As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[South Park]? They still make that?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Eh. Not sure about this one.

There was some kind of message about apathy over mass shootings but I didn't get it, either. There were a million jokes they could have gone with like President Garrison sending thoughts and prayers to the wrong school since the shootings happen so frequently or maybe all the Moms patting themselves on their backs for banning a bad influence like Fortnite from their homes but it doesn't do anything to curb real shootings --- what they went with was limp.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm wondering if Trey and Parker are getting sick of doing this.
    I thought the whole #CancelSouthpark thing was just marketing, trying to go viral on twitter to draw attention to the new season.

But after watching that episode.. I wonder if it's more a call for help.

I don't know, these last couple seasons just don't seem like their heart is still in it.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    see317 wrote: »
    I thought the whole #CancelSouthpark thing was just marketing, trying to go viral on twitter to draw attention to the new season.

I don't know, these last couple seasons just don't seem like their heart is still in it.

Maybe they can't let go of the gravy train, despite losing their drive. SP is a safe IP for them, nothing else really took off.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Maybe they can't let go of the gravy train, despite losing their drive. SP is a safe IP for them, nothing else really took off.

The Book of Mormon was a hit. I'm pretty sure that Orgazmo and Team America have reached "Cult Classic" status, though I'm not sure if that translates financially.
    I mean, they may not be sitting on a Disney-esque throne of intellectual property, and they've certainly had some projects that crashed and burned, but I have to imagine they have enough name recognition that if they said "Hey, we want to do something else" they'd have investors lining up to throw money at their new project.

• Options
    edited September 2018

The Book of Mormon was a hit. I'm pretty sure that Orgazmo and Team America have reached "Cult Classic" status, though I'm not sure if that translates financially.
    I mean, they may not be sitting on a Disney-esque throne of intellectual property, and they've certainly had some projects that crashed and burned, but I have to imagine they have enough name recognition that if they said "Hey, we want to do something else" they'd have investors lining up to throw money at their new project.

You're right they've had the occasional small hit but none of those displayed a consistent, reliable financial stream like South Park has. They're primarily tv producers, not movie makers.

They don't need to be Disney versatile, but their IP's are not that diverse career wise outside SP. Many IP creators are like this, which is why they have trouble moving forward - like JK Rowling.

This isn't about name recognition, it's being able to create an empire built on various ongoing IP's, and I don't think they've accomplished that, besides SP. That's their golden goose, and their legacy.

It's not solely about getting investors lined up, though that is important, it's that they can maintain and expand that beyond what they're doing now, and I don't think they'll ever do that. If they had they'd have done it years ago in their peak.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Book of Mormon won a Tony. I think they're more than confident in their ability yo create new properties

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, this episode really missed with me. The disturbing apathy over school shootings was an interesting premise, but they didn’t really do anything interesting with it.

It would have been better served by being focused on the kids than Randy and Sharron.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I actually liked the darkness and bleakness with which they approached mass-shooting fatigue. The Black Panther stuff I found confusing and boring.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I really identified with Sharon. Whenever there's *another* shooting, I feel like I'm the only one that gives a shit and my friends and family literally treat me the same way. The scene with Randy at the dinner table was perfect.

"Did you shoot up the school?"
    "No."
    "Did you get shot?"
    "No."
    "Okay, so what's this about a math test?"

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I could see what they were going for but the criticism they were leveling felt pretty toothless. Having Sharon join the apathy club at the end just let all the air out of it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know what kind of teeth you would have wanted, it was an episode mocking how we react to school shootings and how depressing it is to feel like a lone sane voice because everyone else is so apathetic and Sharon ultimately gives up because she realizes no one is going to change.

Reminds me of that episode where Wendy is trying to fight against unrealistic expectations of beauty and all the photoshopping but in the end gives up.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The episode was fine, but the shooting background noise didn't land right. Either make a statement about guns in school or the students mental health but it didn't mesh well with the Randy menopause thing.

I thought the Cartman subplot worked because it's Cartman being sabotaging himself while being a mouthpiece for Matt and Trey's thoughts about Black Panther (it was good and made money but it wasn't this cinematic revelation that the media tried to make it when released and since they're in hollywood they probably got bombarded even more over it), it was pretty standard stuff.

Butters with a gun as hall monitor was the highlight though.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I don't know what kind of teeth you would have wanted, it was an episode mocking how we react to school shootings and how depressing it is to feel like a lone sane voice because everyone else is so apathetic and Sharon ultimately gives up because she realizes no one is going to change.

Reminds me of that episode where Wendy is trying to fight against unrealistic expectations of beauty and all the photoshopping but in the end gives up.

