As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pathfinder: Kingmaker- Wrath of the Righteous out now!

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    In one of my attempts at the early trading post, one of my reloads, and only one, rolled a storm for the weather during the encounter.

Clearly, this was not anticipated in the scripted alchemist fire pot throw, because he threw it like he normally did...and hit nobody, because all of the NPCs were slowed due to the rain and still at least 15 ft away.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    One thing this game desperately needs, is either a speed-up button, or to remove the speed debuff from rain. It's raining way too often in my game, and I can set my guys to cross a map, and go make coffee or something in the meantime.

Rest and wait it out?

I occasionally do, but it rains a lot.

Also, found the greatest of weapons (check the price):
    https://imgur.com/TIJpD0Y

Rhan9 on
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Well, bought it, downloaded it, and made my first character.
    Had no idea what to play as first, but when i got to character portrait screen the answer became clear the second when i saw the redhaired elvish vampire/ghoul/thing.
    Chaotic neutral, elven, necromancer.
    With the madwoman voice set naturally.
    Pity i could not get the hair right, there's just no right hair for her to be taken.
    Oh well.

Tutorial done, now of to the world, with an undead inquisitor, barbarian and a dwarven cleric who does not seem to have it all together in tow.
    Lowed the dialogue options, especially at the end.
    Ring? what ring? *shows hands*
    Especially i loved that i had an evil dialogue option, that was perfectly reasonable, if a bit cruel, sorry Linzi.

Nyysjan on
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    One thing this game desperately needs, is either a speed-up button, or to remove the speed debuff from rain. It's raining way too often in my game, and I can set my guys to cross a map, and go make coffee or something in the meantime.

Rest and wait it out?

I occasionally do, but it rains a lot.

Also, found the greatest of weapons (check the price):
    https://imgur.com/TIJpD0Y

I must have it! o.0

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I got a Twitch bounty to try this out so I'll be testing it out tomorrow (probably around noon est). I heard its complex though so we'll see how far I get before I get fed up with it. Or maybe I'll really like it and it will just click.

Oops! Spent the day with the GF. Post phoning til tomorrow, same time if anyone is still interested.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Well, bought it, downloaded it, and made my first character.
    Had no idea what to play as first, but when i got to character portrait screen the answer became clear the second when i saw the redhaired elvish vampire/ghoul/thing.
    Chaotic neutral, elven, necromancer.
    With the madwoman voice set naturally.
    Pity i could not get the hair right, there's just no right hair for her to be taken.
    Oh well.

Tutorial done, now of to the world, with an undead inquisitor, barbarian and a dwarven cleric who does not seem to have it all together in tow.
    Lowed the dialogue options, especially at the end.
    Ring? what ring? *shows hands*
    Especially i loved that i had an evil dialogue option, that was perfectly reasonable, if a bit cruel, sorry Linzi.

In reference to above tutorial spoiler,
    Y'know what was funny to me? Without knowing anything about the game or the characters, when that dude gave me that ring I immediately thought to myself, "Hmm, yeah let's not wear this."

Despite having no reason not to.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Tutorial:
    Is it possible to not get framed as a possible spy? If you went through that segment 100% flawlessly?

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Tutorial:
    Is it possible to not get framed as a possible spy? If you went through that segment 100% flawlessly?

No. I think it always ends with you both under suspicion.

edited October 2018
    Well, arrived at Oleg's trading post and i find the immediate glaring flaw in the game.
    NPC allies are either suicidal, or actively trying to kill me.

edit-
    Also, if i am doing the ambush, LET ME BUFF FIRST FOR FUCKS SAKE!!!!!
    Seriously, have we not learned anything in the past 20 years?

Nyysjan on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I'm 16 hours into this game, and I'm seriously considering putting it down.

It's not a bad game. The writing's interesting, the kingdom management stuff seems promising, and there's quite a bit of mechanical depth to the combat. My main problems with it are

1: The game has no respect for your time. If you stumble onto a bandit camp in the woods, you can expect to have to cut through a hundred enemies over at least ten encounters.
    2: The game makes a point of throwing enemies at you that are far above your level. There may be people who enjoy this, but for me it means I'll waste time trying every angle to win the encounter before giving up in frustration.
    3: The game inflates the combat stats of some of the enemies to the point that I can't imagine defeating them without serious cheeseball strategies. I just ran into a troll that killed my 90 hp 31 AC fighter in less than a round. Five attacks per round at well over +20 to hit, dealing more than 20 points of damage each, sent at me when I was level 6. It attacked so fast it sometimes didn't even have time for animations, spinning in a circle as it wiped out my summons and then casually walking through the group as it killed the rest of us.

