As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'm mixed on RTWP vs turn based. Turn based would be almost painfully slow, but more faithful. On the other hand, a grid and turn based would make things like AoE spells and positioning a lot easier.

In any case, we were promised a BG style game and that's what was delivered.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I like both types, so I'm happy either way.

That being said, the fact that we never got D&D 4E: Tactics is a fucking travesty.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I'm mixed on RTWP vs turn based. Turn based would be almost painfully slow, but more faithful. On the other hand, a grid and turn based would make things like AoE spells and positioning a lot easier.

In any case, we were promised a BG style game and that's what was delivered.

Though I think if it was turn-based I’d rather the ToEE style over grids or hexes or whatevers.

Anyway, Pathfinder is a pretty fun. Gameplay aside, I think I prefer Pathfinder’s setting to PoE’s.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Does the Abyssal Bloodline have the ability to transform into a Demon?

How workable would it be to make a muscle sorcerer that used the boosts from abyssal to claw shit up and eventually just go Demon mode(assuming it's in).

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    About that mean neighboring noble that came to court to insult me and my kingdom:
    I had a random encounter on the road where I saved him from some trolls. He says that while this is still going to all end up with one of us dead on the battlefield because of politics, he respects me now and thinks I'm doing okay ruling my lands.

The writing in this game is not bad.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I think they both have pluses and minuses.

Turn based you would ideally have combats be more meaningful and skip some of the “trash” fights to speed things up, with real time you can have a few easy breather fights in between major ones (though it is nice to have some warning, one thing I noticed in POE was that it would seem like I would run through two or three battles with skeletons or basic animats/blights/whatever, then they would throw a battery siren or whatever in and it would wreck my fact because I wasn’t expecting it.)

When we used to play real d&d I don’t remember having more than 2 or 3 combats in a session and the rest was spent doing other things.

Jealous Deva on
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I like both types, so I'm happy either way.

My biggest problem with Divinity is that they haven't figured out how to do high-level enemies that don't involve either stun-locking the party for multiple rounds or doing the equivalent with environmental explosions. By the end of the games, combat becomes a long grind of healing your companions and maybe having one party member who can do damage every round. As much as I love the other aspects of the game, I have yet to finish either of the Divinity games because of this.

With the Baldur's Gate games, I usually stumble into some combination of broken characters who sail through all but the toughest boss fights. Since combat has always been the weakest parts of these games, I'm happy playing as an overwhelming force.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

How workable would it be to make a muscle sorcerer that used the boosts from abyssal to claw shit up and eventually just go Demon mode(assuming it's in).

A sorcerer is never going to be anywhere near as good in melee as a fighter/barbarian/etc due to their low HP and attack bonus progression.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    That being said, the fact that we never got D&D 4E: Tactics is a fucking travesty.

I love 5E for tabletop playing but 4E was practically already a video game and its insane to my brain that nothing ever happened

I find myself rather enjoying the writing. I mean it isn't overly original, but it is well told and that's what matters most.

Also a lot of these quests feel, I'm not sure how to describe it, natural I guess. Like, I don't typically feel as if I am being lead by the hand, but at the same time I do not feel like the game isn't giving me any information. I feel like I get just enough info to start piecing things together on my own. Whether or not it is a clever trick, the whole thing comes off like my own initiative and cleverness is paying off.

I also get the impression that there is usually more than one way to go about accomplishing a given quest. Again, maybe it is a neat trick, but it feels like instead of getting an A, B, or C choice at the end of a quest, its outcome largely depends on my previous actions and path I took to get to the end. Which I greatly appreciate.

The writing is about as good as some of the best table top games I've played in, and that's exactly what I want and is really good overall

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

A sorcerer is never going to be anywhere near as good in melee as a fighter/barbarian/etc due to their low HP and attack bonus progression.

Does that make those bonuses completely useless? I don't care about being the best. But the option is there and it gives bonuses to melee stats and has melee abilities. Is it just a straight up garbage option that shouldn't even be available? Is it like something you could get by with? Or is there an easy mode where it totally won't matter at all?

