As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: Hi gay, I’m Dad!

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited April 2019 in Social Entropy++
This is the thread for “alternative sexualities and identities” so stuff like being gay, bi, trans, and so on. People who are questioning are also more than welcome to post about however much of their issues they feel like sharing.

Being a thread for queer folks, bad faith posting will absolutely not be tolerated. Non-queer people can post, of course, but be mindful and courteous. We want a welcoming and supportive thread, so just behave yourself, okay?

Also, I’m trans and gay. How about you???

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Arizona Iced Tea is a true ally, the best deal in the sugar water game

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    I'm abroad for a few more hours (have been in Europe since the 1st) and hey if you're in Bergen, Norway for some reason this month or the next, there's a really cool exhibit on Norwegian queer nightlife going on at the maritime museum

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Oh and I saw this girl that I was best friends with as a wee bab and had not seen in 14 years and guess what she's hella gay and we were like

Oh no

We did NOT bang because she had some medical stuff going on but we did make eyes at each other a lot and hold hands and watch a movie together so that was real nice

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Hi I am a queer bisexual polyamorous transgender woman with glittery purple/pink nails. :)
    w47x1ep5x8sz.jpg

Stick me in your mouth and taste the pink unicorns. :P :tell_me_more:

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Oh and I saw this girl that I was best friends with as a wee bab and had not seen in 14 years and guess what she's hella gay and we were like

Oh no

We did NOT bang because she had some medical stuff going on but we did make eyes at each other a lot and hold hands and watch a movie together so that was real nice

making eyes is the best

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Saw a trans person on my walk home from work (i just moved to the area). Was gonna say hi, but wussed out. Not sure how i'd feel about someone approaching to say HI FELLOW TRAN, but couldnt think of any other way to word it.

Got home and realised i could have just said cool dress or something. Damnit.

Grog on
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    We need a secret hand signal

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    15. Can I be operated on if I am overweight?

Your weight and diet can significantly influence your healing, the results of your surgery, your ability to take care of yourself. It is preferable to have attained a healthy weight by the time of your surgery (a BMI between 18.5 and 25). If your BMI is below or above the normal range, your situation will be assessed and you will be informed of your possibilities for surgery. GRS Montréal can direct you to resources that can help you achieve your weight loss or weight gain goals.

I gotta lose forty pounds this is bullshit Hurghlahfhaha

Rainfall on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Hello, new thread! Lesbian trans lady reporting in!

So, I'm not entirely sure why I did this, but I wrote up a pre-transition timeline summary for myself. I've felt stuck dwelling on the past way more than usual the last few days, to the point of having a hard time concentrating on anything, so I guess this is a way to try and get it out of my system. Maybe it'll resonate with somebody, I dunno.
    1988 - My birth year, for the sake of attaching ages to these dates. I don't really show any obvious trans symptoms in my early childhood. If I really try to go over it in retrospect there are probably some minor signs here and there, but nothing that I or anybody else really thought about.

~2000 - I have a dream where I'm a girl. This piques my curiosity on the subject. I try to replicate the dream to little avail. These are the earliest trans thoughts that I was actually cognizant of.

Summer 2001 - Curiosity gives way to obsession. I'm fantasizing about being female regularly now.

2002 - My first year of high school. The daydreams are unrelenting. I still haven't really figured out what it means, but I don't resist the thoughts.

Autumn 2003 - I stumble across some trans-adjacent media, which helps to focus my thoughts on the subject a bit. I fully come to grips with the direness of my situation and go spiraling into a depression which will get steadily worse over the next ten years.

Early 2004 - Dysphoria worsens, with body hair being the worst of it. I can barely walk down the hallways at school without wincing. Aside from a couple of old friends I try to avoid talking to anyone, doing anything socially, or drawing any attention of any kind.

Summer 2004 - I can't take it anymore and shave my legs for the first time one night while everyone else is out of the house. When my parents find out the next day their first reaction is to get upset and yell at me. I resolve never to talk to anyone about my real feelings.

Early 2005 - I start playing World of Warcraft. My main is a female Night Elf druid. I join a guild of people who only know me through my character, and it becomes the only feminine social outlet I'll ever have pre-transition.

2006 - First year of college. Despite my best efforts I'm trapped in an all-male dorm, which is awful, but beyond that I'm doing a bit better than usual emotionally. I've convinced myself that some miraculous turn of events might somehow save me or give me some sort of direction in life, and college is the most likely place it is to happen. I meet a couple of new friends and have at least a vague wisp of a social life.

