As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    My favorite thing after finishing the story was
    getting that ridiculous phone call from Silver Sable.

“Spider-man, I am leaving New York. I can longer in good conscience stay after everything that’s happened. You have given me a lot to think about.

My men are staying and will still try to kill you for... reasons.

Bye.”

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    My favorite thing after finishing the story was
    getting that ridiculous phone call from Silver Sable.

“Spider-man, I am leaving New York. I can longer in good conscience stay after everything that’s happened. You have given me a lot to think about.

My men are staying and will still try to kill you for... reasons.

Bye.”
    apparently they don't give a damn how their boss feels about the job as long as Osborn's money is green.

Something occurs to me watching some earlier missions after completing the game.
    In the halloween party, we see some people dressed up as Spider-Man villains, like Vulture, Electro, Rhino, Mysterio, and the like. But we see Vulture, Electro, and Rhino in person later on, and they don't look like the classic comic-book costumes that the poeple at the party are wearing. Are we to understand that this new dead-serious Electro still wore that utterly goofy green jumpsuit from the comics at some point in this Spidey's history? Because that's pretty funny if true.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Something occurs to me watching some earlier missions after completing the game.
    In the halloween party, we see some people dressed up as Spider-Man villains, like Vulture, Electro, Rhino, Mysterio, and the like. But we see Vulture, Electro, and Rhino in person later on, and they don't look like the classic comic-book costumes that the poeple at the party are wearing. Are we to understand that this new dead-serious Electro still wore that utterly goofy green jumpsuit from the comics at some point in this Spidey's history? Because that's pretty funny if true.

When collecting backpacks
    Spidey references both the device he used to jam the Vulture's wings in their first fight, and the goofey web wings he once used himself.

So for this setting, I think it's safe to say that yes, these villains did indeed wear those costumes originally.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

When collecting backpacks
    Spidey references both the device he used to jam the Vulture's wings in their first fight, and the goofey web wings he once used himself.

So for this setting, I think it's safe to say that yes, these villains did indeed wear those costumes originally.

Villain
    There are a few close ups of Electro’s face and he has these scars that form an v-shape like the bottom half of his old mask.

So yeah, I think there’s some implication that, Back in his high school days, villains dressed in bad 80s and 90s fashion.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Game beaten and platinum earned. I'll say up front that not only is Spider-Man my favorite superhero, but I'd go as far to say that Peter Parker is my single favorite character in all of fiction, period, so I went in with high expectations and boy, oh boy did this deliver. Easily the most satisfying Spider-story I've experienced since, I don't know...the second Raimi film? An amazing ride, and I'm thrilled that we're getting more of this very, very soon.

Who wants to see some pictures?
    ghswvakjw7g1.jpg
    exicwma3cgk3.jpg
    ljgkqq2gfqbu.jpg
    4g3cqrkk0u5t.jpg
    xt9qztlz8sk1.jpg
    ud55r7xu7ziw.jpg

That last one might as well be "photo_mode.png". It's the perfect expression of how amazingly hilarious/inappropriate photo mode can be.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    People aren’t kidding about the emotional final battle and ending to this game. That was really intense. That final battle was really well done.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    98% of the time, Spider-Man is a joy to play.

However, about 2% of the time, things go horribly wrong between my brain and the controller.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.

So, finished Spider-Man. Yep, that ending. Pow, right in the feels. All of them.

You know what else was really good in the game, but I don't see a lot of people mentioning? The music. The music was fantastic.

Completely off the wall speculation about Mary Jane's role in an inevitable sequel:
    • The game isn't afraid to tweak characters to update them - see Mary Jane being a reporter, Otto and Peter's relationship, etc.
    • It looks like Harry will be the initial host of the symbiote in the sequel, given the post-credits scene.
    • There seem to be a few indications of a love triangle between Peter, MJ and Harry, with Harry basically acting as a third wheel. Harry might have never gone out with MJ (or might have), but it was clearly Peter that MJ settled on.
    • MJ is determined to be an equal partner to Peter.
    • Miles is clearly getting a power upgrade in the sequel. Assuming that he and MJ are both playable characters, that'd leave MJ as the only "regular" person. Which might work for narrative reasons. Or maybe there's a plan to upgrade her too.
    • Spider-Man's best emotional beats tend to come when he's in conflict with someone he cares about - Harry, Otto in this game, etc.
    • The game is heavily influenced by comics that have come out over the past decade or so, and yeah, I think that they might go there.

