As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    While I have not read a ton of comics, I have read Ultimate Spiderman and really enjoyed it. The fact it is almost entirely self contained is great and you can just read through it and get everything you want out of it.

It was a great modernisation of Spiderman and worth checking out if you haven't read it.

Was also what got us Miles, who I really enjoy as well.

I'm in what feels like the last third of the game and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far.

High points thus far:
    Peter and Otto's relationship.
    Mary Jane actually being involved and not saved.
    Miles is great and I assume he's going to get his powers and is playable either later or in a sequel.
    The fluidity of the movement/swinging, the cutscenes in particular were really impressive. The combat especially is really fun, interactive and deeper than Arkham combat.
    Moving past the Raft and fighting multiple bosses has been very neat, haven't had one that felt bad so far other than the poison sequence.
    Being able to just set all the puzzles to a solve button. I don't mind puzzles in some games but that's not what I'm here for. Props for still giving full rewards anyway.

Only faults I have with it are the stealth sections felt a little needless, although I like what it does for the characters involved it's a little jarring after having so much freedom. I did love the one with Mary Jane where you see Spiderman grabbing and webbing people.
    That the Raft cutscenes could have been even neater if they had a little more interactivity like the helicopter chase did.

It's impressive how good combat feels when you only have one punch button and then a handful of buttons to modify it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y11rLoYXyg
    My only fault with the stealth sections is that they should have given Mary Jane the stun gun much earlier. That really changed the pace.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Grand Central:
    I loved that the demo stealth field generator actually worked, so I could just park MJ on there and lure people over to get webbed.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Times Square:
    I loved that the demo stealth field generator actually worked, so I could just park MJ on there and lure people over to get webbed.

Do you mean Grand Central Station?

I don't recall MJ being present in the Times Square bit.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    While I have not read a ton of comics, I have read Ultimate Spiderman and really enjoyed it. The fact it is almost entirely self contained is great and you can just read through it and get everything you want out of it.

It was a great modernisation of Spiderman and worth checking out if you haven't read it.

Was also what got us Miles, who I really enjoy as well.

I'm in what feels like the last third of the game and have been thoroughly enjoying it so far.

High points thus far:
    Peter and Otto's relationship.
    Mary Jane actually being involved and not saved.
    Miles is great and I assume he's going to get his powers and is playable either later or in a sequel.
    The fluidity of the movement/swinging, the cutscenes in particular were really impressive. The combat especially is really fun, interactive and deeper than Arkham combat.
    Moving past the Raft and fighting multiple bosses has been very neat, haven't had one that felt bad so far other than the poison sequence.
    Being able to just set all the puzzles to a solve button. I don't mind puzzles in some games but that's not what I'm here for. Props for still giving full rewards anyway.

Only faults I have with it are the stealth sections felt a little needless, although I like what it does for the characters involved it's a little jarring after having so much freedom. I did love the one with Mary Jane where you see Spiderman grabbing and webbing people.
    That the Raft cutscenes could have been even neater if they had a little more interactivity like the helicopter chase did.

It's impressive how good combat feels when you only have one punch button and then a handful of buttons to modify it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y11rLoYXyg

I have been playing Assassin’s Creed Origins since I finished spider man and I keep hitting circle to try and dodge. Circle is the crouch button in ACO. So that has ended badly for me.

But there’s a stark contrast between SM’s combat which has a nice flow and feels really easy to control, and ASO which feels sort of cludgy and unresponsive.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    Times Square:

Do you mean Grand Central Station?

I don't recall MJ being present in the Times Square bit.

Shut up I didn't get it wrong I'm not stupid.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    With a little more refinement, the combat in Spider-Man could easily match and potentially even exceed the Arkham games. The dodging in particular feels too... loose, I guess? Sometimes just pressing dodge is enough, sometimes you have to dodge in the right direction, and sometimes it seems like you just can't dodge enough no matter how much you mash dodge (usually when the Sable troops pile out of the back of a troop truck).

