As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Green Living - How To and Questions

124»

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    ceres wrote: »
    That's pretty good. The only thing that worries me about going full electric is that about once every two years or so I end up driving across the country and back. I think most of 40 has charging stations along the way? But the Middleofnowheresville, New Mexico, is not someplace I want to be stuck.

But it's a hybrid, so you wouldn't be stuck. You'd just be operating on gas for much of the trip.

Edit: Sorry, missed you said full electric so thought you were still talking about the plug-in hybrid.

Daenris on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, apparently the Sonata gets 500 miles? That's enough to get me from one gas station to another, but there are points on a few of the highways in this country where the 200ish miles you get on a really good full electric just isn't, and driving one would require a 20-minute stop at every. single. exit, assuming you aren't traveling in July or December. So Scott keeps saying "well it would be pretty cool to have one just for commutes." But then how do you get it out of here without shipping it? Vegas is not exactly the east coast with another town with services every 20 miles if you missed the last one.

I think I heard something at some point about Tesla springing for charging stations at appropriate intervals along 70, but that is one of the most terrifying drives I've been on once you get west of Denver.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Might be worth just renting a car or borrowing from a friend for those occasional vacations.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Yeah, electric vehicles are very good as commuting / 2nd cars, but I wouldn't want one (yet) as my only car if I was intending to drive it on long vacations.

The other thing that's worth considering is doing the math behind gas savings vs just renting a car for trips; when buying our last car, the math behind 4WD (and the associated increased cost and decreased fuel mileage) for a once every year or so ski trip really didn't make sense instead of just renting an SUV for that week.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    On one hand, I want to support this technology in its infancy.

On the other, infant technology, much like infant humans, tends to poop all over the place.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    We've had an electric car for about 8 months now - no poop yet :P

Funnily enough, our other car is a hybrid Sonata. That one has had some issues over the years to the point where I'm not sure I'd buy another Hyundai right now. And that'd despite previously happily owning an Elantra, and my parents driving nothing but Hyundai for over 10 years now. We had a series of problems that seemed to be computer related that were impossible to get the dealership to solve (or even take very seriously) until it finally reached a point where the car spent over a week with them while they worked on it with further guidance from Hyundai. In the meantime I had to get it towed from various parking lots three different times when it was impossible to properly start - extra big fun when I had my kids with me.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Does anybody know of a widget to calculate the environmental impact inflection point of sticking with an old decent mpg vehicle vs the manufacture of a new one?

Like, i currently have a pretty well maintained 2005 Pontiac vibe with almost 160k on it.
    At what point does continuing to put miles on it stop being better than getting a new much more efficient car?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Does anybody know of a widget to calculate the environmental impact inflection point of sticking with an old decent mpg vehicle vs the manufacture of a new one?

Like, I currently have a pretty well maintained 2005 Pontiac vibe with almost 160k on it.
    At what point does continuing to put miles on it stop being better than getting a new much more efficient car?

It depends. What emissions standards does the car comply to, how is the fuel consumption compared to a brand new vehicle, and how much of the car will be recycled if you scrap it? Because trading it and buying a new car is guaranteed to make things worse, simply because the dealership will on-sell your old car to someone else, so all you will have achieved w/r/t saving the environment is the damage caused by the manufacture of the new car.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I don't know the answer to most of those questions. That's why i asked. :razz:
    Somebody's got to buy new cars, or better more efficient cars will never eventually replace the gas guzzlers.

And i would hope the dealer would on-sell the car. If it replaces someone's '96 oldsmobile that's probably a net gain.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Has anyone used footprintcalculator.org? I've used it before, but they updated it this year and now it also calculates your personal earth overshoot day and mine is... depressing. Our situation is such that, while I could certainly do better with some small things, because we live in an apartment in an area with poor public transport, a lot is out of my control. One thing I can do is buy more local stuff, but lately I seem to eat cheerios/milk, yogurt/granola, and bananas. I don't think any of those things come locally. It's something to look up.

Anyway, it's a neat site and now they have a mobile app, so everyone should go find out how many earths they use and what their overshoot day is. They make all their data available and have a ton of info available, too.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Has anyone used footprintcalculator.org? I've used it before, but they updated it this year and now it also calculates your personal earth overshoot day and mine is... depressing. Our situation is such that, while I could certainly do better with some small things, because we live in an apartment in an area with poor public transport, a lot is out of my control. One thing I can do is buy more local stuff, but lately I seem to eat cheerios/milk, yogurt/granola, and bananas. I don't think any of those things come locally. It's something to look up.

Anyway, it's a neat site and now they have a mobile app, so everyone should go find out how many earths they use and what their overshoot day is. They make all their data available and have a ton of info available, too.

granola is really really easy to make!

I made three cups last night. It's just 3 cups oats, 1/4 cup veg oil, 1/2 cup honey, 1 tsp vanilla, 6 tbsp brown sugar, cinnamon, and whatever else you want it to taste like (I used some allspice)

oven at 300 for 15 minutes on a baking sheet, stir, 8 more minutes in the oven, place on rack, and stir a couple more time while it cools

add slivered almonds if desired

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

I tried footprintcalculator today. I was not impressed.

Specifically, about half the questions were impossible to answer.

Do I produce more garbage than my neighbours? How should I know? And even if I did, is my neighbourhood representative?

Do I eat fish frequently? Yes, every day, but that only sums to 1100 g per week (~2.4 pounds). How does that measure up?

Etc, etc.

Or meaningless:

Do I eat locally grown food? The only locally grown food in Norway in the winter months is potatoes, grains and animal products. And during summer, much of the rest is grown in greenhouses. (I saw some numbers on another occasion; it's much better to import my tomatoes than to grow them here.)

Do I eat fresh food? Today, for dinner, I ate a dish a made myself out of frozen peas, frozen broccoli, dry pasta, stock cubes, fresh onions, fresh garlic and eggs. Only the eggs, garlic and onions were fresh. My only source of peas is frozen, canned or dried (except during about 2 weeks per year, when I can buy them in a pod). I could get fresh (local, even) broccoli but I'm not sure that is better. And I'm not making pasta (or vegetable stock) from scratch.

Etc.

The only good questions were the ones with obvious quantitative answers. How big is my apartment? How many hours do I fly per year?

For the record: Answering to the best of my knowledge, it arrived at June 6th or 2 earths. (Cutting out all air travel I could improve it to late August or 1.5 earths, but in the other categories there was nothing to give (e.g., I only use muscle-powered transport day-to-day) or impossible to answer anyway (e.g., I "occasionally" buy books but newspapers daily, so my answer on that was almost entirely arbitrary).)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Glad you tried it. I thought the same about the trash thing, but didn't even think of much of the rest.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    not sure if anyone's covered this, but are there earth-friendly ways to clean a toilet bowl? we had been using one of those toilet wands with the replaceable brush heads, but i suspect that's a huge source of plastic waste.

my googling is turning up surprisingly little on whether the brush heads are really bad, but my gut says yes.

is using a single brush with cleaning liquid better overall?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562