As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So, what are some steps to take to prepare oneself for the worse possible outcome?

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
Lets say you're single, a citizen of the USA, have debt and doesn't own property.

Then, sometime in the near future, ICE is going door to door looking for immigrants. DNC is being raided by extremists. Media is heavily censored. You can live a 'normal' life if you ignore all of this, but try as you might you can't ignore the fire near the powder keg. And you seeing this happening all around the world, there's no place to 'get out of dodge'.

So what are some steps to protect yourself in this situation? Have lots of liquid cash? Get lots of property? Become a high ranking member of the military?

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Lets say you're single, a citizen of the USA, have debt and doesn't own property.

Then, sometime in the near future, ICE is going door to door looking for immigrants. DNC is being raided by extremists. Media is heavily censored. You can live a 'normal' life if you ignore all of this, but try as you might you can't ignore the fire near the powder keg. And you seeing this happening all around the world, there's no place to 'get out of dodge'.

So what are some steps to protect yourself in this situation? Have lots of liquid cash? Get lots of property? Become a high ranking member of the military?

Look to stable nations like Uruguay that have light entry requirements and reasonable income limits for immigrants. Europe is tightening the screws on anyone but the wealthy, but there are a lot of opportunities for migration to Latin America and China.

Also, there are language immersion programs that can get you to a reasonable level of proficiency quickly. For Spanish, I'd recommend looking into the schools in Antigua, Guatemala. It's their local industry.

On the larger level, realize that migration because of work and politics is not unusual globally. The horror most Americans experience at the prospect is primarily a sign of heavy nationalistic propaganda at work.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, the DNC is being raided by "extremists"? And that's being equivocated to ICE?

Y I K E S

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Realize the world is a large, diverse and wondrous place. Realize that the problems we are experiencing are bad but not irreversible on a long enough timeline, and that the best bulwark against the rising tide of awfulness is increasing your personal worth/value through education, travel (if possible), and cultural awareness.

If things ever get so bad here that finding another place to live seems like a needed option, make sure you are someone desirable to have wherever you wish to go, either through job experience, knowing the local language, etc. Being able to secure a job over there and meeting whatever requirements are needed to hold that job is usually 100% required for immigration unless you are independently wealthy enough to ignore that rule.

Also realize these processes are generally costly and they can take months/years.

I think my topline request would be to not go down the road of thinking you need to be a cash-only, property holding, gun toting person to be safe. People who go down that road statistically are more likely to come to harm than people who manage to avoid the (unhealthy) paranoia and function normally in the system. If you feel you want to leave, start the normal process of doing so. If you want to stay, vote folks in who can make this place feel less unwelcome.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Doobh wrote: »
    I'm sorry, the DNC is being raided by "extremists"? And that's being equivocated to ICE?

Y I K E S

“One party has taken over” is how I read that. The winds aren’t exactly blowing the Dems’ way, are they?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Well, I didn't intend for this thread to become a 'which nation should I flee to' thread.

Mostly, I'm talking about what one can do to stay in the USA. I guess fleeing the nation is an option of last resort, but there has to be some things one can do before it gets that bad.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I can tell you right now that Liquid Cash will only protect you if:
    a. The US state still stands strong (otherwise it's worthless)
    b. They haven't declared paper currency illegal.
    c. Inflation isn't a huge issue
    d. You still need to get moving.
    Generally raw currency is the least good way of surviving trouble. Gold tends to be a safer investment since tends to be inflation proof. But definitely not foolproof. Gold can be stolen if individual rights are not respected. Hell. If you travel with gold or money in certain parts of the US it can be stolen right fucking now, legally, by the police (it's called civil forfeiture).

Property is only worth something if property is respected. You can't move property, so it's one of the most vulnerable forms of property. Ask the Palestinians about how safe their property has been.

Overall, the safest way of surviving disaster is preventing it from ever happening. Get politicly involved and promote fairer laws, promote better training for the police force and less authoritarian policing, promote measures to lower corruption in politics, the police and administration and reduce political extremism.
    Educate yourself so that you know what these things are.
    Promote your local community, because man is weakest when he's alone and without friends.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Well, I didn't intend for this thread to become a 'which nation should I flee to' thread.

Mostly, I'm talking about what one can do to stay in the USA. I guess fleeing the nation is an option of last resort, but there has to be some things one can do before it gets that bad.

I guess my rejoinder would be to start getting to the point where leaving stops being an option of last resort. That's a great way to get trapped because you waited too long.

Immigration is normal and natural. Lots of people do it and have long, happy lives.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I guess my rejoinder would be to start getting to the point where leaving stops being an option of last resort. That's a great way to get trapped because you waited too long.

Immigration is normal and natural. Lots of people do it and have long, happy lives.

This is why I've worked on building wealth and assets and plan to get a master's. Between a respectable net worth, high level of education, and being fluent in Chinese I'm hoping to be relatively attractive to the Canadian government in a few years.

I don't know that I'd actually do it, I'm already living a relatively safe and comfortable life here in the states, but it's an option I'd like to have available.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    well, if you're seriously looking for some suggestions

do what I tell all prospective leftists to do: learn how to do useful shit like farming, tailoring, first-aid, and (in a worst-case scenario) firearm handling (like, the whole 9 yards worth of training - more than simply knowing how to operate a firearm)

find/build, or reinforce a community that already exists - find people you can depend on, and who trust you enough to depend on you

on that note: learn spanish, stockpile abortion drugs, make connections to local activist groups that suit your particular political leanings, etc.

find your fight and prepare for it

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hokay.

It's not that there isn't a good discussion to be had in "what are things people can do to combat the bad things that are currently happening." And it's not that there isn't fun to be had in "what do you if the zombie apocalypse happens?"

But this thread is kind of a worrying mix of all those things, and it's not going to go anywhere good.

I'm going to lock it, and @Casually Hardcore is welcome to create something new and focused that does not consist of weapons grade alarmism like "y'all should stockpile arms and join a commune."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.