As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    kp0sxfui3fa8.png

I don't know the names of the monsters well enough to match them up with the images. I was talking about the critters that are adjacent to the trap. The one-black-two-white monster (a Flame Demon, I guess?) at the top left will go left around the damaging terrain on its way out the door. The movement of the one-black-two-white monster at the top right will depend on how fast it is - if its speed is 3+ it will go to the right around the lava tiles, if its speed is 2- it will go left around the lava tiles.

In the current position, none of the monsters will go into either lava or the traps, since there is a path that will eventually get them out the door without having to go through lava or traps. If there were a monster directly left of the trap, then some monsters with speed=1 might be forced through the trap, or if there were a monster directly left of the row of three lava tiles, that might force some slow monsters through the lava.

edit: actually wait I'm wrong, if the triple-white monster immediately right of the trap is speed=1, it is going to decide that it has to go through either lava or the trap to get out, so it'll choose to go through the trap. The Flame Demon at the top-right of the lava is blocking the long way around, for critters with speed=1. Monster pathing is hard :/

Fry on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I'm sorry. I should probably mention the Flame Demons have fly. So the 2 white 1 yellow in the middle is hovering over a lava tile. I updated the map tile for it to make a bit more sense. Just know the a flame demon put the trap there and he is gone now.
    2c8t5g38ialu.png

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Ah, ok, if there's a lava tile under that guy, that changes things.

- All of the Flame Demons don't care about any of the lava tiles OR the trap, since they have flying, so they will just hustle as close as they can towards the party. There can still be some weird things happen if they have very slow moves and there's a huge pileup of other enemies blocking spots they want to get to

- assuming no jump/fly for the non-Flame Demon enemies, they are probably going to take the (very long) path around all of the lava tiles and trap. If they are only speed 1 though, that Flame Demon at the top right is "permanently" blocking the safe path around the lava. The first one of those two units to move will step on the trap; the other one will probably starting moving as if to walk through the lava, assuming some of the other critters haven't gotten out of the way.

Fry on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Ok I think I am starting to get it.
    If the non demons have speed 1 as a base stat on their card and it's their turn to move first and the fire demon is blocking the safe route they have to go on the trap/lava. (Which one would they go through first?)
    But what if their ability card modifies their movement for +1? Then they would head for the safe route right?
    Say the 3 yellow monster moves up two hexes to the right of the lava tile. What happens if that monster (usually has 3 movement) draws an ability card and drops him down to 1 movement for the turn? Would he start heading back towards the trap or continue on the safe route with the flame demon blocking?

Riokenn on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    The easy solution here is to just kill/stun/immobilize the bastards before they can activate. :p

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Ok I think I am starting to get it.
    If the non demons have speed 1 as a base stat on their card and it's their turn to move first and the fire demon is blocking the safe route they have to go on the trap/lava. (Which one would they go through first?)
    But what if their ability card modifies their movement for +1? Then they would head for the safe route right?
    Say the 3 yellow monster moves up two hexes to the right of the lava tile. What happens if that monster (usually has 3 movement) draws an ability card and drops him down to 1 movement for the turn? Would he start heading back towards the trap or continue on the safe route with the flame demon blocking?

Each turn they determine which direction they're going by their current speed (and movement mode, for enemies that only sometimes fly/jump) - they assume that they will always be moving at that speed and that all of the other enemies will remain exactly where they are (even though that's probably a bad assumption).

I don't see anything on page 31 (Monster Interaction with Hazards and Traps) specifying whether monsters prefer to go through lava or traps, so I think that would be player's choice (assuming both get the monster equally close to their target in the least amount of movement and damage spaces).

If triple-yellow guy has a base speed of 1, he'll go through the trap if his movement modifier is zero. If he has a +1 speed modifier, his speed for this turn is 2, and he'll see that he could eventually get there going the long way around, so he'll move up two. If he does that, and next turn none of the enemies have moved, and his speed modifier for next turn is +0, he will in fact move back down a space, since he can't complete a safe path at that speed, so he'll revert to the shortest path. The monsters aren't terribly bright!

edit: shit, the diagram and explanation on page 31 kind of disagrees with everything I've been saying. I have no idea. *flips table*

Fry on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Yeah I remember the example they give on that page saying the Archer wouldn't go backwards because it wouldn't bring it closer to the enemy. So the monster just sits there.

So in my first example, me leaving triple white there by the trap was right.....right? I would also leave triple yellow there as well whenever he had range in his attacks that turn.