The combat camera could be improved as well. I found myself constantly fighting to reorient the camera mid-punch in order to take the view off empty space and point it a group of enemies. The Arkham games do a really really good job of adjusting the zoom and angle to keep as many enemies on-screen as possible, and that's definitely needed here.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Even as is, I already like the combat way more than Arkham.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I went and tried that pancake recipe. Couldn't find buckheat flour, so I went with double to whole-wheat flour. And I reaplaced the butter with yogurt, because that's just what I do with pancakes.

They turned out alright. Sadly, a little blander than I would've expected, but that's kind of what you get with whole-wheat flour; it's a milder flavor. Anyway, it was kinda nice; I like that the recipe was legit.

• HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    THIS GAME WAS/IS AMAZING!

I can't wait for DLC.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    What the Arkham games got "right" with the combat was not being too overwhelmed when you have 3 or more different enemies that are all dangerous and need to be taken out in different ways. One of the issues I have with Spider-Man's combat is that enemies will. not. fuck. off. It's really hard to throw something at a whip user without somebody trying to punch or shoot you in the windup. And then when you do throw it, you'll get maybe one or two punches in before something else is trying to shoot you. It's why combat for me was starting to get a little tiresome by late game. I've gotta take some specific actions to take out the big threats, but the little to medium threats won't fuck off long enough to let me, and I can't exactly deal with them until I get the dangerous ones done first. It's why spider bro was the best skill, because it reliably gave you that breathing room to deal with things.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited September 2018
    What the Arkham games got "right" with the combat was not being too overwhelmed when you have 3 or more different enemies that are all dangerous and need to be taken out in different ways. One of the issues I have with Spider-Man's combat is that enemies will. not. fuck. off. It's really hard to throw something at a whip user without somebody trying to punch or shoot you in the windup. And then when you do throw it, you'll get maybe one or two punches in before something else is trying to shoot you. It's why combat for me was starting to get a little tiresome by late game. I've gotta take some specific actions to take out the big threats, but the little to medium threats won't fuck off long enough to let me, and I can't exactly deal with them until I get the dangerous ones done first. It's why spider bro was the best skill, because it reliably gave you that breathing room to deal with things.

Be dodging, be in the air, use gadgets, take advantage of finishers, and throw things. If you are just standing on the ground punching people, you will lose. Concentrate on the guys with guns and jetpacks first, deal with the heavies at a distance, and pick off guys from the edge of the crowd.

The big difference between Spider-Man and Batman is that Batman can wade into a crowd of goons and beat them down. Spider-Man needs to stay mobile, keep mobs at a distance, and pick his targets. He’s best working the edge of the crowd.

Phillishere on
    edited September 2018

Be dodging, be in the air, use gadgets, take advantage of finishers, and throw things. If you are just standing on the ground punching people, you will lose. Concentrate on the guys with guns and jetpacks first, deal with the heavies at a distance, and pick off guys from the edge of the crowd.

The big difference between Spider-Man and Batman is that Batman can wade into a crowd of goons and beat them down. Spider-Man needs to stay mobile, keep mobs at a distance, and pick his targets. He’s best working the edge of the crowd.

Not always possible depending on the fight and the enemies in it. This is a very extreme example that doesn't happen that often, but here's the order of operations I need to do:

-Get the whip user first, because otherwise I can't be in the air period. There's also something about their attacks that I have an unnaturally hard time dodging.
    -Then deal with the jetpacks, because they can tie you up or do that line area attack thing. They're not hard conceptually to get down, just web em and throw em, I just need 3-4 uninterrupted seconds to pull it off.
    -Sometime in between that hopefully deal with those damn turret trucks/sniper towers because between them and the regular machine gun enemies, they'll do their damndest to not give you those 3-4 uninterrupted seconds to pull something off. The trucks also felt glitchy or something, like I had to fight just to get the L1-R1 prompt to show up... and then need about 3-4 uninterrupted seconds to yank the thing.
    -Now I can start dealing with the shields, stun rods, and guns. And as a small aside, screw you dudes wearing the armor that stops web attacks.

