As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DnD 5E] You can't triple stamp a double stamp!

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I asked my DM if my intelligent gnome sized familiar (who currently run's the party's bar) would violate slavery laws when we get to waterdeep and he doesn't have an answer

I guess it's good I didn't put him on the spot inside the city, it seems like the game doesn't really think about the implications of certain classes of familiar? I've been trying to find a 3rd edition supplement that ponders this question because there's a 3rd edition supplement for everything

override367 on
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I asked my DM if my intelligent gnome sized familiar (who currently run's the party's bar) would violate slavery laws when we get to waterdeep and he doesn't have an answer

I guess it's good I didn't put him on the spot inside the city, it seems like the game doesn't really think about the implications of certain classes of familiar? I've been trying to find a 3rd edition supplement that ponders this question because there's a 3rd edition supplement for everything

Would it still possess the ability to run a bar without the familiar bond boosting it's intelligence? If so, yes, you've enslaved a sentient creature via a magical contract.

But is it illegal? Infernal contracts aren't precisely illegal, just frowned upon and I think this would follow similar case law as it's effectively the same thing, except you probably don't own its eternal soul.

Moridin889 wrote: »

Would it still possess the ability to run a bar without the familiar bond boosting it's intelligence? If so, yes, you've enslaved a sentient creature via a magical contract.

But is it illegal? Infernal contracts aren't precisely illegal, just frowned upon and I think this would follow similar case law as it's effectively the same thing, except you probably don't own its eternal soul.

Nah she just has to work for me for 100 years, that was the agreement I made with the random goblin commoner before using a fey ritual to turn her into an immortal spirit that specializes in brewing magical liquor, so its probably roughly the same thing

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I keep missing things as a DM, important things, and it's ticking me off.

CoS spoiler
    i missed that the grandpa Martikov blames the middle son for one of the vine gems disappearing and that's why that son is in Vallaki. I thought two gems disappeared recently to the druids. I had to have wave away the reason they don't get along. Luckily my plan on having the Baba make a deal for a get with the druids salvaged that part of it, though the party has barely heard of Berez, knows nothing of it, and has no clues to lead them there for any reason other than potentially wondering over there (which this group of players will not do).

Then just tonight, i did the special event where the group leaves Argynvostholt and meets Esmeralda with Arugal in pursuit. I missed the part where he leaves if the party won't give her up, had his group attack her (i rolled real well on his attacks and real shit on her con save so he took her to half hp in one round), and the party defended her so now I'm out Arugal.

The party is 5th lvl, they just explored most of Argynvostholt and interacted with everything in there just about. They missed a few rooms, wanting to take a long rest just outside, but there is nothing special in those rooms so that will be the first 10 minutes of best session. They know what they need to get to make the place better and they know where to get it (loosly, anyway), but they don't want to go there into they level up some more and get more magic items. Now that Esmeralda is here they are discussing going back in to take by force
    the +2 greatsword from revenant leader since they have assumed that to be the item that madam Eva divined was in here to help them deafeat Strahd, and don't realize it's the book strapped to his belt.

This seems like an attractive course of action because they are deathly afraid (both characters and players) of going to where they need to go to get the thing that will solve Argynvostholt for them.

Complicating matters is that the players know about Strahd
    scrying their lowest wisdom party member every day
    but the characters don't know that.

Not really sure what do about that other than hand jamming in a
    cloak of non-detection
    in some loot somewhere (Amber Temple maybe? Another place they are afraid of), but at that point what prevents Strahd from burning another spellslot to switch his efforts to another character, after all he already met them all in person for several hours? I haven't even bothered using any of his
    spies
    after he became interested enough in the group to use that particular feature.

steam_sig.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So my party did white plume mountain in a weird order that's making things interesting
    they hit the black razor path first so one of the characters is currently wielding black razor, now they've gone down the right path towards whelm all the way to the turnstyle, then after dealing with the hanging globe room (where the wielder of black razor picked up 144 temp hit points off the air elemental) then turned back to the middle path. I'm gonna pull a switcheroo and make the monsters in the middle corridor straight up warforged robots. Like the veteran and the crab are easy peasy, I add some warforged traits to the veteran, and the crab literally just becomes a large copper rune inscribed crab with no changes outside the ones detailed in the book...I just gotta figure a standin for the werewolf caster

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Nah she just has to work for me for 100 years, that was the agreement I made with the random goblin commoner before using a fey ritual to turn her into an immortal spirit that specializes in brewing magical liquor, so its probably roughly the same thing

Now see, that's just payment for immortality. They are providing payments for services rendered. No big deal. I mean if someone wanted to make me an immortal that's great at parties for the low cost of 100 years I'd do it in a heartbeat.

