As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Can we assume that they aren't putting SotN on the PSClassic? That only leaves FFT for my "Must have" on it. I kinda hope it doesn't have it so I can save myself $99.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I feel like FFT is pretty unlikely.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm not assuming anything won't be on there.
    Yes, SotN is going to be on PS4, but FF7's there already.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm not assuming anything won't be on there.
    Yes, SotN is going to be on PS4, but FF7's there already.

Indeed. Initially I assumed SotN wouldn't make it on there since Konami has that Castlevania Requiem collection coming out, but I think the PS Classic appeals to a different crowd. I'm having a hard time envisioning this thing without SotN. Not saying it isn't possible, of course.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Konami seems pretty willing to play ball with other companies, given Castlevania in the NES/SNES Classic and Snake, Simon and Richter in Smash Bros. It's possible Konami would want people to concentrate on the PS4 re-release but this device could appeal to non-PS4 owners.

Maybe chances are pretty good? Then again I think the true wild card in this case is Sony.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Konami's hard for me to read. Licensing out the game so they can make money off of someone doing work for them seems up their alley, but so does making mystifyingly stupid decisions that prevent people from being able to pay them for their games.

• Options
    Castlevania's getting a lot of publicity at the moment (compared to a few years ago), so there's really no downside in exploiting that as much as possible. If they're not going to make a new one (because Konami) the next best thing is to re-release what they can.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Konami's hard for me to read. Licensing out the game so they can make money off of someone doing work for them seems up their alley, but so does making mystifyingly stupid decisions that prevent people from being able to pay them for their games.

At the risk of sounding naive, has Konami actually done many things to keep people from playing their old library of classic games?

I mean, I'm annoyed Sexy Parodius isn't on the Xbox Live Store, but are there many other cases like that?

• Options
    I'm assuming Konami will make more money off of SotN sales on the PS4 vs PSClassic.

• Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I had an amazon preorder in for the neogeo mini and a pair of controllers, but I've canceled it. People who have gotten their hands on it are showing the controllers to have the same analog joystick in it as the console itself. Without knowing if any other controllers are even capable of connecting or working with it, I'm just not taking a chance.

All they had to do was make some nice controllers with their nice microswitches like they're known for and they'd be fine.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    dav3yb wrote: »
    I had an amazon preorder in for the neogeo mini and a pair of controllers, but I've canceled it. People who have gotten their hands on it are showing the controllers to have the same analog joystick in it as the console itself. Without knowing if any other controllers are even capable of connecting or working with it, I'm just not taking a chance.

All they had to do was make some nice controllers with their nice microswitches like they're known for and they'd be fine.

That is unfortunate. Makes me consider cancelling mine as well. Or at least the controllers.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Betsuni wrote: »
    dav3yb wrote: »

That is unfortunate. Makes me consider cancelling mine as well. Or at least the controllers.

So far I've heard nothing but bad about the controllers. I would certainly cancel those. I can understand using that kind of joystick for the console, with it being small, and needing something that size that isn't too over engineered, but for the extra controllers?

One of the draws for me was being able to take it around and play some of the fighting games on it, but if the controllers are that bad, there is literally no point in me even having the console either.

Here's a picture someone uploaded after opening one up.
    gTWEAD1.jpg

You can see they've added weights to it as well... i guess to make it "feel" better.

dav3yb on
    PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been hearing general bad things about the Neo Geo mini. What a bummer.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I was skeptical about the Neo Geo mini the moment I saw the built-in controller.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Yeah I read a few reviews that were not impressed with the unit as a whole.

After seeing that photo I think I will go forward with cancelling the controllers. Luckily Amazon has them separated from the unit itself. I'm going to still get the unit since I always wanted a mini NeoGeo Arcade and this would be fun to have.

Edit: aaand controllers cancelled.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

At the risk of sounding naive, has Konami actually done many things to keep people from playing their old library of classic games?

I mean, I'm annoyed Sexy Parodius isn't on the Xbox Live Store, but are there many other cases like that?

Konami's backwards compatibility launches on Xbox 1 suggest they get off on being withholding. For example, Peace Walker HD.. but not the other two games in that same collection.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Just had a thought regarding the M-rated PSOne games...

What if, in addition to the PlayStation Classic-- say, if it does well -- they decide to offer up a "Mature" version with the M-rated games hypothetically left out of the PSClassic?

Would that be a good move, or bad?

I could see it not only working, but in a unique way Nintendo can't really follow, either.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Just had a thought regarding the M-rated PSOne games...

What if, in addition to the PlayStation Classic-- say, if it does well -- they decide to offer up a "Mature" version with the M-rated games hypothetically left out of the PSClassic?

Would that be a good move, or bad?

I could see it not only working, but in a unique way Nintendo can't really follow, either.

I don't see enough demand to warrant two different versions of the same retro console. Personally, without the full game list out yet I am not that interested in it. There are some games and features that could definitely get me into it though. I don't see why including M-rated games is an issue either. Literally everyone who played that as a kid is an adult now.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The PS Classic should have an M Rated sticker prominently on the box. It's more expensive than the Nintendo ones and aimed at an older audience, they should just own that.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    They could just put a parent lock option in the system.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm assuming Konami will make more money off of SotN sales on the PS4 vs PSClassic.

It's not an either or situation.

• Options

That's true, but I know that it does pull alot of the perceived value from the PSClassic if it's on both.

But then again it is $20... But then again it is Konami....

• Options

That's true, but I know that it does pull alot of the perceived value from the PSClassic if it's on both.

But then again it is $20... But then again it is Konami....

I dunno, the NES Classic didn't stop Nintendo from making NES games part of their Switch service.

