As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Welcome! Everything is fine. [The Good Place][OPEN SPOILERS]

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Having all the ladies falling over the Asian guy who is also a doofus and actually pretty cut is probably the single most unique aspect of this show.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    He's a ding dong, but also a straight hottie.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    He makes the bass drop... in my heart.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Blackjack wrote: »

Every part of that thread is fantastic

And I'm going to be the guy who disagrees and says the Earth they're going through is real.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    OH

I just noticed

I'm watching the last two episodes of the season again because I do that sometimes, and just before the boner truck crashes into the carts you can see a truck with Tahani's sister on the side with the words "KAMILAH PERFECT," five stars, and some text underneath I can juuuuust about make out but not quite

Not there in the season 1 version of her death

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    My dumb prediction for where this series ultimately ends up is that Janet becomes God and Michael is put in charge of a new afterlife

Speed Racer on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    ceres wrote: »
    OH

I just noticed

I'm watching the last two episodes of the season again because I do that sometimes, and just before the boner truck crashes into the carts you can see a truck with Tahani's sister on the side with the words "KAMILAH PERFECT," five stars, and some text underneath I can juuuuust about make out but not quite

there are three superlatives, followed by "probably the best album of all time"

I think the middle word is astounding

edit: it's also in the background at -14:53 and while the runaway carts are about to hit her.

Tamin on
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    My dumb prediction for where this series ultimately ends up is that Janet becomes God and Michael is put in charge of a new afterlife

I actually think Janet already is God

Or at least some weird version of God

She's omnipotent and omniscient and omnipresent

Its just that she's distributed instead of one bieng

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

The difference to me is that until now no Janet has had feelings or will. This one has developed from being programmed to make humans happy to legitimately caring about people and having a vested interest in their happiness

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

The difference to me is that until now no Janet has had feelings or will. This one has developed from being programmed to make humans happy to legitimately caring about people and having a vested interest in their happiness

Right

But the system they're operating in has no interest in the happiness of humans, not really. Its a completely heartless system. So I actually wouldn't be surprised if "Janet Prime" was the person who designed the system

Anyway, not saying I am like 100% right but I do think that's where its going

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    In Judaism Michael defends Israel and the Jews against death and destruction, and is their advocate before God. At the last minute he substitutes a ram for Isaac in that whole binding messiness, saving him, and rescues people from furnaces. He saves lives at the last minute, offering sudden reprieve or a chance to reconsider one's actions. He and other angels questioned God and he was the only one who didn't burn. I really like that way of thinking about Michael in the show, as the archangel from Jewish lore.

I'm guessing that Janet is a reference to Paul Janet, French moral philosopher who wrote a bunch of essays with titles like "The Philosophy of Happiness" and "Stephansfeld - Characters And Treatment Of Madness." Also a book called "Final Causes," which appears to be about causality. I tried to read some of it but my eyes glazed over after a whole page about how the stomach can digest anything but itself. Anyway he was big into Kant.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I don't care he's speaking English, I just want an in universe explanation for why he doesn't sound either Senegalese or Australian. "Because Simulation" is something I can go with.

Oh well I can
    In Judaism Michael defends Israel and the Jews against death and destruction, and is their advocate before God. At the last minute he substitutes a ram for Isaac in that whole binding messiness, saving him, and rescues people from furnaces. He saves lives at the last minute, offering sudden reprieve or a chance to reconsider one's actions. He and other angels questioned God and he was the only one who didn't burn. I really like that way of thinking about Michael in the show, as the archangel from Jewish lore.

I'm guessing that Janet is a reference to Paul Janet, French moral philosopher who wrote a bunch of essays with titles like "The Philosophy of Happiness" and "Stephansfeld - Characters And Treatment Of Madness." Also a book called "Final Causes," which appears to be about causality. I tried to read some of it but my eyes glazed over after a whole page about how the stomach can digest anything but itself. Anyway he was big into Kant.

Guess he never heard about ulcers.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.

Guess he never heard about ulcers.

Or spent five minutes talking to Chidi :P

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Ironically, Paul Janet died due to complications involving severe ulcers.

That's not true but it wouldn't it be perfect?

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

Right

But the system they're operating in has no interest in the happiness of humans, not really. Its a completely heartless system. So I actually wouldn't be surprised if "Janet Prime" was the person who designed the system

Anyway, not saying I am like 100% right but I do think that's where its going

Designing this system would have taken forever with a clickwheel.

• statlerstatler Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

statler on
    qy85xdkddou7.png
    Notably (to me alone, probably), when Michael gives Abraham a ram in place of Isaac, he moves to save not only Isaac, but Abraham as well. Isaac's life is saved, but so is Abraham's soul. Some say that Abraham raising his hand to kill Isaac is a testament to his faith, but I'm with those who see the need for the stay of his hand is proof of Abraham's failure. Judaism as it's been since at least the time of this kind of writing (a long damn time ago) has emphasized the preservation of life over observance of commandments. Saving Isaac the way he was saved gave Abraham the chance to reconsider his actions and do the actual right thing which is not to get as far as killing your child and most of your family forever goddamn.

This is 100% my understanding and opinion and little to do with what the show's writers were probably thinking, but I find it a really neat parallel and both Michaels are my favorite.

