As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So turns out grenadier alchemists are the shit. 13 grenades per rest? Bye Bye trolls!

Also the running of the realm as a baron is well done. I feel the sense of urgency and the weight of my decisions and I love it.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Okay, I took the plunge on this after skimming the thread for too long. What's some general advice for the Magus or maybe Sorcerer?

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, this thread is seriously chipping away at my don't-buy-Pathfinder resolve.

Hypothetically, how would one go about building one of these grenadier "the shit" alchemists?

EDIT: The fleshwallet is weak.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Yeah, this thread is seriously chipping away at my don't-buy-Pathfinder resolve.

Hypothetically, how would one go about building one of these grenadier "the shit" alchemists?

Well I got mine as
    A New party member and upgrade his grenades.

But the class is totally buildable.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

Go human. Int primary, Dex secondary. Enjoy the 5 fireballs you have at lvl 1. Get the bombs don't affect teammates and the burning bomb upgrades and cackle as everything burns to the ground. Except your team.

Grenadiers start with throw anything, so you can do point blank and precise shot at 1st so you don't miss your grenades and have decent ranged backup.

Only downside to grenades is with travel time, at lvl 1 you can accidentally kill yourself/your team pretty easy.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Okay, I took the plunge on this after skimming the thread for too long. What's some general advice for the Magus or maybe Sorcerer?

I went Sword Saint so I could really dump Strength. High Dex/Int, Human. Specialize in Rapiers/Scimitars/Estocs, grab Weapon Finesse and Slashing or Fencing Grace to get +Dex to damage.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Okay, Magus. I'll let someone else describe the sorcerer. (Also, I'm talking about the stock Magus, not the Sword Saint, Arcane Archer, or Eldritch Scion. Although, for the Scion, most of this works, I think, you just switch Int for Cha.)

First off, decide at creation if you want to be Strength-based or Dexterity-based.

If Str-based, you're eventually be going into medium and heavy armors, and you'll probably want to stick with a scimitar as your weapon of choice. Your AC is going to be ... not great ... for awhile, because you don't get to use medium armor until level 7. So look into AC-boosting spells, like Shield, Protection from Alignment, etc. Str-based Magi are easier to build and have amazing offenses, but pretty weak defenses when they aren't popping spells to shore them up.

If Dex-based, you're going to be rocking a chain shirt, which is available from the get-go. Rapiers are the choice here, and you'll need to spend 2 feats to make them as good as the scimitar - Weapon Finesse and Fencing Grace (the latter of which requires Weapon Focus (Rapier), but you probably want a WF feat anyway so it's not much of a cost). Dex-based Magi are harder to build, but have solid defenses and, eventually, offenses equivalent to the Str-based Magi.

In any case, I'd aim for a 16 Intelligence. In order to cast a spell of a given level, you need an Intelligence score of 10 + Spell Level, and Magi learn up to 6th-level spells. 16 Int will qualify you for bonus 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-level spells, and by the time you hit 4th- or 5th-level spells, you'll have access to Int-boosting gear to get you the bonuses. 16 Int also gets you a +3 bonus to your spell save DCs, which is less than what a pure caster will get but is good enough, since eventually most of your spells will be touch attack spells that don't use saves.

Then, I recommend increasing your Con enough to get a small bonus to your HP, your opposite physical stat up to about a 13 (many feats require a 13 Str or 13 Dex qualify, and you don't want to lock yourself out), and then build to taste from there.

Why rapier and scimitar? Because those have the biggest critical hit ranges (18-20), and your weapon's critical range is what (eventually) drives the critical threat range of your spells (which start at 20/x2).

Magi's main cool ability is the ability to "dual wield" a spell and their weapon. Normally, in a given round, you get to either cast a spell or attack, but not both. Magi get to do both. Early on, this makes Daze a pretty fantastic spell. Normally, it's not so good - your wizard, for instance, has to give up their entire turn to maybe prevent a human enemy from taking theirs. For the Magi, you get to maybe prevent the enemy from taking their turn and still smack them upside the head with your weapon of choice.

