As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I have sleeved my X-Wing 2.0 Core Set, Rebel Conversion Kit, Imperial Conversion Kit, and Scum Conversion Kit.

Damn that was a lot of sleeves.

It really was. I meant to count up the number of cards (based on the TOC... not actually counting cards) last night but forgot.
    I'm still trying to figure out storage for all the cards.

I would like to keep all the upgrades with the appropriate faction, rather than lump everything together (and only inter-mix when I use cross-faction crew like Maul or BT-1 for example). I don't know how feasible that is in the long-run though.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I have sleeved my X-Wing 2.0 Core Set, Rebel Conversion Kit, Imperial Conversion Kit, and Scum Conversion Kit.

It really was. I meant to count up the number of cards (based on the TOC... not actually counting cards) last night but forgot.

I would like to keep all the upgrades with the appropriate faction, rather than lump everything together (and only inter-mix when I use cross-faction crew like Maul or BT-1 for example). I don't know how feasible that is in the long-run though.

I figure I'm going to need to mesh them all together in the end, anyway. Mostly, I'm waiting for Sir Willibald to come out with new boxes.

• Options

I figure I'm going to need to mesh them all together in the end, anyway. Mostly, I'm waiting for Sir Willibald to come out with new boxes.

I fear this will be what I end up with as well.
    I just liked the idea of reducing the amount of "stuff" I need to flip through as I need to grab upgrades.

It's possible I am already at a point where I don't need to sleeve any more duplicates as more expansions are released...
    Maybe I should inventory all my cards...

• Options
    I end up sleeping everything, but for my “walking around set,” I only keep 4 of each upgrade.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Okay. Tomorrow is GAME DAY. Friend is coming over, we're going to play for a few hours. I have made some lists if anyone wants to give em the once over.

Three X-Wings:
    Luke Skywalker (62)
    Supernatural Reflexes (12)
    Shield Upgrade (6)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wedge Antilles (52)
    Outmaneuver (6)
    Shield Upgrade (6)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Thane Kyrell (48)
    Shield Upgrade (6)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Total: 198

The shield upgrades are kind of place holders. I couldn't think of anything else. Maybe just load a couple up with Proton or Ion torps?

Here is a second XXY list:
    Wedge Antilles (52)
    Outmaneuver (6)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Luke Skywalker (62)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Norra Wexley (Y-Wing) (43)
    Expert Handling (2)
    Ion Cannon Turret (6)
    R4 Astromech (2)
    Proton Bombs (5)
    Veteran Turret Gunner (8)

I still have the XXY list with Dutch to dish out the target locks with Torps, but this is a Norra list to try to use the turret and some bombs because why not I've never used them before.

And my last one, Vader + Aces
    Darth Vader (70)
    Fire-Control System (3)
    Cluster Missiles (5)

"Mauler" Mithel (32)
    Juke (4)

"Scourge" Skutu (32)
    Predator (2)

"Wampa" (30)
    Shield Upgrade (8)

So, the object here was I wanted to do Vader with Supernatural Reflexes and just try to destroy crap and I couldn't really think of any better synergy than just giving him the people who pump out damage. Shield upgrade on Wampa just a place holder. Could theoretically drop Wampa + Shield for Howlrunner and be at 200 even.

Thoughts? Critiques? I still have my six TIE Fighter list to play, but I wanted to prepare some variety.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    Han's ability seems pretty dang good. Rey, Finn, and Rose all seem fun.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Paige seems fun too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Okay. Tomorrow is GAME DAY. Friend is coming over, we're going to play for a few hours. I have made some lists if anyone wants to give em the once over.

Three X-Wings:
    Luke Skywalker (62)
    Shield Upgrade (6)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Wedge Antilles (52)
    Outmaneuver (6)
    Shield Upgrade (6)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Thane Kyrell (48)
    Shield Upgrade (6)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

The shield upgrades are kind of place holders. I couldn't think of anything else. Maybe just load a couple up with Proton or Ion torps?

Here is a second XXY list:
    Wedge Antilles (52)
    Outmaneuver (6)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Luke Skywalker (62)
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)

Norra Wexley (Y-Wing) (43)
    Expert Handling (2)
    Ion Cannon Turret (6)
    R4 Astromech (2)
    Proton Bombs (5)
    Veteran Turret Gunner (8)

I still have the XXY list with Dutch to dish out the target locks with Torps, but this is a Norra list to try to use the turret and some bombs because why not I've never used them before.

And my last one, Vader + Aces
    Darth Vader (70)
    Fire-Control System (3)
    Cluster Missiles (5)

"Mauler" Mithel (32)
    Juke (4)

"Scourge" Skutu (32)
    Predator (2)

"Wampa" (30)
    Shield Upgrade (8)

So, the object here was I wanted to do Vader with Supernatural Reflexes and just try to destroy crap and I couldn't really think of any better synergy than just giving him the people who pump out damage. Shield upgrade on Wampa just a place holder. Could theoretically drop Wampa + Shield for Howlrunner and be at 200 even.

