As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Valkyria Chronicles] You Got Your RPG in my World War 2 - VC4 on PC Sept 25!

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    "Your snipers are now sniper elites! You're now cleared to use interception fire."

...What.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Wait, the tiny european monarchy represents the United States, and the largest federation to the west fighting the other superpower to the east doesn't?

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    "Your snipers are now sniper elites! You're now cleared to use interception fire."

...What.

It's not as awesome as it sounds. Snipers fire way too slowly to actually do much to a running enemy.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Does it use up their ammo?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Maz- wrote: »

As far as I can tell, no.

Ditto Grenadiers. Limited attacks on your turn suddenly turn into an endless rain of mortar fire on the enemy's turn.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

...What.

It's not as awesome as it sounds. Snipers fire way too slowly to actually do much to a running enemy.

The best interception fire is pretty much always going to be shocktroopers and your tank.

Out of curiosity, is tank supporting fire as broken OP in this game as 1 and 2?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Wait, the tiny european monarchy represents the United States, and the largest federation to the west fighting the other superpower to the east doesn't?

No there is an actual US. The United States of Vineland. They make most of the weapons the allies are using.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

On the other side of the pond, right?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    In-universe people joke that the US is using the Second Europan War as a testing ground for their weapons.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Wonder if their capital is the District of Erikson.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Ditto Grenadiers. Limited attacks on your turn suddenly turn into an endless rain of mortar fire on the enemy's turn.

It's still not quite as amazing as it sounds. If you look on their character sheet you can see there's a separate attack listing for the infinite ammo interception fire, it's less than half the normal damage.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    edited September 2018
    Ugh, chapter 6.
    Reinforcements appearing out of nowhere and moving on the same turn was just bullshit. I beat the mission, but just barely with, with only three infantry units alive at the end. I only won because the reinforcements only moved once per turn and couldn't quite reach my camps to capture them.

Also, getting a A rank seems especially difficult on this one.

Maz- on
    TamerBill wrote: »

It's still not quite as amazing as it sounds. If you look on their character sheet you can see there's a separate attack listing for the infinite ammo interception fire, it's less than half the normal damage.

Yeah, I played around with it, and while it's nice that they'll actually counterattack, the damage is like you said, probably 33%.

They also have the same "flaw" that shocktroopers have with their interception. It's a pretty narrow angle. Depending on just how you're facing, an enemy can just walk right on by you.

It might make the sniper rifles with status effects on them more attractive though, so it's not a total loss. And even if it's a weak shot, a hit is a hit. And some enemies stop dead in their tracks the second they take fire.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    If someone on my squad is reduced to zero health but I get to them to trigger the squad medic, do they return to my roster to be used in a later mission? If I don’t get to them are they permanently dead?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

If someone on my squad is reduced to zero health but I get to them to trigger the squad medic, do they return to my roster to be used in a later mission? If I don’t get to them are they permanently dead?

If you get the medic to them, you can redeploy them on the next turn in the same battle if you want. Otherwise you have 3 turns or until an enemy touches them, at which point you'll get a little scene of them going "Aw nuts" and a message saying they died.

• IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    so i have two extra stories i assume are the squad 7 dlc. When is the right time story wise to do them? does doing them get me edy's gang? also why is edy's squad so popular?

I also noticed at least for skirmish one. do they don't give extra on enemy kills? cause i made sure to wipe the field before finishing and it doesn't seem to effect scoring?

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I just advanced my shock troopers to flamethrowers and I forgot how I just love them so much in Valkyria games. Wanna duck my point blank machine gun? Okay, burn to death.

Even then, flamethrower.

Are you the magic man?
    Illieas wrote: »
    I also noticed at least for skirmish one. do they don't give extra on enemy kills? cause i made sure to wipe the field before finishing and it doesn't seem to effect scoring?

You get extra exp/gold for killing tanks, turrets and enemy aces, but nothing for killing grunts. Overall rank is still entirely determined by turn count.

I liked that one of the old upgrades was "this flamethrower isn't really as effective as others, but it's a slightly more horrific way to die."

