As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Recommend ability and skill points and any other bits and bobs for making an alchemist grenadier, please?

None of the portraits are very alchemical. :(
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Yeah, this thread is seriously chipping away at my don't-buy-Pathfinder resolve.

Hypothetically, how would one go about building one of these grenadier "the shit" alchemists?

Go human. Int primary, Dex secondary. Enjoy the 5 fireballs you have at lvl 1. Get the bombs don't affect teammates and the burning bomb upgrades and cackle as everything burns to the ground. Except your team.

Grenadiers start with throw anything, so you can do point blank and precise shot at 1st so you don't miss your grenades and have decent ranged backup.

Only downside to grenades is with travel time, at lvl 1 you can accidentally kill yourself/your team pretty easy.

Or simplified. Str 10 Dex 16 con 10 wis 10 int 18 [+2 human bonus on top of this] cha can be sacrificed for extra points as needed.

Skills- you've got 20 intelligence. Points in everything except cha skills.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Pressing “H” tells your party to stay in-place. It can help with grenade / fireball / burning hands issues.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Thanks, @Moridin889 and all. I needed a little help beyond that initial guidance you gave last page.

How'd I do?
    XyqHmom.jpg

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Well, shit

I found a save game editor and tired using it to modify my stats because I kinda hate point buy systems and prefer rolling my stats but like a moron I didn't backup my save first. Needless to say my save game is toast.

Ah well, I kinda wanted to start over now that I know Arcane Archer is a Magus subtype anyways.

Still wish there was a functioning editor out there though. I really don't like point buy systems >_<

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Random rolls are always a tough sell in computer rpg's because it invites the bad habit of re-rolling till you're happy.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Apparently "Latest patch has bug that can lead to OP characters via item bonuses stacking indefinitely" Steam Thread

The longer I read about an amount of bugs here, the more I wonder when I will be able to properly begin playing it.

I found 3 bugs in a Character Creator! And Im pretty sure this is not the end of it! Did this game have any QA testing?

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    There are way more than 3 bugs in the character creator.

edited October 2018
    Yeah, but those are the ones I found immediately.

Asthariel on
    Welp, died to the bad guys in the courtyard of the first area because I left daze on auto cast for my back liners and confused myself between 'knocked down' and dead for them.

I might roll a less caster heavy PC honestly because it's already an overwhelming number of choices to settle in for.

edited October 2018
    Random rolls are always a tough sell in computer rpg's because it invites the bad habit of re-rolling till you're happy.

I don't disagree but at the same time if someone wants to reroll their way for a week to 6 18s I feel like the time commitment is punishment enough.

*edit*
    Especially since the first time they get it they will almost assuredly click past it by accident :P

HappylilElf on
    IMO for stat rolls they should just do a roll using a fairly generous system (with a minimum point amount and so on) then lock you into that for a day.

You wanna re-roll that array? Come back in twenty four hours. Otherwise that's what you get.

IMO for stat rolls they should just do a roll using a fairly generous system (with a minimum point amount and so on) then lock you into that for a day.

You wanna re-roll that array? Come back in twenty four hours. Otherwise that's what you get.

I'd agree but I just can't bring myself to care that much. People will play the game they want to play it and frankly higher stats don't actually help that much except in the lower levels unless you can do something truly absurd with them.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Using random sets of rolls for character creation kind of assures that the first tip given for everyone asking for character creation tips is "keep rolling until you get max result, then use X race to max out your results". Random rolling always brings the min/maxers to the yard, as opposed to the point system, which makes most anything possible if you're willing to mess around a bit. I mean, you can start with a stat up around 20 if you really want to invest nearly all of your points and your bonuses for some races, but at the same time, you can also make some characters that aren't as super-powerful, but they're more well-rounded with some really good save scores if needed.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Very first trading post near the start of the game:
    Oleg, I hope you're happy at the sheer amount of effort it took to keep you from dying since your position is so far forward that when you threw that alchemist fire, it draws the aggro of every single bandit at you.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    All these are reasons why rolling sucks. Just use a save editor if you truly must.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Rolling is good for pen and paper, where you can play a bad roll as a characters trait/weakness, or where you can brag to the other players about your 17 charisma, no, Im not a paladin, Im just gorgeous.

For PC games, I find the point selection VERY liberating, because I would be rolling untill the end of times otherwise.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    As someone who has rolled a character that was completely useless in combat, nah. Overpowered and underpowered characters only make it harder on the GM. Rolling sucks. Point buy for life.

Did anyone here found somewhere a good portrait for male Inquisitor?

