As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[amiibos] The Great Restockening is Upon Us. Hie Thee to Target.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Link and Zelda get new ones to match their new designs.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Don't get me wrong -- I'd love updated Link and Zelda. But given the slower Amiibo pipeline and the Animal Crossing Amiibo fire sale I wouldn't expect it, since Nintendo's probably being more careful about not flooding the market. We're likely getting 20 or so new Amiibo from Smash as it is. And that'll probably be stretched out in waves over months, if not a year or so. I don't think it's a coincidence we've only seen Ridley, Wolf and Inkling Amiibo so far.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Amiibos are such an evil tease
    "Oh hai check all these amazing toys you've dreamt about for 30 years
    PSYCHE we're only making 5 of each and only remotely affordably to americans with lots of free time"

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I'd love to have a way to pay for access to the stuff they unlock in games without having to fill my house with plastic figurines. I bought the ones for the first Splatoon, and I bought the Smash For Mega Man just cause I loved their take on the classic character, but I don't really want all the different Link amiibo, yet I want all the stuff they give you in Breath of the Wild (like wolf Link as a companion animal).

Some people just don't want the clutter, but are more than happy to pay for experiences.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Honestly, for the vast majority of amiibo out there, if you're buying it now, you're getting it from a second hand seller. If you don't want the clutter, and you know the money isn't getting to Nintendo anyway, just get some NFC stickers. You could fit the entire Smash line in an Altoids tin.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    What are NFC stickers? How would they allow you to unlock things that are tied to specific Amiibo?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    They're the same tech as in the amiibo statues. If you have an NFC capable phone, you can get an app that can read n' write to blank NFC tags. You create an amiibo in the form of a sticker.

When the Anniversary Link amiibo was impossible to get, I ended up printing the sticker for that and putting it on a lil' pixel Link thing from Target. He got me some good stuff in BOTW! ;P

Oh brilliant
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Basically I am going to get the ones I missed out on and a repeat of one I am scared to open of the reissue of the smash ones

Why is the Goomba and Koopa trooper so expensive now? I know I was quite busy during the summer so I was unable to get them but what happened?

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    What are NFC stickers? How would they allow you to unlock things that are tied to specific Amiibo?

They have the same code as the amiibo NFC, but it sounds like stealing.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
      oh hell no, I bought a set of 18 LoZ related nfc stickers for the price of a single amiibo in Brazil.
      Best thing I did.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
      camo_sig2.png
      edited September 2018
      Huh, interesting.

Still, I wish there was an official alternative option. Like as DLC, or maybe cards with NFC stickers if they insist on having arbitrary physical world scarcity to obtain access to digital content.

H3Knuckles on
      camo_sig2-400.png
      TimFiji wrote: »
      H3Knuckles wrote: »

They have the same code as the amiibo NFC, but it sounds like stealing.

Oh it's totally stealing. But honestly, does it really matter? The value of an amiibo as a collectible is in the figure itself. If it was the NFC chip in the base with the real value, then try snapping the figure off and sell the base and see how many offers you get. The NFC chip unlocks DLC that has no monetary value because it is not sold. And like I said, with the exception of upcoming figure releases, all figures sold now are second hand, which Nintendo sees no money from anyway.

If someone doesn't even want the figure, I don't see the point in them giving money to some third party just to buy a toy they don't want that unlocks content that isn't sold.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
      Please don’t discuss workarounds to unlock nfc stuff. Similar as with piracy

YL9WnCY.png
    • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
      I checked again and my Solaire amiibo should be shipped to the right address. Excited for that one, I wonder if it'll be rare. I still keep an eye out for the OOT link but that one has gotten pricey for me.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
      Nintendo could probably get away with a Digital Amiibo setup, where you can buy Amiibo digitally and then pick one physical Amiibo to use as the trigger, so when you tap it, it opens your digital library of amiibo to choose from for the game you're playing. That sort of thing isn't in their wheelhouse though, so it'll never happen

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
      Not only is the Megaman 11 amiibo a Gamestop/EBGames exclusive, it's also apparently a preorder exclusive. My EB got in the exact number that they had preordered and there's no plans to get more. I was under the delusion that times have changed and I would be able to walk in and get the Megaman 11 amiibo edition easily. I'm a fool!