Maybe teeth wasn't the right word. It wasn't clever enough. It didn't tell us something we didn't already know or carry a message that wound up being meaningful in any way. It felt more like it was making a mockery of people who actually do care about gun violence, in a very weak way.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Randy's pantomiming was pretty funny. The rest was amusing enough.

I don't expect any deep insights or profound observations out of South Park.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Maybe teeth wasn't the right word. It wasn't clever enough. It didn't tell us something we didn't already know or carry a message that wound up being meaningful in any way. It felt more like it was making a mockery of people who actually do care about gun violence, in a very weak way.

That's their modus operandi. Nothing will ever get better so don't even try. The only crime is caring and the only pleasure is mocking those who care. They infected a generation with their cynical nihilism, moral cowardice, and inability to distinguish petty dickishness with edginess. They are too chickenshit to take a stand so they point and laugh at people who do. They're just trolls who hate everything but don't have the guts to finally off themselves.

The worst part is that they had a great base for their humor originally. Their wacky songs were always the heart and soul of their comedy, but that's work and they'd rather just be lazy assholes most of the time. They could've been great, but they settled for their own decay. Fuck them.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The episode was fine, but the shooting background noise didn't land right. Either make a statement about guns in school or the students mental health but it didn't mesh well with the Randy menopause thing.

I thought the Cartman subplot worked because it's Cartman being sabotaging himself while being a mouthpiece for Matt and Trey's thoughts about Black Panther (it was good and made money but it wasn't this cinematic revelation that the media tried to make it when released and since they're in hollywood they probably got bombarded even more over it), it was pretty standard stuff.

Can I point something out about this?

Black Panther was revolutionary full stop. It was a cinematic revelation full stop. The superhero genre is the dominant genre of our time, like the Western was back in its heyday. You don't have to like that, but it is. Its where all the money is going and where most of the media attention is right now. Then you have BP, a 200 million dollar budget movie, staring a almost all black cast, with a black main superhero. Main, not a sidekick like Rhodey, Falcon and Cyborg, but the center of the action. This is something that has never happened. This is something that conventional wisdom says shouldn't happen. Spending 200 million on a such a movie is a revolutionary act. Having it not only be a success to its "target" audience of black moviegoers, but to "mainstream" white audiences as well is a cinematic revelation to what is "viable" in our movie system.

Why do I mention this? Because I am afraid that Matt and Trey is going to do a Big Gay Al/Boy scouts of America thing again. They are going to have Token "confirm" their opinion. If that happens... well it will be complete bullshit... two white middle age straight guys using a minority character as their mouthpiece... to complain about a issue that is dear to said minority.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Can I point something out about this?

Black Panther was revolutionary full stop. It was a cinematic revelation full stop. The superhero genre is the dominant genre of our time, like the Western was back in its heyday. You don't have to like that, but it is. Its where all the money is going and where most of the media attention is right now. Then you have BP, a 200 million dollar budget movie, staring a almost all black cast, with a black main superhero. Main, not a sidekick like Rhodey, Falcon and Cyborg, but the center of the action. This is something that has never happened. This is something that conventional wisdom says shouldn't happen. Spending 200 million on a such a movie is a revolutionary act. Having it not only be a success to its "target" audience of black moviegoers, but to "mainstream" white audiences as well is a cinematic revelation to what is "viable" in our movie system.

Why do I mention this? Because I am afraid that Matt and Trey is going to do a Big Gay Al/Boy scouts of America thing again. They are going to have Token "confirm" their opinion. If that happens... well it will be complete bullshit... two white middle age straight guys using a minority character as their mouthpiece... to complain about a issue that is dear to said minority.

It doing something new doesn't stop it being an average movie, and it's a fair claim to make. And as far as I'm aware, the guy voicing Token is black, and part of the writers room, so has a voice in the process.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    It doing something new doesn't stop it being an average movie, and it's a fair claim to make. And as far as I'm aware, the guy voicing Token is black, and part of the writers room, so has a voice in the process.

Whether it's an average movie varies on the taste of who watches it, which is neither here nor there. But that's not the problem with the criticism, it's how the movie was able to viewed as an accomplishment for the Black community. Which it is. BP does many things most movies with Black characters in them don't, including Blade.

How much power does he ultimately have over what his character says or the scripts, compare to Trey and Stone? I thought they were calling the shots? Also, how open are they to criticism or other points of view in their writers rooms?

edit: From an outsider's perspective, from not only viewing their products but their interviews, Trey and Stone comes off as an intellectual edge lord contrarians with an unhealthy depth of apathy. They don't sound like the type of dudes who'd be ok having a contested argument over racial issues in the work space. Or any space, really. They never really grew up and what they have evolved on has been slight and had to be done kicking and screaming to the right choices. Introspection and emotional intelligence aren't that high as a priority as it should be from what I've seen. Plus, y'know, Libertarians.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I found myself agreeing with Cartman this episode.
    I liked BP but I was very bored whilst watching most of the action scenes. Definitely low down on my list of MCU movies.
    It was still a really important moment in cinema and wider culture for PoC though.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Good episode, better than the premiere. Making Randy and the town need church more so they can have something to pick on/make fun of to feel better about themselves was nice, and Butters being Butters worked (though he's sounding more like Kyle these days).