What I'm saying is you got ripped off

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    We finally finished the Amber Temple last night. Whew that thing is a slog and just very different in feel than everything else in CoS that I've run into so far.
    Some spoilery stuff below.

I've resisted my "curse" from earlier pretty well with checks and it's effects are wearing off thankfully.

Our Halfling Rogue climbed an Amber Golem to attack it, that was fun.

The "treasure" room has some of the funniest most worthless stuff every. Good times.

My bard is leaving with an urn that makes wine and a Shield Guardian bodyguard. Better than any dark pacts.

I think our party is going to be split on what to do with the absent minded Lich. A few see it as an abomination and the others see it as mostly harmless if left alone.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
    Ken O wrote: »
    We finally finished the Amber Temple last night. Whew that thing is a slog and just very different in feel than everything else in CoS that I've run into so far.

I've resisted my "curse" from earlier pretty well with checks and it's effects are wearing off thankfully.

The "treasure" room has some of the funniest most worthless stuff every. Good times.

My bard is leaving with an urn that makes wine and a Shield Guardian bodyguard. Better than any dark pacts.

I think our party is going to be split on what to do with the absent minded Lich. A few see it as an abomination and the others see it as mostly harmless if left alone.

Nice.

Spoiler about the last thing you said in your spoiler
    you can cure his condition with a high lvl spell
    which turns him into a regular ol' evil lich

steam_sig.png
    Oh other fun stuff from white plume
    they definitely immediately got the flesh golem puzzle. Like a bunch of my table are super nerds so the only non prime number jumped out immediately to all of them to the point I had to have them roll int checks to figure out which characters would actually know prime numbers that well. Not a hard dc (really just kinda figuring out who got it first in game, almost like riddle solving initiative), we had 2 folks nat 20 the roll so they got to have a nice little in game nerd moment where flesh golem number 5 stops talking and before anyone else can say anything they both call out number 9 in unison. So the party has a flesh golem with them now which is dope as hell... it took maybe 10 seconds after they got it before they decided they needed to get on master blastering this flesh golem (over half the party is small sized and can technically use the flesh golem as a mount). I think it's really gonna save their bacon if niner (what they've named the flesh golem) makes it to the crab fight.

edited October 2018

Now see, that's just payment for immortality. They are providing payments for services rendered. No big deal. I mean if someone wanted to make me an immortal that's great at parties for the low cost of 100 years I'd do it in a heartbeat.

What I'm saying is you got ripped off

She has a goblin's wisdom so has completely misinterpreted me buying her fancy clothes and stuff as my character being in love with her (instead of just wanting my representatives to look cool), and my character has 8 wisdom so I've interpreted her puppy like affection as fealty to one's master.

it's been a running joke at the table

I was worried about using a more powerful nonstandard familiar, but the DM controls it so my familiar ends up often looting anything alchemical to use in brewing (while invisible, if possible), without telling anyone, and only sharing it with the party if it seems dire

override367 on
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Nice.

That's sad, and boring. I really like the absent minded Lich. I'm going to hug him when I leave. Call him Uncle Bones.
    I knew he could be restored by a Greater Restoration. We have a scroll for that right now, but it is 100% getting used on the Cat Girl my Bard is crazy determined to help.
    Partly because he wants to help her. Partly because he really enjoys pissing off her mother.

Comics, Games, Booze

Nice.

That's sad, and boring. I really like the absent minded Lich. I'm going to hug him when I leave. Call him Uncle Bones.
    I knew he could be restored by a Greater Restoration. We have a scroll for that right now, but it is 100% getting used on the Cat Girl my Bard is crazy determined to help.
    Partly because he wants to help her. Partly because he really enjoys pissing off her mother.

