As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I love that Yzan ultimately survived. Sometimes the worst ones walk away without a scratch, and that's just how it goes.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I don't know, but it is beautiful and I want it?

Incidentally, going over to a friend's place to hang out and nerd around, so hopefully I make some progress (or dare I say finish?) the Astaroth. Then I can begin adventures in airbrushing.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    @Bluedude152 it's cos frame arms don't have the same market presence as gunpla does in the US so ya gotta pay those import fees

fwiw hobby search has the new cool variant of that kit for like $60 but that's still before shipping

uc3ufTB.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    That sucks

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    So that's Byakko and Genbu, is Shinkawa going to complete the Four Gods by doing a Seiryu and Suzaku?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

It's Kotobukia, they are always more expensive than an equivalent Gundam kit.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    More importantly, why is something named after Genbu the Black Tortoise not, you know, colored black? I mean, come on.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    More importantly, why is something named after Genbu the Black Tortoise not, you know, colored black? I mean, come on.
    Have you met the Grey Zeta? :P

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Trying the sandpaper pads, 3600 grit mostly. It's definitely smoothing the pieces, but there's still stress coloring/whitening. I'm not sure how to deal with that. Maybe not snip the pieces flush to the body, and then sand down the rest of the way despite how long that would take?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I approve of gray zeta, because it was yellow in the fiction specifically in spite of the pilot's wishes due to technical constraints with the anti-beam tech

BahamutZERO.gif
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I’m not the most skilled but yeah, snip on the sprue not flush to the object, slice down the flash bit by bit until it’s relatively flush and then sand. I also feel like it’s color dependent on how well sanding helps or just makes a very obvious area the was sanded but that might be on me.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Progress!

New phone means better-ish pictures.

96b6lcrlf2xt.jpg

txsy4wg5wp3n.jpg

9mnypvtu0pkf.jpg

Still have a lot of work to do, and I am noticing the little bits that need to be blue or black or green, and on spot on the head that needs to be red. I am also going to go back over all the blue and go a bit brighter so that it pops more. Getting there? Yeah, getting there, very gradually.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Have you met the Grey Zeta? :P

To be fair, in fiction the pilot apparently calls it "buster" not "grey Zeta". It's just other characters not being willing to let go of the fact that Matsunaga is known as "the grey wolf".

As for the real-world matter of the creator's choice to call it that? It's not the first time the Gundam franchise has played with the concept of the vanity of ace pilots. See the running gag of people mistaking Johnny "Crimson Lightning" Ridden for Char "Red Comet" Aznable.

Still, all of this makes me think of Capcom having Proto Man's name be 'Blues'.
    38uytk6laqcr.jpg
    Yes, I get that it's in keeping with the music theme-naming of Rock (Mega Man) and Roll. It's still dumb.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Athenor wrote: »
    Trying the sandpaper pads, 3600 grit mostly. It's definitely smoothing the pieces, but there's still stress coloring/whitening. I'm not sure how to deal with that. Maybe not snip the pieces flush to the body, and then sand down the rest of the way despite how long that would take?

I use the sanding mostly to clean up nub marks. The best use of the set you bought would be for prepping for paint, as you don't get into a high enough grit to polish a piece. I also assume you're dry sanding, which will leave more marks than when wet sanding.

If you want an easy way to restore gloss to a part, get one of those multi-function nail files that has seven different grits from very rough to buffing. Always work in perpendiculars, meaning do one layer of abrasiveness in horizontal, then next in vertical, then third in horizontal, etc., This gives a visual indicator as to when the previous layer has been completely worked away.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    thanks for the advice again. :)

I keep seeing Unicorn Gundams at the store, in 1/144 scale. I.. I wish I knew more about Gundam, because I really want something with mechanical wings and lots of pointy/energy bits. I have always wanted a model of Escaflowne, and I have talked in the past about wanting any kind of Veritech I can get ahold of.. So yeah. I think Unicorn might be the direction I should look.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    If you want wings, why not the Wing Zero Endless Waltz version

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Don't tempt me

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    The Death Scythe Hell also has wings, though less articulated than the Wing Zero.
    http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/XXXG-01D2_Gundam_Deathscythe_Hell?file=Gundam_Deathscythe_Hell_EW_6.jpg

Also it has some spiky bits.

• IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Why not Double Zeta?

AKA MSZ-010 ZZ Gundam.

• OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    For mechanical wings I would recommend the MG Freedom Gundam ver. 2.0.

Also, while it's not mechanical wings I like my HG Star Build Strike Gundam Plavsky Wing.
    d2w1zrocmpzy.jpg
    I want to note that I really like that the parts you take off to attach the wing parts are stored on the stand it comes with.

• simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    I think I want my next kit to be the real grade unicorn

TGG5XTY.jpg

Proto Zero!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
    [checks Amazon again for the Moon Gundam]

"Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on November 28, 2018."

Bluefin why is it so far away

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    [checks Amazon again for the Moon Gundam]

"Available for Pre-order. This item will be released on November 28, 2018."

Bluefin why is it so far away

I currently have a moon shipping to me from hobbylink so maybe check around.

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited October 2018

I keep seeing Unicorn Gundams at the store, in 1/144 scale. I.. I wish I knew more about Gundam, because I really want something with mechanical wings and lots of pointy/energy bits. I have always wanted a model of Escaflowne, and I have talked in the past about wanting any kind of Veritech I can get ahold of.. So yeah. I think Unicorn might be the direction I should look.

If you want something with energy wings, you can get the 1/144 Star Build Strike. This is essentially the HGBF Build Strike Full Package without the Full Package booster and instead with the Universe Booster sans the base and big yellow portal parts. There's also a master grade version of the separate kits, but not combined kit. The HG does come with the stand shown in the below picture.

71adNbDP5XL._SL1200_.jpg

If you want something with more colorful wings, there's the MG Destiny Extreme Blast.

51cf%2B6mMOAL.jpg

If you want the complexity of a master grade but in a 1/144 scale figure, there's the RG Strike Freedom. It has both very good mechanical wings and numerous energy weapons.

715e9nGV83L._SL1347_.jpg

Heffling on

Looking for more mechanical than feathers, but.. I was eyeing this for a long time in the store.
    see317 wrote: »
    The Death Scythe Hell also has wings, though less articulated than the Wing Zero.
    http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/XXXG-01D2_Gundam_Deathscythe_Hell?file=Gundam_Deathscythe_Hell_EW_6.jpg

Also it has some spiky bits.

Deathscythe is on my list.
    Why not Double Zeta?

AKA MSZ-010 ZZ Gundam.

See last thread. I wouldn't call those wings, but I'm definitely a fan.
    Orivon wrote: »
    For mechanical wings I would recommend the MG Freedom Gundam ver. 2.0.

Also, while it's not mechanical wings I like my HG Star Build Strike Gundam Plavsky Wing.
    [im.g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/z4/d2w1zrocmpzy.jpg[/img]
    I want to note that I really like that the parts you take off to attach the wing parts are stored on the stand it comes with.

The Freedom is kind of what I'm looking for!
    Lanz wrote: »

[im.g]https://i.imgur.com/TGG5XTY.jpg[/img]

Proto Zero!

OoooooOOOOOoooooo.....
    Heffling wrote: »

If you want something with energy wings, you can get the 1/144 Star Build Strike. This is essentially the HGBF Build Strike Full Package without the Full Package booster and instead with the Universe Booster sans the base and big yellow portal parts. There's also a master grade version of the separate kits, but not combined kit. The HG does come with the stand shown in the below picture.

[im.g]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71adNbDP5XL._SL1200_.jpg[/img]

If you want something with more colorful wings, there's the MG Destiny Extreme Blast.