All that in an enclosed space is why I was dreading certain crimes at the end. It didn't happen that often, and the few times I got caught with my pants down, yeah I started making sure I started those fights with some focus and the suit power ready.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited September 2018
    Triangle gets you in the jetpack guys face and punch them in the air. Keep punching, and you will stay airborn. I always take out the truck guns first, since it takes a second. Thrown things at whip guys and stay far enough away that they can’t pull you out of the air.

Remember that you can throw things while airborne. That’s a huge equalizer that you can spam until you run out of objects.

The skills that let you double finish and insta-finish guys with guns are great. As long as you spam dodge to move around on the ground - like don’t try to time it, button mash - you will get a free downed gunner or jetpack guy every few seconds. Also, fully upgrade your web shooter and watch out for guys standing near walls and objects. That’s another insta-kill.

I had the same problems with the Sable guys at first. Failed every crime. Once I switched up my tactics, they became rote.

Phillishere on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    There's a fine line between overwhelming the player and making it obvious you're playing a game. The Arkham games actually tend too much towards the latter; fight twenty guys at once and it's actual 17-19 guys waiting their turn and 1-3 attacking at any point in time, with potentially some guys in the back running for a gun or something. The bigger the fight, the more obvious it gets. And it also gets pretty silly when Batman batjumps forty feet across the room to kick a guy; yeah, that's because the combat system is designed so you can't whiff attacks at valid targets, but it's still odd.

The combat here pitches more towards overwhelming the player. Which isn't bad, except the game isn't as good at signalling the player that an enemy is attacking as the Arkham games, the camera isn't as cooperative, and a lot of abilities that help keep you from being overwhelmed take a while to unlock. Whereas the Arkham games reach a point where you just go on autopilot for the rock-paper-scissors style of combat, with the odd break to fight a giant guy or somebody with a gun, Spider-Man makes you have to actively direct the battle the way you want it to go. It's better to be aggressive, because that builds Focus faster which lets you use finishers faster which also lets you pick the problem targets to take out of the fight. And gadgets are not to defeat specific enemy types, they're meant to be used pretty constantly; even just firing off regular web shots at enemies near walls on a consistent basis will thin out the crowd reliably and quickly.

The biggest hurdle for me was to stop trying to make it play like the Arkham games. Most enemies have multiple ways you can defeat them, dodging is about avoiding damage rather than countering attacks, you should be using finishers all the time rather than sitting on Focus, and gadgets are about making the types of openings you want rather than countering specific enemies. And since the finishers aren't tied to your combo chain like the Arkham games, getting big combos is not what wins fights.

Ninja Snarl P on
    There's a fine line between overwhelming the player and making it obvious you're playing a game. The Arkham games actually tend too much towards the latter; fight twenty guys at once and it's actual 17-19 guys waiting their turn and 1-3 attacking at any point in time, with potentially some guys in the back running for a gun or something. The bigger the fight, the more obvious it gets. And it also gets pretty silly when Batman batjumps forty feet across the room to kick a guy; yeah, that's because the combat system is designed so you can't whiff attacks at valid targets, but it's still odd.

The combat here pitches more towards overwhelming the player. Which isn't bad, except the game isn't as good at signalling the player that an enemy is attacking as the Arkham games, the camera isn't as cooperative, and a lot of abilities that help keep you from being overwhelmed take a while to unlock. Whereas the Arkham games reach a point where you just go on autopilot for the rock-paper-scissors style of combat, with the odd break to fight a giant guy or somebody with a gun, Spider-Man makes you have to actively direct the battle the way you want it to go. It's better to be aggressive, because that builds Focus faster which lets you use finishers faster which also lets you pick the problem targets to take out of the fight. And gadgets are not to defeat specific enemy types, they're meant to be used pretty constantly; even just firing off regular web shots at enemies near walls on a consistent basis will thin out the crowd reliably and quickly.

