As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] Your favorite CCG in a F2P format you can spend thousands on!

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Is anyone else getting mirror matches every game? Its like 7 in a row now the opponent is using the same deck.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting mirror matches every game? Its like 7 in a row now the opponent is using the same deck.

probably just playing against the precon decks

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    The casual matchmaking is set to match you with people who have roughly equally expensive decks.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Yeah I get that. But its mirror on colors every time heh.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Right now everyone has just the precon decks and few cards for the most part.

i'm doing a sealed event on my main account, where I dropped some money for crystals. Lost my first game, decided to splash a card and it may be a mistake and should have kept with my old deck, but ravinca is pretty fun.

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    So I stole a split card with Thief of Sanity, and instead of giving me the split card it gave me a card that had the combined costs of Find//Finality and the effects of both. I don't think the game knows how to handle something like that. :P

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Running this deck at 3-1 in sealed now.
    ebfmmsutaui8.jpg

• Options
    Hmmm seems they're having some issues. My gold and gems were showing 0, I heard some peoples cards disappeared, and they just went down for emergency maintenance. Hopefully they don't have to roll back. Was a 4-1 with that deck in sealed, and was really happy with the cards I got for my collection.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I actually won a couple of games and every time my 'weekly wins' counter went from -1 to 0, so I'm not making a lot of progress on those bonus packs.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Drafts are super fun. Probably the best mode in MTG:A, and the fact that you keep the cards as well as get rewards for your performance afterwards? Fantastic. Wise Up Blizzard, this is how you reward players for playing your games.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Me: "Ah man, I need just one more Win and I'll complete a couple quests at once and earn a lot of gold, a booster pack and a new Deck! But I kinda suck so this might take awhile."

-opponent spontaneously combusts first turn-

Me: ". . .Or not.

edit- Hah! I just had a thoroughly pleasing victory against a Rat Colony in Singleton. Thanks to @scherbchen heads up I crafted my deck with a focus on flying creatures and spells to outright destroy creatures or enchantments that lowered X/1 by 1.

Every hand they'd drop like 2-3 Rat Colony and each time I was all, "Nope, nope, and nope. Also here is four damage from my flying creatures you can't block."

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    ugh. getting disconnected after just about every game is kind of annoying if your quest reward is a new card, you do not get to see which card it is and on top of that there is no "new card here!" notifier in your collection.

Other than that Helm of the Host is singleton MVP for the games where you don't play versus Rats.

• Options
  • Options
    Went 5-3 with my first sealed deck. All of the losses were really close. Currently running this. Thief of Sanity is really good when you get it out on turn 3. Opponent couldn't do anything with me stealing all his cards that could help him. The back breaker was when I stole a flyer he could have finally countered my spell thiefing with.
    l5ps102ii0m8.jpg

Don't have any huge bombs I don't think, but have a lot of removal and some solid creatures.

• Options
    Thanks to WotC's little 2,000 coin apology for certain launch issues, I've got enough coins scraped together for my first Open Beta Draft.

But... I don't think I actually want to draft Core '19. Think I'll wait for a Dominaria or Ravnica draft.

Or maybe I could just spend my gains on packs.

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Teaching friends who have previously only played Hearthstone how to play Magic has been very interesting. The shock/disbelief at certain mechanics is pretty entertaining. I had someone read a Planeswalker ultimate and say "That's not a real card, there's no way."

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Yeah some of the high level play is pretty nuts. Even something basic like the instant speed stack is tough for people to get their heads around. You just sort of have to get your ass kicked and see how pro players use the system to understand. Bit like fighting games

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I have a problem playing. It says I need version 845, but I have version 843. I've been launching and relaunching the MTGALauncher.exe, but it doesn't work.

What do?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    I have a problem playing. It says I need version 845, but I have version 843. I've been launching and relaunching the MTGALauncher.exe, but it doesn't work.

What do?

I think you can just re install. Your data is kept off line.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I've been getting crappy hands all day today. It's somewhat consistent where my starting hand only has 2 lands and consequent mulligans give me way too many lands or no lands at all. I'm not expecting that magic number, but it's kind of absurd what mulliganing ends up giving me.

It's quite frustrating. I don't believe my starting hands were as terrible in the closed beta.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Merfolk pre-constructed deck seems really strong in the no-money tier :/

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

Yes. Yes it is. Also the explore deck.

• Options
    Like I went to improve my copy of the merfolk deck, wound up deciding the only cards that I didn't like were the low cost, bounce target non-land permanent cards.
    Removed those, didn't have much to replace them.

Wound up wiping a saproling deck by tapping 5 merfolk, giving them all +1 counters, making them unblockable by dropping that merfolk, and then swinging through the wall of chumps.

• Options
    Like I went to improve my copy of the merfolk deck, wound up deciding the only cards that I didn't like were the low cost, bounce target non-land permanent cards.

Wound up wiping a saproling deck by tapping 5 merfolk, giving them all +1 counters, making them unblockable by dropping that merfolk, and then swinging through the wall of chumps.

From my experience in closed beta the starting decks are a pretty nice base to start from. You get some nice cards, and they all have a theme. Through your collection and wildcards you can improve them greatly. I took the starting red deck and added a bunch of better dragons in closed beta and had a lot of fun with it.

Entered a sealed with a shitload of good black and black green cards. Green, not so much. But I think this deck can go far. Was in one game behind, and with my undergrowth cards and ability to get card advantage, steamrolled somebody who got up to 34 or 38 hp.
    pesqjtyzg0dg.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Sounds a lot like my blue/red dragon deck.
    Blue's in there to try and get some card draw with artifacts, but I think perhaps I should switch to blue fliers, making everything flying, and hopefully get some more of the 2R, sac +RR flame elemental things, and ramp up that way.

discrider on
  • Options
    RickRude wrote: »

From my experience in closed beta the starting decks are a pretty nice base to start from. You get some nice cards, and they all have a theme. Through your collection and wildcards you can improve them greatly. I took the starting red deck and added a bunch of better dragons in closed beta and had a lot of fun with it.

Entered a sealed with a shitload of good black and black green cards. Green, not so much. But I think this deck can go far. Was in one game behind, and with my undergrowth cards and ability to get card advantage, steamrolled somebody who got up to 34 or 38 hp.
    pesqjtyzg0dg.jpg

**EDIT**

I ended up going 7-1 for my first 7 win sealed. This deck was pretty sick when it was popping off, which was almost always with the curve and ramp.

Then promptly had 2 0-3's lol!

**EDIT**

• Options
    Had some serious mana screw issues with my flying red/blue deck.
    For some reason the auto-land picker had me on 13-7 basic lands (4 dual).
    Had to switch it to 10-10 myself :/

• Options
    Is white green really really weak? Had two sealed where they were my strongest colors and went 0-3 in both.

• Options
    shrug

That was my first zero-money deck and it seems to work okay..
    Sort of leaning on big green things to drop, whilst white tokens and buffs gum up the field.

Seems like white/red has more cards though, or perhaps I haven't drawn into the white/green guild..

• Options

Hmm. I don't have the merfolk pre-con deck yet. After getting all the mono-color ones, I unlocked the WB lifegain deck, followed by the UR instants & sorceries one.

So I guess that means the pre-cons unlock in different orders for everyone?

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Heads up, if you participated in the physical pre-release this weekend, there was a token in the box that gets you into an arena sealed run for free.

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Yeah it's on the back of token cards so don't toss those out.

Also, is there a way to filter your card list in to their seasons? Like if I only want to see my Guilds of Ravnica cards.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that the best way to build a collection early on is to buy Core packs? That's where I've been dumping all my gold, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the best way to build a collection early on is to buy Core packs? That's where I've been dumping all my gold, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

drafting is probably ideal as you get to pick the cards you want, but core or ravnica seem like a good place to start.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    So uh... I tried to log into my Wizards.com account to check some things (I was a Magic: Duels player, for instance) and I forgot my password... but I can't seem to submit my email to get my password back. :|

Anyone know wtf is happening?

*edit* nevermind, Wizards' website just sucks. Also, there's no Android version yet, so, eh.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

I would advocate not getting Core packs. The Core set this year is very weak and you're much less likely to get playable cards.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

I would advocate not getting Core packs. The Core set this year is very weak and you're much less likely to get playable cards.

you're much better off doing sealed, you only need to win 1 game to technically break even in terms of value

EDIT: maybe 2 games?

either way

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular

Expanding on the points above; The core set in magic is not like the classic set of Hearthstone, its cards will rotate out of standard at the same pace as other sets. The idea of magic core sets is to make a drafting and sealed experience that is less mechanically complicated than the regular sets, making it a good entry point for new players.

There's no rule saying core set cards need to be less powerful than other sets, this one just happened to be worse than usual.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Good to know. I'll try to grab some Ravnica and do sealed then.

• Options
    I thought Core was basically reprinted each couple of years, and contained all the 'standard' cards, leaving the new mechanics for the other sets.
    So, how is Core weaker than the last Core set?

This discussion has been closed.