As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fortnite] Sprint forever!

• Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    axen beat me. here's yonyea as well.
    link unlistened to atm. now listened to in entirety.

https://youtu.be/A3BjqkPeY4s

basically, sony wants a piece of the fortnite pie.

ben's take:
    not stated by sony, but a good act of contrition is getting your account technically jailbreaked from the sony garden so now you can go back to pc or nintendo or where ever you like playing the game. it shouldnt have happened to begin with. what sony initially did was account hostage taking.

nothing said about being able to unlink your epic account from sony if they decide to pull the plug on this beta crossplay thing.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also, tomorrow a new event is launching with patch 6.0!
    Hey everyone,

In v6.0 (Thursday, 9/27) we will be introducing a mini event that we’re calling “Cram Session”. This event will not have any special llamas or tickets and will be focused on gathering resources to prepare for the events ahead.

During Cram Session you'll earn increased rewards by:

- Completing Miniboss Mission Alerts (Going back to 10 alerts for this event). These Alerts will grant double the normal amounts of XP, Evolution Materials, Perk Materials, and will grant Gold.

- Complete the four quest lines. These quest have ten stages each which grant significant one-time rewards on completion. (Hero/Schematic/Survivor XP, Evolution Materials, or Gold)

In addition to featuring a new weapon or hero each week, several old favorites will be returning to the Event Store.

Also, anyone who has 2FA enabled on their account will receive the following when v6.0 launches:

50 Armory Slots
    10 Backpack Slots
    1 Legendary Troll Stash Llama

Prepare yourself heroes, You’re going to need all the help you can get as something dark lurks on the horizon.

So be sure to enable 2 Factor Authentication and sign in tomorrow to collect a pretty substantial bonus. Even as someone who has finished all of the Research and Skill Trees (save like 3 SSD defenders I can't even use anymore), those backpack slots in particular are amazing.

It feels like a fairly safe assumption that this is buying time between the Road Trip (which went on for ages) and the Halloween event (presumed to be the return of Fortnitemares or some variation thereof).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Check out these old Fortnite dances.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g7KawdsVSQ

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I haven’t played Fortnite, but hear it’s the biggest thing in gaming right now. So, silly question: why isn’t this thread hopping? Is it a case of PA just doesn’t care or is there a more popular SE thread or something?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I haven’t played Fortnite, but hear it’s the biggest thing in gaming right now. So, silly question: why isn’t this thread hopping? Is it a case of PA just doesn’t care or is there a more popular SE thread or something?

Not really much to talk about, I imagine. It's not like Minecraft where you can post pictures and stuff of your designs.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Have these been posted before? There is a long series of this on the youtube page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0on2x1YE8c

It's the only way I'll play, except I don't pick up anything except shields and bandages. My ultimate goal is to start a dance party in the final circle

Veevee on
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Check out these old Fortnite dances.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g7KawdsVSQ

Eh, the videos that contrast the real life inspirations against the in game ones are better.

But WoW videos also mined the shit out of that for a decade.
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I've nearly completed it, as in, I'm 25 completed missions (of the right types) from being done with the Single Player's main questline. Got up to Power 105 (and climbing) with full Mythic leads and all but one Survivor at Legendary (which I could've done last night, but I saw the notification about the mission with a legendary survivor around 3:30 am and decided I'd rather stay in bed).

It's fun, but it's very Warframe like in that you can just fire up a mission and go. There isn't much content in the game that requires pre-arranged groups (and the Reddit Discord covers what little need there is), and without a clan/guild/etc system there's minimal demand for organization or structure.

I'm generally content with the release rate. If anyone has been on the fence, the "cram session" mini-event they're doing is pretty great. Basically; play the game, get great rewards. We'll see if the luster remains in 3 weeks time, but even if I'm entirely done, the return of their Halloween event "Fortnitemares" should be fun. Hopefully they'll bring back the big hits everyone loves, along with plenty of new content, and then I guess it's just a skip away from the return of the Christmas event, which was where I started this journey in January of this year.

But, to get back to your question, while it's the hottest thing in gaming right now, I believe that's primarily the PVP version, where there's generally even less to discuss, I think. And yet, PUBG's threads have been lengthy and boisterous, so maybe I'm way off base here?