Pretty quickly, you also get the ability to deliver melee touch attack spells with your weapon. This is, frankly, amazing. Now, on a turn in which you cast a spell, you 1) make a normal attack with your weapon, 2) cast the melee touch spell, and 3) make a bonus attack with your weapon to deliver the touch spell. This allows you to, effectively, double-up on the magical powers of your weapon (e.g., instead of needing a pair of +2 swords, you get to attack with one +2 sword twice). This is great because ...

... another key Magus ability is their Arcane Pool, a set of daily points that you can spend to, at the beginning, make any weapon you've got +1 better for a minute (roughly one combat). Starting out, this'll turn your regular sword into a +1 sword. Eventually, you'll be turning your +1 sword into a +3 keen flaming sword. Which you then use to smack an enemy with, then hit them with the same sword again but this time with +5d6 Electricity piled on top, all of which will score a critical threat on a natural roll of 15 or better, threatening double damage. Stuff explodes.

Elvenshae on
    That sounds pretty rad. I'm presuming if I'm going with the sorcerer version of Magus I want CHA at 16 and not INT?

That sounds pretty rad. I'm presuming if I'm going with the sorcerer version of Magus I want CHA at 16 and not INT?

Mostly yes; I think there are other changes, as well, but I'm just not very familiar with them.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I would say that the best argument for multiclassing is that the full caster spell lists are pretty meh past 6th level anyway.

How likely is this game to get mods? Seems like, at the very least, it would be nice to add some more character portraits.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    As for custom portraits there is already this mod which adds 125 or so.

Not all are a perfect fit for the game if I’m honest, but I’m sure there’d be more than a few that people here would like. IMHO many of them don’t even look out of place either.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    All portrait packs need to start with the BG/BG2/IWD/IWD2 portrait sets and build from there.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    All portrait packs need to start with the BG/BG2/IWD/IWD2 portrait sets and build from there.

Does this one fit the BG/Pillars format? If so, there are thousands of additional ones floating out there.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Does borderless windowed in this just not work?

Because this is not at all functioning like borderless windowed when you alt-tab.

Characters
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I got a Twitch bounty to try this out so I'll be testing it out tomorrow (probably around noon est). I heard its complex though so we'll see how far I get before I get fed up with it. Or maybe I'll really like it and it will just click.

edited October 2018
    Well I've you're a fan of Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights (or a host of other IE and D&D3.0/3.5 CRPGs) then the game will feel like coming home.

On another note,

As a general tip to new players feel free to spend your gold. Before I hit a Game Over I didn't spend a single coin and honestly there didn't seem to be any reason to save it. So if you see a weapon you like or armor or just want some spells/supplies then go ahead and spend.

Axen on
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

I'll take a stab at some horribly biased Sorcerer advice:

Sorcerers are rad as fuck. Like Magus, you have to decide what you want to do from the start. They're not as forgiving as Wizards when it comes to spell selection. So, decide first if you want to blast chumps with magic all day, or if you want to buff up yourself and your team and make them unstoppable killing machines, or if you want to summon tons of things, or if you want to do a little of everything (don't do a little of everything).

Of the three flavors, the base Sorcerer class is probably the best way to go if you're not going for Mystic Theurge or a bad Eldritch Knight build.

You also get to pick your Sorcerer Bloodline (where your innate magical power comes from). There's a variety of dragon bloodlines to choose from (chromatic and metallic) and these will provide you with free spells as you level up as well as some neat-o abilities like extra points of elemental damage, growing claws and turning into a dragon at later levels. There's other, lesser, bloodlines available as well, but they're not dragons so they suck.

Charisma is going to be your main stat for spell casting (I'd recommend going as high as 18, but you can safely get away with 16), but where you put after that is up to what you want to do. After Charimsa, you can prioritize your stats based on what you decided to do, but grabbing a couple points in Constitution to get a couple extra burgers is never a bad idea.

If you want to blast all the things, or just generally avoid being on the front line, prioritize Dex and the Point-Blank and Precise Shot feats so you don't suffer that -4 penalty for shooting into combat when you use your ranged touch attacks. Grab a crossbow and head on out with your ranged magic and go mess some stuff up!

