it wired if you want.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Yup. The RF adapter is actually quite nice...if you want to connect four Xbox controllers to your PC, and don't have four free USB ports or a hub.

If you're just looking for something to use with Steam games, it's probably overkill.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The Xbox One controller is supported natively in most games and on-screen button mappings match the Xbox button colors & labels. It's really one of the best options for a PC gamepad.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Well its a good thing...cause while i probably would prefer to use my PS4 controller I'm actually using that system.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    The PS4 controller also has native Bluetooth.

If you prefer the ergonomics of the Xbox controller, they are regularly on sale for $40US with a bit of poking around.

• Options
    Games have been getting a lot better about including PS4 button mappings and prompts on-screen. It wasn't that long ago that you got Xbox ones (heh) regardless and had to make do. Some games detect which to use automatically, some you have to manually switch in the options, but it's easier than ever to use a PS4 controller with a PC if that's your preference.

Personally I much prefer the Xbox One controller, but YMMV (obviously) and really you can't go far wrong with either one.