As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I imagine that the SD version of the Zock is just a rerelease of the Zock.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    GODHAAAAAND I love them nippers

Also ho boy airbrushing is hard. I'm still not really comfortable sharing any of the stuff I've done the last few years cause it all looks butts. My 6th Form Barbatos finally arrived tho! Gonna try painting him up like the Hi Res model. So much masking in my future, whooooo

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GODHAAAAAND I love them nippers

Also ho boy airbrushing is hard. I'm still not really comfortable sharing any of the stuff I've done the last few years cause it all looks butts. My 6th Form Barbatos finally arrived tho! Gonna try painting him up like the Hi Res model. So much masking in my future, whooooo

Share it anyway! You're always your own worst critic.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i actually do have the SD zock, it's ADORABLE

IMG_8364+%2528Copy%2529.JPG

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I forget, who makes those hanger-bases?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is it bandai

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i think bandai might have a couple different kinds, but the ones i've seen have been under the name System Base

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Well I walked in to get some sanding sticks and walked out with an Asshimar as well. Briefly considered a HG Strike Freedom (clear color).

At the rate I build kits I expect to build this sometime late 2019/early 2020.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hmm.

Now that I open this kit.. I have no clue what I want to do with it, either assembling or painting. I just.. feel like I'm delaying other stuff I need to do. >.<

It's the Revive RX-78-2... Very simple model. But... I just can't think what I want to paint. Well.. My Little Pony or voltron comes to mind, but that's a lot of work.

I also need to see if I can get ahold of any paint-on primer, as I still don't have a good place to do priming here.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    Hmm.

Now that I open this kit.. I have no clue what I want to do with it, either assembling or painting. I just.. feel like I'm delaying other stuff I need to do. >.<

It's the Revive RX-78-2... Very simple model. But... I just can't think what I want to paint. Well.. My Little Pony or voltron comes to mind, but that's a lot of work.

I also need to see if I can get ahold of any paint-on primer, as I still don't have a good place to do priming here.

Vallejo makes some good primers in black, white, or grey and in 60ml or 200ml sizes. You can use them for brush priming or thin for an airbrush.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I’m so stupid! I bought the SDCS Zaku, but forgot to buy the grey frame to make the CS counterpart.
    And I have the SDCS RX-78-2 combination kit, I could use its CS frame, but it is white and because some of the parts would peek through (like at the back of joints) I realised that a Zaku with white joint accents is not so desireable.

Silly me! And if I order a grey CS frame the temptation is very big to order some more kits :lol:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    I’m so stupid! I bought the SDCS Zaku, but forgot to buy the grey frame to make the CS counterpart.
    And I have the SDCS RX-78-2 combination kit, I could use its CS frame, but it is white and because some of the parts would peek through (like at the back of joints) I realised that a Zaku with white joint accents is not so desireable.

Silly me! And if I order a grey CS frame the temptation is very big to order some more kits :lol:

Give in to the Dark Side!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Instead of getting anything done at work today I'm mentally re-posing all my models

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Aww yeah HGUC Gustav Karl incoming

6ce4a4aagy1fvoxriy2q2j20ir0xcdiu.jpg

• Options
    yesssss

i saw pictures of a gustav karl resin kit from Anime Festival Asia, was wondering when we'd see the official model

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    UUUUUHHHHHH

Hey there, big boy.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    That’s a beefy boy.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    We are closer to animated Hathaway's Flash then ever before

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I keep forgetting that thing is a 1/144 kit because it's using up three goddamn action base platforms

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I know it's called the Gustav Karl but way to much time playing engineer on Battlefield has me subconsciously flipping the name around to Carl Gustaf.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Now that is one schwerer Gustav

• Options
    oh also while i'm happy to keep being a Guncannon Factory, while building the iron cavalry kit i did find myself yearning for the Revive line's ultra thin sprue gates, so i'm building the revive rx78 right now

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay, not bad for a couple hours of work... though I'm surprised that I think I built the same model as you. @miscellaneousinsanity !! The RX-78-2?

I now have 5 days to figure out how the hell I'm going to paint it for the contest. And more than that, I forgot to wash down the runners before I started. But hey, at least I remembered not to apply the stickers!

2BgH4Pxh.jpg

I really wish I could get ahold of a 1/72 scale Gundam model. This one is 1/144, whereas the Cannon Tortoise and Death Stinger are 1/72, and the lego is 1/5 bricks, I think.

2Ft1FqJh.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Anyone know a site I can get beam saber parts and decals that ships to the UK? I just need generic ones (and Zeon stuff for the decals).

I’m starting Tau for 40k and I’ve used beam saber parts before for weapon effects, and I’m planning on doing them up as a Zeon colour scheme/theme. Want the decals for the larger models so I can have all the warning labels and stuff.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Anyone know a site I can get beam saber parts and decals that ships to the UK? I just need generic ones (and Zeon stuff for the decals).

I’m starting Tau for 40k and I’ve used beam saber parts before for weapon effects, and I’m planning on doing them up as a Zeon colour scheme/theme. Want the decals for the larger models so I can have all the warning labels and stuff.
    This online store in Belgium sells Gunpla and Decals, and might just ship to the UK. You ca pay with Paypal or bank transfer (with the given IBAN number). This might help you further?
    GunplaBelgium

It is in French, but you should be able to figure it out.
    It’s where I have bought a bucketload of stuff (it’s a financially dangerous site for me :wink: )

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

This online store in Belgium sells Gunpla and Decals, and might just ship to the UK. You ca pay with Paypal or bank transfer (with the given IBAN number). This might help you further?
    GunplaBelgium

It is in French, but you should be able to figure it out.
    It’s where I have bought a bucketload of stuff (it’s a financially dangerous site for me :wink: )

Well, until No Deal Brexit kicks in, at least.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I want that big beefy boy model.

• Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    My first forray into Gunpla (or modeling in general really):

540HKBX.jpg?1

I had a lot of fun with it! I had pretty crappy nippers/xacto knife, this was more about seeing if I enjoyed the process. I've got the HG Schwarzritter ready to go, just waiting for some new supplies to show up and going to try to make it come out a little nicer.

Also I realized i'm old and need to get some kind of magnification system if I'm going to keep working on stuff this small, anyone have any suggestions? I'd probably prefer something that I can wear vs something that is table mount, as I don't really have dedicated workspace yet.

• Options
    I have to take my glasses off when building my Gunpla.

Makes it way easier to see, and you can get high when applying Gundam Marker/clear nail polish/glue/...

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I don't have any suggestions for a magnification system, but I looked up headband magnifiers and got tons of results, so there's no shortage of options. You got me thinking I should get one for myself. Enough craning my neck and getting my face right up on whatever I'm working on.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    In addition to a magnifier, consider getting a desk lamp with a decent wattage bulb in it--ideally in a neutral color temp. Having lots of light can make it easier to see your parts, and help with painting if you're going that route.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    For a slightly different direction, I highly recommend this for a desk lamp. The arm isn't that long, so if you want a lot of freedom you'll need to look elsewhere, but it has enough articulation for me that it's worked out well (if anyone is super curious I can post a photo or two of my work space later on). It has brightness and temperature settings you can cycle through, allowing you to get a proper daylight look or something more sterile (seeing your work under a variety of conditions will always be great!). Bonus that this makes it a nice support lamp for any photography you want to do since the easy adjustment is delightful for a fill light.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Not exactly Gundam, but I don't care: Mechatro CHUNK

Renzo on
  • Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    I don't have any suggestions for a magnification system, but I looked up headband magnifiers and got tons of results, so there's no shortage of options. You got me thinking I should get one for myself. Enough craning my neck and getting my face right up on whatever I'm working on.

I actually realized my parents left some of their cheapo Rite-Aid reading glasses at my place the last time they visited, and they actually seem to fit the bill pretty well for what i'm looking for, you might want to give that a try. If I was going on long building sprees I'd probably want something with a bit larger focal length so I don't have to concentrate on maintaining the perfect distance quite so much, but for all the longer I usually have in the evenings these seem like they will work fine.

Our techs at work use these, which in theory would be perfect, but I just can't get used to the lens being free-floating between me and what i'm working on.

• Options
    While my Zock is taking way much more time than expected (seam line removal with plastic glue; don't use Citadel Plastic Glue because that discoloured my plastic a bit, so I need to file a bit more) I just wanted to build something, without expert nub removal, filing, panel lining or top coating; just build for the fun of it.

So here I present "Little Brother": SDCS01: RX-78-2 SD Cross Silhouette:
    ey0zvivp27rh.jpg
    And here is he next to the possible "Littlest Brother":
    90hlcs2gmmjv.jpg
    Nice things about the kit:
    - Very fun build
    - The Cross Silhouette version has elbow and knee joints as opposed to the SD frame version (hence the kneeling position in the first picture)
    - The option for regular eyes instead of SD Big Eyes (I will never use SD Big Eyes)
    - Very detailed head
    - You can attach the shield on the back!
    Less nice things about the kit:
    - Come on, a pure white beam saber?
    - Stickers for the cross on the shield (I painted them with the Mettalic Gold Gundam Marker on my version; I only used the V-crotch sticker)

So Bandai, you can make a perfectly detailed head, but the teensy extra plastic for a yellow cross on the shield, and as the visor for the beam gun, and an actual beam saber was just too much?

• Options
    Yeah the SDXS line seems to have some weird cost cutting measures throughout. The beam saber thing is a constant across the line. But then the Zaku comes with a separate clear yellow piece for the heat hawk blade so :rotate:

I still think they're overall pretty good though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Still need attach the shoulder pads, but some loyal Zeon foot soldiers are nearly ready to go.

8HpttXp.jpg

• Options
    Last thread, @Heffling recommended some sanding pads, mentioning that they were expensive for what you got. Well, I got the urge to build this weekend (the back-ordered gundam markers are never going to come into the local store, I swear), and I decided I wanted to try to file.

I was worried getting the pads because they looked huge. Um... looks can be deceiving. I'm pretty sure these are made by the same manufacturer, even though they are $10 for 6 pads at Hobby Lobby...

bElhYMCh.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to do this and make it look good, versus the hobby knife method I've been using so far.

Any pointers?