As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm trying to decide if I want to platinum. I think I will because swinging around the city and photo mode are so fucking fun I might as well finish up the leftovers along the way.

But I want to give myself a little space for the DLC, which is coming relatively soon. We'll see, I'm in no rush.

I'd check to see what you're missing for platinum.
    If it's a hidden one:
    It's probably the one to web people together with trip-webs.
    That's the only hidden one that didn't feel obvious to me, I don't know why they had to hide it. Maybe because the gadget doesn't show up until later (it may have been a better surprise if they hadn't shown it in the announce trailer)? It's trivial to get once you know it's there, anyway. It only takes a couple of fights.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I didn't find the drone challenges horrible, just tedious. Some of them are very tight on the gold ranking, so it can take several attempts before landing that perfect run that shaves off the half-second you need to win.

They just suffer heavily in comparison with the rest of the game, they aren't outright terrible.

“Several.”

Several hours later, still short of gold. . .

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I didn't find the drone challenges horrible, just tedious. Some of them are very tight on the gold ranking, so it can take several attempts before landing that perfect run that shaves off the half-second you need to win.

They just suffer heavily in comparison with the rest of the game, they aren't outright terrible.

“Several.”

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet in this thread, but we just talked about this in the SE++ Spiderman thread: You don't actually need to get gold on all challenges to get the platinum trophy. I can't give you an exact formula on how many gold medals you'll need, but you don't need to craft any suit mods and only 15 gadget upgrades, which will save you some challenge tokens. If you keep going for higher challenge ranks that are easy for you, you'll have all suits unlocked without even needing to do the hardest challenges, or without needing to get gold rank on all challenges!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's 96 challenge tokens in all, and it takes 80 to buy everything that uses them. And that includes suit mods, which, as Blackbird said, don't count for the Platinum.

• Options

“Several.”

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet in this thread, but we just talked about this in the SE++ Spiderman thread: You don't actually need to get gold on all challenges to get the platinum trophy. I can't give you an exact formula on how many gold medals you'll need, but you don't need to craft any suit mods and only 15 gadget upgrades, which will save you some challenge tokens. If you keep going for higher challenge ranks that are easy for you, you'll have all suits unlocked without even needing to do the hardest challenges, or without needing to get gold rank on all challenges!

My problem is that I built a lot of suit mods. I ended up needing to get Gold on most challenges in order to catch up and unlock the suits.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    For my gold challenges I went for the Combat ones first, then the Bomb Challenges, then the Stealth Challenges.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    For my gold challenges I went for the Combat ones first, then the Bomb Challenges, then the Stealth Challenges.

I found that the Stealth challenges were by far the easiest to get Gold on. There was very little skill required - all I needed to do was to find the shortest working path around the map, and Gold became easy.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide if I want to platinum. I think I will because swinging around the city and photo mode are so fucking fun I might as well finish up the leftovers along the way.

But I want to give myself a little space for the DLC, which is coming relatively soon. We'll see, I'm in no rush.

I'd check to see what you're missing for platinum.
    If it's a hidden one:
    It's probably the one to web people together with trip-webs.
    That's the only hidden one that didn't feel obvious to me, I don't know why they had to hide it. Maybe because the gadget doesn't show up until later (it may have been a better surprise if they hadn't shown it in the announce trailer)? It's trivial to get once you know it's there, anyway. It only takes a couple of fights.

I actually have that one. I haven’t looked at the list but my major remaining cheevos are related to finishing up various side stuff.

Also when I realized you could do that particular thing, I did it all the time.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I'm getting close to Platinum, so I went to look at what trophies I still need:
    • With Great Power...: Should be easy. Without knowing what it was, I doubt that I'd have found it though.
    • Mercenary Tactics: I just haven't gotten around to it yet. One camp left.
    • I Heart Manhattan: I need to stop a lot of crimes.
    • A Bit of a Fixer-Upper: Wait, what? I thought that I did all of those. There are two consoles in the lab, right, one for the spectograph and one for circuits, right? Are there more projects in there that I missed?

Shadowhope on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Once I realized that I could pass them without hitting every drone, and that still advanced the quest, I was okay with just bronzing the drones. Sometimes I'd do better and it would be cool, but I found that I could knock the challenges out quickly if I just went for the blue orbs that were already in my path.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    • With Great Power...: Should be easy. Without knowing what it was, I doubt that I'd have found it though.
    • A Bit of a Fixer-Upper: Wait, what? I thought that I did all of those. There are two consoles in the lab, right, one for the spectograph and one for circuits, right? Are there more projects in there that I missed?

Did you revisit the consoles later? More of the puzzles unlock as the game progresses.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options

Did you revisit the consoles later? More of the puzzles unlock as the game progresses.

I cleared the two consoles that I found and got the bonus XP for full clearing them. Peter even had dialog where he was like "Oh no, what did Doc do? This would have been what drove him crazy!" or something to that effect.

There are only two consoles, right?

• Options
    edited September 2018

I cleared the two consoles that I found and got the bonus XP for full clearing them. Peter even had dialog where he was like "Oh no, what did Doc do? This would have been what drove him crazy!" or something to that effect.

There are only two consoles, yes. The spectrograph where you match absorption lines of various elements with recorded absorption lines, and the tablet with electrical circuit puzzles.

Note that the dialogue you mentioned has, if I remember correctly, nothing to do with the "side mission" puzzles you can do in the lab, but are part of a story mission - the circuit puzzles you solve as part of said mission aren't even part of the tablet's list. So maybe just double check those consoles again, just in case. Or try interacting with every possible object in the lab. That's all I can think of.

I know that there is a crime that involves circuits - someone sets up bombs and you have to solve a circuit to get a key and disarm them - but I highly doubt that counts towards the achievement, considering the description only says " Complete all optional projects in the lab".

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options

There are only two consoles, yes. The spectrograph where you match absorption lines of various elements with recorded absorption lines, and the tablet with electrical circuit puzzles.

Note that the dialogue you mentioned has, if I remember correctly, nothing to do with the "side mission" puzzles you can do in the lab, but are part of a story mission - the circuit puzzles you solve as part of said mission aren't even part of the tablet's list. So maybe just double check those consoles again, just in case. Or try interacting with every possible object in the lab. That's all I can think of.

I know that there is a crime that involves circuits - someone sets up bombs and you have to solve a circuit to get a key and disarm them - but I highly doubt that counts towards the achievement, considering the description only says " Complete all optional projects in the lab".

I recall doing that thing that where Peter solves some and gets repeated error messages and warns Doc that it's a terrible idea. This is the circuit console that I'm talking about, which I recognize is separate. There were something like 11 total circuits, and the final three were unlocked for me after Doc went crazy. When I solved them, I got dialog where instead of Peter doing his usual "Wow, this is neat" dialog he was doing a "Uh oh, this could be terrible" dialog.

• Options
    edited September 2018

I recall doing that thing that where Peter solves some and gets repeated error messages and warns Doc that it's a terrible idea. This is the circuit console that I'm talking about, which I recognize is separate. There were something like 11 total circuits, and the final three were unlocked for me after Doc went crazy. When I solved them, I got dialog where instead of Peter doing his usual "Wow, this is neat" dialog he was doing a "Uh oh, this could be terrible" dialog.

Then I have no clue. If you're 100% sure you've completed them all, I guess your only option is to contact Insomniac support.

The only other options would be to start a new save file just for that trophy, OR wait until they patch in New Game+ which they are currently working on.

Edit:

https://old.reddit.com/r/SpidermanPS4/comments/9hrz1r/help_dont_get_the_trophy_for_a_bit_of_a_fixerupper/

This mentions "reopening the projects and selecting everything again" to make the trophy pop. You could go into the game's options, enable the option that allows you to skip puzzles and then "skip" all of them once (which automatically completes them).

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Options

Interesting. I noticed that, if you finished them early, the final ones did not have any dialogue. Guess I should have waited until after the Ock reveal.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Got to act 3.
    Boy, they sure aggressively want to discourage you from roaming the world now. That's not a bad thing, mind you. But I'm also glad I cleared out most of the collectibles, back when there weren't snipers on every other city block.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Got to act 3.
    Boy, they sure aggressively want to discourage you from roaming the world now. That's not a bad thing, mind you. But I'm also glad I cleared out most of the collectibles, back when there weren't snipers on every other city block.
    clearing out those random packs of snipers keeps them from returning later. As such, you can gradually make the map safer to explore.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Got to act 3.
    The games does a good job of telegraphing that this is coming. Once the mercs started patrolling the streets and setting up on rooftops, I realized it was only a matter of time before they became a problem and started clearing icons.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So i beat it night before last. questions about ending/post ending content :
    1) Are there different endings?

2) Besides Taskmaster are there any boss fights or any rewards gated behind doing every :
    secret photos
    research labs
    Sable bases
    Prison bases
    ?

I know there is some costume dependant on doing practically everything but from reading the description i dont think i care about it. I've enjoyed the game but have some other ones id like to switch to if there isnt anything majorly interesting hidden behind the rest of the tedious stuff.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So i beat it night before last. questions about ending/post ending content :
    1) Are there different endings?

