As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    On a whim, I was bored this weekend and started reading the fiction in the core set then first cycle inserts. To my delight, I find it really fun.

So, today I discover that there is also fiction on FFG’s site. Am I correct in understanding this is also canon and not printed elsewhere?

Is everything intended to be read chronologically from publish on website / pack release date?

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Dark White wrote: »
    On a whim, I was bored this weekend and started reading the fiction in the core set then first cycle inserts. To my delight, I find it really fun.

So, today I discover that there is also fiction on FFG’s site. Am I correct in understanding this is also canon and not printed elsewhere?

Is everything intended to be read chronologically from publish on website / pack release date?

Yes. I believe there was a compilation pdf released for the Imperial cycle at some point as well, and there is a master list on the official forums.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yup. All the fiction is cumulative. It will often reference where it is in the story.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ooh. Read the tea leaves time.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/22/sun-and-shadows/

Short summary:

Product to be announced on October 10th is neither a new cycle or a clan pack. Something new.

The next two clan packs are slated for Unicorn and Crane!

And all the remaining clan packs are slated to be out before the end of 2019.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would assume a proper deluxe.

edited August 2018
    admanb wrote: »
    I would assume a proper deluxe.

I am hoping for a story box like Terminal Directive.

Athenor on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Obviously it should be a Mantis Faction Pack, with a stronghold and dynasty/conflict cards.

However much I enjoy doing mercenary work for the Uni right now... the boss is calling...

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited August 2018
    Athenor on

Oh hey, art sleeves with the card backs on them.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Finally. The card back art is beautiful and I hate covering it up with some flat color like I’ve been doing. I would also accept faction specific icons or scenes.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I am amazed. This is exactly what I wanted them to make but didn't think they ever would!

I am amazed. This is exactly what I wanted them to make but didn't think they ever would!

I hope they are getting better about this kind of thing. Netrunner never got them officially, though at its height another company made ones very close. But now, we're seeing things like playmats for upcoming games.

Speaking of support, I finally got ahold of the Honored Duel mat. It's bigger than I expected! But, at the same time, it's got a strange printing error on it. A roller screwed up, so it has a couple smear lines. But... it almost looks like it is part of the design! I had to double and triple check it. The lady at the store couldn't exchange it for me (she works for FFG customer support as well), but she did say they'll help out once they get more in stock.

Oh hey, looks like some spoilers are starting to get sent out. Soshi Aoi

persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Just give me the RPG already!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    What was that website that catalogues all the tournament decks?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    persona4celestia.jpg
    That crab card is going to SUUUUCK for us Unicorn. =/

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Can't be worse than the Unicorn cards B)B)B) B)B)B )B)B)B)B)B)B)B)B)BB)

liEt3nH.png
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I signed up for an event tomorrow despite not having played literally AT ALL this entire last cycle and I have no idea what to play or what is good as a result.

Help me people. Someone tell me what the deal is with Crane atm.

edited September 2018
    Oh hey, a bunch of stuff just changed over to Shipping Now on the Upcoming release schedule.

The full RPG Core, Dice, GM Kit, Underhand of the Emperor, and the Scorpion novel. They havn't put release dates on them yet, but should be in the next couple of weeks?

EDIT: I just realized that in two weeks it’s October 10’th, when they’re supposed to be announcing that mystery LCG product. I assume it’s related to the third cycle in some way.

Actually, I kind of wonder if they’re changing formats on the cycles. Like if they’ve decided to just bundle a entire cycle together in one box.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited September 2018
    Oh shit new RRG.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/95/ea/95eab8a3-1149-4398-bcad-40a2d87be600/l5c01-online_rulesreference_v16.pdf

Oh hey Hawk Tattoo errata so it can only attach to characters you control.

Also First Player is randomly decided now? And you no longer get extra Fate for going second?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh hey, a bunch of stuff just changed over to Shipping Now on the Upcoming release schedule.

The full RPG Core, Dice, GM Kit, Underhand of the Emperor, and the Scorpion novel. They havn't put release dates on them yet, but should be in the next couple of weeks?

EDIT: I just realized that in two weeks it’s October 10’th, when they’re supposed to be announcing that mystery LCG product. I assume it’s related to the third cycle in some way.

Actually, I kind of wonder if they’re changing formats on the cycles. Like if they’ve decided to just bundle a entire cycle together in one box.

My bet on mystery LCG product: Multiplayer Box with official rules and cards dedicated to the format and/or Mantis box.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    So I think first player is the best choice now except when you know you won't be passing first?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So I think first player is the best choice now except when you know you won't be passing first?

You still get a TON of information going second and can react to your opponent.

Oh my god.

I was just in Minnesota earlier this month for the Netrunner finals.

Do.. Do I... go back for L5R Worlds?

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/9/26/glories-of-the-winter-court/

DO IT.

And goddamn do I want that silver Yoritomo.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Yeah, but it'll be EXPENSIVE! And even splitting my hotel 3 ways + gas was super expensive last time...

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Honestly going second is still an advantage, because you get first shot at any fate on rings. Scorpion and Crab and some other defensive decks are quite happy taking only one or no rings in the first round and scooping a lot of fate in the second.

Those prizes are definitely nice. All the art prints are pretty gorgeous. Also oh FFG, you and your prize walls.

edited September 2018
    Huh, not bad, actually went 2-1 today at a event.

Go figure, actually do decent when you play a solid deck and not just to try to cram a lot of jank in it.

Gotta love having Shahai cast three Force of the Rivers in one turn.

(Crane ended up winning, and who I barely lost to.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Also, in case anyone needs some extra core sets, Amazon US is doing their thing and you can get them for $18.95.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Also if anyone remembers about the L5R Minicrate line and that it was coming, Privateer put up some concept art and WIP 3D sculpts for some of the future ones.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    That fucking picture of Matt I just cannot even.

edited October 2018
    New fiction day: A Simple Test.

AKA: Your daily reminder that Aramoro is kind of a dick.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited October 2018
    We have our first "premium" product - $40. It's not a campaign, but it introduces the last year's story events into the game.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/10/children-of-the-empire/

76 unique cards (3-of), and 6 one-ofs.

It introduces Composure - a state you are in if your honor dial is lower than your opponent's.

l5c16_cardfan_a1.png

l5c16-a1-student-of-war.pngl5c16-a1-social-puppeteer.png

They have cleaned up the templating on Duels - there are some duels where your opponent picks the defender, but this new template seems to be where you pick both sides. It is definitely space saving.

l5c16-a1-courtly-challenger.pngl5c16-a1-honest-challenger.png

And dial manipulation is becoming a bigger deal as a result.

l5c16-a1-mirumoto-daisho.png

Also, cards will reflect the fiction that has been written:

l5c16-a1-in-defense-of-rokugan.jpg

l5c16-a1-subdue-the-spirtis.png

Including the Emerald Magistrate.

l5c16-a1-akodo-toturi.png

Athenor on
    Hmm, a focus on dueling you say?

The Crane clan welcomes this news.

persona4celestia.jpg
    What were the clan letters like in the earlier game? Also, think this will be the only one?

I do not think it will be the only one, no.
    This is just the first of seven letters from the Clan Champions. Join us every Wednesday and Friday for additional letters as we prepare for a most contentious Winter Court!

Generally, they were like that. When you registered for a Imperial Assembly subscription, you picked a faction to align with. And every so often you’d get a letter in the mail talking about future plans for the faction.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Ahh. Somehow I completely missed that.