EDIT: For the sake of the example on Page 31 I'll say that I should have had triple white move around the hazardous hexes to get in range to the left of the trap hex to attack. Though I will say if triple yellow ever moved, then triple white has a viable spot to snipe. Depending how far away he was from that hex and the hex to the left of the trap.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    There's a flowchart on BGG that helps. In the Archer example, there's a valid non-trap path (through the other enemy) and they move as far as they can along that path (even if that movement is zero). Other monsters effectively don't exist when they're figuring out a path.
    2c8t5g38ialu.png

In that image, the monsters to the right try to go all the way around, because that's the only non-trap path. If they're movement 1, they'll have to stop at any monster who happens to be along the path. If a trap shows up on that path, then there's no non-trap route to attack, so they'll take the one with the least hexes; probably through the actual trap tile. I think it's player choice between hazards and traps.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Played a scenario tonight where I accidentally mistook Inox Guard icons for (additional) Inox Archers. We didn't catch it until we had cleared the room, by which time it was far too late to correct the error. Might have actually made things marginally harder but impossible to say since we would have made different decisions anyway. Just gonna ignore the variant and keep the win.

In other news, those icons (and the Vermlings') are way too similar at such a small size...

• Options
    About item 113:
    If you use Skullbane Axe for an area effect attack it only works on one enemy or all the enemies in the red hexes?

About Cragheart pushing Flying Monsters:
    When using Heaving Swing on flying monsters and pushing them towards obstacles, do they destroy the obstacles or hover over them?

About Ranged Monsters and Focus:
    Say there is a Monster with ranged attack and on an adjacent Hex there is a cragheart and two hexes away from the Monster there is a brute. Is the monster with range backs up and focusing the cragheart or standstill for the brute? What if it cannot move this turn? Would it focus the cragheart with disadvantage or go for the brute instead?

• Options
    About item 113:
    If you use Skullbane Axe for an area effect attack it only works on one enemy or all the enemies in the red hexes?

About Cragheart pushing Flying Monsters:
    When using Heaving Swing on flying monsters and pushing them towards obstacles, do they destroy the obstacles or hover over them?

About Ranged Monsters and Focus:
    Say there is a Monster with ranged attack and on an adjacent Hex there is a cragheart and two hexes away from the Monster there is a brute. Is the monster with range backs up and focusing the cragheart or standstill for the brute? What if it cannot move this turn? Would it focus the cragheart with disadvantage or go for the brute instead?

Only works on one enemy, flying monsters still destroy the obstacle and take damage, and focus is determined before attack is figured out (so it'd focus on the adjacent enemy and then try to move away, if it can), respectively.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Is it possible to order replacement blue item cards? Somehow we seem to be completely unable to find them. We used YASS to sort stuff and in the process I think they might have gotten thrown away or something because I am at a complete loss on where to find them and we didn't need them until tonight. Is there a way to order replacements?

edit: answered my own question: http://www.cephalofair.com/contact

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I'm with you, SG. I foresee GLOOMHAVEN getting so much play with so many different groups that I, um...

bought a second copy just to have spare parts. Which I've already needed to dip into.

• Options
    We failed scenario 33 last week which lead us to a question...

When monster abilities are flipped for the round, are they open information (can players read what they are going to do for the round) or can everyone not know what they do until the monsters initiative happens?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

When monster abilities are flipped for the round, are they open information (can players read what they are going to do for the round) or can everyone not know what they do until the monsters initiative happens?

Monster cards are open information once revealed. Note that they are revealed AFTER the players choose their cards, so you can't choose your actions knowing what is coming.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

Monster cards are open information once revealed. Note that they are revealed AFTER the players choose their cards, so you can't choose your actions knowing what is coming.

It's amazing to me how nearly everyone's instinct is to try to find ways to make Gloomhaven harder when it comes to interpretation. No insult intended to anyone, it's just a strange trend.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited September 2018

Ah, thanks!

Another question I had was about some abilities that gives buffs to players as long as they are next to them. Specifically the Tinkerer's Enhancement Field. Say the Tinkerer ends his turn near a brute with that card. If the brute moves away does he retain the +1 attack buff or does he have to stay near the Tinkerer for the buff?

Same with this Sun's ability card:
    Protective Blessing
    You and all adjacent allies suffer no damage this round.

Riokenn on
  • Options
    They have to be next to you for the effect to occur, so if they move away after you've put it up, they get nothin'.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    After a couple weeks off due to work conflicts and other issues, we got the party back together for a quick mountaineering expedition to the top of something called Icecrag? Sounds pleasant!