Now what? Do you think I can get a Japanese amiibo online for a decent price?

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      More Smash amiibo coming next year

b8e04vvan9eb.jpeg
      3l9w00nxvmtc.jpeg

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      Also Piranha Plant.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
      So far we're missing Dark Samus, Chrom, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Incineroar, Simon, Richter and Snake.

Not saying they won't be coming of course; it could just be that their prototypes aren't ready yet.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      cloudeagle wrote: »
      So far we're missing Dark Samus, Chrom, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Incineroar, Simon, Richter and Snake.

Not saying they won't be coming of course; it could just be that their prototypes aren't ready yet.

Would Squirtle and Ivysaur get their own? Aren’t they part of Pokémon Trainer?

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
      edited November 2018
      w5pxsq1kx10p.png
      :bzz:

Riokenn on
      OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      I need that new Daisy.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
      Young Link looks pretty good. Though, I'm not sure if my figure/plushie collection needs another Link. I'm definitely in for that Piranha Plant.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      I wish I could somehow set an alert to fire off when one of those loot goblins are available for pre-order.

urahonky wrote: »
      I wish I could somehow set an alert to fire off when one of those loot goblins are available for pre-order.

Your wish is my command.

urahonky wrote: »

Your wish is my command.

I created my account, but I'm not seeing the Loot Goblin just yet! But as soon as I do I hope it'll work. Thanks!

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      So if Master Hand is meant to be a real person playing with toys, is the World of Light trailer with the hundreds of master hands a metaphor for thr amiibo craze? :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
      @cloudeagle I owe you a coffee/beer! Of course they had a $5 shipping on it, but as long as I get it then I don't care!

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
      Warlock82 wrote: »
      So if Master Hand is meant to be a real person playing with toys, is the World of Light trailer with the hundreds of master hands a metaphor for thr amiibo craze? :3

It's the kid outgrowing his toys and throwing them in the trash.

Toy Story 3 crossover confirmed.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
      edited November 2018
      FYI, don't know how long this has been up but just noticed the Treasure Goblin amiibo is up for pre-order:
      https://www.gamestop.com/product/nintendo-switch/accessories/diablo-iii-loot-goblin-amiibo-only-at-gamestop/167755

Edit: Doh didn't see this was already posted. Guess it has been up awhile :P

Warlock82 on
      Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
      Neat thing in smash, amiibo for non-smash characters will still grant relevant spirits when scanned.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
      steam_sig.png
      According to the Amiibo news twitter account, it's looking like damn near every Smash Bros. Amiibo is being re-released. Keep your eyes open if you're seeking any out.

edited November 2018
      According to the Amiibo news twitter account, it's looking like damn near every Smash Bros. Amiibo is being re-released. Keep your eyes open if you're seeking any out.

I've kind of been noticing that. Suddenly places are starting to get a lot of stock of random old ones (notably Best Buy since I monitor that page for updates :P )

I'm super hopeful we can get some more "Player 2" versions of characters like Female Robin, Male WFT, Alph, Female Villager, etc etc etc. Mostly I just want Female Robin :3

Warlock82 on
      Yeah, I saw brand new butter-stick Links at Gamestop the other day. It's kinda funny how pricey he got on the used market just because of his BOTW unlock. I just feel bad for anyone who spent so much money on something so ugly.

They also had Smash Samus, who I recall being semi-hard to find for a while, but never super expensive.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
      Awesome, might need to pick up Smash Zelda just for her BoTW bow drop, though we don't fire it up that often any more.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
      PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
      Do we know if that new Young Link is going to be store exclusive and what the actual date is (because dec 2019 seems unlikely, and I know that's just the default placeholder)?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
      Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
      Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Do we know if that new Young Link is going to be store exclusive and what the actual date is (because dec 2019 seems unlikely, and I know that's just the default placeholder)?

Not yet. My guess is maybe late spring or summer, considering the first two waves of Smash Amiibo are booked for December and February, there's still a number of Smash Amiibo that haven't been revealed and I'd be surprised if Nintendo would want to stretch out the Smash waves much longer than a year.