There's a good argument to be made that at least a large chunk of the PSCLassic's audience doesn't have a PS4. Nostalgia and all that.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    you're all overthinking. Classic mini consoles are a quick money grab. Do the least possible effort while spending the least amount of money. I'm not saying this as a hater or anything. it's just how it is.

I mean, look at the neo geo mini. It's probably one of the dumbest things I've seen. It's dumber than that Neo Geo gold thing.

It's a non-portable device with a built in controller, a tiny kinda ok screen and a terrible video out. Plus very shitty optional wired controllers. The least horrible way to play is plugging it on the wall and maybe setting it down a table and hunching over it, or awkwardly holding it on your hands while still plugged to a wall.

The only way to win is not playing it.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    you're all overthinking. Classic mini consoles are a quick money grab. Do the least possible effort while spending the least amount of money. I'm not saying this as a hater or anything. it's just how it is.

I'd say the only reason we're seeing a real resurgence in these machines at the moment is because Nintendo disagreed with this sentiment, at least to an extent. Canoe is an excellent emulator installed on a really robust little gadget. Both the NES and SNES Minis have their downfalls, clearly, but if you go whole hog on the "least effort for the least money" route, you lose out. AtGames is finding that out now.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I'm expecting Sony to put effort into this and nor be a cheap cash grab

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    I'm expecting Sony to put effort into this and nor be a cheap cash grab

I dunno... If they had included a power cable with the thing I'd be inclined to agree with you lol.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I thought it came with a cable, but not a block, since the majority of people don't need one.

• Options
    Nintendo offerings are a bit better than the rest, but they're not shining examples of love and care either.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Nintendo offerings are a bit better than the rest, but they're not shining examples of love and care either.

What's wrong with them besides the stupid-short cables?

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Biggest I can think of is the lack of a button shortcut to get back to the main menu with the pack-in controllers (Wii Classic Controllers can do this with the home button). The only other thing I can think of is that it offers fewer games than the competition for its pricepoint. On the other hand, this can be explained by offering games from multiple companies in order to create a more holistic package, which is something the others don't do (until the PS1 Classic in December).

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »

Biggest I can think of is the lack of a button shortcut to get back to the main menu with the pack-in controllers (Wii Classic Controllers can do this with the home button). The only other thing I can think of is that it offers fewer games than the competition for its pricepoint. On the other hand, this can be explained by offering games from multiple companies in order to create a more holistic package, which is something the others don't do (until the PS1 Classic in December).

I'd add that the NES Classic's emulator is kinda poo.

SNES Classic's emulator is mostly great, though. :)

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

I've heard that it's not exactly competative with other emulators, but I tend not to be sensitive to that kind of stuff. I do with the NES emulator had a rewind feature like the SNES one does.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

I've heard that it's not exactly competative with other emulators, but I tend not to be sensitive to that kind of stuff. I do with the NES emulator had a rewind feature like the SNES one does.

It works well enough with the games actually packaged with the system (though the DF guys could point out the particular failures with a very thorough investigation). It just doesn't work well with other SNES games, like Terranigma, etc. Which considering Nintendo's original intentions with the device is not really their problem, I guess.

• Options
    Fortunately, a lot of the SNES games that don't run on the default emulator can be made to run with patches that the community (mostly one person named sluffy who had to vanish) has created. I really like that rewind feature, and yeah, if the NES Classic's emulator also had rewind, I'd be willing to overlook its sound issues.

• Options
    My solution was to use a different emulator (you end up hacking the console either way, if I'm not misunderstanding you). That was what introduced me to Hakchi CE (rather than juts plan Hakchi 2), and other system emulators as well, which substantially raised my Euro SNES Mini's value.

• Options
    My solution was to use a different emulator (you end up hacking the console either way, if I'm not misunderstanding you). That was what introduced me to Hakchi CE (rather than juts plan Hakchi 2), and other system emulators as well, which substantially raised my Euro SNES Mini's value.

Running all the NES games on a different emulator is definitely an option, but I don't like doing that because I feel it defeats the point of the system.

• Options

Running all the NES games on a different emulator is definitely an option, but I don't like doing that because I feel it defeats the point of the system.

I guess the same could be said about adding different ROMs to the storage. But I'm looking at this from the perspective of someone who only bought a SNES Mini because it was hack-able.

• Options
    Nintendo were clearly going for quality over quantity for their consoles. I don't like all the games they put on the SNES mini, but I can see why they were all picked.
    I don't like sports games or the realistic racers like Gran Turismo, but I can acknowledge the quality of them. They're just not my genre.

As for cheap cash grab, I think that's one argument for Konami letting them put games like SotN or MGS on there. For console ports some work still has to be done (the complexity in porting PS1/2/3/P games to PS4/XBO/PC(/Switch?) architecture is probably the main reason we haven't seen a Metal Gear collection this console generation). That takes time and money, and Konami have been fairly lazy in that regard. Castlevania's getting a little more attention recently, but I think that's mostly down to the Netflix show causing more people to ask what's this Castlevania thing and where can I play it.

But for the PS Classic, they literally just have to sign on the dotted line, be given money by Sony, and let them use the ROM.

• Options
    Well you could still go for quality over quantity on the NES Classic and include 3 or 4 times more games.
    even just more first party games... It's literally FREE.

the emulator could do more stuff, too, it's a bit barebones.

It's definitely light-years ahead of anything that came before, tho, I'll grant you that. I'm still annoyed that the only way to get decent Mega Drive sound is to buy one of the original first gen/batch actual consoles. The S/NES classics are like diamond studded platinum Arcs of the Covenant compared to Atgames shit.

camo_sig2.png