The biggest hurdle for me was to stop trying to make it play like the Arkham games. Most enemies have multiple ways you can defeat them, dodging is about avoiding damage rather than countering attacks, you should be using finishers all the time rather than sitting on Focus, and gadgets are about making the types of openings you want rather than countering specific enemies. And since the finishers aren't tied to your combo chain like the Arkham games, getting big combos is not what wins fights.

Yeah. I have my web shooter maxed out and spam them constantly.

edited September 2018
    Figuring out to spam the web shots was basically the turning point in the game for me where I went from being aggravated that it wasn't more like the Arkham games to understanding that it isn't an Arkham game and that's fine. Pretty much any enemy that can be webbed up can then be knocked out in one hit by either pulling them to you and throwing them into a wall, grabbing them with a webline and throwing them into a wall, or web throwing them from the air. Any webbed enemy that hits a wall or is thrown into the ground is KOed immediately; it's not that hard to take out brutes as the first couple of targets in a fight with good use of web shots.

Whip enemies are the only enemy type that really need a specialized non-web attack to take down quickly, and even that is pretty easy since you just need a couple focus tabs. I actually found the whip guys to be much more annoying in small fights than big ones, because the big fights give plenty of opponents to build focus quickly and then you can snag the whip guy with a quick finisher.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Web bombs and electric web are your friends. They take 3-5 guys out of the fight, give you space and last forever. Easily my two favorite gadgets.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Explain this to me.

Officer Davis is Miles Morales’ father, correct?

Why isn’t he called Miles Davis?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    edited September 2018
    knitdan wrote: »
    Explain this to me.

Stepdad, I assumed.

Edit: Read the Marvel comics bio, and I was wrong. Maybe a man named Jefferson Davis just decided to spare his son the hassle of having a famous name.

Phillishere on
    Web bombs and electric web are your friends. They take 3-5 guys out of the fight, give you space and last forever. Easily my two favorite gadgets.

I like using the trip mines in combat because it's pretty hilarious when you tag a guy with one, he runs around for a bit with the laser shooting out of his chest, and then he faces and ally and they end up webbed together.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Explain this to me.

Mom's last name

Fencingsax wrote: »
    Explain this to me.

Mom's last name
    I get that, but in America the kid almost always gets the father’s last name rather than the mother’s.

I like using the trip mines in combat because it's pretty hilarious when you tag a guy with one, he runs around for a bit with the laser shooting out of his chest, and then he faces and ally and they end up webbed together.

The first time I tripwebbed 2 dudes together it was completely by accident and I yelled HOLY SHIT THAT JUST HAPPENED.

In other news, I love the drone challenges and the stealth challenges. Combat ones are meh, and the bomb ones suck and I haven’t managed a gold on any of them. I’m taking the fastest route I can find and it’s still not nearly enough.

Does the game ever go back to daytime? I’m in Act 2 and this perpetual darkness is bumming me out.

A little trick for the bomb challenges is that you can web zip to the bomb directly.

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Explain this to me.

Mom's last name
    I get that, but in America the kid almost always gets the father’s last name rather than the mother’s.

In the recent Miles-centric prose novel Ganke pretty much asked the same question before twigging to the fact that he would then be Miles Davis. So, it was either his parents, or Miles himself choosing to use his mothers name.

It makes sense that they wanted Morales to be his last name for 1) comic tradition of alliterative names; and 2) it makes his Hispanic backround more apparent since most comic art doesn't capture the subtlety of his mixed background. Though I feel like if they wanted to work their way backwards from the name, there were easier ways of doing it.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Explain this to me.

Mom's last name

I have my mother's last name.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Early game spoiler on challenges. I'm busy clearing out all the:
    Bird chases, Environment Hub thingies, Black Cat hunts and the various demon and gang battles. I've done the photos and the back packs.

I've not had much time to play recently so I've not pushed on massively with the main storyline but I enjoy swinging around and just doing this 'stuff' so much.