2009 - I stop playing World of Warcraft after most of the people I knew quit or splintered off into other guilds. Nothing replaces its role as the one place where I feel like people see me as something resembling my real self.

2010 - I graduate without the tiniest glimmer of hope for the future. I move back home with my family.

2011 - I work on applying to grad schools but don't go through with it. I lose contact with all of what few friends I had except for one or two and see them very rarely.

2012 - Nothing. Absolutely nothing happens.

2013 - The very first "Ask me about being transgender" thread appears. It is the first scrap of direct, honest information about what it means to transition I've ever seen. It still all feels out of reach in a hundred different ways, but it helps at least a little. I follow the threads obsessively when they're up and fall deeper into despair when they're closed. (Unrelated, I'm also taking online courses in a new field during this time.)

2014 - I get my first real full-time job and move into my own apartment. I literally never leave the house for anything other than work or groceries. Continuing to read stories in the trans threads improves my thoughts about transitioning from "it's probably impossible/not good enough" to "it really would make me happier but I could never go through it alone".

March 2015 - Transgender Day of Visibility. I am jealous of every single picture I see without exception.

May 2015 - I can't take it anymore and resolve to transition no matter what happens.

December 2015 - First hormone dose!

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Rainfall wrote: »

Your weight and diet can significantly influence your healing, the results of your surgery, your ability to take care of yourself. It is preferable to have attained a healthy weight by the time of your surgery (a BMI between 18.5 and 25). If your BMI is below or above the normal range, your situation will be assessed and you will be informed of your possibilities for surgery. GRS Montréal can direct you to resources that can help you achieve your weight loss or weight gain goals.

My bmi was over 30 and my weight was never even brought up in my consult or during my stay at the hospital/convalescence center.
    My healing was pretty easy, and when I went for checkups he asked to take a picture for the office's records because I had exactly what he wanted to achieve when he operated.
    The only complication I had was that two of the codeine/oxy (I can't remember what it was) pills were too strong and left me light headed and dizzy, but I was fine with one pill.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I seriously question every time a doctor or medical requirement brings up weight as a thing

it's something doctors often obsess over, even when it has no relevance to why someone is seeking medical advice in the first place

this isn't an unknown thing

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

My bmi was over 30 and my weight was never even brought up in my consult or during my stay at the hospital/convalescence center.
    My healing was pretty easy, and when I went for checkups he asked to take a picture for the office's records because I had exactly what he wanted to achieve when he operated.
    The only complication I had was that two of the codeine/oxy (I can't remember what it was) pills were too strong and left me light headed and dizzy, but I was fine with one pill.

BMI 33, no issues. Definite side eye to the people who use weight as surgery contradindiator on it's own.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hello new queer thread!

"Bisexual" is my sole queer quality, but that's plenty because everybody wants the B. :winky:

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    wait actually surprisingly few people want the B

hmmm

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Hey thread!
    I'm Erin. I'm a trans woman and am poly and pan and tall and a huge goddamn dork

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Poly Pan sounds like a really queer alternative to Peter Pan, and now I'm sad that isn't a thing already.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Psykoma wrote: »

BMI 33, no issues. Definite side eye to the people who use weight as surgery contradindiator on it's own.

It can be, but generally only if someone is like...hundreds of pounds overweight. There is a definite tendency to act like people who are even minorly overweight are going to die on the table, it's really bizarre.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hey thread!
    I'm Erin. I'm a trans woman and am poly and pan and tall and a huge goddamn dork

Queer and Present Danger is an amazing phrase.

• Options
    Erin's Twitter handles are on-point

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Whenever one of these threads starts I like to go back to my first post of the previous one and see where I was at. Since the start of the last thread I have: come out as trans to my family, quit my job and moved cross-planet, seen a doctor, got a referral for hormones, met some other transmasc people for the first time, started seeing a therapist, and changed my name on my driving licence.

Shit feels really slow a lot of the time so it's nice to see I've actually made progress.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Also I start a college course on Friday, 1 day a week. I enrolled under my old name but when I go in on my first day I'm going to update my info with them and get a new ID card. This will be the first place where I use my new name with random people. So that's kind of terrifying. I need to email the tutor and let him know and it just feels so awkward.

