As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2019 Challenge Coin - 54% sold!

RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
edited January 2019 in PAX South
December 14th Edit

Please place orders here: https://goo.gl/forms/Lto2Uc9q6T5emQU42

Reminder from Kiddercorp:

THE COINS:

The cost for the coins is as follows:

- Regular (No Color) 3D Challenge Coins cost $7 USD each.

- Painted (Color) Challenge Coins cost $8 USD each.

THE SHIPPING INFORMATION:

As in the past, the orders will be shipped to the customers individually once the coins arrive here from the factory.

Shipping costs (additional to the coin cost total) are based on the weight of the package.

UNITED STATES RESIDENTS:

$3 USD for 1 to 3 coins (USPS First Class Package).
$4 USD for 4 to 6 coins (USPS First Class Package).
$7 USD for 7+ coins (USPS Priority Small Flat Rate Box) -- (exceeds the weight limit for First Class Package).

INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTS (outside of the US):

$15 USD for 1 to 6 coins (USPS International First Class Package).
$31 USD for 7+ coins (USPS International Priority Small Flat Rate Box) -- (exceeds the weight limit for First Class Package).

THE PAYMENTS:

Individual customers will total up their order and send the payment for the amount due to our PAYPAL account.

Our PAYPAL email address is now the same as our business email address: marty@kccoin.com

Production Proofs!!
poc472p0sb46.jpg

December 11th Edit:

Proofs are in!

Colour
qaaasxh72x62.jpg

Regular
xhqd3kuxcu17.jpg

I would like to get back to Kiddercorp by Thursday!

October 5th Edit:

Vote on aspects of the coin here!

https://goo.gl/forms/byh4ZUaanTtygU1A2

Vote if the edge will be smooth or ribbed, if we'll have a regular coin, colour coin or both, and what finish we want the coin to be.

Last year, the regular and colour coins were different colours. If you would like to do that, please pick your top two finishes

We'll have this poll up until October 12th!

Hello everyone! I heard through the grape vine that people were asking about the challenge coin. It's a little early, but better early than late!!

For those who do not know about the PAX Challenge Coin tradition, you can check it out here: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/PAX_Challenge_Coin

Last year's coin was pretty awesome, the colour version and the regular version were different types of metal (Antique Silver & Gold), we had, "It is dangerous to go alone! Take this." for the gaming side and the River Walk and ferry for the Location side. You can check out the coin here.

If you have any ideas for a location image or gaming image, please post them below

I am excited to create another awesome coin with this community!!

Also, please note, costs for the coins have gone up this year

"We had to bump the price per coin up a little ($2 each) to account for increasing factory production and shipping (to us) costs and also the time involved in processing and shipping each order out to your members individually."
So, regular coins will be $7 and colour coins will be $8 each

OtyHMcu.jpg
RILMS on

• orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Looking forward to another awesome coin.

With regard to location ideas, my initial thoughts would be Pearl Brewery, but that’s just the first thing that came to mind.

orthancstone on
    PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    Can't wait, thanks for taking care of this!

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Awesome! Not sure I have any good ideas to contribute to the design, but I'm looking forward to getting my coin this year, and giving one to Shdwcaster Jr. for his first PAX experience!

• RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    In the past, we have had people take photos in San Antonio and submit those for the coin. If anyone has some cool photos from there, you can PM me them and maybe they'll end up on the coin!!

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Hello everyone! Haven't heard anything about a location side of the coin yet.

I was thinking for the gaming side, we could have an extra life (1-up mushroom or something else).

Thoughts or other suggestions for the gaming side?

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    Have we done anything in the past to pay homage to the indie presence at South?

khd33hubozxv.png
  • rickman33rickman33 Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I'm not sure what has been done in the past. The Alamo would be the most obvious choose; The Largest Boots in Texas would be the silliest choice.
    I was thinking of La Antorcha de la Amistad ("The Torch of Friendship"), though. It is a symbol of cooperation and shared culture between Mexico and San Antonio. I feel that in today's sociopolitical climate, it is important to recognize that America is made of an amalgam of international cultures- and that we should continue to embrace those cultures. It also reflects how unique San Antonio is, rich in history and heritage. Most of us who have ventured along the Riverwalk during PAX South have surely came across the sculpture.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Antorcha_de_la_Amistad
    3bjl9khn5odi.jpg

rickman33 on
    ^^^Sorry; I didn't anticipate the image being that big :)

shimwood wrote: »
    Have we done anything in the past to pay homage to the indie presence at South?

