As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    So is soul calibur good again?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    seems like it

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Having not played SC since 2 I have to keep reminding myself "back is not block" because... oof.

Not having a command list available is super dumb, or did I miss it?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Having not played SC since 2 I have to keep reminding myself "back is not block" because... oof.

There’s no offline modes in the network test, so nowhere to pause and check moves

Actual release will have player vs CPU, practice mode, etc presumably with move lists

Fearghaill wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

There’s no offline modes in the network test, so nowhere to pause and check moves

Actual release will have player vs CPU, practice mode, etc presumably with move lists

Yes, but the utter lack of anything instructional whatsoever in this demo/beta/whatever is an odd choice.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    There’s a lot more underboob in this game than I remember.

Also, Tira can be ridiculous if you get a solid vertical on somebody.

All I know about Tira so far is that she has a jump rope attack and I can't help but smile.

• IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

only new one is partially talim but tira and seong mina have had underboob for a while. need to check if tira can kill herself still in gloomy.

Illieas wrote: »

only new one is partially talim but tira and seong mina have had underboob for a while. need to check if tira can kill herself still in gloomy.

I haven’t managed to yet, but it also seems much harder to get into or stay in Gloomy. She still has all my favorite stuff though, so looks like I’m pre-ordering or whatever I have to do to get her.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

I haven’t managed to yet, but it also seems much harder to get into or stay in Gloomy. She still has all my favorite stuff though, so looks like I’m pre-ordering or whatever I have to do to get her.

That reminds me: has anyone explained what's in the deluxe version? Or the dlc situation generally?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    deluxe is game plus season pass also soundtrack. The season pass i think has been announced 4 characters including tira and a two packs of items for create a soul.

got some games in so far lag isn't so bad but sometimes the wait is rather long. kilik had a bunch of moves changed and need to get used to it and i have forgotten how i set up my button layouts. reversal edge is weird i keep messing up and pressing block alot also i have done reversal random times cause i be mashing.

deluxe is game plus season pass also soundtrack. The season pass i think has been announced 4 characters including tira and a two packs of items for create a soul.

got some games in so far lag isn't so bad but sometimes the wait is rather long. kilik had a bunch of moves changed and need to get used to it and i have forgotten how i set up my button layouts. reversal edge is weird i keep messing up and pressing block alot also i have done reversal random times cause i be mashing.

The Rock-paper-scissors of it is weird because directions also work, so if you’re holding a direction or hitting a button when the RE starts you’re locked in.

So does that mean that if one just wanted the extra characters, the best course would be regular edition + season pass?

• l_gl_g Registered User regular

I didn't realize that the ring out mechanic was going to be so Smash Bros. inspired :p

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    templewulf wrote: »

So does that mean that if one just wanted the extra characters, the best course would be regular edition + season pass?

well deluxe has the same price as game + season pass. soundtrack comes as extra bonus.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular

I have to admit, this is about how this exchange would go for me if I were the Zasalamel player.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Zasalamel still the business, real excited for the game now

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Don't understand why Reversal Edge is confusing people here & in my area. It's very simple.

hqdt04ro7xi11.png

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    I feel like SC6 is going to be a joy to watch at high level. So many moves with weird specific properties.

Like the lethal hit system. I just looked up a movelist for Geralt because I don't know how to fucking play Soul Calibur. He has a move that will lethal hit against opponents specifically in Soul Charge. He has another move that only lethal hits against someone who has 2 full bars of meter. And the game the game is full of shit like that.

My only concern is some characters having supers that are just too good to not throw out raw. Yoshi's teleports him into the air and slams down on you, so it's basically a fullscreen punish on everything, and if you block it he's plus. I've heard some people say you can sidestep it, but I haven't seen it. And get ready to see a whole lot of Zas supers. It's an attack with an auto-gi so if you're doing anything at all you're getting hit. Not sure if there's a startup though, a lot of the supers in the game have them and will get stuffed.

Fucking Nightmare's super can be charged, and during the charge he has super armor, and when fully charged becomes unblockable. The range is not super great though. And he summons a demon horse so it's fine. I've also seen people sidestep it while charging which was pretty funny.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    zasalamel time stop mechanic is very cool and good and makes me giggle to hit people with the curse payoff every time

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    But consider, Soul Charge, spam Aard

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    Radius wrote: »
    But consider, Soul Charge, spam Aard

Even though I have no idea what I'm doing in this game, I did find Aard when messing around, and saw Sonic Fox do this so I gave it a shot

It was very successful

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    there is one play style that is simple and annoying. it is as follows. reversal edge that are successful produce meter. so it is throw something out reversal the other players move. swap out the reversal for super when you get the meter.

been enjoying talim. A+B and back turn moves are great
    need to see if talim can evade RE when starting a string. that would be super strong.
    but yeah the best feeling right now is block a super and punish with super

I tried geralt a little at first and thought he was really good then I was just 3-0'ing people with zasalamel again and never looked back

7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited September 2018
    I tried geralt a little at first and thought he was really good then I was just 3-0'ing people with zasalamel again and never looked back

But did you know Geralt's back throw is a one-handed dunk?