If you want to be both charismatic and swol, prioritize Strength so you can get some decent attack damage out of the simple melee weapons and/or your rad dragon claws. This won't make you a front-liner by any means, but it will make your character a decent back-up fighter that can debilitate foes and deliver some nice damage for when you are inevitably attacked on the road or in camp. Get Point-Blank and Precise Shot as well if you want to use ranged touch spells (I think you still take the -4 for shooting into combat if you're the one in combat), but also Combat Casting for this option. You can skip the shooting feats if you don't want any ranged touch attacks.

Now you get to pick your spells! This is the bestest, lowest stress part of Sorcerer-ing because the spells you select are the ones you're going to be using for the rest of the game and, again, it helps to decide what you're going to do from the start here. Depending on your bloodline choice (you should've picked a dragon), you can get Mage Armor at lvl 3 for free so that frees up an early choice for you. At lvl 1, you can't go wrong with Magic Missile for guaranteed ranged damage that gets better as you level, or Burning Hands for AoE fire damage and a defense/utility spell like Shield (but not Mage armor, because you're descended from dragons and get free Mage Armor later).

Hope this helps and doesn't just sound like the rantings of a dude who's bored at work.

I dunno, nothing about that sounds biased to me.

edited October 2018
    Is Sorcerer vs Wizard the same as it is in Pathfinder 2e?

IE, Sorcerer's have smaller spell lists but can cast any of them provided they have the slot and wizards can amass huge spell lists but have to slot each one when they prepare in the morning?

EDIT: Also ha ha if you think I'm not gonna instantly lock in Fae Sorcerer of some description. Suck it dragons.

Albino Bunny on
    edited October 2018
    Yep.

Sorc = flexibility at casting time, limited spell selection, more spells per day, lower-level spells*
    Wiz = flexibility at memorization time, unlimited* spell selection, fewer spells per day, higher-level spells*

ED:

* To expand, sorcerers will get all the same spell levels as wizards eventually, they just get them on a slightly delayed schedule. Wizards get 2nd-level spells at level 3; sorcerers have to wait until level 4; etc.

Elvenshae on
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Is Sorcerer vs Wizard the same as it is in Pathfinder 2e?

IE, Sorcerer's have smaller spell lists but can cast any of them provided they have the slot and wizards can amass huge spell lists but have to slot each one when they prepare in the morning?

EDIT: Also ha ha if you think I'm not gonna instantly lock in Fae Sorcerer of some description. Suck it dragons.

Yeah, Sorcerers don't get to cast as many spells, but they can cast any of the spells they choose a bunch of times per day. So, a 5th level Sorcerer can cast 6 1st level spells and 4 second level spells per day, but you only have 4 1st level and 2 second level spells to choose from and they can't be changed.

You can play a Fey bloodline Sorcerer, that's cool. You just can't use any of the advice I provided because you were rude about dragons. :P

edited October 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Yep.

Sorc = flexibility at casting time, limited spell selection, more spells per day, lower-level spells
    Wiz = flexibility at memorization time, unlimited* spell selection, fewer spells per day, higher-level spells

Well, lower-level spells based on same character level. They still get to have 9th level spells like Wizards.

Extreaminatus on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It's worth mentioning that color spray is ridiculously OP at low levels. It's the best spell for quite awhile.

BionicPenguin on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So turns out grenadier alchemists are the shit. 13 grenades per rest? Bye Bye trolls!

Also the running of the realm as a baron is well done. I feel the sense of urgency and the weight of my decisions and I love it.

I played an Alchemist in actual pen and paper Pathfinder. At level 5 I was doing every battle by drinking a potion of haste, then fly, then dropping fireballs on fools from the air.

Alright, if I remember my wild shape correctly, it replaces your physical stats with the creature's so I can just focus on mental for now and...

Dev commenting on someone's similar question: "Actually, they're just buffs to your existing stats, we don't replace yours with a creature template."

*crumples up paper, starts from scratch again*

Characters
    Aegis wrote: »
    Alright, if I remember my wild shape correctly, it replaces your physical stats with the creature's so I can just focus on mental for now and...

Dev commenting on someone's similar question: "Actually, they're just buffs to your existing stats, we don't replace yours with a creature template."