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    holy crap the siegval line is a garbage series of missions.

lesson of the day. save scum.
    also, am i misremembering? or did vc1 let you see the actual battlemap with visible enemies from your starting point?

because ill say this, chapter 4 part3 mission has 2 deployment spots that 100% guarantee you to have 2 downed soldiers before turn 1 starts.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I just did Chapter 4 Part 2 last night (which I really liked) so I haven't seriously tried Ch 4 Part 3 yet - just had a peak at the first turn before turning off the Switch. But yeah, two poorly placed Scouts were downed before I could even take action. I'm hoping that Shocktroopers or Lancers in their place will be able to survive when I give it a proper go.

But, ultimately, I'm assuming that it's more intimidating than it lets on in retrospect. Like with Ch 4 Part 1, which I took eight turns to complete the first time through. When I replayed it (to get the A rank) it clicked that I should just ignore the Anti-Infantry guns, focus on their Anti-Tank, and roll out with my armour. Ended up finishing with the last CP of turn four.

As an aside, if anyone is having trouble with the A rank, what I did:
    On the left of the map, turn one send a Scout into the long grass as far as they can go. Have a Grenadier blow up the enemy Scout. Turn two run the Scout to capture the camp and then continue and grenade the AT gun facing south. Turn three or four grenade the north facing AT gun.

Centre of the map have the Hafen take out the two near tanks over the first two turns, with support from a Grenadier to clear some of the infantry that's around. Push forward enough that you trigger the enemy tanks showing up before turn two ends. Have an Engineer run up, capture the enemy camp, and repair the Hafen. Turn three and four take down some enemy tanks with the Hafen, as CP permits, and roll towards the final camp to mortar it.

Right of map snipe the enemy Sniper to clear the tower. Dan picks up a Sniper and a Shocktrooper and guns it for the enemy camp, shooting the guy there. Sniper gets out, captures the camp, and spends the rest of turns one and two killing the enemy Grenadiers from the tower. [Make sure to get them down between turns. First time through, Kai got blown out of the tower, resulting in it's destruction. So I had to deal with their harassment... which kind of worked out, as one of them blew up their own pillbox trying to shoot Raz.] Turn three roll the ally tank forward and down the enemy tank. Use the Cactus to ram the enemy Lancer out of cover, shoot him, and then pull up in the enemy camp. Shocktrooper guns down enemy, captures base, and runs up the embankment. Second CP to grenade the AT gun, and start heading back to the Cactus. [Raz ended up taking some gatling fire on the opponent's turn, but not too badly hurt.] Turn four, get back to Dan, who can reach the middle camp. Hop out, capture it, hop back in. Head to the final camp and do the same.

LordSolarMacharius on
    Yeah, "that boss" is an asshole. Bit of a protip:
    The bullshit gatling gun that gets to intercept fire while he's moving, it's a separate, targetable part, so you'd be doing yourself a big favor by destroying it at least.

And that asshole will show up again pretty soon, so don't relax just yet.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I managed to A rank all the Breaking the Line missions over the weekend. I had to look up a guide for BtL2, but a lot of my strategy centered around moving around a Stormtrooper+Engie/Grenadier around far enough in the Cactus so that they could destroy emplacements/get to the objective while making liberal use of First Aid, Defense Boost and Evade Boost.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited October 2018
    ill probably write up a football plan of action for chapter 4 part1-3 myself.

but it can boil down to:
    save scum
    dont fill the whole deployment roster on turn1
    blitzkrieg on turn 1.

thats just so you can get the A rank minimal fuss. after that, do what you want to do.

chapter 5 is pretty good for xp farming. you can sweep the board by the top of turn3 with minimal fuss and the right deployment setup.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    I'm really liking the squad stories. One for just being a slice of characterization for everybody who would otherwise be ignored in the greater story (though the game does a better job paying them lip service in most cutscenes). And second for introducing me to characters I might otherwise have passed over. Like Simon, who is wonderfully fucking insane and hilarious. Or Odin, who I figured was just a generic light edgelord, but then his potentials kick in and he's all "Oh god we're all gonna dieee!"

• LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    (Simon was an instant addition to the team as soon as I saw him!)

Last night I did a couple of the squad stories I had unlocked. They were fun missions, and a couple of those flipped Potentials will make a huge difference.

(Now I'm wondering if Viola's squad story will see her lose the racism...)