If someone makes a game for West Marches as faithful as Kingmaker is to its initial module I’d be 100% down for forcing hard rolls on characters but otherwise it’s just hard to balance a computer game around a central pc who could be significantly under curve.

My grenadier is struggling in the early game.

1) Does she get the 'grenades don't harm your party' ability automatically at level two or do i need to pick it?

2) Are there good armor/shield/weapon upgrades I should be looking for at Oleg's for Valerie, Amari and Linzi? I'm wary of adding weight to my constantly encumbrance managing party.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Recommend ability and skill points and any other bits and bobs for making an alchemist grenadier, please?

None of the portraits are very alchemical. :(

Create a custom portrait before leaving character creation. You can then update it later.

I forgot to do that.

Dang I didn't know that was a thing.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

1) Does she get the 'grenades don't harm your party' ability automatically at level two or do i need to pick it?

2) Are there good armor/shield/weapon upgrades I should be looking for at Oleg's for Valerie, Amari and Linzi? I'm wary of adding weight to my constantly encumbrance managing party.

1) You're looking for the Precise Bomb discovery, which you have to choose.

2) The only thing I've bought so far is a bag of holding (2500gp), which mostly took care of my encumbrance issues.

Okay thanks.

Shoot, I took Infusion so I could cast cure light wounds on my party. So either I go back in time via save game magic or I wait until level 4. Hrm.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular

2) The only thing I've bought so far is a bag of holding (2500gp), which mostly took care of my encumbrance issues.

I've personally taken to leaving armor behind if I think I'm gonna be away from camp for a while. That stuff is way heavy.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

1)No, grenadiers get that for free at 2nd level. @Iolo

captaink on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Mentioned this above, but Valerie’s tower shield gives her a -2 to attack rolls until (Fighter) level 5. Consider swapping it it for a heavy shield until then. Valerie is good in medium or heavy armor, and don’t worry about her personal encumbrance.

Linzi is low-strength, high-dex, so she’s good in light armor with a crossbow. Don’t let her personal encumbrance get to medium. Look at picking up some ranged feats for her if you want to up her damage.

In D&D / PF, there aren’t a whole lot of “incremental” upgrades. You can kinda pick one set up gear and then change it out for magical versions as you find them. Masterwork weapons, though, are a +1 to hitnover normal weapons, so those are good first upgrades.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I like isometric rpg's, mostly.
    But i tend to hate the combat.
    In isometric rpg's, combat is treated as a puzzle to be solved, except the answer to that puzzle is always the same.
    Tyranny: knockdowns, knockdowns, knockdowns...
    PoE: stealth pull to arquebus volley, knockdowns, retreat, arquebus volley, knockdown, retreat
    DOS2: strip armor, hit, heal, strip armor, hit, heal...
    The combat difficulty is such that any subpar combat characters become a liability, and non combat skills are usually not needed because fighting can circumvent any real problem and diplomacy is optional (and combat is not).

So, while i am liking what i hear about kingdom building, i am somewhat worried about the issue i raised above.
    How open is this game to non optimized parties using non cheese tactics?

Honestly Pathfinder's particular tabletop obsession, limited spell slots and so on might help alleviate that a bit because a lot of the resource management in combat isn't about how to optimally beat the fight but how to do so while spending the fewest possible permanent stuff.

Admittedly though it is a game based on Pathfinder that features text like 'lose the advantage of any and all paladin traits or levels until your alignment is restored' so if mechanical engagement with the nitty gritty isn't what you want I'd play on the lower difficulties (heck there's even custom difficulties so you can still have an engaging kingdom building choice while breezing through the standard fights).

Lot of rpg's, i think, are afraid to let players feel powerful.
    Everything must pose a challenge, no matter how powerful you become, your opponents must be equally, or more, powerful, nothing can be easy or players will loose interest.

It's something isometric rpg's are especially guilty of.
    I dislike this, it's so easy to get the blance wrong, and becomming strong has no meaning if random bandits are just as strong.
    This is why i really enjoyed the keep in NWN2 (and to lesser extent, strongholds in BG2), they felt like tangible shows of force, something that placed you apart from random adventurers found in any tavern where hooded figures with plot hooks gather.
    PoE keep and Tyranny spires, did not really work so well. Possibly because it's already been done, and done better, but the kingdom building sounds like a new interesting take for this kind of rpg's.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I kinda wish this was pure turn based. Mostly because it makes charging with my melee almost impossible. By the time their cooldown to charge procs, the enemies are already halfway to the rest of the party.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited October 2018
    I'm running a grenadier, and have the tanky fighter, barbarian and bard. I think I pretty badly need another party member. Is it worth 2k gold to get one at Oleg's or are there others I could go and get? (Put behind spoilers if need be.)