I could obviously reduce the difficulty, but I can't imagine enjoying the game without the combat being a challenge since it takes up about 80% of the play time.

I'm pretty constantly hearing that they jacked up the stats to deal with min max builds (expecting the % party damage option to compensate for difficulty) and it just sounds like it always makes for some random encounter murdering you far harder than it should.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I have been killed a lot more than I would have expected playing on normal (or whatever the default difficulty is.) A lot more.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    A lot of it probably comes down to the fact that playing a given CRPG is like learning a language for what the game designer and system expect of you.

But yeah, unlike Divinity OS2 where people complaining about difficulty just hadn't yet internalized to always be crowd controlling Pathfinder's system seems a lot sloppier. Dunno, I'll have to keep playing to see where I wind up on the scale.

• VicVic Registered User regular
    I'm pretty constantly hearing that they jacked up the stats to deal with min max builds (expecting the % party damage option to compensate for difficulty) and it just sounds like it always makes for some random encounter murdering you far harder than it should.

It's the problem of making a game in this system. 3rd/3.5/Pathfinder have never been very well balanced. The difference between a regular character and one built for maximum defense might be 15 points of AC. As a result it's hard to make a monster that doesn't either need 20s to hit the minmaxed character at all, or hits the regular character with every attack.

I feel like they should've solved that with an XCOM style stacking bonus for each missed attack on both sides.

And also not balancing around min maxers because that way leads to madness.

• HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    End of Act 1 spoilers
    Just had Ekun kill Kargadd with a 66 damage crit. Nice to see that drama rules the virtual dice just it does real dice.

Also the Troll King just cut through my party like butter, I'm glad killing Tartukk ends the fight early. I had to let him go, though. I was in no shape to keep fighting

Hellbore on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Man if this is true it's pretty disappointing.

Don't try to balance it around mix/max players because it's just going to give everyone who doesn't go that path a bad time. On top of which people who mix/max and trivialize a game are probably doing that because they enjoy doing that so they're getting a worse experience as well so it ends up being a case of "Yay we made the game shittier for everyone!"

edited October 2018

Man if this is true it's pretty disappointing.

Don't try to balance it around mix/max players because it's just going to give everyone who doesn't go that path a bad time. On top of which people who mix/max and trivialize a game are probably doing that because they enjoy doing that so they're getting a worse experience as well so it ends up being a case of "Yay we made the game shittier for everyone!"
    Right, i mean, this is exactly what i talked about earlier.
    Minmax or gtfo, don't let the player get powerful no matter what.
    It's like a DM who punishes players for being creative, except there is no DM, and the game punishes you pre emptively for the simple possibility that you might be creative.

Nyysjan on
  • HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    It really seems that the best experience is on the Weak enemy setting. Other than the Act 1 boss wrecking my shit, I have not had too difficult a time, while still maintaining some challenge in encounters. You'll probably have to jack up the enemy damage to keep it that way, I have it set to 1x and it feels right.

edited October 2018
    Just how difficult is it to skin an animal?
    I mean, really, at +6 nature lore i am getting, at best, 1 out of 3 deer skins.

edit-
    And how often am i meant to rest?
    I fight 3 deer and 2 monitor lizards, and now half of my party is one hit away from death, and i still have giant spiders and swarms to deal with.

edit2-
    spider swarm has the armor class of 17? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!

edit-
    And i fail a roll to pick up berries, nice.

Nyysjan on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    This is totally useless, but if its as close to Pathfinder tabletop as it looks, how on earth did this game get past the d20 license. You explicitly can't make computer games with it and you can't create/level characters with just the OGL.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    This is totally useless, but if its as close to Pathfinder tabletop as it looks, how on earth did this game get past the d20 license. You explicitly can't make computer games with it and you can't create/level characters with just the OGL.

The OGL does not cover the 3.5 character creation rules.

Luckily, the Pathfinder character creation rules=/=the 3.5 character creation rules. Different experience tables etc.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

edit-
    I fight 3 deer and 2 monitor lizards, and now half of my party is one hit away from death, and i still have giant spiders and swarms to deal with.

edit2-

edit-

Swarms have Damage Resistance so the AC doesn't actually matter too much, don't bother trying to actually hit them. You absolutely have to use the bombs that you're given or AOE spells.

Yes though to the larger point, the stat creep and creature buffs are ridiculous and make it so anyone other than a hyper min/maxer familiar with the system will spend a lot of time hitting f8 waiting to roll 20s.