I could totally see a plotline where MJ gets the Venom symbiote, the symbiote takes with it all of Harry's jealousy of Peter for having MJ in his life and all of MJ's suppressed jealousy at Peter's extrodinary capacity to help people. As a result, Peter ends up fighting MJ until she gets the symbiote under control. And then hopefully we get three playable Spider-People, Peter, MJ and Miles, with full city roam on all three

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    The music is so good dude.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The funny thing is, I wish I could turn off the music that starts playing as soon as you start swinging. Not because it's bad, but because there are a lot of moments where it's just wasted. Like "No no guys, you don't have to do this, I'm going 3 buildings. I'll be done before you even finish the buildup.".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I originally only started reading Dan Slott's Spider-Man because of Superior Spider-Man. When I heard the premise, I assumed it would be a total shitshow, and I wanted to see how bad it was. After a few issues, I started to realize that I kept reading it because I was ... enjoying it. I kept up with it even after it switched back to Amazing (though I'm still a bit behind).

This game prompted me to go deep into his back issues. It's kinda cool seeing the comic origins of some of the suits from the game. There are definitely worse ways to utilize the free month of Marvel Unlimited that came with the game.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm only about halfway through the game (if that), but what I find really impressive - and rare in games, let alone superhero games - is how well Spider-Man manages the tone of its story. The game is fun, as are the characters, but they're never fun at the expense of what is happening. There have already been several scenes where the antagonists are presented as a real, genuine threat, and credibly so, while still working as heightened, comic-book bad guys.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    There are definitely worse ways to utilize the free month of Marvel Unlimited that came with the game.

what?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    There are definitely worse ways to utilize the free month of Marvel Unlimited that came with the game.

what?

There was a promo code in my copy of the game. I assumed it was in all of them.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

what?

Oh nice, I went digital so missed out I guess

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Man, such a good ending to this game.
    Losing May was definitely rough and unexpected but the battle with Otto was even more emotional. Peter yelling, "You were MY hero!" while fighting on the side of the building was so good!

Losing May was definitely rough and unexpected but the battle with Otto was even more emotional. Peter yelling, "You were MY hero!" while fighting on the side of the building was so good!
    Basically everything from Peter getting the shit kicked out of him before confronting Otto all the way to the end of the credits is emotionally powerful

The dynamic and relationship between Peter and Octavius puts that rivalry into such a different light. They touched on it in Spider-Man 2, but here there was an opportunity to really develop it. Peter loved Otto, and at some point Otto probably loved him too. But as Peter learns more and more about Otto's plans, he wonders not only if the arms have warped his mind, but also how much Otto planned this ahead of time. Everything is put into a different light and it is deeply damaging for Peter. He has no Uncle Ben, no Otto, no important father-figures in his life, something he's always craved since his parents left him/died/whatever canon they're using.

Letting May die is not just a difficult decision because he must think of the city before one person, and therefore be a hero, but it is also Peter fighting with himself and his own insecurity, whether he can live without Ben, May, Otto, even MJ (since they hadn't gotten back together at that point). It's a deeply personal and powerful decision beyond just "what do real heroes do?"

I think it's one of the better stories to come from Marvel, even if it's disconnected from their cinematic universe. (I think that makes it better actually).

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Linking this in with the MCU would have been a tremendously bad idea.
    If they want to, I think Marvel could try and capture lightning twice by establishing an Marvel Videogames Universe. Like, whoever they choose to develop an Iron Man game, or Daredevil / Black Panther / Whatever, get them to set it in the same universe.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I’m with you. MCU comes with a ton of baggage and just steering clear of it lets the devs do their own thing and make the game palatable to the casual marvel fan.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Linking this in with the MCU would have been a tremendously bad idea.
    If they want to, I think Marvel could try and capture lightning twice by establishing an Marvel Videogames Universe. Like, whoever they choose to develop an Iron Man game, or Daredevil / Black Panther / Whatever, get them to set it in the same universe.

Yeah a link with MCU would have been a bad idea. What if you finally perfect the Iron Man game formula and then they retire the character in the MCU? What if you're working on a great Guardians of the Galaxy design and some fucking moron fires the director and puts the whole franchise in limbo? Better to make games on their own pace based on what they most want to do.

If Marvel can actually be committed to partnering with quality devs like Insomniac, I am all for a MVGU.

So I’m kinda dumb and didn’t pick up on this (in part because of historical spider man canon baggage but (end game)
    Harry is basically Venom?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Basically everything from Peter getting the shit kicked out of him before confronting Otto all the way to the end of the credits is emotionally powerful

The dynamic and relationship between Peter and Octavius puts that rivalry into such a different light. They touched on it in Spider-Man 2, but here there was an opportunity to really develop it. Peter loved Otto, and at some point Otto probably loved him too. But as Peter learns more and more about Otto's plans, he wonders not only if the arms have warped his mind, but also how much Otto planned this ahead of time. Everything is put into a different light and it is deeply damaging for Peter. He has no Uncle Ben, no Otto, no important father-figures in his life, something he's always craved since his parents left him/died/whatever canon they're using.

Letting May die is not just a difficult decision because he must think of the city before one person, and therefore be a hero, but it is also Peter fighting with himself and his own insecurity, whether he can live without Ben, May, Otto, even MJ (since they hadn't gotten back together at that point). It's a deeply personal and powerful decision beyond just "what do real heroes do?"

I think it's one of the better stories to come from Marvel, even if it's disconnected from their cinematic universe. (I think that makes it better actually).
    Letting May die also means that Parker is now indirectly but personally responsible for getting both Uncle Ben and his Aunt May killed.

Losing Ben the way he did would have been bad enough, but May died expressly because of Parker helping Otto out. If Parker hadn't helped Otto develop the arms and get back on his feet after Osborn took everything, he likely would not have been able to ever finish his research and execute his plan to infect the city with the deadly disease that killed May. And then on top of that, he had to choose to let Aunt May die in order to save loads of other people.

That's like... Dark Souls grade nightmare situation.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So I’m kinda dumb and didn’t pick up on this (in part because of historical spider man canon baggage but (end game)
    Well he's got the symbiote doing something with him. To be Venom he'll need the symbiote to reattach to him after it gets Spidey's powers. So this could just be the set-up for how the symbiote gets rolling. But it still could go that route once it ends up with the powers. That's all the fun stuff we have to look forward to in the next game! It just better let me A) still play as Peter and B) Let me play as symbiote Spider-Man.

Letting May die also means that Parker is now indirectly but personally responsible for getting both Uncle Ben and his Aunt May killed.

Losing Ben the way he did would have been bad enough, but May died expressly because of Parker helping Otto out. If Parker hadn't helped Otto develop the arms and get back on his feet after Osborn took everything, he likely would not have been able to ever finish his research and execute his plan to infect the city with the deadly disease that killed May. And then on top of that, he had to choose to let Aunt May die in order to save loads of other people.

But here's the big what-if:
    what if Peter had been on time to the lab on the day of the grant review? The flaw that caused the fire that ultimately got the lab shut down and led to Otto's desperation is something that Peter would have found and fixed if he'd been there to do the final check. If he'd been there, could Otto's downfall have been prevented entirely?

But here's the big what-if:
    what if Peter had been on time to the lab on the day of the grant review? The flaw that caused the fire that ultimately got the lab shut down and led to Otto's desperation is something that Peter would have found and fixed if he'd been there to do the final check. If he'd been there, could Otto's downfall have been prevented entirely?
    I’m sure you could find a myriad of decisions Peter made or didn’t make that could be attributed to the course of events in the game but I’m hesitant to stretch that far back. I think Otto was already in thin ice with the grantors and if not the fire it could have been easily something else.

One of the big themes of the game is the lengths people will go to exert, maintain, or refine control of their lives, perceived or not. Li is the perfect setup for Otto because the two men have very good, admirable qualities but they are overshadowed by anger and the need for vengeance.

That is completely out of Peter’s control but he spends 2/3rds of the game trying to bring both men back from the edge. He blames himself more than anyone else, but there is very little he could have done to stop these men.

