As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NYC Comicon

Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
Hi all! I'm going to NYC Comicon this year with my niece. we're going as Hopper and 11 from stranger things and I might post a pic afterwards if you're good.

anyway, I've been to pax several times before so I'm familiar with big cons in general, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/tips for NYC Comicon in general. Should we line up before the convention center opens? do we need to?

We want to see the lady who plays Michonne talk (Danai Gurira), do we need to line up early for this? She's also doing paid autographs, if I want to shell out for this does this need to be lined up for as well or do they just do them until everyone's who's willing to pay is done?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Hi all! I'm going to NYC Comicon this year with my niece. we're going as Hopper and 11 from stranger things and I might post a pic afterwards if you're good.

anyway, I've been to pax several times before so I'm familiar with big cons in general, but I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/tips for NYC Comicon in general. Should we line up before the convention center opens? do we need to?

We want to see the lady who plays Michonne talk (Danai Gurira), do we need to line up early for this? She's also doing paid autographs, if I want to shell out for this does this need to be lined up for as well or do they just do them until everyone's who's willing to pay is done?

I took my son to Wizard World in Chicago last month for our first comic convention. The biggest names had limited times they were willing to take pictures or sign autographs for and sold out in advance. Others were there all day long. I'm not sure where Danai Gurira would fall, but my guess would be that when you factor in Black Panther in addition to TWD she'd be on the more in demand/less willing to hang around forever end.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    NYC Comic-Con is the most crowded con I’ve ever been to, and I have been to PAX. It’s got too many people for the space available. I guess turning up early might help.

• Options
    that makes sense! I don't see a way to pre-pay for an autograph so I'm guessing we'll need to line up early and then shell out

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

I go every year for maybe the past 6 or 7. I don't dress up, but I go and take pictures.

I do typically recommend getting there in advance of opening. Not too early, but like 15-30 minutes before opening? Assuming you already have your pass and do not need to go to will call. They do the whole bag check/metal detector thing outside.

Early is better because the later you go in the day, the more challenging it will be to walk around. The least amount of people is right at opening and right before closing, of course.

Not sure about the panels or whatever; I literally never go to those - I just walk around and capture the event photographically. But from what I've heard, queuing up relatively early for the things you absolutely do want to attend is a good idea.

I'll be there on Thurs if you're around that day and feel like pinging me.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    NYC Comic-Con is the most crowded con I’ve ever been to, and I have been to PAX. It’s got too many people for the space available. I guess turning up early might help.

Yeah, even on Thursday it's...well, it tests my patience after an hour or two, I'll say that much.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    we're just doing sat but thanks

yeah I am expecting it to be mega crowded but she's a youngish girl who's never been to a nerd convention so I think she'll like it a lot

so I'll just do some breathing exercises