Edit: Resting is super buggy too. You can spend 2 days resting and get no health and no ability refresh.

dispatch.o on
    dispatch.o wrote: »

edit-

edit2-

edit-

Swarms have Damage Resistance so the AC doesn't actually matter too much, don't bother trying to actually hit them. You absolutely have to use the bombs that you're given or AOE spells.

Yes though to the larger point, the stat creep and creature buffs are ridiculous and make it so anyone other than a hyper min/maxer familiar with the system will spend a lot of time hitting f8 waiting to roll 20s.

Edit: Resting is super buggy too. You can spend 2 days resting and get no health and no ability refresh.

I did use the bombs, i give you two guesses on how useful they were.
    hint: not very

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

edit-

edit2-

edit-

I did use the bombs, i give you two guesses on how useful they were.
    hint: not very

Yeah, that's the whole press f8 over and over til the rolls land in your favor, which never feels super satisfying.

yeah, after about a dozen fights against some mercenerias working for artuccio, i decided to turn enemies to weak and put damage incoming to .4, suddenly, everything is better.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Your munchkin fu needs training.

I'm rolling with a wolf and a smilodon on charge the mage duty. Valerie and Amiri make serviceable druids, too, I guess?

Everything dies when you don't care about color spraying your front liners.

I suspect that the inflated nature skills are what keep me evading extra encounters. Yay, druids.

Also yay: bows, crossbows, and the relevant stop missing feats.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    Basil wrote: »

I'm rolling with a wolf and a smilodon on charge the mage duty. Valerie and Amiri make serviceable druids, too, I guess?

I suspect that the inflated nature skills are what keep me evading extra encounters. Yay, druids.

Right, that's the exact issue here, this game is built for munchkins, minmaxers, powergamers.
    Those who want to play a character built around a concept other than "demigod", can either put enemies to weak, or go play something else.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Right, that's the exact issue here, this game is built for munchkins, minmaxers, powergamers.
    Those who want to play a character built around a concept other than "demigod", can either put enemies to weak, or go play something else.

This statement is entirely incorrect. It is built for people who want to play Pathfinder, and who have a middling knowledge of that system.

This is a very accurate recreation of an actual, commercial Pathfinder tabletop module that you can go and run for your friends on the tabletop. Just like how Temple of Elemental Evil (The Video Game) was for Temple of Elemental Evil (The Module). I can't technically say that it's accurate like Baldur's Gate 1 was, because that was an adventure made bespoke for the video game, but Baldur's Gate could easily be converted into a 2E module if you really wanted to.

You do not have to build a munchkin character set to make it through the module. You do need a middling-to-decent amount of system knowledge, because tabletop modules do expect some level of system knowledge going in; ESPECIALLY when you're starting at level one.

If this were something like, an accurate recreation of Banewarrens, then absolutely that would be a game designed for powergamers and munchkins. But as far as I'm aware, there aren't any fucking phase trolls here.

Now, all that being said, what kind of character are you playing? Do you have any plans for when you run into something that outmatches you (and you will run into that)?

Don't get me wrong, this game will punish you if you do something stupid, and what is "stupid" can take some learning if this is your first time experiencing Pathfinder. But then again, everyone who has ever played tabletop games, ESPECIALLY systems that hew more towards the Old Ways, has a litany of characters dead either due to doing Something Stupid or just Rolling Poorly. It comes with the territory. And also, don't be afraid to just... leave some shit for later. Go kill some monsters, level up. Disarm traps. One HD and one extra base attack/spell in your pocket can make all the difference in a fight.

EDIT: Also, worth noting, if you are playing on Challenging difficulty, you are playing on Really Fucking Hard. Everything that hates you gets an equivalent of +8 to every single one of their stats. That is fucking bonkers. I already had a post on that, but there's no "tabletop accurate" setting out of the box. Gotta do some tweaking for it.

MechMantis on
    MechMantis wrote: »

This statement is entirely incorrect. It is built for people who want to play Pathfinder, and who have a middling knowledge of that system.

This is a very accurate recreation of an actual, commercial Pathfinder tabletop module that you can go and run for your friends on the tabletop. Just like how Temple of Elemental Evil (The Video Game) was for Temple of Elemental Evil (The Module). I can't technically say that it's accurate like Baldur's Gate 1 was, because that was an adventure made bespoke for the video game, but Baldur's Gate could easily be converted into a 2E module if you really wanted to.

You do not have to build a munchkin character set to make it through the module. You do need a middling-to-decent amount of system knowledge, because tabletop modules do expect some level of system knowledge going in; ESPECIALLY when you're starting at level one.

