As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Welcome! Everything is fine. [The Good Place][OPEN SPOILERS]

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So something that seems to be overlooked:
    People who say jif instead of gif go to the bad place.As they should.

Yeah my first thought when that happened was "hoo boy she's got a lot of work to do yet"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Im curious
    I wonder if Trent came back earlier than we think and caused the crew to slip by causing the accidents and such.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Im curious
    I wonder if Trent came back earlier than we think and caused the crew to slip by causing the accidents and such.
    Honestly I kind of hope not. Because realistically it's hard to make such extreme personal life changes by yourself, "cold turkey" as it were. Their backslides all felt pretty natural and reinforce the idea that you need support, that becoming better is more effective when you have a community. Fits into the sort of rehab theme of the show and the Michael Schur's oeuvre in general really. I don't think they need an external factor there.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So either Gen is going to stay incredibly uninterested in this experiment ("Oh hey, what's Trevor doing there?"), or she's using her reserved right to change her mind at any time to let the Bad and Good Place people interfere to keep it balanced.
    I'm guessing it's that, as we'll need a way for Michael and Janet to interact with them a bit more.
    Would Michael count as working for the Good Place now? I think he pretty effectively quit his old job.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    klemming wrote: »
    So either Gen is going to stay incredibly uninterested in this experiment ("Oh hey, what's Trevor doing there?"), or she's using her reserved right to change her mind at any time to let the Bad and Good Place people interfere to keep it balanced.
    I'm guessing it's that, as we'll need a way for Michael and Janet to interact with them a bit more.
    Would Michael count as working for the Good Place now? I think he pretty effectively quit his old job.
    Yeah what I see happening is she notices in, like episode 3 that the whole thing is tainted and move to shut it down but Michael convinces her to let it continue so long as both sides get involvement, turning it into an almost literal angel and devil fighting for their souls scenario. And then in episode 4 something else happens and completely changes the premise again

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I was way too excited when Trevor walked in

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    A looooooot of these episode were really sweaty and contrived, but it pushed things into a place i'm really excited for so whatever

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    also i am glad that they're finally acknowledging the fact that they've been writing Chidi as someone with a severe mental illness for a while now

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    lt makes the point system even more problematic as well.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    lt makes the point system even more problematic as well.

I never even considered that.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I sort of feel like most of the run of the show has been about how the point system is total bunkus.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I just realized the weird symmetry of Tahani becoming a monk

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Simone is an amazing new addition to this show.

So, I'm wondering:
    What the rules are on demons going to Earth.
    Michael explicitly said he was changing the timeline, so they can go back in time.
    And the Bad Place is pissed that he's doing this, and trying to interfere.
    And all four humans started to get better, until something happened to put them back into old habits.
    I'm thinking Trevor wasn't the first demon to interfere here, at least chronologically.

So, I'm wondering:
    Michael explicitly said he was changing the timeline, so they can go back in time.
    And all four humans started to get better, until something happened to put them back into old habits.
    I'm thinking Trevor wasn't the first demon to interfere here, at least chronologically.

Judge Gen said, last season, that Eleanor et al was the first case she'd had to hear in 30 years (presumably Mindy St. Claire was the prior), and the doorman said that he'd been waiting several thousand to hear a joke. I get the feeling that the afterlife has just been a giant bureaucracy, chugging along mindlessly, for some time. Demon intervention on Earth would be odd.

Narbus wrote: »
    So, I'm wondering:

Judge Gen said, last season, that Eleanor et al was the first case she'd had to hear in 30 years (presumably Mindy St. Claire was the prior), and the doorman said that he'd been waiting several thousand to hear a joke. I get the feeling that the afterlife has just been a giant bureaucracy, chugging along mindlessly, for some time. Demon intervention on Earth would be odd.
    Yeah, but they're doing it right now.
    And if Michael can go back in time in the first place to save them, others could go back to mess with them.
    Just because they haven't done it yet doesn't matter (time travel ftw).

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    They also hacked her system so that could be related.