Martin Li wanted to let his dark side out to utterly destroy Osborne. Octavius wanted the arms to surpass his degenerative disease, and the will to enact his darkest plans. Not men sought things in their lives that would give them some kind of control, FEAST, science, self-funding, invention, leadership, and eventually power and violence.

But the thing that breaks Peter at the end, that causes him the most trauma, is the realization that these men did all these things and there was nothing he could to prevent it.

When Otto asks Peter for help and Peter says, to paraphrase, “I’ll get you the best help I can,” he has let go of the idea that he can redeem Otto, and that breaks his heart, because if he could have brought Otto back from the edge, it would have proven Otto’s feelings for Peter were greater than his need for revenge.

But Otto knew Peter was spider man the whole time, and did everything he did anyway. That was the end of Peter’s illusory control over the people he loves.

Well he's got the symbiote doing something with him. To be Venom he'll need the symbiote to reattach to him after it gets Spidey's powers. So this could just be the set-up for how the symbiote gets rolling. But it still could go that route once it ends up with the powers. That's all the fun stuff we have to look forward to in the next game! It just better let me A) still play as Peter and B) Let me play as symbiote Spider-Man.

Well. . .
    Norman’s secret lab already had spiders in it, of various types. The symbiote probably already has spider-powers.

I maintain that they seem to be setting MJ up to be the one who ultimately ends up with the symbiote. I could see a line like Harry getting out of the tank, Peter and MJ coming over to celebrate him being back, the symbiote creeping out of the tank and bonding to MJ while she sleeps on the couch, and MJ as Venom being the Act I boss. And then available as a character to play as after Peter helps her regain control.

Shadowhope wrote: »

Well. . .
    Norman’s secret lab already had spiders in it, of various types. The symbiote probably already has spider-powers.

I maintain that they seem to be setting MJ up to be the one who ultimately ends up with the symbiote. I could see a line like Harry getting out of the tank, Peter and MJ coming over to celebrate him being back, the symbiote creeping out of the tank and bonding to MJ while she sleeps on the couch, and MJ as Venom being the Act I boss. And then available as a character to play as after Peter helps her regain control.

If it meant MJ side missions that weren't boring, I'd be plenty onboard for that.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Well. . .

I think it would be a real shame if they skipped the symbiote Spidey. Besides just dealing with the fans who were vocal enough about not having that suit in this game even with the idea that they were holding out for it... if it turned out they weren't holding out for it well, dang. But just in general the symbiote getting the powers during the bond with Spidey is what adds that extra layer that makes the connection between Spidey and Venom. It feels pretty important.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

what?

there wasn't in mine, I'm in Canada though :\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    I'm sorry I got everyone's hopes up for a free month of Marvel Unlimited, only for you all to be let down. I highly recommend checking the service out. They got a shitload of Marvel back issues on there.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I finished this yesterday afternoon, and got my first ever Platinum trophy along the way. Man, I know this game wasn't perfect, but it was an absolute joy the entire trip. Put it up there with Horizon, and God of War for games I want the sequel done as fast as humanly possible.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    I'm trying to decide if I want to platinum. I think I will because swinging around the city and photo mode are so fucking fun I might as well finish up the leftovers along the way.

But I want to give myself a little space for the DLC, which is coming relatively soon. We'll see, I'm in no rush.

I was kind of sweating doing these drone challenges I heard everyone talking about. Just finished them all up on gold, and it... "wasn't that bad". Tricky, but not insurmountable. But I'd still maybe drop the point requirements down like 5k or something, because I get why people would struggle with them. But I was already proficient at the point launch jump, and by the end the challenges made me an expert.

Really made me wish there was a "restart challenge" option in the menu or something though for when you already know 10 seconds in you've fucked up.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    There is. Just use the restart last checkpoint and it will take you back to the start of the challenge.

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
    There is. Just use the restart last checkpoint and it will take you back to the start of the challenge.

Suddenly I agree with everything JJJ has ever said about Spider-Man.

I didn't find the drone challenges horrible, just tedious. Some of them are very tight on the gold ranking, so it can take several attempts before landing that perfect run that shaves off the half-second you need to win.

They just suffer heavily in comparison with the rest of the game, they aren't outright terrible.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I wish we could get a game/show/movie with Doc Ock dressed up in the classy white suit that he had in the early 90s,