FORTNITE THREAD! AWISE FROM YO GWAVE!

For those who enjoyed (or at least dabbled in) the Save the World PVE campaign, Epic Games has finally seen fit to complete the Canny Valley questline!

The game continues to receive quality of life improvements, mechanical changes, and anyone who hasn't logged in recently will see a substantial bump in their power level once they go through the motions of applying their research, upgrades, and whatnot. Warning: DO NOT use the 'auto assign survivors' option, it is a pile of misery and failure that will have you spending half an hour fixing all of your squads. Not only that, but they improved the rewards for the collection book and leveling up, so you'll also receive a pile of experience and evolution materials as well.

On top of that, Frostnite will be launching next week, so another seasonal event is upon us!

And as the cherry on top, anyone who completes the Canny Valley quest line by midnight (EST) on January 1st, 2019, will receive a small token for doing so.

Actual spoiler for those who don't want me to ruin the surprise;
    From what I'm reading, Epic Games will mail you a pin, anywhere in the world, for free.

So, if you're in Canny (or close to it) and you'd like to give the game a whirl again, now would be a good time to do so. Completing the full Canny quest line in 2.5 weeks would take some doing, but with the holidays almost upon us, hopefully it won't be too arduous.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Also bringing the Fortnite thread back from the dead to say that I got screwed out of watching the Star Wars event yesterday by their crappy servers, got a solo victory royale with 12 elims within my first 5 games as revenge, and then promptly un-installed the game.

QKVUBWV.jpg

umFFAMX.jpg

BTW this game is hot garbage and it blew my mind discovering how plain it was after all the popularity and hubbub about it. Guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I will say this though, lightsabering someone who was in the middle of a stupid fortnite dance was profoundly satisfying.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    I forgot to come back and mention it, but I did eventually get my pin.

I think for Christmas I might finally treat myself to a challenge coin/pin display case and put up all of the nerdy coins and pins I've collected over the years. Despite it nearly being a year since I last touched the game, it still holds fond memories for when I did play it (strictly PVE).

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Did they ever release the main game for free like they kept saying they would?

uyvfOQy.png
    Doesn't look like it, according to a cursory Google search.

They said it'd happen in 2018, and then 2019. With 2 weeks left in the year, maybe it'll happen in 2020? Barring a major Christmas surprise, I guess that wait still goes on.

I can't even imagine all the stuff I've missed in the last year or so. Part of me wants to fire it back up and look around, part of me is certain that it'd just be a mess, and both sides are sure I don't have the spare time to get dragged back into playing that, even if they finally finished Canny Valley and Twine Peaks' storyline missions.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/euiSHuaw6Q4

Had to search to find a Forkknife thread, doesn't seem like this game is popular here. But this drama surrounding apple and epic is so spicy...

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    And the epic saga continues!

Fortnite has been yeeted off the Android store, too.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited August 2020
    Hmmm.... I hate to say "manufactured outrage" but I bet Fortnite's downloads will skyrocket again after hearing this news.

Ohhh it's because of the fact that they implemented Direct payments. Gotcha.

urahonky on
    urahonky wrote: »
    Hmmm.... I hate to say "manufactured outrage" but I bet Fortnite's downloads will skyrocket again after hearing this news.

Ohhh it's because of the fact that they implemented Direct payments. Gotcha.

Direct payments that resulted in Apple delisting the game from their store resulting in Epic filing a lawsuit against Apple...and then Google getting on board dumping Fortnite from their store. I don't watch soaps...but this is making for some tasty drama.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Did they ever finish the single player mode or story mode or whatever?

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »

Save the World mode? Of course not...they can't funnel everybody's money via microtransactions with that mode
    they totally could, but they'd actually have to spend a modicum of effort beyond making new skins to actually finish that non-BR game mode

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Epic knew what they were doing here, they broke the rule on direct payments to bait a ban from Apple/Google so they could immediately launch the lawsuit they had prepared about anti-competitive behavior. It's a fascinating bit of drama no matter whose side you're on, they're betting all-in with their entire mobile presence to kill the 30% tax.

I'd be alright if they got Apple/Google to reduce the 30%. I don't see it happening but more money going to the other companies is a good thing for me.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Epic knew what they were doing here, they broke the rule on direct payments to bait a ban from Apple/Google so they could immediately launch the lawsuit they had prepared about anti-competitive behavior. It's a fascinating bit of drama no matter whose side you're on, they're betting all-in with their entire mobile presence to kill the 30% tax.

Same thing they've done with Valve/Steam and their 30%. Epic wants to keep all the money.

Same thing they've done with Valve/Steam and their 30%. Epic wants to keep all the money.

Credit where credit is due, Epic put their money where their mouth is with EGS - their cut is only 12%. Same with the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    For context there are already multiple suits targeting the app store for anti-competitive practices, so this is just them jumping on a bandwagon that might eventually end up going somewhere. Most modern consoles are equally as walled gardens as Apple so the implications of any ruling here could have a huge impact on gaming.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Credit where credit is due, Epic put their money where their mouth is with EGS - their cut is only 12%. Same with the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

Yup their cut is only 12% except for their cut of attempting to literally get hundreds of millions of dollars out of children in which case they want their cut to be 100% .

Fuck Epic.

Yup their cut is only 12% except for their cut of attempting to literally get hundreds of millions of dollars out of children in which case they want their cut to be 100% .

Fuck Epic.

It's a video game so of course there are kids involved, I don't see how what they're doing is more sleazy than anybody else. As a business they don't like paying a 30% cut to platform holders, naturally. I'm not sure where this outrage is coming from.

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

I don't remember the specifics, but no, they didn't. It wasn't exactly in a finished state, but they came out saying they are abandoning it (in not so many words).

Fake Edit: Out of early access. They "slowed" development on it, kept it premium (paid) instead of going free-to-play, and it looks future battle royale cosmetics won't work in STW.

Number One Tricky
    I noticed that my one comment the last time the thread was updated was just asking the same question, heh.

uyvfOQy.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i played it really early and it was ok. i downloaded it on my switch and ps4 so me and my wife can play together. we won our first 7 duos together.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So Fortnite has been getting a lot of chatter in various podcasts that I listen to, especially since the no build mode became a permanent fixture. I finally decided to give it another shot (I had purchased Save the World when it became available and didn't love what I played of the BR when it launched) and...it's a lot of fun now?

The removal of building and the addition of quests have made it a much lower stress way to play around in a fun shooter environment. I really enjoy the way they handle their battle pass, and I'm having a blast just running around exploring and completing quests fighting anyone I encounter along the way. I'm sure it's different when you've maxed out the pass and completed all of the story content, but for me it's almost like the Battle Royale is just the backdrop to the random shenanigans I'm getting into around the map. I'd definitely encourage anyone who's at least BR-curious and hasn't played it in a few years to jump in and poke around a bit.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The combo of no build and visual audio cues full changed the game for me, totally back on board for it.

I know coming back green means there are a lot of bots in my games still, but I managed to eek out a solo win last night and it still felt good,.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
    Just doing normal battle royal stuff:

iLDPZ4nl.png

Season changeover is happening right now.

I like to ART
  • SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Dumb question, but how long is this screen after the event supposed to go on for? I haven’t seem any repeats in the stuff floating by so far, but I can’t do anything or even exit the game?

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    Dumb question, but how long is this screen after the event supposed to go on for? I haven’t seem any repeats in the stuff floating by so far, but I can’t do anything or even exit the game?

The last time they did a big end of season event the servers were down afterward, until the next day. My son stayed in the game quite a while trying to figure out what was going on since they are absolutely terrible at actually communicating that info and the post-event screen gave no indication that players should just log out.

Yeah sounds like it's all down until later tonight / tomorrow morning, there does seem to be some kind of arg going though:
    https://www.fortnitechapter4.com/

I like to ART
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Holy shit, Black Widow is back in the store. After four and a half years.

Edit: and gone again. 24 hours only. Wow.

Jazz on

Solid Snake and Peter Griffin incoming, it would seem.

Leaks from forthcoming Chapter 5 battle pass.

On one hand, the shortened OG pass did nothing for me, you could feel how empty and bad the initial map was, but on the other hand I did get this skin so...

maxresdefault.jpg

I like to ART
    edited December 2023
    You could see so much just how much better the level design had got. I only started this year (C4S1) so had no nostalgia goggles for the OG map, but the difference was pretty stark.

I miss Mega City...

Jazz on