*crumples up paper, starts from scratch again*

Yeah. That was something they changed in the transition from 3.5 to Pathfinder. It makes it a lot easier to figure out.

It's worth mentioning that color spray is ridiculously OP at low levels. It's the best spell for quite awhile.

... which serves as a good reminder that, in d20 / 3.X / PF, the most OP spells are not the damage-dealing, blasting spells.* They're the ones that let you dictate the encounter.

E.g., Sleep and Color Spray straight out win fights; Magic Missile does not. Chain Lightning is COOL, but Wall of Iron will turn a 10-on-5 fight into two, much mo' easy, 5-on-5 fights.

* Which is one of the reasons that the Magus tends to be one of the more balanced Fighter-Mage implementations, since their spell list has been heavily edited to remove the egregiously gamebreaking stuff and focus more on the blasty stuff. I actually like it, because, in PnP at least, it gives me the ability to make the fun, meaningful round-to-round decisions that make playing spellcasters enjoyable without needing to play suboptimally in order to avoid breaking the game open and ruining everyone else's fun.

What's the real difference between standard and full actions? I know that full actions take the whole round, but don't standard actions do that too?

A standard action is basically half a full round (the other half is supposed to be movement), but you can only have one standard action per round.

So a character taking full actions cannot also move around. Right? Do quick actions factor in?

Also, you have to take a Full Action Attack to get your 2nd/3rd attacks from BAB right?

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    You can take a standard action and move, or take a full action I believe

edited October 2018
    captaink wrote: »
    So a character taking full actions cannot also move around. Right? Do quick actions factor in?

Also, you have to take a Full Action Attack to get your 2nd/3rd attacks from BAB right?

Correct on all counts. I'm not entirely sure how swift actions work in this game, but they're supposed to be instant with a limit of one per round. I assume that's still the case here.

BionicPenguin on
    captaink wrote: »

Correct on all counts. I'm not entirely sure how swift actions work in this game, but they're supposed to be instant with a limit of one per round. I assume that's still the case here.

Yep - using a Magus Arcane pool point to improve your weapon (a swift action) happens immediately upon clicking the button, assuming you're not currently performing another action (like casting a spell).

• SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    And as an aside, a lot of the people who backed this game did so precisely because they wanted another one of those "shitty 90s isometric RPGs". This game gives some Baldur's Gate vibes, and I'm ok with that, in good and bad.

Those people are all wrong and I hate them for supporting the further degradation of what should be a solid and simple idea.
    @Syzygy

I don’t mean to be flippant, but your main problem seems to be that you need to, uh, “git gud.” :D

If you knew Pathfinder, you’d know that just putting the heaviest armor you can find on a character isn’t always the right decision.

Also, yeah - a low-level Wizard only has a couple of spells, and you cast one. Why didn’t you rest? At 20 Int, you should have 2 1st-level spells available (unless you’re a specialist) and a whole bunch of cantrips. Rejigger your spell selection before going into the spider cave. [Ed: And burn through some scrolls! You should have some by now. And that’s what they’re for!]

Also, if you knew PF well, you’d know ...
    A swarm made up of Tiny creatures takes half damage from slashing and piercing weapons. A swarm composed of Fine or Diminutive creatures is immune to all weapon damage

... so, no, you can’t stomp on the spider swarm like Dirty Dancing and actually do any damage to it - it’s immune to weapon damage. They are, however, extremely susceptible to AoEs - like, say, those burning hands spells.

The game should be smart enough to account for the fact that even someone with 8 INT would first use their feet to deal with a small arachnid or insect, not laboriously unsheathe their fuckhueg sword and then proceed to swat at the swarm with the sharp side. Ok, maybe the barbarian is that dumb, but the Inquisitor? She starts of with what, a +2 INT modifier? Just treat it as a kick that does 1d4 + STR damage, it's not that hard to program. Also, having
    Still doesn't explain or excuse the custom wizard missing every. Single. Spell. That isn't hyperbole, I kept track after I noticed damage output was slightly lower than it should have been. From the tuutorial in the keep all the way up to that stupid spider cave, every single spell that didn't have an AoE component ALWAYS missed. This was your bog standard optimized wizard build, I've played them in the actual tabletop before and something under the hood is fucky if somehow every single enemy has a touch AC far greater than I can consistently hit.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    @Syzygy I don't know what the bog standard wizard build is... does it include Dex investment and precise shot? Your ranged touch attacks may be to blame here, since a -4 penalty is absolutely massive. Alternatively, try casting one 9f those Aoes when your melee guys aren't nearby.