The party i DM for murdered the mother in cold blood. I was like, remind me what alignment you all are?

steam_sig.png
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    All these CoS spoilers I cant read! one of the games I play in is CoS and we're in what I suppose is the amber temple, based on all the amber.

CoS spoilers
    We left last session with a giant statue shooting fireballs at the party and we all ran different directions to hide so I'm sure we'll be fiiiiinnneeeee.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    All this talk of CoS is giving me urges...

We just hit level 8 and my Glamour Bard now has a Charisma bonus of +5. That means when I use my mantle ability I can give a free movement and temp hitpoints to 5 different people! I can't wait till next Wednesday. I still need to pick a new spell though. I've changed my mind a dozen times on that one.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I don't play a lot of magic users, but every time I do spell selection is always paralyzing to me.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    We started a new game last week playing Waterdeep Dragon Heist and I am super excited to play again. I really liked the intro bits to the adventure. Also I get to play a Drow without it being weird or a "why is that person here?" situation. The city has tons of them.

• XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I wanna play a high level sorceror and pick Time Stop so I can say something cool then mic drop and walk a mile away without anyone being able to do anything about it.

I think picking on theme or what would be most fun is probably the best, like a wizard with all the Conjure Element cantrips instead of actual useful ones.

Khildith wrote: »
    All these CoS spoilers I cant read! one of the games I play in is CoS and we're in what I suppose is the amber temple, based on all the amber.

CoS spoilers
    We left last session with a giant statue shooting fireballs at the party and we all ran different directions to hide so I'm sure we'll be fiiiiinnneeeee.

Go talk to the statue its friendly

Nealneal wrote: »
    We started a new game last week playing Waterdeep Dragon Heist and I am super excited to play again. I really liked the intro bits to the adventure. Also I get to play a Drow without it being weird or a "why is that person here?" situation. The city has tons of them.

I'm probably going to use a bunch of material from dragon heist, but unfortunately It's plot is too tied up in the nitty gritty of faerun's plot elements me to lift the whole thing.

edited October 2018

Isn't a big thing about the plot of dragon heist that all the Drow have to disguise themselves when in public?

override367 on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Isn't a big thing about the plot of dragon heist that all the Drow have to disguise themselves when in public?

No idea if that is a main plot element or not. I pitched being a Bregan D'aerthe Spy to my DM and he got super into it. I was given a thing to disguise myself that I am effectively in debt to some shady dealer for forever (it wears out and I have to go get another one every week or so) to make me look less drow-ish.

No idea if that is a main plot element or not. I pitched being a Bregan D'aerthe Spy to my DM and he got super into it. I was given a thing to disguise myself that I am effectively in debt to some shady dealer for forever (it wears out and I have to go get another one every week or so) to make me look less drow-ish.

That sounds great, Jarlaxle is the best one to hang out with

CoS spoiler
    i missed that the grandpa Martikov blames the middle son for one of the vine gems disappearing and that's why that son is in Vallaki. I thought two gems disappeared recently to the druids. I had to have wave away the reason they don't get along. Luckily my plan on having the Baba make a deal for a get with the druids salvaged that part of it, though the party has barely heard of Berez, knows nothing of it, and has no clues to lead them there for any reason other than potentially wondering over there (which this group of players will not do).

Then just tonight, i did the special event where the group leaves Argynvostholt and meets Esmeralda with Arugal in pursuit. I missed the part where he leaves if the party won't give her up, had his group attack her (i rolled real well on his attacks and real shit on her con save so he took her to half hp in one round), and the party defended her so now I'm out Arugal.

The party is 5th lvl, they just explored most of Argynvostholt and interacted with everything in there just about. They missed a few rooms, wanting to take a long rest just outside, but there is nothing special in those rooms so that will be the first 10 minutes of best session. They know what they need to get to make the place better and they know where to get it (loosly, anyway), but they don't want to go there into they level up some more and get more magic items. Now that Esmeralda is here they are discussing going back in to take by force
    the +2 greatsword from revenant leader since they have assumed that to be the item that madam Eva divined was in here to help them deafeat Strahd, and don't realize it's the book strapped to his belt.

