As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Gifted - An X-Men-Ass X-Men Show

12346»

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, but this is a case of someone trying to be a little clever without someone telling them it sounds stupid.

Unless you like it. Then it's fine.

Speaking of them (and everyone else):
    I'd like to know why they didn't mind whammie like everyone again ("Shoot the 2 mutants" would have been an easy sell). Or why Polaris didn't rip that metal cuff apart. Or why they stood there (guess maybe he can't move and maintain illusions?). Blink needs to get more handy with portals, someone shoot her or something.

Basically the result of Andy and Lauren giving Mad Dr what he wanted was a bit underwhelming. He has as weaker version of the Strucker's that were only effective because they forgot they could do that too and better.

Xeddicus on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Their name is aggressively Grant Morrison, in that they are a triple layer reference to pop culture and other concepts that you have to peel away to understand instead of just being called

Beast because he's big and strong and deformed or Angel because he has angel wings

Their name is a little Firebert, imo

• HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    They are trying to set up a new Emma frost right?

I'm not sure what you mean?
    The Cuckoos are all clones of Emma, created as part of the Weapon Plus program.
    I think they mean is this leading to a recast and reintroduction of a new version too which is say ....Idunno, we really have no idea how this thing interacts right now. They say its set in the X-men world, but does that mean literally the same one as the movies and any entanglements mean needing the movie actor and therefore are super unlikely or is it more like Arrow verse where the two have nothing to do with each other but are both DC? Right now they have been very deliberate to not clarify as far as I can tell and really happy to color within the lines of the amibiguity. Casting a new Emma would definitely be a point at which they would need to make some sort of declaration.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Their name is aggressively Grant Morrison, in that they are a triple layer reference to pop culture and other concepts that you have to peel away to understand instead of just being called

Beast because he's big and strong and deformed or Angel because he has angel wings

Their name is a little Firebert, imo

is... is that a Homestar Runner reference?

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i think my favorite thing about the episode
    is the deep cut about that time magneto was in the hellfire club in the comics at the same time he was leading the x-men. it was a neat little continuity reference i appreciated being alluded to when lorna was talking to one of the frosts

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Latest episode
    Is that Hellfire club dude that the Frosts were talking to anybody from the comics? He felt like he might be somebody, but I didn't catch his name

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, season finale was on tonight.
    All in all, this show has exceeded my expectations (granted, my expectations were quite low).

Do we know if the show has been renewed for a second season?
    Also, any thoughts on how is the fox/disney thing may affect the show if it does continue?

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    No one truly becomes evil... until they start wearing more revealing clothes.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The Gifted is good

Xehalus on
    edited January 2018
    Pretty good, yeah.
    Maybe if the good guys realized they were already in a war they wouldn't loose people to the dark side.

At least they remembered they could do the blow stuff up too, but better. Only took almost the end of the world for them. Better late than never, I guess.

@Rorshach Kringle Still think I was reading into the triangle? Granted they cut one side out prematurely, but there we have it!

Xeddicus on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    I think what's interesting about this show is how it takes the mutant allegory in a different and modern direction

From the beginning, X-Men stories have always been thick with allegory and metaphor for oppression and discrimination. When Marvel first conceived of the series it was blatantly tied with racism and the civil rights movement. Bryan Singer's movies used being a mutant as a very thinly veiled code for being gay.

The Gifted codes that allegory a little differently. Here, the mutants serve as an allegory for more modern prejudices; against illegal immigrants, Muslims, and a xenophobic fear of terrorist "others".

The rhetoric of men like Senator Montez wouldn't look out of place from many modern Republicans in real life talking about Muslims or Mexicans. Sentinel Services is basically just ICE with some fictional extra utilities at their disposal.

It's a fascinating twist on the concept, and definitely one I wish more people were watching and talking about.