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Depends if Tensers Transformation is in the game. It's an arcane spell that turns your Jekyll into Hyde.

Otherwise I'd go Eldritch scion (Cha based magus) and do it that way.

Moridin889 wrote: »

Depends if Tensers Transformation is in the game. It's an arcane spell that turns your Jekyll into Hyde.

Yea a magus was my back-up option. Or maybe a Dragon Sorcerer person.

But I saw Abyssal bloodline listed and turning into a demon is just something I've wanted to do with a Pathfinder character for awhile and since I have no one to play the table-top with this could be my one chance to make it happen!

Axen wrote: »
    I find myself rather enjoying the writing. I mean it isn't overly original, but it is well told and that's what matters most.

Also a lot of these quests feel, I'm not sure how to describe it, natural I guess. Like, I don't typically feel as if I am being lead by the hand, but at the same time I do not feel like the game isn't giving me any information. I feel like I get just enough info to start piecing things together on my own. Whether or not it is a clever trick, the whole thing comes off like my own initiative and cleverness is paying off.

I also get the impression that there is usually more than one way to go about accomplishing a given quest. Again, maybe it is a neat trick, but it feels like instead of getting an A, B, or C choice at the end of a quest, its outcome largely depends on my previous actions and path I took to get to the end. Which I greatly appreciate.

The game offers a lot of dialogue hints that don't get translated into journal entries. It actually feels pretty good in context, since you can fail or half win because you didn't think about what is going on or rushed to an easy solution.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

But I saw Abyssal bloodline listed and turning into a demon is just something I've wanted to do with a Pathfinder character for awhile and since I have no one to play the table-top with this could be my one chance to make it happen!

You get a bloodline as the Cha Magus too. He's a sorcerer. With pointy things too.

I just looked it up and you don't get to turn into a demon. The only real transformation the bloodline gives you is the claws. I wouldn't try for a muscle sorcerer on normal or above, but it should be alright on the lower difficulties.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

I just looked it up and you don't get to turn into a demon. The only real transformation the bloodline gives you is the claws. I wouldn't try for a muscle sorcerer on normal or above, but it should be alright on the lower difficulties.

I'm playing a muscle sorcerer on normal currently, but I'm planning on transitioning to Dragon Disciple at lvl6. It's doable, but your spell selections have to be pretty specific (mostly transmutation and abjuration spells) and it's not as universally enjoyable as being a blaster can be.

Extreaminatus on
    edited October 2018

The game offers a lot of dialogue hints that don't get translated into journal entries. It actually feels pretty good in context, since you can fail or half win because you didn't think about what is going on or rushed to an easy solution.

Indeed!

Actually there is a dumb thing I find myself doing often in RPGs like this. When talking to a quest giver I ask myself, "Can I actually figure out what to do based on what they told me?". More often than not the answer is a firm "no" and it is by virtue of the quest log and map that I actually know what to do, both of which will contain info I never actually received.

A couple times already I've spoken with a random NPC who might offhandedly mention some that isn't highlighted or appears in my quest log, but makes me go "Hmm". Then upon looking in to it I discover a quest route that I had no idea existed previously. If I wasn't paying attention I could have easily missed it and carried on through the quest a different, more obvious way.

fake edit- Actually the writing is very solid that I am curious as to who wrote it- oh Chris Avellone. Duh, okay, that explains that then. :razz:

Axen on

Ah boo there goes that idea for me then.

I'll have to see if the Dragon Forms look cool because that may be a back up idea.

I always play a sword dude and while Magus sounds right up my sword dude alley was sorta hoping to use something a little different in this. But if murdering things in a cool dragon form isn't great Magus would probably be the go to.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Hey. today's patch breaks spell selection for character creation/level ups. So you may not want to download it till the hotfix comes out.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

I love 5E for tabletop playing but 4E was practically already a video game and its insane to my brain that nothing ever happened

There are so many games that seem like they would have been obvious for someone to make that no one ever did for some bizzare reason.