Looks like it's going to be just subtle continuity, as Stan's arm was in a sling following last week.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    "It was an 8 year old's birthday party. Of course it was cum!"

• Options
    edited October 2018
    The Catholic League attacked Parker and Stone for this episode calling them cowards for not "accurately" portraying that its homosexuals that prey on little children.

Viskod on
  • Options
    I thought this episode was brilliant. It's what? The 3rd time Matt and Trey have covered the Catholic church molesting children? Maybe if the church would stop doing that, they wouldn't continue to be lampooned for it.

This episode had just the right amount of over-the-top absurdity that it is easily one of my favorite episodes from the last few years.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    The Catholic League attacked Parker and Stone for this episode calling them cowards for not "accurately" portraying that its homosexuals that prey on little children.

Seriously?

• Options
    edited October 2018
    hawkbox wrote: »

Seriously?

Well the Catholic league if you'll recall are the guys that usurped the Pope in the Peter rabbit episode. That was barely an exaggeration of how they act. They are the worst faction of american Catholics

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Oh those guys.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

Seriously?

Yes.

https://www.catholicleague.org/south-park-creators-are-cowards/

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Seriously?

Yes.

...wow.
    "They should have portrayed the molesting priests as homosexuals, not pedophiles. Get it right."

I can't help but think there must have been a better way that could have been worded.

see317 on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I mean, if nothing else there's the fact that one doesn't actually cancel out the other.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

Seriously?

Yes.

...wow.
    "They should have portrayed the molesting priests as homosexuals, not pedophiles. Get it right."

I can't help but think there must have been a better way that could have been worded.

Couldn't have been said better in my opinion.

You know exactly who you are dealing with after reading it.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

Seriously?

Yes.

...wow.

No that's their official policy on this. Gay priests are the issue not centuries of pedophilia protected by the church

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I loved this episode. Their local priest cares for his "flock" and seems like a generally upstanding dude. But he's part of a shitty organization that probably needs to be brought down or at least have a huge house cleaning.

I love any episode that is heavy on Butters though, so maybe I'm biased.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Butters understands how dangerous some adults are, right up until he doesn't, and falls for their bullshit.
    "Worst Birthday ever!" :lol:

And that Carbon-based meat-bag has both meaning and purpose. Randy just hasn't figured it out for themselves yet.

So why go to church instead of an open-mic night at a comedy club? Because church is free, and most are in on the joke.
    "One is supposed to behold and partake of the glory of [a] God,
    for example, in a way in which chickens do not share in the glory
    of coq au vin..."

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    This season really hasn’t been landing with me yet. Last week was alright, but this Mr. Hankey plot was not very good.

Loved the PC Principal story though!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I haven't watched South Park in...ten or fifteen years? Yeesh. Anyway, I picked up Fractured But Whole when it was on sale, and just started in on it. The difficulty slider slayed me. This should be an interesting ride.

• Options
    I took way to long to get the joke in the title of that game.

• Options
    Meh episode, but better than the first of the season. A real weak jab at the Simpsons at the end too.

There could have been something stronger here, about South Park trying to avoid the outrage of Mr. Hanky despite him being a longtime friend and putting Mr. Hanky down the memory hole because it's 2018 and better the outrage mob gets you instead of me like Cartman alluded too, or how he wasn't being a jerk but the PC Babies were getting offended about everything he normally did to prepare for Christmas (sometimes PC Babies don't even know what they're crying about!), but nothing stuck because they ran that Ambien joke into the ground (props for the defecation lawsuit pun). They didn't go meta enough or make fun of the PC family enough.

• Options
    I found this episode to be the funniest one so far. I loved all of Mr. Hankey's tweets. Not even in the context of anything that's going on with current events lately of anything, they just made me laugh as these blatant, horrible insults. I loved his meltdown at the Christmas concert. Also I love PC Principal, he's one of my favorite characters, his story was great.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I hate those PC babies.

• Options
    Episode was probably a B rating for me.

I don't get the Ambien joke. Is that tied to some sort of recent event? Did a person in real life try to blame Ambien (or another legal drug) for their out of control tweeting?

I did find the individual tweets to be hilarious, and PC Principal saying he was the Mannie was awesome. But the overall cohesion of the episode was a bit weak.