I've just recently had the indoor boss battle with Shocker so I don't think I'm too far in. Also the Demon helicopter chase.

Is there actually much more to unlock as the game progresses to do around the city? Or have I unlocked most of it now?

I should have more time soon so I can't wait to dig in to the storyline more. This is the ONLY game in memory where I've enjoyed doing pretty much every little sidequest and collectible.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There's one more activity to unlock iirc (and you should be able to work out what it's called via the upgrades and so on), but it's got 4 different flavours. There are a couple more crime and base variations, but that's not new-new really.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I finished the main plot last night. Story thoughts:
    Great acting, and I didn't think they'd have the guts to kill off Aunt May. The whole Doc Ock fight onwards was pretty raw.

Suit thoughts:
    Cel-shaded suit is the best one, as combining that with night-swinging through New York made me reminisce about the old '90s cartoon with the CGI landscapes

I also spent too long trying to get a good screenshot of Spider-Skull rocking out on the guitar

I still have a load of crimes to take care of, but I can see myself Platinuming and buying DLC, which will be a first as I'm normally burned out on open world games by the time I finish the plot.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I really liked the combat here, and it felt more like a superhero fight than a big tight puzzle like Arkham (which I also loved)

The whip users were the biggest problem because they can take you out of the air, but the solution was almost always to just
    ... punch them while you're on the ground. If there are some normal dudes around, they should be webbed up by web bombs and impact webs first, because you should spam those gadgets first thing to thin out crowds. Webs of various kinds make you hugely powerful and able to control enemies. I'd usually open with the bombs and a concussion blast to take out a swath of guys, impact a few others, beat up a whip guy or a brute while I'm easily able to, and then start getting into the air and bouncing around.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'm mopping stuff up for the platinum, but now I need to do better for more Challenge Tokens, and I need to wait for more crimes to pop up while I randomly swing around.

It's a bit of a slog, tbh.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Yeah, the sheer quantity of random crimes needed for the platinum is absolutely ridiculous. If you haven't already wasted your challenge tokens on Suit Mods, do yourself favor and don't. There's no trophy for getting all suit mods, and those tokens are better spent on actual suits.

Speaking of suit mods, what are your favorites? I like the one that builds up lightning with aerial attacks, and the one that makes taking damage zap nearby enemies. But the absolute best one is Witch Time the one that slows down time when you do a perfect dodge.

I did most of my run with Web Blossom as the one you have to trigger, and then one of the damage reduction ones, and the one that gives you extra focus for webbing enemies. Third slot I played around with diffferent things, but mostly went with the one where you can do an instant takedown after a bullet dodge.

That last one isn't a suit mod; it's just an upgrade you get for Spidey himself.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Platinum'd. Now to wait for the DLC.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I'm pretty close to the end, I think; I just
    took care of Rhino and Scorpion.
    Currently I'm torn between wanting to replay some of the challenges in order to max out all my equipment and finishing the story; my problem with the challenges is that especially with the drone challenges I can't seem to get beyond bronze. Any tips you have? I already know that many of the blue spheres can be web-zipped to, but even with that in mind I seem to suck at being fast as well as precise.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    Thirith wrote: »
    I'm pretty close to the end, I think; I just
    took care of Rhino and Scorpion.
    Currently I'm torn between wanting to replay some of the challenges in order to max out all my equipment and finishing the story; my problem with the challenges is that especially with the drone challenges I can't seem to get beyond bronze. Any tips you have? I already know that many of the blue spheres can be web-zipped to, but even with that in mind I seem to suck at being fast as well as precise.

Presumably you're using point launch? Remember that you can use L2 to slow down time as you aim where you want to go.
    Also, with repeated attempts you can learn which route to take. Often the drone will go around a building that you can just cut across, saving a second or two.
    Other than that, it's mainly down to practise.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I was kinda afraid of that... I'm not a big fan of time trials/races where practically the only way to improve is memorising the route. It's just not a part of racing that I enjoy. Anyway, it's good to know that that's what the game requires - thanks!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods