As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Put together a Plasma Obliterator for my genestealer cult out of all this spare mechanicus terrain. Gotta drape it in spooky cult insignia then...not sure on a paint scheme yet. Probably rusted to hell.
    JYsP1KR.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    Sweet Beyblades, Dayspring~

Tzeentch is back...in pog form!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    It beats breakeys.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Purple
    My new vallejo surface primer showed up today. Basecoated a flyrant, 10 GSC from the killteam box and three hive guard.

A bit more time consuming than the old rattle can, but holy crap does it give a smooth finish. Dunno if the pics do it justice, but most of these guys look like they were molded from black plastic now.

10/10, great product.

jqyuux4h4xib.jpg
    s8yhteug4voa.jpg
    5a8p7yo5ljgk.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fuck that looks good. I need to get qn airbrush.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Trying out fire effects again. I think this looks a lot smoother than my tzeentch flamers

e332h9wjtyr0.jpg

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Fuck that looks good. I need to get qn airbrush.

N.B. VSP can be brushed on too. Takes forever, mind, but there you go.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    A cheap crappy Masters airbrush and a little cake decorating air compressor are around 50 bucks, and will let you prime and basecoat to your heart’s content. You’ll wanna at least get a real compressor eventually but it’s enough to learn the basics with.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Do you guys thin down Vallejo Surface Primer when brushing it on?

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Purple
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

I did not. Tried a GSC mini first because they're expendable and just dumped some in the airbrush as it looked fairly thin on its own.

Zero clogging and got a nice even coat right out of the bottle.

E - you said brushing and my reply was entirely in context of Airbrushing

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

Yes. But it depends.
    You're going to have a longer "active working time" while brushing it, so you'll just want to thin it down a bit anyway to keep it effective for a session. Local temperature / how quickly stuff tends to evaporate (I don't know, is this tied to humidity or some other measure of "arid-ness" of a place? :P ) / whether or not you're using a wet palate would all have some impact, depending on how much you want to put on your palate and the size of your brush while using it. I think you get the idea.
    Otherwise, it doesn't really require any special treatment from a normal water-based acrylic paint.

(I also find when airbrushing I thin it a fair bit or else I get clogs within seconds of starting, and that all bottles are not created equal so you kind of have to feel that out too)

• Options
    You can get big booger strings of congealed paint in Vallejo primer, so before airbrushing I like to stir it and pull out any goop ropes. That usually solves any clog problems, but then I put some airbrush thinner in everything.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    I largely have just been using the VSP straight from the bottle through the airbrush, with largely no problem. Sometimes I'll add a drop of thinner, but only rarely. Most problems I've encountered have been pressure or cleaning issues, and I've mostly moved past that stuff with good practices.

Back to an earlier conversation: my wife placed an Amazon order this week, and I had her add a 32oz bottle of Medea/Iwata cleaner to the purchase. Just over $11 seemed like good value.

Imagine my surprise when the package showed up with two 32 oz bottles. She accidentally double clicked, or something.

I think I have enough cleaning solution to last a lifetime, now. :biggrin:

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Purple
    honovere wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I have two projects for painting now. I'm finally feeling in the mood again.

I'm gonna do my Tau KT in color shift paints, each squad is gonna be a different color. Still need to figure out how to highlight with that or if I even need to highlight.

The other one is painting my AdMech KT like the taken from destiny. I'm thinking I'll need gloss black and white for a base and then try to figure it out from there.

For reference
    FKZIfDe.jpg

That person clearly has six limbs, seems like a genestealer to me.

For real though, that seems like a challenging paint scheme, but I'd love to see the finished project.

Yea, I figure it is gonna be a pain. Like I'm not really sure how to get that effect on the legs transferred to paint. I'm gonna look at some youtube videos for glowing effects.

my idea would a preferably airbrushed gradient from off-white to grey-turquoise to (almost) black gradient as a basecoat than highlight the whole model with glazes of the same greyish turquoise as the midtone of the gradient. Maybe also a pure white wash into the recesses of the off-white parts.

This seems like a case where the late 80s are calling and you want to break out the gloss varnish.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Mrs Kneel: 'Why not buy yourself some minis?'

Me: 'Nah, I've got a big project to finish first'

Mrs: 'Money isn't an object...'

Me: *buys Talos, Baneblade, Lord of Skulls and a crapton of paints*

Once l get all the decorating done upstairs I've got LOADS to paint :D

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »

I look forward to watching you paint all of the things.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »

I look forward to watching you paint all of the things.

I look forward to painting half of it, getting angry, throwing it in the dettol and then glaring at it for five weeks before picking it back up and doing a solid paintjob.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Painting my Lord of Skulls was a long arduous journey of self-discovery. But all I discovered was that a Lord of Skulls has over 100 skulls modeled on it, and each one needed highlighting.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Crosspost from the Gunpla thread, as these as some Gundam themed tau. Specifically Zeon, not the Gundam themselves.

8HpttXp.jpg

• Options
    I am a fan of that Zaku drone.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hawt. I always dig OD tau.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    Hey guys quick question. I'm almost done with my first Kill Team squad and I'd like to paint the eye lenses of my Dark Angel Primaris marines using my MSP Clear Red. I think the technique is to do some monochrome shading and then putting a layer of Clear Red over it, but I'm not 100% sure about the technique. Do I start with a light grey or go darker? Do I still thin my Clear Red?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Is MSP clear red anything like the tamiya clears? If so, it looks great over just a layer of any bright silver.

• Options
    Alright finished up my Hill Giant. It took a lot of paint but the larger size certainly made it easier to practice techniques. I deffinitely learned some things though about multi piece models. I should have probably painted everything before attaching the head, because there were spots a brush just didn't reach. I was able to get some dark wash on it but it wasn't pretty. I have a couple Storm Giants and a Fire Giant on order so more practice!

nhyelg7mhns1.jpg
    i0rp8j0phjc6.jpg

In Progress shots in the spoiler
    Base Coats
    hov5381fv5bd.jpg
    chqld7b8yo0l.jpg

Washes
    e61964asydta.jpg
    32ugxt12p3w5.jpg

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    Hawt. I always dig OD tau.

I tried to do this when i started my tau army but i did not like how it turned out

• Options
    So what are people using to transport their minis? I'm starting to collect enough of them I need to put them into something.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So what are people using to transport their minis? I'm starting to collect enough of them I need to put them into something.
    tackleboxes for infantry, a hardcase with pick and pluck foam (overkill really) for bigger stuff.

I keep meaning to figure out a better solution but these have kept my minis safe for years

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Badablack wrote: »
    Is MSP clear red anything like the tamiya clears? If so, it looks great over just a layer of any bright silver.

I don't believe it is but I've never used it, myself.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The citadel cases with the zigzag foam works well for my bigger plastic models. I wouldn't trust them to hold anything metal though

for warhammer models with 25mm bases I have an old cigar travel case with a bunch of foam trays. It looks kinda like the attached picture by a different company. It was given to me by a friend a while ago so I'm not sure how or where to get it affordably but if you come across one it's pretty much perfect. Mine fits 150 models with no bouncing around or scraping against each other

250xi_open_close.jpg

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The citadel cases with the zigzag foam works well for my bigger plastic models. I wouldn't trust them to hold anything metal though

for warhammer models with 25mm bases I have an old cigar travel case with a bunch of foam trays. It looks kinda like the attached picture by a different company. It was given to me by a friend a while ago so I'm not sure how or where to get it affordably but if you come across one it's pretty much perfect. Mine fits 150 models with no bouncing around or scraping against each other

250xi_open_close.jpg

The old egg crate foam is good for either metal or plastic minis
    I really do recommend the Plano 4-15 in general
    ix9u7agxv6lb.png

It's great as a build box or for general transport of infantry
    I used an old box for my eldar stuff the falcons made it poorly though the years yet things like my monolith and rhinos made it though fine {all three were in different boxes}

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Purple
    I was working on that clear red over silver this morning. I've got a fair mix of GW, Privateer Press, and Reaper mini paint pots. My silver line is eclectic to say the least: Adamantine Black, Pig Iron, and Quicksliver from PP, Leadbelcher base from GW, and then some Polished Silver from Reaper. I like the GW and love PP paints, but the Reaper metallics seem particularly shitty. Especially this New Gold that I'm using. after 4 coats on a sprew (for testing) I couldn't get a nice even layer over black. Likewise the Polished Silver had the same terrible thick consistency that thins extremely poorly. Anyone else have a similar experience? I'm about to give up and buy more GW paints for these colors in particular.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    The newer GW silvers and golds (stormhost silver? Liberator gold?) are pretty nice and probably their best metallics to date. I prefer Vallejo Airs though. They don’t need thinning and go on like silk.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    pewpewpew
    0ZhAyQam.jpg

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Boba Fett? Where?

*Knocks Boba into the Sarlacc pit*

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Thick legs thin coats

0qsv5opny1vt.png

edit: Progress! Taking a break from daemons has been really motivating this weekend
    psdzahgz6lfx.jpg

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    someone didn't skip leg day

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Purple
    Is there an inexpensive green stuff alternative available in NA?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Bought some new paints, vallejo white surface primer, electric blue air, and 3 turquoiseish GW paints and XV88 brown.

Really feeling like painting but getting the motivation up to do it has been difficult.

I think I'm gonna put the Genestealers from the kill team starter box together to try the taken paint scheme.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Is there an inexpensive green stuff alternative available in NA?

https://www.thewarstore.com/Kneadatite-Epoxy-Modeling-Putty-Green-Stuff-35oz-100g.html

• Options
    Purple
    Excellent! Thank you

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
This discussion has been closed.