Having conquered that mountain, we now find ourselves faced with a more difficult choice than the Demon's.

Which reminds me, we still haven't sealed that rift...

So many quests, so little time.

• Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    So we are REALLY struggling to complete personal goals. These things seem impossible by most standards. Complete 4 forest missions, we've done 1, and the only other unlocked one we tried, but it's impossible without better gear. #81 for anyone interested.

Another person had something like 15 allies exhasted? That's a MASSIVE number....

Man, maybe we just had some bad draws.

• Options
    texasheat wrote: »
    So we are REALLY struggling to complete personal goals. These things seem impossible by most standards. Complete 4 forest missions, we've done 1, and the only other unlocked one we tried, but it's impossible without better gear. #81 for anyone interested.

Another person had something like 15 allies exhasted? That's a MASSIVE number....

Man, maybe we just had some bad draws.

2nd edition toned down a lot of PQ numbers (as well as number of boxes per Prosperity tier). They aren't included in the FAQ, so you have to look them up; this BGG thread lists all the PQs in their 2E incarnations. We definitely used the new version for at least one that we've completed because the 1E version would have taken forever.

This doesn't help for all of them, mind. Notably "complete two missions in X region, then unlock a special set of subquests" doesn't change and it can be tricky to get that to work in your favor unless you unlock a lucky random quest via treasure chest or event. If my group hadn't done just that my Mindtheif would still be active; we've only found ONE Lingering Swamp mission that wasn't a random.

• Options
    wait, 2e? Like, a whole different version of the game? Or just like....major errata change...I've not heard of a 2e gloomhaven....

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    wait, 2e? Like, a whole different version of the game? Or just like....major errata change...I've not heard of a 2e gloomhaven....

The second printing clarified / made official a lot of streamlining and changes not present in the first printing. If you've got a copy from the initial set (which it sounds like you may have), several things are harder than they otherwise might be.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

The second printing clarified / made official a lot of streamlining and changes not present in the first printing. If you've got a copy from the initial set (which it sounds like you may have), several things are harder than they otherwise might be.

Quick check to see what edition you have: are your HP/XP trackers complete shit? If so, you have 1E.

• Options
    Yes they are complete shit. So where can i find a full listing of the differences?

• Options
    The official FAQ covers the important changes: clarifications, errata, misprints, etc.. The QoL stuff like quest/prosperity thresholds aren't considered errata, though, so those you have to hunt for.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Ya'll ever use the enchanter.
    Seems too pricey to me

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Seems too pricey to me

Toward the end of my Mindthief's run I enhanced a card or two. I had all the equipment I needed and donating to the church can only be done once per scenario. My Eclipse is reaching that point but sucks at looting so is kinda poor.

Also whenever a character retires we tend to enhance them on the way out in case one of us decides to roll up a new one later. Might as well get a benefit from selling all your gear, right?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Seems too pricey to me

We've mostly busted him out for enhancing the routine bits of cards we know we'll be using regularly (eg: non-Lost attacks on some of the characters with relatively few). Once you've got a decently-established character and most of your slots full it's not usually too much trouble to bump up the cards you can be pretty sure you'll play at least a couple times a mission.

The really-cool Enhancements are definitely overpriced but I think it's meant as a tool for continuous play in random missions; the later campaign stuff, while not exactly easy, isn't a giant ramp up in difficulty from the early bits either.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    There are some characters who just can't make much use of items, so they tend to get a few potions or whatnot and sit on a stack of cash. Enhancements are useful there.

Also, stuff from following along with the town records book:
    Jeebus, the Oozing Grove was nuts. Just so much poison all over the place, eating all our healing. We did get lucky in that the oozes spawned for like five straight rounds, but even so, it was down to the wire. Had to hoof it back from the left tree all the way to the right, since we were only doing it with three characters. Probably our hardest mission yet.

I'm amused that we're basically cashing in all our sidequests at the end of the game, though, since we met three "you can now read more" checkpoints in the book all at once. Like coming back to a quest vendor in the starting town.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    So I learned today that connecting two tile maps without a floor tile connecting the two map tiles means its a wall. Oops.\
    Good for future scenarios though. Have a couple of other questions that happened last night:

Sun Icon Ability question
    Lay on Hands makes me fully heal an ally but I deal 3 damage to myself. Can I use it even though I have 2HP left? I used it last night and ruled to exhaust a card from my hand to negate damage.

Scenario Goal question
    If a Goal is to loot a treasure tile and the one that looted the treasure tile exhausts before the current round ends, but there are still other players alive do we still complete the scenario? Pretty much does the character who looted the treasure goal need to be alive for the current round to beat the dungeon?