Thoughts? Critiques? I still have my six TIE Fighter list to play, but I wanted to prepare some variety.

R2 Astromechs on the X-wings instead of the Shield upgrade? You get an extra shield out of it, but you're getting disarm tokens, so it's a tradeoff...

Those all look fun!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Good lord. For not having many ships, the resistance looks fun as hell.

I love that the bomber's called the StarBomber.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    So I ordered 2 Broken Token inserts for storing all my cards...

Technically, I should only need one, but I'm future-proofing!

I ordered the one for the newer FFG LCG games (like L5R). It's the same size box as the core set boxes (I've got 3 lying around), and raises the lid by about half an inch I think, so it should work exactly for my needs!

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Which inserts?

ED: This one, I guess? https://www.thebrokentoken.com/mini-card-case/

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Which inserts?

No, that's for the small cards.

https://www.thebrokentoken.com/compact-card-game-organizer-1/ this is the one

• Options
    Which inserts?

No, that's for the small cards.

https://www.thebrokentoken.com/compact-card-game-organizer-1/ this is the one

Weird - for some reason, I can't see the reviews or the description.

• Options
    You can search ORG053 on Amazon as well. I ordered from there because I had credit, and basically the same price with shipping factored in

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Resistance does look super fun, too bad for me as a 2E-only person that will only have access to X-Wings and A-Wings

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Resistance does look super fun, too bad for me as a 2E-only person that will only have access to X-Wings and A-Wings
    I’m reasonably certain, even though it hasn’t been announced, that just about every 1E ship will get a 2E version.

• Options
    I’m reasonably certain, even though it hasn’t been announced, that just about every 1E ship will get a 2E version.

It would not surprise me if the release a Resistance/FO core again.

• Options
    https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/277390-x-wing-official-rulings/

They're actually posting Official Rulings outside of the FAQ cycle this time around!

The first question is a really interesting one. Han (scum)+Qi'ra+Trickshot is a real cheap way to get 4(!) attack dice without allowing the defender to get an additional defense die.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Q: When a ship moves through a Proximity Mine [Device] (and overlaps) does the timing window for Sabine Wren [Crew] occur before or after the ship has an opportunity to perform an action?

A: Trick question! Sabine only affects devices classified as bombs, not mines and other devices, such as a Proximity Mine.

Well that explains the device vs bomb slot change

• Options
    I had been seeing people say that Ailerons over rocks meant you lost action under the new rules, so confirmation it works the same as in 1.0 is nice.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Too many cores in the pipeline could way oversaturate the market.

That said, you KNOW they are making a core for Republic/Separatists.

And yes, FFG has said outloud that they will be reprinting all the 1E ships in 2E. The trick is to not oversaturate things, but I believe the statement was that the reprints would have the same contents as the conversion kits.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »

Too many cores in the pipeline could way oversaturate the market.

That said, you KNOW they are making a core for Republic/Separatists.

And yes, FFG has said outloud that they will be reprinting all the 1E ships in 2E. The trick is to not oversaturate things, but I believe the statement was that the reprints would have the same contents as the conversion kits.

It could.
    However it may be necessary to accommodate people who don't want any OT stuff, and just want to focus on 1 faction. I believe that there are very very few of those people, though, so maybe not. I dunno!

• Options
    So today was a success. Played three games, won them all. We started playing to about an hour and calling it from there so we could get more games in and avoiding the whole two ships chasing each other. I played two as rebels, the XXY and 3X lists I posted earlier, and then my turn as the Empire was as my Inferno 6. I really liked Norra. She wowed me a lot, and I liked the Y-Wing a lot more than I thought I would, so much so that I kind of want a second to maybe try YYX or 2Y2X. I just don't know if I like Norra or the Y-Wing. The bomb was really cool and did some work. I think smarter players than he or I would not have gotten as hurt by the bomb but forcing a better player to play around it is probably pretty good.

3X was good but probably less fun overall. I added some torps which the XXY list didn't have because it seemed useful. They are!

Inferno went great. I think I got great rolls or maybe that's just how it works with Howlrunner. I also made a couple good moves that let me vomit damage in the second and third turn, I think I'm getting slightly better at flying. Seyn did what she was supposed to do, dropping a single point of damage on someone and getting the party started. Was a fun list, although it's a little bit annoying to have to set dials and do that much thinking. I could see it being exhausting over a long period of time.

• Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Was the turret on Norra worth it?

• Options
    Was the turret on Norra worth it?

I really enjoyed shooting twice a turn with the veteran turret gunner. I think it might be better if I had access to dorsal turret.

• Options
    What is the benefit of being first or second player? It seems, at first glance, to be pretty neutral. Moving first initiative I guess is slightly worse since you'll have slightly less information to choose actions, and shooting first within initiative seems pointless since all the ships of same initiative will still get to do a thing before being removed.