If 2k gold (basically all my gold) is a good investment at this point, what do I need? Maybe a DPS wizard of some point? (I suspect can get a storyline cleric if I run into whats-his-name again, but he's eluded me for the moment.)

EDIT: Or maybe a summoner of some sort? Do they stay viable later in the game?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Everything must pose a challenge, no matter how powerful you become, your opponents must be equally, or more, powerful, nothing can be easy or players will loose interest.

I dislike this, it's so easy to get the blance wrong, and becomming strong has no meaning if random bandits are just as strong.
    This is why i really enjoyed the keep in NWN2 (and to lesser extent, strongholds in BG2), they felt like tangible shows of force, something that placed you apart from random adventurers found in any tavern where hooded figures with plot hooks gather.
    PoE keep and Tyranny spires, did not really work so well. Possibly because it's already been done, and done better, but the kingdom building sounds like a new interesting take for this kind of rpg's.

I tend to break nearly any RPG I play, and manage to create some sort of a demigod wizard/sorcerer.
    I'm okay with that. It's a major reason for me to play these games. Often requires gaming the system, and being a straight up munchkin minmaxer though, but that's fine.

One major issue I had with Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, is thematically how bog standard and mundane the magic is. Sucked all joy out of being a wizard, when every filthy peasant can do some sorta magical bullshit.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I'm running a grenadier, and have the tanky fighter, barbarian and bard. I think I pretty badly need another party member. Is it worth 2k gold to get one at Oleg's or are there others I could go and get? (Put behind spoilers if need be.)

If 2k gold (basically all my gold) is a good investment at this point, what do I need? Maybe a DPS wizard of some point? (I suspect can get a storyline cleric if I run into whats-his-name again, but he's eluded me for the moment.)

EDIT: Or maybe a summoner of some sort? Do they stay viable later in the game?

It shouldn't take long to get a full party.

Rhan9 wrote: »

I tend to break nearly any RPG I play, and manage to create some sort of a demigod wizard/sorcerer.
    I'm okay with that. It's a major reason for me to play these games. Often requires gaming the system, and being a straight up munchkin minmaxer though, but that's fine.

One major issue I had with Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2, is thematically how bog standard and mundane the magic is. Sucked all joy out of being a wizard, when every filthy peasant can do some sorta magical bullshit.
    Yeah, i kinda hate having to do that, i want the levels themselves mean something, and i want to play characters that are built around a theme.
    I have nothing against min maxing itself, i just don't to do it myself, and i definitely don't want it to feel like it is necessary.
    If the game has non combat skills in it, they should be a viable option to pick even for a combat character.

As for mundane magic, i kinda like the idea of magic being mundane, not necessarily something everyone can do well, but something that is everywhere in some capacity.
    Because realisticly, magic being real should change how the world functions, even if only in small ways, the medieval stasis with wizards makes no sense, if magic can be trained, and magic items almost never break, why are magical street lamps not a thing, why aren't keep doors operated with magic.
    Which is why i think Eberron is such a cool setting for the most part.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

The full tabletop game has a class called an Arcanist that is a sor/wiz hybrid. The Alchemist and the Arcanist are my two favorite classes in the whole system. I wish the Arcanist had made it into the crpg but its a very complicated class so I know why it didn't. The whole shtick for the Arcanist is that they are kind of like a 'hacker' of magic.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    Okay, does anyone have any advice for:
    The slaver's encampment? I'm level 2 and have Magus, Barbarian, Fighter for my party (Linzi's the one who got enslaved)

Okay, does anyone have any advice for:
    The slaver's encampment? I'm level 2 and have Magus, Barbarian, Fighter for my party (Linzi's the one who got enslaved)
    Sneak up the right side of the map. An archer will come out on patrol. Kill them when they wander out, and the sworsdperson that comes to save them. Sneak up and free the prisoners. Now you have 7 party members. Watch out for kallanah summoning 20 dogs afterwards.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    One thing this game desperately needs, is either a speed-up button, or to remove the speed debuff from rain. It's raining way too often in my game, and I can set my guys to cross a map, and go make coffee or something in the meantime.

One thing this game desperately needs, is either a speed-up button, or to remove the speed debuff from rain. It's raining way too often in my game, and I can set my guys to cross a map, and go make coffee or something in the meantime.

Rest and wait it out?

This discussion has been closed.