If this were something like, an accurate recreation of Banewarrens, then absolutely that would be a game designed for powergamers and munchkins. But as far as I'm aware, there aren't any fucking phase trolls here.

Now, all that being said, what kind of character are you playing? Do you have any plans for when you run into something that outmatches you (and you will run into that)?

Don't get me wrong, this game will punish you if you do something stupid, and what is "stupid" can take some learning if this is your first time experiencing Pathfinder. But then again, everyone who has ever played tabletop games, ESPECIALLY systems that hew more towards the Old Ways, has a litany of characters dead either due to doing Something Stupid or just Rolling Poorly. It comes with the territory. And also, don't be afraid to just... leave some shit for later. Go kill some monsters, level up. Disarm traps. One HD and one extra base attack/spell in your pocket can make all the difference in a fight.
    No, it is not, if tabletop rpg was as highly tuned as this game, few groups would make it through a session without a party wipe, or several.
    The enemies are too many, damage done too high.
    I looked around the net and it seems that the game has its enemiy stats buffed beyond what they should be.

Yes, my character is insanely underpowered, elven necromancer with str and con as dump stats, issue, yes, but she is usually the lst one to go down (because she stays at the back, because she knows she is not suited for any kind of physical activity).
    That's not the problem, issue is how underpowered all party members are as well, and how overpowered the simple enemy mobs are.
    And even if my character is unoptimized, she is a specialist wizard, with spell focus and greater spell focus, and int of 20, and basic non caster enemies can still pretty much just ignore all her spells with will saves.

THe tutorial section was actually well balanced, problems really just start when you go out into the world.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

EDIT: Also, worth noting, if you are playing on Challenging difficulty, you are playing on Really Fucking Hard. Everything that hates you gets an equivalent of +8 to every single one of their stats. That is fucking bonkers. I already had a post on that, but there's no "tabletop accurate" setting out of the box. Gotta do some tweaking for it.

Except if the game is pumping up the stats of enemies it's not Pathfinder, it's Pathfinder modified for reasons.

I don't think anyone is saying the game is unplayable, or at least I know I'm not. But if they modified things to juice up all the enemies to "combat" min/max players then I think that's a poor choice that punishes all players.

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    So, magi. How exactly do they work, UI-wise? Like, if I have spellsword on auto-use and cast a melee-touch attack, it will just passively add in the melee basic attack right? It's kind of hard to tell what's happening in the heat of battle.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    For real though, low level combat is some thunderdome shit. Everything is lethal to everyone, so don't let lethal things happen to people you don't want dead.

This feels to me like a more forgiving version of bg1 with better scripting. On the other hand, bg1 may have gotten the lessons out of the way.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    I played through BG1 this summer, including the sword coast tales expansion.
    It's way more forgiving to anyone who does not try to explore too far away from the main path before getting couple levels and a full party to go with them.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna return this. It's a good game, but it's not what I want.

I'll check back in a few months to see if anybody has figured out how to mod in fully turn-based combat, I might reconsider it at that point.

There is definitely some degree of an invisible learning curve with these games. I am steadily progressing without issue. I die a lot, of course, but I also have a lot
    of fights where I wipe in seconds, reload and try a new approach, then breeze through. I have also run into places where I knew I had to return later.

I never played tabletop, but I did play the BG games on rerelease. The difficulty and flow of play here feels very similar. Just like a bullet hell shooter or fighting game, there are barriers of entry to new players. But also just like those games, there’s a great experience for those who see the fun and are willing to push past the learnig curve.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    As a long time fan of Infinity Engine games and NWN series this game feels right to me.

And that’s largely the point of its existence.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Once you find the difficulty settings that work for you they are pretty decent nostalgia bomb.
    But i think they could have learned some lessons from older games, like not autowalking my team into obvious traps and stuff.

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Once you find the difficulty settings that work for you they are pretty decent nostalgia bomb.
    But i think they could have learned some lessons from older games, like not autowalking my team into obvious traps and stuff.

Turn on the option to auto pause when you spot a trap. Problem solved.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    The one default I think should automatically be turned off is the one for party members to only gain XP as part of the party. It’s a convention that needed to die anyway.

I do think it is a relic of an abandoned design decision. I feel like, at one point in development, they might have wanted the advisor/party slots to be mutually exclusive roles.

Phillishere on
    edited October 2018

Turn on the option to auto pause when you spot a trap. Problem solved.
    Not that kind of traps. :p
    And i have that option turned on already.

edit-
    Though i guess i should have said, don't enemies surround you in cutscenes.
    Or that when doing an ambush, don't bunch up in direct line of sight of the enemy.

Nyysjan on
This discussion has been closed.