• Options
    Dang the last thread started before I even came out... It's been a lot.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Poly Pan sounds like a really queer alternative to Peter Pan, and now I'm sad that isn't a thing already.

It is now.

• Options
    Dang the last thread started before I even came out... It's been a lot.

yeah, it's fucking wild how fast it comes at you at first

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Hey thread!

Queer and Present Danger is an amazing phrase.

<3<3
    Erin's Twitter handles are on-point

<3<3

I didn't think anybody paid attention to those haha

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I have been on a big queer reading binge for the last couple of weeks, but now I've run out of books. Anyone have any recommendations? I've mostly been in the mood for fluffy stuff, coming out stories, that sort of thing, but I'm just generally curious about what folks are reading, too.

Speaking of my reading list I got through most of The Well of Loneliness before finally stopping because it's kind of just super miserable all the time. But it's also super interesting as a bit of queer history. It became like a hugely influential lesbian novel and influenced a lot of future female queer writers. But reading it from a modern perspective it's almost shocking how clearly it describes a straight trans coming-of-age. Like usually there's always a bit of a cultural translation gap between historical concepts of gender and sexuality and our own, and so it can be tough to fully confidently say that like, ok so and so historical person was "gay" or "trans" or "lesbian", they might be close, they're certainly queer, but they're operating on a different social framework and so inherently it can't be a 1:1 translation. So it's kind of fascinating to read Radclyffe Hall and be like, oh, no, this really is 100% a modern trans viewpoint, she* is just lacking the vocabulary to describe it, or sometimes straight-up inventing that vocabulary to describe it.

*Speaking of vocabulary, Radclyffe Hall and her protagonist Stephen both use female pronouns. But then if it had been an option, if Hall had perceived it as an option, I have very little doubt they'd both be using "he." So then I end up awkwardly avoiding gendering Hall at all, because do you honor Hall's obvious gender identity, or Hall's own use of gendered female pronouns? One feels like misgendering and makes me uncomfortable, but the other is also super presumptuous. And then just using the non-gendered 'they' removes gender from the conversation entirely, which kind of flies in the face of Hall's entire point of writing The Well of Loneliness in the first place.

Anyway, an interesting book but not exactly one I'd recommend for fun reading.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    a safe girl to love is a collection of short stories by casey plett. not exactly warm and fuzzy, but i liked it for the range and variety.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Hi all I'm a trans lady and I think I might be gray-asexual. Not sure! Also: I'm sure about who I'm romantically attracted to as well. The uncertainty sucks but I have very supportive folks IRL and online. Yay!

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Hey I'm Izzy and I'm a bi trans lady.

Transition things are going slower than I would like.. but hey. Slow progress is progress all the same. I made it through the last decade hiding myself, I can last a few months more.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Your friendly neighborhood Hanged Man is still around, still bi, still trapped in goddamn Utah, and still not out in any meaningful way in my offline life.

But mostly on lurker mode in these parts for a month or so, because it's been a Season of Being Angry At Things, and I don't have tremendous faith in my ability to be a productive community member at the moment.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Heya new thread, it's me, Danielle.

I'm a demi poly lesbian trans woman and I am still here, world on fire be damned.
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Hello, new thread! Lesbian trans lady reporting in!

So, I'm not entirely sure why I did this, but I wrote up a pre-transition timeline summary for myself. I've felt stuck dwelling on the past way more than usual the last few days, to the point of having a hard time concentrating on anything, so I guess this is a way to try and get it out of my system. Maybe it'll resonate with somebody, I dunno.
    1988 - My birth year, for the sake of attaching ages to these dates. I don't really show any obvious trans symptoms in my early childhood. If I really try to go over it in retrospect there are probably some minor signs here and there, but nothing that I or anybody else really thought about.

~2000 - I have a dream where I'm a girl. This piques my curiosity on the subject. I try to replicate the dream to little avail. These are the earliest trans thoughts that I was actually cognizant of.

Summer 2001 - Curiosity gives way to obsession. I'm fantasizing about being female regularly now.

2002 - My first year of high school. The daydreams are unrelenting. I still haven't really figured out what it means, but I don't resist the thoughts.

Autumn 2003 - I stumble across some trans-adjacent media, which helps to focus my thoughts on the subject a bit. I fully come to grips with the direness of my situation and go spiraling into a depression which will get steadily worse over the next ten years.