Anyway I was up till like 2:30am last night reading about particle physics and moral philosophy, and delving into some pretty old midrashim because of Ted Danson. Thanks, Obama.

This morning it occurred to me out of nowhere that when Janet met Michael again she said she had to learn to do a lot of bad things really quickly, so she did! Earlier in the episode she happened to have a marbleized Janet to toss around, and that could have been a fake marble, but I think it's more likely that she used the fastest method she had to adjust her programming and grow, and killed herself.

So maybe the marbleized Janet she tossed to Michael was actually her, and everything she said about herself that led up to it was true: she was wandering around being polite and couldn't stop, so she marbleized herself and learned to be mean. She would have had the thing around anyway, and it would have made it much easier on her to maintain the facade if she had to tell as few lies as possible. If that were the case she may not have had to lie at all, just be be really really mean, and she's still unable to lie.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I understand. If she was the marble how could she also be Janet?

Janets cant recover from marbling they only reset if you use their kill switch which she no longer has .She literally learned how to act in a desperate effort to save Micheal

See, I thought that would break her, like it did the other one. I don't know why I didn't remember about the process being permanent, but it certainly makes the scenario a lot less dark. She is basically Metatron.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    See, I thought that would break her, like it did the other one. I don't know why I didn't remember about the process being permanent, but it certainly makes the scenario a lot less dark. She is basically Metatron.

It would have, if she hadn't been killed/restarted so many times. She's a pretty unique being at this point, and probably can't be flatly compared to other, Janet Mk1's

Javen on
    Javen wrote: »

It would have, if she hadn't been killed/restarted so many times. She's a pretty unique being at this point, and probably can't be flatly compared to other, Janet Mk1's

That's one of the reasons I still wonder if she couldn't have done the marbleizing. Like maybe she doesn't need her switch anymore.

I figured she gave a Bad Janet a Good Janet outfit and marbled her.

camo_sig2.png

I think it's safe to say Janets that malfunction are meant to be destroyed immediately the reboot seems to be there solely as a temporary safety thing for humans.

It’s also possible that the big flashing “I HAVE BEEN MURDERED” signal in the sky was just an additional torture thing Michael added. The reboot isn’t of course but the signal may be.

camo_sig2.png

This was my initial assumption but no matter what she's learned to act like or how, I doubt she's got it in her to do that.

I assumed it was the Bad Janet that Michael had marbled.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My assumption was that Janet just created a fake Good Janet Marble out of thin air.

edited February 2018

This was my initial assumption but no matter what she's learned to act like or how, I doubt she's got it in her to do that.

Janet obeys some variation of the 3 laws though and if a conflict between her self preservation rule and her protect human/Micheal rule came up she might find a loophole. Like marbling a Janet but not throwing her into a black hole or whater might be a cheat to allow her to do it

King Riptor on
    My assumption was that Janet just created a fake Good Janet Marble out of thin air.

It's just such a bald-faced lie. I'm used to thinking about Janet as someone who can't do these things without causing damage to herself or others. As she grows from a product of structure to autonomous agent it's hard to tell how self-actualization will override programming, and how much of what used to be programming is actually part of whatever it is she's becoming. Maybe she can't lie because of her programming and she'll never be able to fully rewrite that, or maybe she won't be able to bring herself to lie because she's an individual who think's it's fundamentally wrong. Programming and morals don't... necessarily look all that different I guess.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So as the second season just released on Netflix and the third season is almost two weeks away, I started rewatching the series and my favorite single piece of comedic acting in the show might be Chidi screaming NO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yw94O6-DFE

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Oh man this premier was great
    "I Crumb From a Land Down Under" was delightful. Maybe my favorite part was Janet trying out "Mommy" and "Daddy"

I'm so excited for this season.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    That was a great start to the season. Too many good parts to mention at once, but Jason's plot got the most laughs out of me. I knew he wasn't going to win that dance-off as soon as the MC talked about perfect scores, but the reasons for their disqualifications were *mwah*

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying this version of Eleanor. She's got less of a fighting against herself thing going on this time around and more of an almost zen thing. Like, whatever happens Imma roll with it, I know I'm a dirtbag but I'm working on it. Also really appreciate that they started her and Tahani out on a positive note (still pulling for those two to get together tbh)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I'm really enjoying this version of Eleanor. She's got less of a fighting against herself thing going on this time around and more of an almost zen thing. Like, whatever happens Imma roll with it, I know I'm a dirtbag but I'm working on it. Also really appreciate that they started her and Tahani out on a positive note (still pulling for those two to get together tbh)

Definitely, everything that has happened to the gang since Michael intervened on Earth the first time has lead to a dynamic that can hit the ground running, rather than all the Day 1 resets. As for the bolded, setting up Chidi with a new love interest (and a pretty cool one at that) seems to be leaving that possibility on the table, but we'll see.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Definitely, everything that has happened to the gang since Michael intervened on Earth the first time has lead to a dynamic that can hit the ground running, rather than all the Day 1 resets. As for the bolded, setting up Chidi with a new love interest (and a pretty cool one at that) seems to be leaving that possibility on the table, but we'll see.

Chidi and Jason both have potential outs yeah (although I have no idea how I feel about Jason and Janet given how much Janet has grown as a ...janet since they got married)

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So something that seems to be overlooked:
    People who say jif instead of gif go to the bad place.As they should.