2) Besides Taskmaster are there any boss fights or any rewards gated behind doing every :
    secret photos
    research labs
    Sable bases
    Prison bases
    ?

I know there is some costume dependant on doing practically everything but from reading the description i dont think i care about it. I've enjoyed the game but have some other ones id like to switch to if there isnt anything majorly interesting hidden behind the rest of the tedious stuff.

There is only one ending - granted there's an epilogue you can read if you go pick up Spider-geddon #0 available at your local comic shop.

Regarding bosses - did you fight
    Tombstone?

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Sorry to double post but if anyone is curious about the epilogue in the comics (which seems like it may play into further games):
    There's an ongoing story in the Marvel comics where all the spider-related characters are mystically tied to one another as avatars of the Spider-totem. Throughout history and across realities there are a group of people (actually a family) called "The Inheritors" who gain and enhance their powers through consuming avatars of the Spider-Totem. They've been defeated before by bringing together all sorts of Spider-people across realities but recently they've come back.

In Spider-Geddon #0 we see the Superior Spider-Man (a version of Spider-man that is actually Otto Octavious in Peter's body) going to PS4 Spider-Man's world to recruit him into the battle against the inheritors. Peter and Otto end up really hitting it off as the Superior Spidey is the realization of what Otto could've become had he not fallen into villainy and Peter of the PS4 universe is a Spider-Man that truly looks up to Otto and sees him as a hero (something Superior Spidey has desperately struggled with). In the end, the two kind of fill in emotional gaps for the other and it seems like they may end up in some sort of mentor/mentee relationship.

Also Superior leaves one of his advanced Spiderbots in the PS4 universe to watch over his evil self on the raft - which seems like a seed for future comics/games.

Comic books, right?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Well that is uh... certainly a thing.

• Options
    Well that is uh... certainly a thing.
    Just to further expand on the ridiculousness, Otto's original body died shortly after he transferred his mind to Peter's body. And some time before giving Peter his body back, Otto created a backup of his own consciousness in a shitty robot, where it stayed until The Jackal recreated Otto's original body. But that still wasn't good enough, so Otto used Jackal's cloning tech to create a body that was a cross between himself and Peter.

Comics!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Re: totems
    It's pretty dumb, since it's just magic, but also the hilarious oldschool "proportional strength of a spider" might be even dumber, so I'm torn

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Eh, I saw the Spider-Man musical, but the 2nd version after they changed a bunch of plot stuff. In the original version of the show, there was a whole thing with a spider god.

Spider-Man is no stranger to weirdness.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    I don't want to give anything away so I'll spoiler this.
    I'm not going to pretend that comics aren't weird or that even the base concepts of super heroes being exposed to infected bugs or radioactive sludge gives them super powers and doesn't melt their skin, but at least Spider-Man has always been grounded in "the dude from queens trying to make ends meet, use powers for good."

I don't have much interest in... I don't know what to call it behind those spoilers. But maybe I'm just old. The games could go in that quasi-mystical fantasy direction and I would probably still play the hell out of them, but I wouldn't get nearly as much out of the narrative.

• Options
    I'm not going to pretend that comics aren't weird or that even the base concepts of super heroes being exposed to infected bugs or radioactive sludge gives them super powers and doesn't melt their skin, but at least Spider-Man has always been grounded in "the dude from queens trying to make ends meet, use powers for good."

I don't have much interest in... I don't know what to call it behind those spoilers. But maybe I'm just old. The games could go in that quasi-mystical fantasy direction and I would probably still play the hell out of them, but I wouldn't get nearly as much out of the narrative.
    For better or for worse Spider-Man has always been part of a broader universe - in fact as one of the tentpole Marvel characters he's often at the forefront of the weird shenanigans that go on in the Marvel U. While it's fine to just want to see him as a small time hero of Queens he's never really been that. In fact, Spider-Man frequently acts as a great narrative device in these whacky stories as he's often the fish out of water.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think a lot of comics will bounce back and forth between grounded stuff and wild zany stories based on the writer. It's part of the genre and form. There's also this urge to escalate stories, to up the stakes, as a series goes on, and when that gets to be too much, an urge to tear it down and reboot or at least reground it.

• Options
    Not really the case with Spider-Man. While certain aspects have been changed over time (the most salient retcons being the resurrection of May and dissolving the marriage to MJ) the overall continuity has remained pretty stable. Because he's such a mainline character in the Marvel Universe any mass changes to his continuity have dramatic impacts on the rest of the universe.

