As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Audio editing for podcasts: old-school (Audacity) or new hotness (Reaper)?

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
I had lunch with a friend yesterday who's a part-time musician, and he mentioned the audio program Reaper to me. From what he said and what I've seen online so far, Reaper does seem to be quite a bit better than Audacity - but is it better in a way that would help with making a technically relatively modest podcast (two people recorded separately, Snowball mics) sound notably better as well? Or would it be overkill to go Reaper?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I'm not very familiar with either but Reaper has a 60 day free trial. Why don't you try it out?

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I will, but these things don’t always reveal their benefits quickly, especially since I’m far from a pro. I’d rather supplement my own first impressions with the more in-depth experiences of others.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • PressStart2ContinuePressStart2Continue game dev delawareRegistered User new member
    are you familiar with any DAW applications? (digital audio workstation) I'm a big fan of Presonus Studio One.
    I run a music-focused podcast with 2+ mouths'a'talking and it makes audio routing, editing, and clean-up a snap.

There's some initial cost for sure, but it's a fantastic piece of software you can use for music making and other fun audio projects.

Love VGM? Listen to the Rhythm and Pixels Video Game Music Podcast every Monday!
    https://rhythmandpixels.com
    I'm not familiar with DAW applications (although it seems that some people would consider Audacity one), I'm afraid. I'm not exactly in the market for a new audio editor, but since that friend recommended Reaper, I thought I'd try to find out more about it.

I'll probably try to edit next month's podcast in Reaper and see what the result sounds like, but I'd definitely be very interested in any first-hand experience people here have.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Hint: Reaper's 60 day free evaluation period lets you go past 60 days...

Anyway Reaper is great. Its stock plugins are very good, it's really easy to draw your volume automation envelopes (I think it's just ctrl+left click and drag), etc. For podcast work you're going to want do some EQ, compression, de-essing, and volume envelope drawing. It's hell to do all that in Audacity, especially since you have to commit to every move you make along the way. On the other hand it's really easy to set it all up in Reaper and make your adjustments independently. Just give it a shot. The Reaper forums are also really active so if you have support questions even within the trial period just ask over there.

ThirithBolthorn
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    This is fortunate timing for me as I am looking for something other than audacity as well. I had been using wavosaur but we want to try something else. Is reaper[dot]fm the one being referred to here?

It seemed weird to me that they wanted a check mailed to them if you purchase it, maybe I'm just being paranoid?

Edit: as an aside I had personally been avoiding audacity because one of the issues with a trojan in the update/installer a couple years ago. It appears fosshub is still where their downloader redirects to for the mirror which was the previously compromised site.

WingedWeasel on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    This is fortunate timing for me as I am looking for something other than audacity as well. I had been using wavosaur but we want to try something else. Is reaper[dot]fm the one being referred to here?

It seemed weird to me that they wanted a check mailed to them if you purchase it, maybe I'm just being paranoid?

Edit: as an aside I had personally been avoiding audacity because one of the issues with a trojan in the update/installer a couple years ago. It appears fosshub is still where their downloader redirects to for the mirror which was the previously compromised site.

Yes, that's the one being referred to. There is a way to pay through FastSpring which lets you use credit cards or paypal. I've been using Reaper for years now. Bu more from a recording musician standpoint. Only working with 2 tracks of spoken word audio would be pretty easy in Reaper. As mentioned already there are some great plugins packaged with Reaper that would do wonders for cleaning up dialog. It might be a bit overkill in what it's entirely capable of but it will definitely get the job done.

WingedWeasel
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Yeah I paid my $60 online for Reaper and got my license key instantly.

If you're considering buying right you should maybe just keep using the demo until they come out with v6.0. The reason being that license keys are good for two major version numbers: the current version and the next version. They're on version 5.94.1 or something like that now, so v6 is probably imminent at this point.

This is just to let people in the thread know that after about ten minutes of editing the current episode of the podcast (it'll go live next Saturday), I bought the licence for Reaper pretty much immediately. Non-destructive editing alone makes such a huge difference compared to Audacity, and while I'm currently using fairly generic settings for compression and EQ, I like that it's much easier to tweak effects settings and immediately hear the result. I'm also finding it much easier to do precise edits.

Thanks to everyone for your responses in this thread.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    Bolthorn