Like why did no one ever make a modern Dark Sun sequel in the infinity or aurora engines? Why did no one ever do a proper single player eberron game?

As much as did get done with the d&d license and as successful as it was (when it wasn’t a giant clusterfuck like tales of the sword coast) it does seem like they could have gotten a lot more mileage out of it CRPG wise.

Maybe if interplay hadn’t gone to shit some of that would have gotten done.

edited October 2018

I'll have to see if the Dragon Forms look cool because that may be a back up idea.

I always play a sword dude and while Magus sounds right up my sword dude alley was sorta hoping to use something a little different in this. But if murdering things in a cool dragon form isn't great Magus would probably be the go to.

So, uhhhh, I hate to keep raining on your parade, but I figure it's better than letting you invest a bunch of time just to be disappointed. Dragon Sorcerers don't turn into dragons. Dragon Disciples eventually can, but it's the same as the spell a Wizard (level 11), Sorcerer (level 12), Magus (level 16), and Alchemist (level 16) can get and can only do it once per day.

Edit: And this is assuming the Form of Dragon spell is in this game. I think it's a pretty safe assumption because it would be a weird one to omit, but you never know.

BionicPenguin on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

So, uhhhh, I hate to keep raining on your parade, but I figure it's better than letting you invest a bunch of time just to be disappointed. Dragon Sorcerers don't turn into dragons. Dragon Disciples eventually can, but it's the same as the spell a Wizard (level 11), Sorcerer (level 12), Magus (level 16), and Alchemist (level 16) can get and can only do it once per day.

Edit: And this is assuming the Form of Dragon spell is in this game. I think it's a pretty safe assumption because it would be a weird one to omit, but you never know.

Dragon Sorcerers learn Dragonkind I/II/II at levels 13/15/17 as additional spells known.

captaink on
    captaink wrote: »

Dragon Sorcerers learn Dragonkind I/II/II at levels 13/15/17 as additional spells known.

Oh right. I forgot all about the bonus spells.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So I held off on this game because the scaling sounded pretty bonkers but saw a comment on an FB post saying that some hotfixes and patches have gone out that are starting to address these issues. How are y'all finding the game with a few patches under your belt?

I really wanna play this cause while I never played Pathfinder, I did play a lot of 3.0/3.5 era D&D and grew up in the Infinity Engine era so I'd love me some quality CRPG goodness in my life again, I just don't want to try it while it's getting worked on and end up with a bad taste in my mouth.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Honestly it seems fine to me so far.

I mean there are encounters and areas that you are just not meant to face early on but that you can still stumble in to. It's like BG or BG2 in that way. There isn't a warning, you find out the hard way.

Sometimes the game will drop not-so-subtle hints that you'll die if you do. I suspect a lot of gamers are not used to a game actually being honest about how hopelessly outmatched you are sometimes.

Other times you might get a quest that sends you to an area with a very hard monster. You might not actually have to kill the monster to complete the quest, if you use your head.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

I mean there are encounters and areas that you are just not meant to face early on but that you can still stumble in to. It's like BG or BG2 in that way. There isn't a warning, you find out the hard way.

Sometimes the game will drop not-so-subtle hints that you'll die if you do. I suspect a lot of gamers are not used to a game actually being honest about how hopelessly outmatched you are sometimes.

Other times you might get a quest that sends you to an area with a very hard monster. You might not actually have to kill the monster to complete the quest, if you use your head.

This is all true, but the game is also not very clear about any of the rules, feats, spell mechanics, attack rules, armor system....

Basically all of the stuff that should be in the game so you can figure the stuff out without failing a hundred times. There is also some real math and stat distortion on all the difficulties above normal, and even on normal monsters have boosted stats that can sometimes make your fighter miss 20 times in a row and still die in one hit, then on reload you win the fight in half a second.