• Options
    Yeah, I gave up on comics after 30+ years of collection cause the main reason i liked comics was due to its rich history and continuity. When they started rebooting the universe every few years so they could retell the same old stories over and over again, I had enough.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Eh, in my opinion, the Spider-Verse thing was just an excuse to bring in Japanese Spider-Man to meet with the mainline Marvel ones. :D (also, we got Silk and Spider-Gwen and all sorts of other great things out of it) I'm excited for the Spider-Verse animated movie coming out in theaters soon.

* The one with the robot named Leopardon. It was a weird Toei giant-robot IP crossover with Marvel that didn't quite turn out the way everyone expected.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Eh, in my opinion, the Spider-Verse thing was just an excuse to bring in Japanese Spider-Man to meet with the mainline Marvel ones. :D (also, we got Silk and Spider-Gwen and all sorts of other great things out of it) I'm excited for the Spider-Verse animated movie coming out in theaters soon.

* The one with the robot named Leopardon. It was a weird Toei giant-robot IP crossover with Marvel that didn't quite turn out the way everyone expected.

The Spider-Man series is why Toei started including giant robots in their Super Sentai series.

Basically, it's because of Spider-Man that we have Power Rangers.

• Options
    I think the spider verse movie looks great, and i'm just fine with other spider based characters. Sometimes, comics are weird.

• Options
    Yeah, I gave up on comics after 30+ years of collection cause the main reason i liked comics was due to its rich history and continuity. When they started rebooting the universe every few years so they could retell the same old stories over and over again, I had enough.
    That's really more of a DC thing. While Marvel has the occasional retcon here and there (and stories that take place in different parts of its multiverse), for the most part, everything from Fantastic Four #1 in 1961 up to the current day is still part of the history of the Marvel Universe.

Like someone else mentioned, being part of the Marvel Universe, Spider-Man swings (heh) back and forth between the grounded and the absurd. I was cherry picking the most absurd aspects of Otto's comic storyline for fun. There's still plenty of more grounded stories in between the ridiculous like ...
    There's one issue where May's second husband is dying. There's no end of the world threats, no clones or parallel dimensions. Just some human drama, and Peter dealing with his responsibilities as Spider-Man being at odds with his responsibilities to his friends and family.

• Options
    Dirty wrote: »
    That's really more of a DC thing. While Marvel has the occasional retcon here and there (and stories that take place in different parts of its multiverse), for the most part, everything from Fantastic Four #1 in 1961 up to the current day is still part of the history of the Marvel Universe.

Not correct. There have been 7 since 1996.

https://bookriot.com/2018/02/27/marvel-reboots/

• Options
    edited September 2018

None of those are reboots. They are event storylines that shifted the status quo around for awhile then got upset for the status quo to return.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Yeah, Ultimate Marvel and Heroes Reborn were side projects that did not replace the "Prime" Marvel Universe. Now, ANAD, Legacy, and Fresh Start were just events designed to be jumping on points for new and returning readers.

Secret Wars was a story about the destruction and recreation of the multiverse, but the "new" Prime Universe is like 99.9% the same. All the books going back to FF #1 are all still canon.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    While I have not read a ton of comics, I have read Ultimate Spiderman and really enjoyed it. The fact it is almost entirely self contained is great and you can just read through it and get everything you want out of it.

It was a great modernisation of Spiderman and worth checking out if you haven't read it.

Was also what got us Miles, who I really enjoy as well.

I'm in what feels like the last third of the game and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far.

High points thus far:
    Peter and Otto's relationship.
    Mary Jane actually being involved and not saved.
    Miles is great and I assume he's going to get his powers and is playable either later or in a sequel.
    The fluidity of the movement/swinging, the cutscenes in particular were really impressive. The combat especially is really fun, interactive and deeper than Arkham combat.
    Moving past the Raft and fighting multiple bosses has been very neat, haven't had one that felt bad so far other than the poison sequence.
    Being able to just set all the puzzles to a solve button. I don't mind puzzles in some games but that's not what I'm here for. Props for still giving full rewards anyway.

Only faults I have with it are the stealth sections felt a little needless, although I like what it does for the characters involved it's a little jarring after having so much freedom. I did love the one with Mary Jane where you see Spiderman grabbing and webbing people.
    That the Raft cutscenes could have been even neater if they had a little more interactivity like the helicopter chase did.

It's impressive how good combat feels when you only have one punch button and then a handful of buttons to modify it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y11rLoYXyg

Kelor on
  • Options

None of those are reboots. They are event storylines that shifted the status quo around for awhile then got upset for the status quo to return.

The only one of those that is even close is Heroes Reborn but we still had mainline continuity beside it.