I do not believe we have. Do you have an idea?

rickman33 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what has been done in the past. The Alamo would be the most obvious choose; The Largest Boots in Texas would be the silliest choice.
    I was thinking of La Antorcha de la Amistad ("The Torch of Friendship"), though. It is a symbol of cooperation and shared culture between Mexico and San Antonio. I feel that in today's sociopolitical climate, it is important to recognize that America is made of an amalgam of international cultures- and that we should continue to embrace those cultures. It also reflects how unique San Antonio is, rich in history and heritage. Most of us who have ventured along the Riverwalk during PAX South have surely came across the sculpture.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Antorcha_de_la_Amistad

Hmm, I like that idea. It's something that a lot of people walk past all the time and it fits in well with the spirit of PAX :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Nah, nothing in mind, just trying to help come up with ideas.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • MegamaxmaxMegamaxmax Registered User regular
    Perhaps something about how South(At least used to be) the tabletop of the Pax cons. Maybe a couple of rolling dice.

They already thrust the blade in, no need to twist it. :(

khd33hubozxv.png
    Megamaxmax wrote: »
    Perhaps something about how South(At least used to be) the tabletop of the Pax cons. Maybe a couple of rolling dice.

Hmm, in 2016, we had dice as the gaming side and I believe Unplugged is using dice for their gaming side this year...so, I don't want to be too similar

OtyHMcu.jpg
    For the gaming side, would we want to consider VR? I suggested it last year, when it was still fairly new to market. It's kind of indicative of the current day, whether anyone consider VR a phase/fad or not. AUS did VR Dropbear, so it wouldn't be totally new to a PAX challenge coin...
    I was thinking "tabletop" for the gaming side, but gaming dice, a meeple, and Catan tiles have already been done.
    Or, something to reflect the battle royale madness in videogaming, but there's not one thing that could generally depict the genre/game mode. Maybe just Fortnite *rolls eyes*. Ooh- How about the Fortnite llama pinata? Again, this would tie in to the Mexican culture in San Antonio.7dlrn54ssvy7.png

Maybe a flame/fire for the Culture side for Texas BBQ. Or delicious piles of meat! :o

khd33hubozxv.png
    edited September 2018
    Oh, maybe Spyro, what with the remaster and release of the Playstation Classic mini

spyro.png

Megamaxmax on
  • drs1172drs1172 Registered User new member
    Tower of the Americas

So far I like either La Antorcha de la Amistad or Tower of the Americas as the location. I really think the Fortnite llama piñata is perfect for the gaming side - it is representative of the Fortnite/battle royale craze (and it also has that San Antonio flair).

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Its Pax South. Texas is associated with Cowboys. Red Dead Redemption talking about how Horse Balls shrink in the cold. I'm just saying what the tails side of the coin should be. Pure Horse Bollocks.

ulwo4xrfhys7.png

What do people think of this? Please note, the dates will change in the offical one :)
    drs1172 wrote: »
    Tower of the Americas

The Tower of the America's was done on the first coin :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • malak85malak85 Registered User new member
    I have a few suggestions. I lived in San Antonio for 2 years, while going to college at UTSA, and I love the city. I know some of the generic things you see for San Antonio have already been done, like the Alamo. And understandable, these are all things that are synonymous with San Antonio. Everybody think about the Riverwalk, or the Tower of the Americas, as well. I wonder if you'd consider some other things, though.
    1. An illustration of a Roadrunner - to go along with the San Antonio theme, as the Roadrunners is the mascot of UTSA.
    2. Natural Bridge Caverns - I'm sure a pho could be found of the caves without people in it, if you'd like, or something similar to that.
    3. The city crest could also be a good illustration, possibly. I found an image of it, here:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Seal_of_San_Antonio,_Texas.png ( I believe this is accurate. I couldn't find much to refute it.)
    4. Or what about something to commemorate the fact that Lackland Air Force Base is also located in San Antonio.

Sorry, just wanted to offer some suggestions that might also be considered.

I'd like to see what it looks like cropped/zoomed in a bit closer so that it's mostly monument and not much else.

khd33hubozxv.png
    shimwood wrote: »
    I'd like to see what it looks like cropped/zoomed in a bit closer so that it's mostly monument and not much else.