Also, if this show has one single, overriding theme, it's that being a good person is a hard, complicated, life long process with no easy answers. "You'd be a good person if only demons would stop being rude" would run exactly counter to every other episode of the show, and it'd be much lazier writing than this show delivers.

Yeah it felt more abrupt with the other three because of how much more abbreviated their stories were but Eleanor's was incredibly straightforward and real. Being good by its nature comes without reward and once the thrill of a fresh start and finally soothing her conscience wore off, the difficulty and frustration started to set in and she decided to give up. No outside influence needed, the world does that all on its own and she had basically zero real support network.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I definitely think that the point system being bullshit has been seeded from the very beginning

as soon as we met eleanors parents something went off in my head saying "oh god she never had a chance" and I think part of Michaels point to Gen. Eleanors upbringing gave her a huge shove in the wrong direction, but could she become a good person with a small shove in the right one?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    If there wasn't any other interference, then as soon as Judge Gen finds out what Michael did, she'll probably rule that Team Cockroach have already failed the test, and they're going to the Bad Place.
    If it's okay for Michael to give them a push without ruining the concept of the show, then the demons can push back.

As for the point system, I won't be surprised if it turns out that the Good Place is empty or something. I'm betting they're going to get in there with at least one season left to go.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    A looooooot of these episode were really sweaty and contrived, but it pushed things into a place i'm really excited for so whatever
    Dropping everything and just straight-up moving to another country on what can be assumed is barely-above minimum wage pay is very believable.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I agree with the judge, Mark Harmon can get it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I think there's something wrong with me.
    When I saw the doorman's keychain, made by the first atoms of the universe and right next to the frog, my first though was "Oh my god! Homestuck is canon!

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    When I saw the doorman's keychain, made by the first atoms of the universe and right next to the frog, my first though was "Oh my god! Homestuck is canon!

... shit.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    One slight bummer for me is that at the time I watched this my Netflix app called the latest episode "Episode 1" and not it's actual title "Everything is Bonzer" and a part of me liked the former more.

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Simone is an amazing new addition to this show.

Her Australian accent is baaaad.

I thought she was just doing a British accent and like Chidi, wasn’t actually from there?

I actually didn’t like her opening joke at all (gonna just rip open Chidi’s head), and was a bit worried, but she grew on me and the CAT scan ask out scene was real funny and cute

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Jimothy wrote: »
    I thought she was just doing a British accent and like Chidi, wasn’t actually from there?

I actually didn’t like her opening joke at all (gonna just rip open Chidi’s head), and was a bit worried, but she grew on me and the CAT scan ask out scene was real funny and cute

No it was an attempt at a really broad Aussie accent (occasionally by way of Wellington). The actress is actually English. Honestly I've heard worse.
    Accent aside, I like her character a lot! I hope she stays a regular.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »

No it was an attempt at a really broad Aussie accent (occasionally by way of Wellington). The actress is actually English. Honestly I've heard worse.
    Accent aside, I like her character a lot! I hope she stays a regular.

Yeah, on the one hand she's cool and I approve of Australia appearing in media in a positive, non-stereotypical fashion, but the accents aren't the best. At least Michael's was lampshaded.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Yeah her accent is sadly very forced, but a lot of the other minor characters seemed to actually be Australian which was nice

and Michael's fake accent was genuinely hilarious

• hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Huh. Yeah, I totally thought she was just British.

I like neuroscience lady a lot but I can understand an iffy accent making that harder.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I still really like her, but it's just a bit annoying that yet again they'd rather have someone do a poor imitation accent than actually get someone who has it already

I was thinking Deborah mailman would have nailed that role.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

yeah she’d really deliver

YaYa wrote: »

yeah she’d really deliver

Bet she hasn't heard that one before.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Do we spoil theories?
    Neuroscientist lady is The Judge; there's no better spot to keep an eye on her favorite dead boy.

sig.gif
    Sorce wrote: »
    Do we spoil theories?
    Neuroscientist lady is The Judge; there's no better spot to keep an eye on her favorite dead boy.
    Hmm, not sure I'm feeling that, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do something with her whole not really being around deal.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Do we spoil theories?
    If she starts talking about television we'll know.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg