As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Half of all U.S. households now have an HDTV

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
...according to the Consumer Electronics Association. Clicky:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/index.jsp?epi_menuItemID=887566059a3aedb6efaaa9e27a808a0c&ndmViewId=news_view&ndmConfigId=1000017&newsId=20071228005263&newsLang=en

Wow. But considering it's now almost impossible to find a non-HDTV in stores, this isn't too surprising.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd be willing to bet at anywhere for 30-85% of the people with HDTVs don't even watch programs in HD, have an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player, or have their game system outputting in HD. Of everyone I know with an HDTV, most of them don't know what the hell they're doing.

Treeloot on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    No, but it proves that 50% of households are prepared for the big switch to HD, which, IIRC, is in 2012. Another four years and that number will probably be around 90%.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The thread title is misleading.

Maybe I'm reading the article wrong, but it doesn't say that that 50% of all households have a HDTV. It says that 50% of all households have a digital television.

It also says that some 32 million DTVs will be shipped next year, with 80% of them being HDTVs. That means that if all shipped HDTVs were bought next year, there would be an additional 11% of the US population that own an HDTV.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    No, but it proves that 50% of households are prepared for the big switch to HD, which, IIRC, is in 2012. Another four years and that number will probably be around 90%.

The analog to digital switch will only effect over the air broadcasts and not cable or satellite TV. Most people with the money for an HDTV probably already have cable or satellite TV, and won't be effected by the switchover. Poor people watching over the air broadcasts on their old TVs will be the ones most effected by the switch.

Treeloot on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    I was talking about the Standard Def to High Def switch, not the analog to digital switch.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    I was talking about the Standard Def to High Def switch, not the analog to digital switch.

I've heard that some companies will offer more HD channels in 2012 when the analog switch off occurs, but i've never heard of an enforced standard to high definition switch, nor can I find any evidence such a thing exists on google.. That aside there are 4 high def Tvs in my house, the only one that has any kind of high def signal is the one in my room with a 360 and ps3 attached to it, its actually very sad D:

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    There is no forced switched to any "high definition", just a change from NTSC broadcasts to ATSC. Broadcasters aren't required to supply content in 1080i or 720p, but most broadcasters will probably offer one of the two, or even both, since one ATSC 'channel' allows for multiple simultaneous video streams (six at a time if they're standard definition, less at higher resolutions.)

You will recieve 5.1 channel Dolby Digital AC-3 audio on all channels though, since that's part of the ATSC standard.

Monoxide on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Treeloot wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet at anywhere for 30-85% of the people with HDTVs don't even watch programs in HD, have an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player, or have their game system outputting in HD. Of everyone I know with an HDTV, most of them don't know what the hell they're doing.
    Word. Add in "have 4:3 images stretched out and 4:3 letterboxed images stretched out."

I walked into a Best Buy a week ago and they had four widescreen HDTVs lined up at the entrance doing that (4:3 letterboxed stretched out) looping previews for stuff like The Simpsons Movie.

TM2 Rampage on
  • bashbash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's a bit generous to suggest that most broadcasters will be supplying HD content in the next few years. There's ~25 years of Betacam and ~15 years of Digi Beta/D-1/D-2 recordings in tape libraries all over the country. I'm betting the ratio of SD to HD broadcasts will be somewhere around 20:1 for the next several years simply due to the huge base of syndicated SD content. For the next ten years HDTVs will only be displaying mostly SD content (unless you only watch HD broadcasts and Blu-ray movies). :(

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wish to god their was a standard format for HD movies. I'm scared shitless to buy either format player in case a major movie I want comes out on the other one or one eventually flops. The whole thing is retarded. It hurts the consumers and is slowing down the HD movement as a whole.

YodaTuna on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    I wish to god their was a standard format for HD movies. I'm scared shitless to buy either format player in case a major movie I want comes out on the other one or one eventually flops. The whole thing is retarded. It hurts the consumers and is slowing down the HD movement as a whole.

Get that Samsung dual-format player coming out soon.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited January 2008
    Drez wrote: »

How much will that shit set me back?

YodaTuna on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

i'm assuming price is the mitigating factor, or else he'd just buy one of each type of player...and the dual format players do/will cost more than buying a separate player of each type, so yeah..not a smart buy
    edit: and to answer yodas question, 800$

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm calling BS. I find that hard to believe on the level of being almost assuredly false.

Edit: Oh, I see, it's just DTV. I still find that sketchy. It implies that 50% of people have replaced their TV in the last, what, 5 years since DTV became commonly available for semi-reasonable prices? I'm sure most DTV are HDTV, and HDTV is only about 15% last time I checked, which was a few months ago.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    edited January 2008

i'm assuming price is the mitigating factor, or else he'd just buy one of each type of player...and the dual format players do/will cost more than buying a separate player of each type, so yeah..not a smart buy

FUCK THAT! I'm pretty much just waiting to buy a PS3 at this point and pray to god that Star Wars comes to Bluray.

YodaTuna on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

FUCK THAT! I'm pretty much just waiting to buy a PS3 at this point and pray to god that Star Wars comes to Bluray.

Dunno man, backing Sony formats has historically been a pretty bad idea.

Brolo on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope Blu-Ray comes out on top, as it has more storage space, to my understanding.

TM2 Rampage on
  • bashbash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I too am holding off buying an HD disc player until one format becomes clearly dominant. Even then I don't feel either of the HD disc formats really offers me much more than DVD does. DVD was a clear win over VCD, LaserDisc, and VHS. Several hours of high-quality video and audio could be stored on an easily handled and relatively durable disc. With the HD disc formats the only real end user benefit is more pixels to feed an HDTV. For most people that's not a big enough improvement to spend money on.

I'd love to feed my TV with HD movies but my DVDs already look pretty good and I already have a PS2. I can watch movies I own or my Netflix rentals for $0 extra dollars. I'd have to spend a nice chunk of change on a dual format player and hope it would play future revisions Blu-ray discs (player profile 1.1? 2? WTF Sony, write a spec and then make products, not the other way around). I'd rather have downloadable HD content and forget about discs entirely. Blu-ray's 50GB discs are cool but 1TB HDDs have crossed the $300 barrier. I would rather download movies than buy a plastic disc.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    bash wrote: »
    The other way around). I'd rather have downloadable HD content and forget about discs entirely. Blu-ray's 50GB discs are cool but 1TB HDDs have crossed the $300 barrier. I would rather download movies than buy a plastic disc.

As of early last year the yields on those 50 GB discs were horrendously low. Like, one in five hundred dual-layer discs manufactured were usable. That little tidbit was taken from AVSforums, so you'd have to dig around there if you're interested in the source.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • SniperLogicSniperLogic ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm calling BS. I find that hard to believe on the level of being almost assuredly false.

Edit: Oh, I see, it's just DTV. I still find that sketchy. It implies that 50% of people have replaced their TV in the last, what, 5 years since DTV became commonly available for semi-reasonable prices? I'm sure most DTV are HDTV, and HDTV is only about 15% last time I checked, which was a few months ago.

Actually, the estimate is pretty reasonable. Nielsen's current semi-official estimate of HDTVs in the U.S. is (I'm giving a wide margin of error here) about 20-30%.

Since all HDTV are DTV, I wouldn't be surprised at all that the penetration of DTV is around 50% or so.

SniperLogic on
    Steam/PSN: StandrdDeviation
    BNet: StandrdError#1826
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't know. It just seems kind of ridiculous considering I only know one person, at all, who has an HDTV, and they are very well off anyway. And I don't know anyone who has just a regular DTV.

I mean, these things are still almost a thousand dollars. They're still well outside the budget of most people. I still think of HDTV as being a niche market.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, for $800 I could just duct tape an HD-DVD player onto a PS3. Dual format all up ins!

jackal on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I hope Blu-Ray comes out on top, as it has more storage space, to my understanding.