Definitely zoomed a little more so we don't see the part of the initial round border of the photo. Maybe we can see if there's a different photo of the torch that people prefer? I haven't been able to find many photos that can be cropped to a square/circle. Here's one:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lxjb4XJjqWk/U9ha9c50IkI/AAAAAAAAn5g/f3X304GTYLU/s1600/rwa3-2.JPG3t433ogfmtk8.jpg

Although I kind of like the more "aerial" view of the first photo.

edited October 2018
    Okay, so I have two versions. The second image retains the scale of the original photo; the first one is the image zoomed in a bit.

n41dsmeekg50.png
    045oeyjpeoze.png

rickman33 on
    As we are talking about what to go on the coin, we can take a look at what the coin itself!

You can follow the link (https://goo.gl/forms/byh4ZUaanTtygU1A2) and vote if the edge will be smooth or ribbed, if we'll have a regular coin, colour coin or both, and what finish we want the coin to be.

Last year, the regular and colour coins were different colours. If you would like to do that, please pick your top two finishes

We'll have this poll up until October 12th!

OtyHMcu.jpg
    I think the red would look dope on the Dyeing Black.

khd33hubozxv.png
    Today is the last day for the poll!!

OtyHMcu.jpg
    The results are in!

l2hvahldprgw.png

Results for finishes were a bit more complicated, but that's about par for the course

Black Nickel for Regular and Chrome for Colour
    Silver
    Dyeing Black
    Antique copper or bronze, or black nickel
    Antique Btonze
    antique silver, black nickel, and i know you said 2 but Dyeing black can't really decide between them.
    Dyeing Black if color; 2 Tones if regular
    Satin Silver
    Gold and antique brass
    Antique Bronze

Black Nickle:III
    Chrome: I
    Silver: I
    Dying Black: III
    Antique Copper: I
    Antique Bronze: III
    Antique Silver: I
    Two Tones: I
    Satin Silver: I
    Gold: I
    Antique Brass: I

Based on the above, Black Nickle, Dying Black, and Antique Bronze were mentioned the most.

What do people think?

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Missed the vote so I don't have much of an idea on what Dying Black looks like. Hell of a name though.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    black nickel and antique bronze are nice. not sure I'd want the other.

Could you post the colors again? Bronze for sure though.

Here is the finishes example so we can have a better idea of what they look like :)

wi24014a5g0v.jpg

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Missed the vote so I don't have much of an idea on what Dying Black looks like. Hell of a name though.

Dyeing, not dying. Lol.

I kind of like the 2 Tones, with the gold around the outside and the silver on the inside....I don't think that shows up on the photo very well. I'd like that for the non-color version.
    I do think that if we don't do that, a non-color photograph might show up best on any of the Antique finishes (so, I suppose Antique Bronze would be okay since that seems to be the consensus).
    For the color version of the coin, I'm really good with either the Black Nickel or Dyeing Black. The Dyeing Black would be most interesting/different.

edited October 2018
    Just an idea...And, I know we already voted on the edges, but...
    PAX South's 2015 inaugural challenge coin featured a smooth edge. Every year since we've had a reeded edge. Maybe we can feature a smooth edge only every fifth year- kind of like a "special" 5, 10, 15, ...-year anniversary coin? (If PAX South is around that long.)

rickman33 on
    edited October 2018
    I don't want to be spammy, but I really am pushing for my Fortnite llama pinata to be on the "game side" of the coin. The piñata can be representative of the Mexican culture of San Antonio AND it is indicative of the current popularity of Fortnite and the battle royale subgenre of shooter.
    In addition, the image contains only 4 to 5 shades of color which hopefully would make it easier to print.
    ztjoz1zt0bh8.png

rickman33 on
    Yeah, I think 2 tones would be neat for a non-colour coin

Hmm, that's a neat perspective...I could get behind that.

Ok, I can do a mock up later on for the llama on the gaming side :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    One thing to note, we generally stay away from having copyrighted imagery on the coins, or being an advertisement for whatever the cool new game is. I do like that llama though, but maybe there's a way to reference battle royal type games without one specific branding?

There are a bunch of people making their own llamas

il_570xN.1653371537_lefh.jpg

Could have a photo like this and below it have, "100 remain" or something like that

OtyHMcu.jpg
This discussion has been closed.