I'd say wait until they figure the shit out, it's a ton of fun but if you haven't played PoE 1/2, Tyranny or Wasteland 2... start with those, they're more complete games.

dispatch.o on
    edited October 2018
    If you played BG, BG2, IWD, or IWD2 then all that info is second nature to you.

Which I’m fairly confident @TOGSolid is familiar with.

Esit- apart from that I’ve not encountered anything that wasn’t explained.

Right-click on stuff to get info, by the by.

Axen on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Missing 20 times in a row and dying, redoing it and winning in half a second sounds exactly like a dice based game.

So it’s fun that that translates well.

McHoger wrote: »
    Hey. today's patch breaks spell selection for character creation/level ups. So you may not want to download it till the hotfix comes out.

Ahh I was wondering what was happening when I leveled my wizard

dispatch.o wrote: »

This is all true, but the game is also not very clear about any of the rules, feats, spell mechanics, attack rules, armor system....

Basically all of the stuff that should be in the game so you can figure the stuff out without failing a hundred times.

What do you not understand? There's lots of help available in-game, and I'm happy to help here. :)

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Familiarity with D&D 3.0/3.5 or Pathfinder are things you'll want because yeah the game absolutely feels like it was built with that in mind.

Like Elvenshae said though if you have questions feel free to ask there will be people in the thread happy to help.

Speaking of which

Kobolds vs Mites
    I appear to be stuck. I made the kobolds and mites neutral to me at the start via diplomacy and now I've scoured every inch of the maps except one little corner of the caverns that has some skeletons that maul me. I assume that this is where I have to go as it's the only place left other than the locked chamber of the mite queen that they won't let me in.

I'm pretty worn down at this point though and I'm out of rations to camp so I think I'm going to have to trek all the way back to unload and restock and then RNG my way through the skeleton fight.

By all means let me know if I'm just missing something obvious.[/spoilers]

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Speaking of which

Kobolds vs Mites
    I appear to be stuck. I made the kobolds and mites neutral to me at the start via diplomacy and now I've scoured every inch of the maps except one little corner of the caverns that has some skeletons that maul me. I assume that this is where I have to go as it's the only place left other than the locked chamber of the mite queen that they won't let me in.

I'm pretty worn down at this point though and I'm out of rations to camp so I think I'm going to have to trek all the way back to unload and restock and then RNG my way through the skeleton fight.

Sycamore dungeon
    Speak to the kobold leader. He'll give you the key to the locked door. Might be behind a check, I don't recall.

Hellbore wrote: »
    Speaking of which

Kobolds vs Mites

Sycamore dungeon
    Speak to the kobold leader. He'll give you the key to the locked door. Might be behind a check, I don't recall.

Sycamore dungeon
    The Kobold Chieftan just tells me I should go kill the Mite Queen.

I want to resolve the war peacefully but I'm rapidly approaching the point where I'm just going to murderloot them all for wasting my time.

Not really in line with the whole neutral good alignment thing I have going on but I've already wasted like five hours on these little jerks :P

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Speaking of which

Kobolds vs Mites

Sycamore dungeon

Sycamore dungeon

I want to resolve the war peacefully but I'm rapidly approaching the point where I'm just going to murderloot them all for wasting my time.

Not really in line with the whole neutral good alignment thing I have going on but I've already wasted like five hours on these little jerks :P
    Weird, he just gave me the key when I asked for it, but that was hours ago or my so maybe I'm forgetting some steps.

Speaking of which

Kobolds vs Mites

Sycamore dungeon

Sycamore dungeon

Weird, he just gave me the key when I asked for it, but that was hours ago or my so maybe I'm forgetting some steps.

I may have just messed something up on my initial interaction with him. I'm going to see if I can find a way to get to the queen and then if that doesn't work I might just move on and come back later.

Figured it out

Sycamore dungeon
    Even after you have the keys to get in to the locked area you have to talk to the mite Warrior Queen again so she'll have the guards let you through.

I blame this on waypoints in modern RPGs. Back in the day I would have tried talking to every NPC all over again by default :P

This discussion has been closed.