And that his meter burn throw is an Aard launcher into a super dunk?

Like, it feels like you wrote this section of this move list I found.
    4A+G: Reverse break throw, picks opponent up with ONE ARM and dunks them. Switches side. He then stabs you in the head, which you deserve for getting dunked on so viciously. It’s a dunk, which naturally makes it the better of the two normal grabs. Also reverse breaks are really hard for people to adjust to right now. Also it’s a dunk.
    A+G/4A+G~A+B+K: Meter burn throw, can be done with either break. Costs 0.5 meter. Launches opponent with Aard into a tomahawk slam jam DUNK. Also is a dunk. Dunks are rad. Oh and it does a ton of damage too, so that’s cool. Also will Lethal Hit against opponent’s Soul Charge, just in case you weren’t already satisfied with how hard this move dunks on people.
    On a personal note since this is a dunk I will definitely spend cash on this way too often and poorly manage my meter. You lose meter even if it’s broken. But it’s still a dunk.

Radius on
    I wanna try the new weapon master boss guy because he has that muscle buster he did in the trailer

7yh4xczljsym.png
    I'm hoping that when/if the next SC game comes out and time moves ahead a bit, we not only have the way cooler older Mitsurugi back, but we eventually also have aged-up versions of some of the female characters. In wuxia stories you have fearsome martial artists who are women across the whole age spectrum, and while that range of age and experience is evident across the men of SC, it's never been quite so with the women of SC. If you just think about the most well-known wuxia story outside of Asia, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, you've got the young thrill-seeking prodigy set against the not-quite-middle-aged retired adventurer who is being conspired against by the elderly villainess. Those are women of three different generations who are central characters of the tale, and all of which you get to see fight!

Heck, just the one fight in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon where Michelle Yeoh's character has to fight with one different weapon after another as each of them get destroyed in turn by the Green Destiny sword makes me wish that there was a version of Edge Master/Olcadon which was just her!

edited September 2018
    I wanna try the new weapon master boss guy because he has that muscle buster he did in the trailer

I love sword summon goofballs, all the way back to Wong in psychic force up through every dumb version of Vergil. If I can tolerate his love speeches, Azwel will be high up on my list.

templewulf on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    That is a really cool idea but SC seems way too horny to have an older lady character in it

SO how do you break throws in SC6 anyway? I need to know which buttons to mash when I think a throw is coming

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    SO how do you break throws in SC6 anyway? I need to know which buttons to mash when I think a throw is coming

It's been simplified in 6.

You can press any attack button to break a throw.

However in this one throws are front and back. Front throws are broken with neutral+attack button and back throws are broken with back+attack button.

So it's still a 50/50 but if your opponent favors one kind of throw you can kind of predict how to do it.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Also while there are some exceptions, usually front throws leave you in front of the enemy and back throws put you behind them.

Dragkonias on
    Okay, interesting. So in the scrub tiers that I will be, back throw will definitely the smarter option.

Watching some streams right now and Floe REALLY doesn't like Reversal Edge. He's making good points too.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    That is a really cool idea but SC seems way too horny to have an older lady character in it

I dunno, Ivy has to be at least 30 so she is pretty ancient by anime standards

2x39jD4.jpg
    edited September 2018

They just need to read hentai from more different categories, clearly /s
    ... well, maybe not even really sarcastically, if that would actually inspire them to broaden things

Is there any really concise and accurate resource on the basic movement systems in Soul Calibur? I'm talking things like "this is how you crouch, and this is how you crouch without accidentally sidewalking or whatever, this is what 8-way run is and this is sidestep and this is how you get one reliably and this is how you get the other reliably", that kind of thing. I've never played Soul Calibur seriously in the past, so I expect that getting into it will leave me as baffled as Tekken did at the outset.

l_g on
    l_g wrote: »

They just need to read hentai from more different categories, clearly /s
    ... well, maybe not even really sarcastically, if that would actually inspire them to broaden things

Is there any really concise and accurate resource on the basic movement systems in Soul Calibur? I'm talking things like "this is how you crouch, and this is how you crouch without accidentally sidewalking or whatever, this is what 8-way run is and this is sidestep and this is how you get one reliably and this is how you get the other reliably", that kind of thing. I've never played Soul Calibur seriously in the past, so I expect that getting into it will leave me as baffled as Tekken did at the outset.

Movement is way more intuitive in SC. You just 8 way run unless you press a button, so crouching doesn't happen unless you touch the guard button. This has some of the basics: https://www.primagames.com/games/soul-calibur-vi/tips/soul-calibur-6-controls

Just being able to hold a up or down and sidestep in the direction feels like a blessing after tekken

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited September 2018
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I dunno, Ivy has to be at least 30 so she is pretty ancient by anime standards

She was like 57 or something in 5.

But lol, philosopher's stone, get to be young forever.

More importantly https://www.primagames.com/games/soul-calibur-vi/tips/soul-calibur-6-move-lists

Lots of full(ish) move lists in there.

Radius on
    Finally managed to get to E rank in the beta.

Lord, it’s totally stoppable but spamming Tira’s Gloomy 6B makes people so mad.

This discussion has been closed.