Riokenn on
  • Options
    After a bit of a long break, we played "Diamond Mine":
    Diamond Mine was a bit scary since our Tinkerer who was not invisible opened the door, and the massive room full of scouts happened to draw a card that gave them all ranged attacks that round, so most of them got to move up and attack immediately. Also, the Overseer drew its ranged attack, and used it to spear the Tinkerer for 9 damage in one hit, yeesh! Fortunately, they did not quite manage to kill the Tinkerer, who lost a few cards to avoid the worst hits. My Scoundrel was able to use Smoke Bomb to sneak through the crowd and land a 20 damage hit on the Overseer and collect the treasure tile objective, which was good enough to help the rest of the party finish off the Overseer. A relatively quick scenario, clocking in at about 1.5 hours.

It was obvious that Jekserah was going to be evil, but how evil she went was a little surprising. Since the first scenario had gone quickly, we decided to get another game in. At first we set up to do Gloomhaven Warehouse, but oops, completing Diamond Mine permanently blocked that scenario, wasting our setup time. Then we decided to head to the Streets of Gloomhaven to thwart Jekserah's plans. This was a bit of a mistake, as that scenario is quite long (took us like 4 hours to resolve):
    It was really cool to have City Archers and City Guards on our side. They actually did a decent job of holding off the undead - we pushed our way through the crowds of undead in the first two rooms and left the archers and guards to deal with them, and the archers actually ended up winning those fights eventually! I had some problems mismanaging my action cards and items near the end, and had several turns where I wasn't doing much but sitting around invisible. I did manage to sneak through to Jekserah and land a pretty big Smoke Bomb hit on her, though not as vicious as the previous scenario. Eventually the rest of the team was able to clean up, and we got a win. I got lucky and drew "have an enemy on the map at the end of every round" for two checkmarks, which was super easy with the slow fights between the archers and the undead.

• Options
    After a month off for various reasons, Faded Legacy returned to clean up some messy business involving poisoned water. Thankfully we knew where the source was and headed there. We were victorious, but it sure didn't look like that at one point. Thanks to a sacrifice play by Two-Minis we were able to achieve a favorable board position and our mages went house on the boss for the victory.

I don't know what the in-character justification is for Two-Minis being able to do some of the things it can do, but it has saved our asses on multiple occasions.
    Specifically, its ability to swap the positions of enemies and/or figures. Warping the boss out of its comfortable nest of allies and isolating it sure saves a lot of time.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    After a month off for various reasons, Faded Legacy returned to clean up some messy business involving poisoned water. Thankfully we knew where the source was and headed there. We were victorious, but it sure didn't look like that at one point. Thanks to a sacrifice play by Two-Minis we were able to achieve a favorable board position and our mages went house on the boss for the victory.

I don't know what the in-character justification is for Two-Minis being able to do some of the things it can do, but it has saved our asses on multiple occasions.
    Specifically, its ability to swap the positions of enemies and/or figures. Warping the boss out of its comfortable nest of allies and isolating it sure saves a lot of time.
    Basically I think the Vermling is some kind of druid / shaman type and can do funky magic stuff when not commanding the bear. Note also the Monolith, which is one of the more head-scratching powers in the game but a cool idea.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options

That is a great Boss-Killing ability.

• Options
    edited October 2018

That is a great Boss-Killing ability.

It was also hilarious in our previous session, which was an "escape" scenario. Three of us went about our normal business and then as soon as we get eyes on the goal suddenly our buddy appears like Cecil Turtle.

"How the hell...?"

"Just... uh, runnin'."

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Every time I leave that card out, it turns out I really needed to move. Irksome.

Have just retired that character, though, and I'm onto the Cthulhu face one. I... get the feeling I might be annoying my co-players a bit.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Every time I leave that card out, it turns out I really needed to move. Irksome.

Have just retired that character, though, and I'm onto the Cthulhu face one. I... get the feeling I might be annoying my co-players a bit.

Yeah that was our most recent unlock. It... requires a bit of precision.

• Options
    But when you absolutely, positively need to clear out a room full of Mooks, Cthulhu is your, um, man.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    But when you absolutely, positively need to clear out a room full of Mooks, Cthulhu is your, um, man.

I don't find its DPS to be that efficient. Most of its massive AoEs (that I've seen) are Attack 1 and suffer whenever enemues have shielding. The real benefit comes from the statuses it throws around (and occasionally removes).

Vyolynce on