At double layer, yes, blu-ray has 50GB compared to 30GB for HD DVD. But that is today. HD DVD has discs coming that will have 18GB layers, and will have triple layer discs in late 2008 that can hold 51GB.

I don't think space is really a factor for either format yet. It might be eventually, but not for years yet. By that time hopefully this'll all be sorted out anyway.

I want to buy HD DVD just for Tansformers....but I know I shouldn't.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Since all HDTV are DTV

Hahahaha. That'd be nice, wouldn't it? No, there were plenty of HDTVs made that don't have ATSC/QAM tuners and thus won't be getting digital broadcasts come 2009.

That said, every TV sold in stores for the past two years or so has been required to have an ATSC tuner, so 50% doesn't surprise me.

Daedalus on
    edited January 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Since all HDTV are DTV

Hahahaha. That'd be nice, wouldn't it? No, there were plenty of HDTVs made that don't have ATSC/QAM tuners and thus won't be getting digital broadcasts come 2009.

That said, every TV sold in stores for the past two years or so has been required to have an ATSC tuner, so 50% doesn't surprise me.

Huh. I did not know that, and I work as a demographer for Nielsen (though to be fair I concentrate upon the "real" demography - "standard" households and persons therein estimates). I don't work on the "new" media estimates.

Do you have some sort of source for this info I could take a look at?

SniperLogic on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008

Since all HDTV are DTV

Huh. I did not know that, and I work as a demographer for Nielsen (though to be fair I concentrate upon the "real" demography - "standard" households and persons therein estimates). I don't work on the "new" media estimates.

Here's a really long winded explanation on Engadget.

tl;dr: "HD-Ready" sets are capable of displaying a high definition image but do not include an ATSC tuner, only NTSC.

Monoxide on
    edited January 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »

Since all HDTV are DTV

Here's a really long winded explanation on Engadget.

tl;dr: "HD-Ready" sets are capable of displaying a high definition image but do not include an ATSC tuner, only NTSC.

If even that. I've seen sets marketed as HD-Ready without a tuner at all.

Not that it matters a whole lot to me; my HDTV is used pretty much exclusively for video games and the occasional DVD.

Daedalus on
  • s7apsters7apster Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ya, who uses a built-in tuner anyways? I thought you basically needed to rent an HD box from your cable/satellite provider. In Canada, Rogers gives you one as part of your subscription.

s7apster on
    edited January 2008
    s7apster wrote: »
    Ya, who uses a built-in tuner anyways? I thought you basically needed to buy an HD box from your cable/satellite provider.

If you want to pick up HDTV from an antenna, you need a tuner.

Daedalus on
    edited January 2008
    All of the above is why media measurement of this type is quickly becoming a nightmare.

Think about it - your average consumer will probably not be savvy to all of this - which means the information they provide to our surveyors might be a bit...odd.

I'm dreading the day (in the not so distant future) when I'll have to dream up ways to make universe estimates for TV receiving cell phones, iPods, PCs with TV tuners, etc., etc.

SniperLogic on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    s7apster wrote: »
    Ya, who uses a built-in tuner anyways? I thought you basically needed to rent an HD box from your cable/satellite provider. In Canada, Rogers gives you one as part of your subscription.

QAM tuners are highly underrated, at least in the US.

I don't know about Canada, but cable companies will often leave HD channels unencrypted. Run the cable to your QAM tuner and presto! - free HD. I'm in Time Warner Southern California right now, and they don't encrypt Discovery HD Theatre (Planet Earth) or TNT-HD (basketball). It's slightly annoying to move the cable line back and forth, though I suppose that's what splitters are for.

BubbaT on
    edited January 2008
    People who don't watch TV much, can't justify spending money on cable or satellite.

Thus...

Monkey Ball Warrior on