Early 2004 - Dysphoria worsens, with body hair being the worst of it. I can barely walk down the hallways at school without wincing. Aside from a couple of old friends I try to avoid talking to anyone, doing anything socially, or drawing any attention of any kind.

Summer 2004 - I can't take it anymore and shave my legs for the first time one night while everyone else is out of the house. When my parents find out the next day their first reaction is to get upset and yell at me. I resolve never to talk to anyone about my real feelings.

Early 2005 - I start playing World of Warcraft. My main is a female Night Elf druid. I join a guild of people who only know me through my character, and it becomes the only feminine social outlet I'll ever have pre-transition.

2006 - First year of college. Despite my best efforts I'm trapped in an all-male dorm, which is awful, but beyond that I'm doing a bit better than usual emotionally. I've convinced myself that some miraculous turn of events might somehow save me or give me some sort of direction in life, and college is the most likely place it is to happen. I meet a couple of new friends and have at least a vague wisp of a social life.

2009 - I stop playing World of Warcraft after most of the people I knew quit or splintered off into other guilds. Nothing replaces its role as the one place where I feel like people see me as something resembling my real self.

2010 - I graduate without the tiniest glimmer of hope for the future. I move back home with my family.

2011 - I work on applying to grad schools but don't go through with it. I lose contact with all of what few friends I had except for one or two and see them very rarely.

2012 - Nothing. Absolutely nothing happens.

2013 - The very first "Ask me about being transgender" thread appears. It is the first scrap of direct, honest information about what it means to transition I've ever seen. It still all feels out of reach in a hundred different ways, but it helps at least a little. I follow the threads obsessively when they're up and fall deeper into despair when they're closed. (Unrelated, I'm also taking online courses in a new field during this time.)

2014 - I get my first real full-time job and move into my own apartment. I literally never leave the house for anything other than work or groceries. Continuing to read stories in the trans threads improves my thoughts about transitioning from "it's probably impossible/not good enough" to "it really would make me happier but I could never go through it alone".

March 2015 - Transgender Day of Visibility. I am jealous of every single picture I see without exception.

May 2015 - I can't take it anymore and resolve to transition no matter what happens.

December 2015 - First hormone dose!
    Writing down your thoughts like this can be really helpful in sorting them out - something about the act of expressing them in words, preserving them in a concrete form to look at from a distance, and freeing up those brain cycles sustaining them in active memory to better interpret them.
    It also just feels good to do, in my experience.

Cromarty on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Jon Rosenberg made a web comic. What is it doing here? It is entirely about a speculative fiction show, Doctor Whom MD PHD DFA, and not about the thread topic in any way. Oh well. Too late now. Sure I could edit it out and post something on-topic, but I just can't bring myself to do it for some reason. (warning: comic may contain distressing reminder for fans of Father Ted or the IT Crowd)

Also I predict that second panel getting a lot of use around the thread forum internet

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Following some of his hatemail led me down some really weird rabbit bigot holes, courtesy of incoherent ranting. I know why those groups develop their own weird slang terms (combination club house and dog whistling) but do they realise how totally batshit they sound to the rest of us when they trot them out, I wonder.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Going from "just asking questions" to full-blown terfy transphobia is perhaps one of the few actual slippery slopes in existence. Graham Linehan just did a cannonball straight into terfdom once given the opportunity.

And it is, of course, completely our fault for not coddling his insipid concern-trolling.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    It is less a slippery slope and more just dropping the just asking questions act.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    It's really disappointing because Graham Linehan wrote some of my favourite sitcoms.

• Options
    Emailed the tutor for my course and told him about the name change. Not sure what to do about pronouns though. I don't really care what people use at this point and if anyone asks I'm not sure what to say. If I'm lucky maybe it just won't come up.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Hey, I'm a trans something who wishes she had a name for herself.

I also think I might be bi but I never really had much chance to figure out my own sexuality. My lingering unease at being assigned male always made it difficult to form a connection.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    It's really disappointing because Graham Linehan wrote some of my favourite sitcoms.

Last time I saw him retweet some TERFy shit there were maybe two replies of lukewarm agreement and about 300 people telling him what a fucking idiot he was. So for what it's worth, he is not being allowed the comfort of an echo chamber.

(I only saw it in the first place because he gets retweeted by some Doctor Who alumni that I used to hold in high esteem. It's one of the reasons I deactivated my account recently, on top of all the other shit that Twitter does, it has just become a service for delivering highly granular disappointment in my heroes.)

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

This discussion has been closed.