About Squad Story mechanics...
    After the squad story, only the Potential in the fourth slot is changed. Or, if the fourth slot is empty, a new Potential gets added there. So you can tell which Potentials are gonna get changed and which ones won't.

edited October 2018
    Due to some extreme luck at the beginning, Chapter 4 Part 3 ended up being a breeze for me:
    I did end up putting Jimmy and Keigel out front - I was hoping two lancers could take things better, and thought that maybe having two characters that liked each other would help too. And it did. The first couple turns involved Jimmy dodging some gun fire, brushing off a mortar blast, and the Vulcan firing it's cannon into the ground before it could blow him away. It was the enemies' third turn before the Vulcan rolled out in pursuit of the Hafen and Cactus, by which time they had such a long head start (and I had killed a lot of the enemy leaders) that there was no catching them.

I was pretty sure Theresa was just too far away from reaching the end point (from the starting base) in one go, so I spent a fourth turn blowing up their other tanks and clearing some of the map. Thankfully still A-ranked in one go, as I don't think I'd want to ever replay that one.

Oh, and I'm coming around on Lancers. Between the one Squad Story forcing me to use Laurent and that last mission seeing Keigel get a run out, I've got to say that there's a (somewhat childish) appeal to strolling through a Shocktrooper's intercepting fire to launch a rocket point-blank into him.

LordSolarMacharius on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I want to finish the demo only bonus mission before cracking open the main game. Does anyone have any tips?

I want to finish the demo only bonus mission before cracking open the main game. Does anyone have any tips?

All you need for that mission is a grenadier to clear out threats and Minerva to claim bases.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    ill probably write up a football plan of action for chapter 4 part1-3 myself.

but it can boil down to:
    save scum
    dont fill the whole deployment roster on turn1
    blitzkrieg on turn 1.

thats just so you can get the A rank minimal fuss. after that, do what you want to do.

chapter 5 is pretty good for xp farming. you can sweep the board by the top of turn3 with minimal fuss and the right deployment setup.

My tip for Chapter 4 Phase 1:
    Putting your own sniper in the tower allows for easy enemy grenadier removal

Complaint about Chapter 4 Phase 1:
    The locations of the ragnite containers near the improvised pillboxes really rewarded save scumming

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So I finished up Chapter 6 last night, and that was some hot bullshit.
    Took me two tries. The first time I did all the things the game seemed to be indicating I should do. Blew up the barrels to hinder the enemy's mobility, and used my tank and APC to plow on through and fuck people up. I took the enemy camps no problem.

Then the stated mission objectives change. Crazy reinforcements begin flooding in, and everyone gets murdered. Also, the fire does nothing to them. So fuck me I guess? Scouts charge up from the south, capture a camp, and end my game in short order.

Ok, at least now I know how the game is planning on hosing me. I play it again. I make sure to completely wipe the OpFor off the map before I capture the second camp. I put Kai up in the west tower and immediately kill both enemy grenadiers that spawn. I put two of my own grenadiers among the quad of tents in the center of the map. I throw a Lancer in the East tower near where the Vulcan pops in. I have shock troopers behind sandbags at every camp to ward off those pesky scouts.

This time I mercilessly slaughter all of them. The pair of enemy snipers that rush in from the south managed to pick off one of my scouts. But I had an engineer run down and grenade them. And at the very end the Vulcan mortared Kai and Raz to death one turn before I mortared it to death. Kai was even in the tower, and Raz on the ground behind it... but mortars I guess? Their blast radius is more of a column than a sphere? But all things considered, I think I did well.

I mean I still got a D rank, but fuck the game, it doesn't know what it's talking about.

I do wonder though. If someone is down and needs help, and then I win the mission, does that count as them having gotten help? I hope it does.

Also, I've been told this is the most bullshit of the chapters? Is that true? Please say it is. Because if this rest of the game is basically "Play once to learn how the game is scripted to ambush you and force a loss, then play again knowing exactly where the ambush is and win easily" I don't know that I can do this.

I didn't think it was very "bullshitty" but... maybe gird your loins on Ch. 9...