It's legit possible you're also experiencing a bug though, considering the number of hotfix patches.

edited October 2018
    Syzygy wrote: »
    @Syzygy

I don’t mean to be flippant, but your main problem seems to be that you need to, uh, “git gud.” :D

If you knew Pathfinder, you’d know that just putting the heaviest armor you can find on a character isn’t always the right decision.

Also, yeah - a low-level Wizard only has a couple of spells, and you cast one. Why didn’t you rest? At 20 Int, you should have 2 1st-level spells available (unless you’re a specialist) and a whole bunch of cantrips. Rejigger your spell selection before going into the spider cave. [Ed: And burn through some scrolls! You should have some by now. And that’s what they’re for!]

Also, if you knew PF well, you’d know ...
    A swarm made up of Tiny creatures takes half damage from slashing and piercing weapons. A swarm composed of Fine or Diminutive creatures is immune to all weapon damage

... so, no, you can’t stomp on the spider swarm like Dirty Dancing and actually do any damage to it - it’s immune to weapon damage. They are, however, extremely susceptible to AoEs - like, say, those burning hands spells.

The game should be smart enough to account for the fact that even someone with 8 INT would first use their feet to deal with a small arachnid or insect, not laboriously unsheathe their fuckhueg sword and then proceed to swat at the swarm with the sharp side. Ok, maybe the barbarian is that dumb, but the Inquisitor? She starts of with what, a +2 INT modifier? Just treat it as a kick that does 1d4 + STR damage, it's not that hard to program.

I think you didn't read what I posted. A kick (being an unarmed attack, which is a weapon) does no damage against swarms of super-small enemies, like, you know, regular spiders. Sure, you killed 10 of them! Congrats! There's somewhere between 1,500 and 10,000 of them in the swarm. In this case, adding that kick attack would be against Pathfinder rules, because the game has been completely faithfully translated; it has nothing to do with how hard it is to program.

Here's the basic PF spider swarm stats:

bg3l7nne3h5c.png

Note the weapon damage immunity?
    Still doesn't explain or excuse the custom wizard missing every. Single. Spell. That isn't hyperbole, I kept track after I noticed damage output was slightly lower than it should have been. From the tuutorial in the keep all the way up to that stupid spider cave, every single spell that didn't have an AoE component ALWAYS missed. This was your bog standard optimized wizard build, I've played them in the actual tabletop before and something under the hood is fucky if somehow every single enemy has a touch AC far greater than I can consistently hit.

Then, sorry, you're doing it wrong, because I'm using save-based and touch-attack based spells a whole lot (running a Magus as my main PC), and I've had only the expected trouble in getting spells to work on my enemies (e.g., Color Spray doesn't work on spiders).

Also, wizards have trouble hitting touch ACs if they're firing into melee, unless they've spent two feats (at least) making their ranged touch spells good at that.

But, again, I haven't seen this issue - I've used melee and ranged touch attack spells a huge amount without issue, and I just picked up an NPC mage who's making Ice Bolt sneak attacks for massive damage.

:shrug:

Elvenshae on
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna return this. It's a good game, but it's not what I want.

I'll check back in a few months to see if anybody has figured out how to mod in fully turn-based combat, I might reconsider it at that point.

WACriminal wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna return this. It's a good game, but it's not what I want.

I'll check back in a few months to see if anybody has figured out how to mod in fully turn-based combat, I might reconsider it at that point.

Pretty unlikely. Sorry it wasn't your thing! :)

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Recommend ability and skill points and any other bits and bobs for making an alchemist grenadier, please?

None of the portraits are very alchemical. :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Recommend ability and skill points and any other bits and bobs for making an alchemist grenadier, please?

None of the portraits are very alchemical. :(

Create a custom portrait before leaving character creation. You can then update it later.

I forgot to do that.

This discussion has been closed.