This seems like an attractive course of action because they are deathly afraid (both characters and players) of going to where they need to go to get the thing that will solve Argynvostholt for them.

cloak of non-detection
    in some loot somewhere (Amber Temple maybe? Another place they are afraid of), but at that point what prevents Strahd from burning another spellslot to switch his efforts to another character, after all he already met them all in person for several hours? I haven't even bothered using any of his
    spies

Any suggestions on what I should be doing about Strahd's
    scrying
    ?

steam_sig.png

CoS spoiler

cloak of non-detection
    spies

scrying
    ?
    the see invisibility or nondetection spells I supposed are the only real answers

CoS spoiler

cloak of non-detection
    spies

scrying
    ?
    the see invisibility or nondetection spells I supposed are the only real answers

How would they get rid of it if they saw it? Dispel?

steam_sig.png
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    i managed to pull some tears out of my table today

i can retire my DM jersey

CoS spoiler

cloak of non-detection
    spies

scrying
    ?

How would they get rid of it if they saw it? Dispel?

Just moon him until he stops watching

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I'm painting up some giant miniatures for our next campaign in Storm King's Thunder. I have a hill giant painted up, and have ordered two storm giants and a fire giant. Should I get a stone giant and frost giant as well? or more of one variety or another?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited October 2018
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So I'm painting up some giant miniatures for our next campaign in Storm King's Thunder. I have a hill giant painted up, and have ordered two storm giants and a fire giant. Should I get a stone giant and frost giant as well? or more of one variety or another?

Are you DMing? Do you plan on running all the giant strongholds or picking just one? The Giants generally don't mix with each other.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    No, just a player, and am getting back into painting so I thought it would be fun to have some nice giant minis for our DM to use.

webguy20 on
    Gotcha. But like, if your group does say the fire giant thing and your DM doesn't bother sending you elsewhere, that pretty much the only ones you'll need.

steam_sig.png
    Gotcha. But like, if your group does say the fire giant thing and your DM doesn't bother sending you elsewhere, that pretty much the only ones you'll need.

It's not like its a big deal. I'll just have a couple giants painted up of the main types then. Not like I won't be able to use them for years to come.

I think I'm going to steal the cassalanter stuff from dragon heist.
    I might just steal the idea of the founders day party, and put my dragon nobility in the middle of the end game for the cassalanters. Make it a thing they have to figure out as it is happening, maybe get some devil fights in. I'm trying to figure out if I want to do an intro scene with a throwaway thieves guild party trying to hit one of the gold shipments, but failing miserably.

Alright so I think I have the leveling progression squared away for my next character. 1 Level Paladin, 1 Level Warlock, 3 Levels Paladin, 2 Levels warlock and see where I go from there.

It just seems rough when multiclassing that potentially your proficiency bonus is going to fall pretty far behind depending on how you split up levels.

Alright so I think I have the leveling progression squared away for my next character. 1 Level Paladin, 1 Level Warlock, 3 Levels Paladin, 2 Levels warlock and see where I go from there.

It just seems rough when multiclassing that potentially your proficiency bonus is going to fall pretty far behind depending on how you split up levels.

Proficiency is based on character lvl not class. A lvl 4 paladin lvl 4 warlock has the proficiency of any other lvl 8 character.

steam_sig.png

Proficiency is based on character lvl not class. A lvl 4 paladin lvl 4 warlock has the proficiency of any other lvl 8 character.

Sweet. I missed that when going through how multiclassing works. Thanks!

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

Sweet. I missed that when going through how multiclassing works. Thanks!

Yep, only downside of not getting to level 5 in a martial as soon as possible is no Extra Attack. Upside though is cantrips scale based on total character level so Eldritch Blast/Green Flame Blade/Booming Blade all get their extra damage.

Yea I rushed to 4 to get the ASI, then switching over to warlock I get my invocations which really pump up Eldritch blast.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    i managed to pull some tears out of my table today

i can retire my DM jersey

Oh boy, that is the dream.

I've been able to make my players terrified of my games but to make them shed tears?

To strike at their hearts?

Yessssss

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
This discussion has been closed.