And so long as you don't see the brief cutscene of a character going "My only regret... is that I'm dying" followed by the clear message "Character has died in battle", then they're A-OK even if you beat the map without ever reaching them.

edited October 2018
    yea chapter 6 was kinda bs. first time through, i got a b rank because i was out of position, but second time i A ranked it.

you are able to sweep the board by turn 2. that should allow you to setup turn 3 for the second phase of the mission. at the top of turn 4 you cap the last base, the vulcan emerges, you get 5 extra CP, now you spend like 15CP on the 4 reinforcements and nuke the vulcan with cannon rounds to disable the forward gatling gun and walk in with anti-armor mortars.

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I couldn't figure out how to get a scout across the map in the demo bonus mission, until I watched a video and couldn't figure out why her stamina refilled to full.

The Command command spends a SP and does that?

Did that, and I am now cleared for the main game.

• TayaTaya Registered User regular

Luckily I don’t care about rank and I will accept this victory.

Uh, how are you supposed to get an A rank in chapter 10?
    It seemed to me like the mission ended automatically after turn 5. I had already eliminated all of the enemies of the ground during turn 3, so the last two turns were just spent sniping the bombs and soldiers on parachutes.

It seemed to me like the mission ended automatically after turn 5. I had already eliminated all of the enemies of the ground during turn 3, so the last two turns were just spent sniping the bombs and soldiers on parachutes.
    I just did this mission. I think you might have just missed an enemy, because I also wiped out everything and the mission ended at the end of turn 4.

There's nothing in the ice caves to the left, I ran a scout through them just to make sure. Dunno where one would be hiding though. Between taking all the camps and having snipers at the left and right perches, that's virtually the entire map visible.

I just did this mission. I think you might have just missed an enemy, because I also wiped out everything and the mission ended at the end of turn 4.

There's nothing in the ice caves to the left, I ran a scout through them just to make sure. Dunno where one would be hiding though. Between taking all the camps and having snipers at the left and right perches, that's virtually the entire map visible.
    Hm, now that I think about it, I couldn't get a sniper up on the ledge on the right side of the map during the first turn, so one of the bombs hit the ship. Maybe that's why I didn't get an A rank.

Anyway, references!

Do7ODZFU0AENuZh.jpg

Do7ODZHV4AA2-ez.jpg

Do7ODYmU8AAiayM.jpg

• Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Man did I miss something or did the Chapter 2 demo mission not make any sense?
    The mission was to identify the real tanks to tell your artillery the location so they could blow them up. You lose radio connection with them so you decide to use the clock towers to give them the info. I was assuming it was going to be some coordinates or some such but then it's the same number for each tower? Ok I say, how is this telling them where the tanks are? I proceed quite interested in what the explanation is. And the number is just.. a date that the girl recognizes? What? How does that identify the tanks and their locations? The only 3 clock towers all show the same number that is a date she knows and now she can target all the real tanks...?

Okay, so I'm over a month late with this, but I only just now got around to playing the demo. But I remembered this post so paid some extra attention, and it's actually kiiiinda legit?
    The game has you shoot the clocks to show 715 on the top row, and it'll trigger a short little scene and boom, tanks blow up.
    But the numbers on the two bottom rows change too as soon as the cutscene triggers. Pretty sure those are supposed to be the coordinates for the tanks.
    It's just the cutscenes are skipping all of that stuff in between getting the top row correct and shooting/ringing the bell, with no indication that anything was skipped.

Still plenty of fridge logic to complain about - (that's a lot of shooting to get the right numbers, are three numbers per tank enough for coordinates?, why not re-use a single tower if you can change those numbers at will, and uh, quite convenient that fog cleared up, eh?) But ah, whatevs. It's close enough, and I'll just blame the lack of explanation on an editing/pacing/translation oversight. This was given some thought behind the scenes, just wasn't presented properly. I'll take it.

I, ah, took some screenshots, but I'm on my phone right now and I'm not too sure how to get those screenies off of my Switch without resorting to taking out the SD card or Twitter. ... Twitter, ugh, really?

Anyway. Verisimilitude, saved! Yay? Dunno if that's enough to make you reconsider getting the game or not. Still a bit on the fence myself - I think I'll pick it up, but may wait a bit. (So much backlog.)

As for the turns = rank thing ... I'm fairly sure you can replay missions and get any missed awards/ranks at any time, which perhaps takes some pressure off of 'do it right the first time'?
    Maybe someone can confirm?

Ark Evensong on