Straightzi wrote: »
    Latest episode
    Is that Hellfire club dude that the Frosts were talking to anybody from the comics? He felt like he might be somebody, but I didn't catch his name
    Here's his show wiki entry: http://thegifted.wikia.com/wiki/William?wb48617274=5F8BA5F2 I can't find any "William"s on the Marvel Wikia page for the Hellfire Club: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Hellfire_Club_(Earth-616), but the way this show has pulled some deep-ish cuts, I wouldn't be surprised if he were a version of an existing comics character.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Pony wrote: »
    I think what's interesting about this show is how it takes the mutant allegory in a different and modern direction

From the beginning, X-Men stories have always been thick with allegory and metaphor for oppression and discrimination. When Marvel first conceived of the series it was blatantly tied with racism and the civil rights movement. Bryan Singer's movies used being a mutant as a very thinly veiled code for being gay.

The Gifted codes that allegory a little differently. Here, the mutants serve as an allegory for more modern prejudices; against illegal immigrants, Muslims, and a xenophobic fear of terrorist "others".

The rhetoric of men like Senator Montez wouldn't look out of place from many modern Republicans in real life talking about Muslims or Mexicans. Sentinel Services is basically just ICE with some fictional extra utilities at their disposal.

It's a fascinating twist on the concept, and definitely one I wish more people were watching and talking about.

It's a show I frequently have to pause while watching because a lot of the hatespeech and ugliness on display in the show are far too real to life.

Caedwyr on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The metaphor was doing pretty good, you know, serviceable work for me most of the season

And then there was the big Senator Montez speech, and oof, that was a lot

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Last episode
    I like that they were blatant with the talk about Polaris' bipolar disorder, but I don't like that they finally acknowledged it in the episode she becomes a villain

Especially when some characters go "this isn't a bipolar episode she's just being a dick"

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Posting in case people hadn't heard, the second season is back as of tonight.

sig.gif
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    2ish week wait this side of the pond but stoked it's returning sooner than I thought :+1:

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Sorce wrote: »

Interesting to see that they're capitalizing the letter "M" in the titles this season, instead of "X" like season 1.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Oh thank God

Last season's episode titles were at once endearingly cheesy and also kinda grating

see317 wrote: »

Interesting to see that they're capitalizing the letter "M" in the titles this season, instead of "X" like season 1.

MONET ST. CROIX?!

Straightzi wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

MONET ST. CROIX?!

I was thinking about that other guy. The one that controls metal and magnetism and stuff. Has a cool helmet.
    You know, Dr. Polaris.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    This is how we find out there are four planned seasons

Next season is "E"

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Jimothy wrote: »
    This is how we find out there are four planned seasons

Next season is "A"

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Bold of them to aim for a 66 season run to spell out "X-MEN WERE WRONG WE GUESS BUT HEY AT LEAST THEY TRIED IN DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES"

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    Nice of them to throw us off by skipping the dash though.
    Got to keep some mystery for the fans.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Did anyone else think that first episode seemed a lot more melodramatic than season 1? Just noticed bunches of shots at weird angles for no reason and dramatic zooms on faces.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    i was too busy being all in on the first thing an angsty teen doing upon running away was to get frosted tips

6vjsgrerts6r.png

edited September 2018
    i was too busy being all in on the first thing an angsty teen doing upon running away was to get frosted tips

Yeah I was like "this hair is unforgivable" but then I thought "that is 100% what an angsty 15 year old would do"

Garlic Bread on
    i legit clapped when i saw that hair

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Okay so
    What's wrong with Lorna's baby?

I've been suspecting that something was up since the very beginning, given the circumstances, and Marcos' reactions to events in the latest episode seem to confirm that something is wrong. But what do you think it could be?

Something I think is interesting about Dad Strucker
    his developing mutation looks to me a lot like the Satan Claw, a crazy fire glove thing that the old Baron Strucker used in the comics

satan-claw1.jpg

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Is there anywhere that season 1 can be watched for free?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Not for free, but it is on Hulu.

S2e4
    So what's everyone's guess for the mutant they pulled out of the mental facility?

If he didn't have a show of his own, I'd be assuming it's Legion, but that seems very unlikely here. Rogue is probably my top pick, but she's been in the movies enough that I kind of doubt it (although technically Blink has been in the movies as well).

Arise thread!

Latest ep:
    How did the bad guys get there so fast/they get there so slow emergency services were already mopping up? If you don't have the budget for an explosion don't write one!

At least Polaris is coming around.