Am I missing something?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    What is the benefit of being first or second player? It seems, at first glance, to be pretty neutral. Moving first initiative I guess is slightly worse since you'll have slightly less information to choose actions, and shooting first within initiative seems pointless since all the ships of same initiative will still get to do a thing before being removed.

Am I missing something?

In a game that will have 7 factions now, it's a better rule for tiebreaking than "Imperials go first"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    First choice of obstacle and your crits applying first are the big ones. Especially with things like "roll 1 fewer attack dice" or blinded pilot. I don't remember all what's in the damage deck now though

Edit:
    Looking through the damage deck...
    Directly affecting shooting ability, and most likely to be relevant, there's:
    Weapons Failure: (Ship) When you perform an attack, roll 1 fewer attack die. Action: Repair this card.
    Blinded Pilot: (Pilot) While you perform an attack, you can modify your dice only by spending (force) for their default effect. Action: Repair this card.

Indirectly, you have:
    Panicked Pilot: (Pilot) Gain 2 stress tokens. Then repair this card.
    for effects that occur when you are/are not stressed (like Ezra)

and
    Disabled Power Regulator: (Ship) Before you engage, gain 1 ion token. After you execute an ion maneuver, repair this card
    would apply an ion token on the current turn, rather than the next. A small ship would not be able to react to this if you applied the crit before it engages!

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    so are people generally playing second edition or extended?

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Hypothetically speaking, if I ever get to play, I'll play extended. Why would I not want to play with all the coolest ships?

(Until I tried the official FFG squad builder, I didn't even know there was a distinction.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Stores are being asked to support both 2e and Extended, basically. 2e is *mostly* for new players, for a much lower barrier to entry.

I would probably lean mostly toward Extended with the occasional 2e game sprinkled in because I like playing around limitations with builds.

• Options
    I'm only playing second edition because I'm new and I don't want to spend a billion dollars on old ships PLUS conversion kits plus I'll have to probably buy the new ships since I bet the new 2.0 versions will have cards that aren't in the conversion kits. I do really want some of these ships like the Phantom, Interceptor, or Striker, but I guess I'll have to wait.

Honestly the thought of having to run into extended ships is probably the most daunting part of going to my FLGS to play. I don't want to constantly be like "uhhh, what is that even and how does this silly combo work?" I get that it would be boring for the old players to be stuck with the 2.0 ships but it seems like going from sipping from the glass to drinking from the fire hose.

• Options
    I'm only playing second edition because I'm new and I don't want to spend a billion dollars on old ships PLUS conversion kits plus I'll have to probably buy the new ships since I bet the new 2.0 versions will have cards that aren't in the conversion kits. I do really want some of these ships like the Phantom, Interceptor, or Striker, but I guess I'll have to wait.

Honestly the thought of having to run into extended ships is probably the most daunting part of going to my FLGS to play. I don't want to constantly be like "uhhh, what is that even and how does this silly combo work?" I get that it would be boring for the old players to be stuck with the 2.0 ships but it seems like going from sipping from the glass to drinking from the fire hose.

Understandable, I have a list that is thoroughly silly in the systems phase for instance (Deathrain, Echo, Whisper). All three ships can move and get tokens before you can do anything.

The vader/TIE aces list is much less likely to make someone quit in frustration I think...

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    That happened to me in v1 when my opponent used the stop maneuver.

I didn't even have it on my mind that was possible. So of course I blew past him and into his arc and got shot up.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    The First Order "fuck up your own shit to get ahead" playstyle is really contrary to anything I would enjoy I think, even though I do think a lot of their ships look FUCKING COOL.

This is kind of a problem with me as far as faction picking though. I like the look and feel of Imperial ships but I think playstyle wise the Rebellion is more my speed. I was more of a Protoss player back in the day and the paying more to get fewer of higher quality probably fits with me better overall.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    The First Order "fuck up your own shit to get ahead" playstyle is really contrary to anything I would enjoy I think, even though I do think a lot of their ships look FUCKING COOL.

This is kind of a problem with me as far as faction picking though. I like the look and feel of Imperial ships but I think playstyle wise the Rebellion is more my speed. I was more of a Protoss player back in the day and the paying more to get fewer of higher quality probably fits with me better overall.

I mean, Imperials have their own super nasty aces (Vader), they just have a lot of support for swarms.

Edit: Ooh thats a spicy Upsilon ability. +1 red die for all cannons.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    That's true, I think part of my problem is just being limited to 2.0 ships. I'm ready for a wave 2. TIE Defender or Phantom or possibly Interceptor would solve that a lot. Although, fielding two ships certainly doesn't feel imperial.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I mean, Imperials have their own super nasty aces (Vader), they just have a lot of support for swarms.

Edit: Ooh thats a spicy Upsilon ability. +1 red die for all cannons.

it's neat, I just can't imagine using it with anything but the HLC since it has a 4-die primary already