[img.]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51cf+6mMOAL.jpg[/img]

If you want the complexity of a master grade but in a 1/144 scale figure, there's the RG Strike Freedom. It has both very good mechanical wings and numerous energy weapons.

[im.g]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/715e9nGV83L._SL1347_.jpg[/img]

oooh, the Destiny Extreme Blast and RG Strike Freedom are both awesome!

In other news -- anyone know how tall/big super Minipla Zords are? Bluefin just announced that the Power Rangers In Space models are going to come out over here.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Minipla Zords are maybe a little bigger than the average HG, but are HG or less in parts complexity. And have a bunch of stickers. And go for about $50 in the US.

Renzo wrote: »
    Minipla Zords are maybe a little bigger than the average HG, but are HG or less in parts complexity. And have a bunch of stickers. And go for about $50 in the US.

That's what I was worried about. The price just seemed to low, given the size of your typical action figure Zord. But at the price, I was like.. maybe?

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/10/08/bluefin-brands-announces-super-mini-pla-astro-megazord-and-delta-megazord-56089

Anyways. I think.. THINK I found a place that will sell HMM Liger Zero Panzer at a reasonable price (it's been going for $160 on Amazon for a couple months now). The site is a place out of Hong Kong that I've never heard of, though, which worries me.

C_wivC4UQAADc2D?format=jpg

thic

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    I would've called it swoll. Its bulk seems to be all upper body strength.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I would've called it swoll. Its bulk seems to be all upper body strength.

Definitely looks like somebody skipped leg day.

Had a little bit of time today to do some more work, and practice my technique.

I really need that emery / polishing board. These pads are nice, but they take up a lot of room, and I find myself hitting the entire side instead of just the nub I want. Still, a few swipes at each grit, up to the max, does seem to be having an effect. I just.. can't picture doing one of my larger models at this level, but this definitely seems better if I'm going to paint it.

Here's my earliest work this night...

tpQbve4h.jpg

And the finished product, about an hour later.

tKBQSYgh.jpg

oXpW7z2h.jpg

And just for completeness, here's what I've gotten done so far on this model. It is going to need glue, because it has so many small pieces. The original version (with the CPs installed and covered in over 10 years of dust) behind.

rKFdQfwh.jpg

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    I’ve learned that looking how parts fit together to determine whether I have to go crazy on removing nub marks can save quite a bit of time; on my Jegan I was busy with every nub mark, and spent quite a bit of time there.

I am being more aware of this working on my Zock, BUT I decided to remove seam lines there which demands far more filing/sanding, so that takes even longer :lol: :rotate:

I am looking at my Guntank that I am about to start, and I think I’ll only seam-line-remove the big guns, and that’s it.

It really is finding a balance of how far I want to go versus how much fun actually building I want to have.

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I saw a really cool a picture of a Master Grade Buster Gundam from Seed and now I've started looking at both Seed kits and Seed MSIA. I have a couple Seed MSIA and they were being made around the end of the life of the MSIA line so they are really good quality, but I previously stuck with primarily UC and Build Fighters kits with few exceptions (MG Heavy Arms and HG Lupus Rex and soon an RG Talgeese). I'm really liking the look of the Duel Gundam Assault Shroud kit and that may be my next Master Grade after I build the two RGs (GP01 and Talgeese) I'm waiting on.

NSDFRand on
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    C_wivC4UQAADc2D?format=jpg

thic

yo this is fantastic

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Who is that beefy boy

Rouie head, barbatos lupus hands, grimedge legs, whatever gundam people made a million shovel knight customs out of for torso

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Helmweige Reincar, the saddest upgrade in Gundam history. They turned the Grimgerde into that. It was so zoomy and graceful and it becomes a sword caddy.

Oh brilliant
    The store had a MG HeavyArms EW in... and it finally hit me, what was bugging me about that model. It's the red and yellow! The box had a picture of HeavyArms in a blue, which I found I liked WAY more. But I don't know if that kit comes with that blue armor or not. I doubt it.